|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Whitney's father give her in Chapter 10?
(a) A sapphire.
(b) A diamond.
(c) A ruby.
(d) An emerald.
2. What does Whitney do instead of visiting Paul in Chapter 10?
(a) Whitney has tea with her father.
(b) Whitney visits the shops.
(c) Whitney visits Emily.
(d) Whitney has a nap.
3. What does the doctor say he will tell Clayton about Whitney's condition?
(a) That she will recover quicker at the seaside.
(b) That it is "women's problems".
(c) That she is faking.
(d) That it is hard to diagnose.
4. What does Whitney beg Clayton for in Chapter 18?
(a) Money to help her father.
(b) To marry her.
(c) To release her from the betrothal contract.
(d) To switch his interest to Elizabeth.
5. Who is outraged by Martin's tirade at Whitney at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Martin himself.
(c) Lady Anne.
6. What has caused Whitney to be a source of gossip amongst her neighbors?
(a) Her rude behavior towards her elders.
(b) Her feelings and actions towards Paul.
(c) Her strange fashion sense.
(d) Her tomboyishness.
7. What does the doctor realize after examining Whitney?
(a) Whitney is seriously ill.
(b) Whitney is pregnant.
(c) Whitney she be moved to a hospital.
(d) Whitney is not injured.
8. What does Lady Anne try to downplay in Chapter 13?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Paul's affection for Whitney.
(c) Clayton's good points.
(d) Whitney's beauty.
9. At the end of Chapter 20, to which event does Clayton invite Whitney?
(a) A horse race.
(b) A ball in London.
(c) A birthday party.
(d) A dinner party.
10. What impresses Whitney when she has dinner at Clayton's house?
(a) Clayton's manners.
(b) His art collection.
(c) The meal served.
(d) His pretentious servants.
11. Who do Emily and Whitney see while out riding in Chapter 10?
(c) Emily's husband.
12. How does Paul react to Whitney's attention?
(a) With shock.
(b) With amusement.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With embarrassment.
13. What is Whitney wearing when Lord and Lady Gilbert arrive at the Estate?
(a) Whitney is weaing a nightgown.
(b) Whitney is wearing male trousers.
(c) Whitney is wearing an apron.
(d) Whitney is wearing a ballgown.
14. Where do Lord and Lady Gilbert take Whitney?
15. What does the letter from Emily say in Chapter 5?
(a) Emily is joining her in Paris.
(b) Emily is ill.
(c) Emily is entering a convent.
(d) Emily has married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lady Anne worry about at the party?
2. Where did Clayton see Whitney for the very first time?
3. What kind of horse does Whitney arrange for Clayton?
4. What does Martin admit to Lady Anne in Chapter 9?
5. What happens to Whitney in the midst of the race?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)