|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Archie see as an omen?
2. What do the Jones and Iqbal families watch on November 10, 1989?
3. How are Magid and Irie protesting their banishment from the Harvest Festival?
4. Who is Zinat Mahal?
5. What was bhang?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ryan and Clara have in common?
2. Describe Clara Bowden.
3. What is Samad's rationale for driving off into the country with the prisoner and eventually killing him?
4. Why has O'Connell's become so important to Samad and Archie?
5. Describe the conditions in which Archie Jones and Samad Iqbal met.
6. How does Maureen feel about Archie?
7. How does Clara's speech change when she is excited?
8. Why is the place named "O'Connell's"?
9. What do Samad and Alsana argue about?
10. What is the response to the hanging of Mangal Pande's portrait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Samad so disappointed by Magid's stay in the old country? What did he hope would happen? What does he mean by "more English than the English"?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel there are various references to teeth. Please choose several of these and explain their importance/relevance to the story as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Several of Smith's male characters have aspirations to being heroes. Choose two characters and compare and contrast their feelings about heroism and what, if anything, they do to achieve that status.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)