|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samad do right after his fight with Alsana?
2. What does Clara's witnessing sash say?
3. What injury does Clara sustain in the bike accident?
4. What do the village children want from Archie?
5. What does "Satyagraha" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alsana retaliate against Samad for sending Magid away?
2. What does Alsana mean when she says that Clara's baby and her own will have "daddy-long-legs" for fathers?
3. Describe O'Connell's Poolroom.
4. How does Maureen feel about Archie?
5. Describe the difference between Millat and Magid Iqbal.
6. How does Kelvin Hero treat Archie?
7. What is the main source of tension between Archie and Clara as they move into their new house?
8. How does Samad defuse the situation with Mad Mary in the church courtyard?
9. Why is the place named "O'Connell's"?
10. Describe Clara Bowden.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Irie find at her grandmother's that she didn't realize she was searching for? Would knowing some of this information earlier have changed things for her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Samad so disappointed by Magid's stay in the old country? What did he hope would happen? What does he mean by "more English than the English"?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in "White Teeth" is that of identity. Choose two main characters and compare the roots of their identities: how do they identify themselves? How do others identify them? Are these the same or different? How?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)