|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Millat hiding under his jacket at Marcus' opening?
2. Where does Hortense plan to spend the last day of the world?
3. What diagnosis does Joyce believe fits Millat?
4. Who does Ambrosia meet on King Street the day of the earthquake?
5. Which of these is not a leaflet given to Millat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hortense eat everything very hot?
2. Why does Joshua seem so calm as they drive toward the Perret Institute?
3. What is Magid's confusion about his new jeans?
4. Describe the circumstances surrounding Hortense Bowden's birth.
5. What question from Archie starts the bickering on top of the bus?
6. What tenet of his new religion is Millat finding it most difficult to follow?
7. What is FATE's apparent plan to disrupt the press conference?
8. What is the opinion of the girl in the airport of Marcus' latest book?
9. What argument is Irie having with Clara?
10. What surprise about his closest friend does Samad receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the truth of this statement: Every moment happens twice: inside and outside, and they are two different histories.
Essay Topic 2
Several of Smith's male characters have aspirations to being heroes. Choose two characters and compare and contrast their feelings about heroism and what, if anything, they do to achieve that status.
Essay Topic 3
Religion plays a large part in this novel. Please choose two characters and discuss how their religion--or lack of same--affects their life and story, and how it corresponds with their identity.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)