|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Mrs. Paley want to explain her classroom's goings on to?
(a) No one.
(c) The principle.
(d) The student teacher.
2. What was wrong with Fred?
(a) He had infantile speech.
(b) He was mean and ugly.
(c) He was beaten at home.
(d) He was mentality disabled.
3. Where did Mrs. Paley's student teacher insist she was needed at?
(a) A mixed school.
(b) An all black school.
(c) A special school.
(d) An all white school.
4. Where did Mrs. Paley accept a job in Chapter 3?
(a) A private segregated school.
(b) A private integrated school.
(c) A public segregated school.
(d) A public integrated school.
5. What did Mrs. Paley realize ethnic speech had little to do with?
(a) Knowledge of the speaker.
(b) Racial inequalities.
(c) Racial appreciations.
(d) Intelligence of the speaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Paley's actions encourage for her students to do in Chapter 5?
2. Who did Mrs. Paley go to for advice in Chapter 2?
3. In the preface, what was Mrs. Paley doing?
4. Where did Mrs. Paley think in Chapter 1 she would like to teach?
5. Where were Mrs. Paley's first teaching jobs located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mrs. Paley's friend suggest about Mrs. Paley's interest in her students?
2. Discuss what issue Mrs. Paley highlighted in Chapter 3-6?
3. What did Mrs. Paley's colleagues suggest about Fred?
4. What did Mrs. Paley want to achieve in her classroom from the protests?
5. What did ignoring racial differences eventually do in Mrs. Paley's classroom?
6. Discuss what Steven almost forced Mrs. Paley to do.
7. Discuss how Mrs. Paley punished poor behavior in Chapter 2.
8. Describe Mrs. Paley's first black student.
9. Describe Janet Albright.
10. Describe the child in Chapter 4 who used foul language and his behavior.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)