|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Paley accept a job in Chapter 3?
2. What was the name of the boy in Mrs. Paley's class in Chapter 4?
3. Where did Mrs. Paley mostly teach in Chapter 1?
4. What did Mrs. Paley note she tended to have higher expectations for?
5. What did Mrs. Paley invite parents to send with their children to class in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what made Mrs. Paley unsure of herself in her classroom in Chapter 6.
2. Discuss what Mrs. Paley learned from Janet Albright.
3. Discuss what Mrs. Paley tried to use from her own experiences in connection to her student's.
4. Describe what Mrs. Paley struggled with that prompted her to write "White Teacher."
5. What did ignoring racial differences eventually do in Mrs. Paley's classroom?
6. Describe the child in Chapter 4 who used foul language and his behavior.
7. What did Mrs. Paley want to achieve in her classroom from the protests?
8. Describe what Janet felt she was meant to do?
9. Describe what the black parent in Chapter 3 said about ignoring racial differences.
10. What did Mrs. Paley limit Steven to and what was the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Claire finally assimilated into the behaviors and nuances of the classroom.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Mrs. Paley finally gained her first black student's trust and what that meant for Mrs. Paley as a teacher.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast why Janet felt she need to teach in an all black school and Mrs. Paley's feeling that she needed to be in an interracial school.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)