|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Barbara ask everyone in the class?
2. What did the person Mrs. Paley was with ask her in the preface?
3. What happened after Mrs. Paley's limited the young boy in Chapter 5?
4. What did the exploration of ethnicity do for Mrs. Paley's students?
5. Who disrupted the good friends in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Mrs. Paley began to do in Chapter 5.
2. How did Mrs. Paley feel about Janet?
3. Discuss what Mrs. Paley's friend asked her in the preface.
4. Describe Fred and what his problems were.
5. Discuss what Mrs. Paley tried to use from her own experiences in connection to her student's.
6. Describe what made Mrs. Paley unsure of herself in her classroom in Chapter 6.
7. What did Mrs. Paley want to achieve in her classroom from the protests?
8. What did Janet Albright explain to the hurt child about friendship?
9. Discuss how Mrs. Paley punished poor behavior in Chapter 2.
10. What did Mrs. Paley question about her pleasure from the formed friendships in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Mrs. Paley highlighting racial differences did for her classroom, her black students, and herself.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Claire finally assimilated into the behaviors and nuances of the classroom.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the black clique in Chapter 13 is an example of the book's theme of exclusion of whites in a world that excludes blacks.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)