|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Whitney wake determined to do in Chapter 17?
(a) Go back to France.
(b) Marry Paul.
(c) Find Elizabeth a suitor.
(d) Marry Clayton.
2. What is Whitney convinced of when she arrives at the ball?
(a) That she is going to love Paris life.
(b) That she is the prettiest girl at the ball.
(c) That her dress is the shabbiest of all.
(d) That no one will ask her to dance.
3. How is Whitney related to Lord and Lady Gilbert?
(a) Whitney is their goddaughter.
(b) Whitney is their cousin.
(c) Whitney is their daughter.
(d) Whitney is their niece.
4. How old is Whitney in Chapter 1?
5. Who does Whitney travel to the picnic with?
(a) Lady Anne.
(d) Nicolas DeVille.
6. At the party, what do people place bets on during dinner?
(a) Who Claymore will marry.
(b) Who Paul will marry.
(c) Who Whitney will marry.
(d) Who Elizabeth will marry.
7. What is Clayton Westmoreland dressed as at the masquerade party?
(a) A devil.
(b) Robin Hood.
(c) A knight.
(d) A ghost.
8. What is the name of Whitney's horse?
9. What happens to Whitney in the midst of the race?
(a) She faints.
(b) She slows down to let Clayton win.
(c) She gets knocked off her horse.
(d) She stops to pick flowers.
10. What is Whitney thrilled to discover in Chapter 10?
(a) Clayton is interested in her.
(b) Nicolas is coming to England for a visit.
(c) Paul is going to ask for her hand.
(d) Paul is jealous of Whitney dancing with Clayton.
11. How does Paul react to Whitney's attention?
(a) With shock.
(b) With embarrassment.
(c) With amusement.
(d) With indifference.
12. Who visits the Stones for dinner in Chapter 13?
(c) The Duke of Lansberry.
(d) Nicolas DuVille.
13. What does Whitney wear when Clayton comes to visit in Chapter 17?
(a) Her best dress.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) Men's trousers.
(d) A servant's dress.
14. Where did Clayton see Whitney for the very first time?
(a) Walking in a park in London.
(b) In a millinery shop.
(c) At a costume ball.
(d) At a picnic in Paris.
15. What does Clayton have his lawyer write up?
(a) A will.
(b) A betrothal contract.
(c) A business proposal.
(d) A land deed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say he will tell Clayton about Whitney's condition?
2. Which item does Margaret wonder about having left in Clayton's carriage?
3. Where is the doctor from that Clayton calls for?
4. Martin tells Whitney she cannot marry Paul for what reason?
5. After seeing her new room, what does Whitney anticipate of her time in Paris?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)