|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Mrs. Paley's first teaching jobs located?
2. What was the name of the boy in Mrs. Paley's class in Chapter 4?
3. How did Mrs. Paley feel about her new job in Chapter 3?
4. What did Mrs. Paley note she tended to have higher expectations for?
5. What did Mrs. Paley realize ethnic speech had little to do with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mrs. Paley decided to write "White Teacher."
2. Describe Mrs. Paley's first black student.
3. What did Mrs. Paley and her friends advocate?
4. What did Mrs. Paley limit Steven to and what was the result?
5. Discuss how Mrs. Paley punished poor behavior in Chapter 2.
6. Discuss what Mrs. Paley learned from Janet Albright.
7. Describe what Janet felt she was meant to do?
8. Describe what made Mrs. Paley unsure of herself in her classroom in Chapter 6.
9. How did Mrs. Paley feel about Janet?
10. What did Arlene and Mary Ann discover in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Mrs. Paley finally gained her first black student's trust and what that meant for Mrs. Paley as a teacher.
Essay Topic 2
Explain and describe how Mrs. Paley disciplined the disruptive boy in Chapter 5 to rid him from his bad behavior. Detail its success or failure.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Janet Albright and why she was so successful at soothing the children when they were uncomfortable or in pain.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)