|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the preface, what was Mrs. Paley doing?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Sharing a story.
(c) Having lunch.
(d) Cooking a meal.
2. Where did Mrs. Paley mostly teach in Chapter 1?
(a) Poor schools.
(b) Private schools.
(c) Mixed schools.
(d) White schools.
3. What did the young boy in Mrs. Paley's class do to be scolded in Chapter 4?
(a) Foul language.
(b) A crayon.
(c) The drawing easel.
(d) Permanent marker on the wall.
4. How did Mrs. Paley respond to the boy's behavior in Chapter 4?
(a) Ignored it.
(b) Yelled at him.
(c) Praised it.
(d) Sent him to the office.
5. How did Mrs. Paley feel about her place in society by the end of Chapter 2?
(a) Happy with her place in society.
(b) Unhappy with her job.
(c) Unhappy with her lack of action.
(d) Happy that her race was getting recognition in society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became good friends in Mrs. Paley's class in Chapter 10?
2. What did Mrs. Paley believe helped the disruptive young boy?
3. What did Mrs. Paley desire in her new job?
4. What did Mrs. Paley note she tended to have higher expectations for?
5. What was the name of Mrs. Paley's first black student?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Mrs. Paley's friend asked her in the preface.
2. What did Arlene and Mary Ann discover in Chapter 7?
3. Discuss what Mrs. Paley learned from Janet Albright.
4. What did Mrs. Paley's colleagues suggest about Fred?
5. Describe Janet Albright.
6. Discuss what Steven almost forced Mrs. Paley to do.
7. How did Mrs. Paley feel about Janet?
8. What did Mrs. Paley question about her pleasure from the formed friendships in Chapter 7?
9. Discuss what Mrs. Paley tried to use from her own experiences in connection to her student's.
10. Describe what the black parent in Chapter 3 said about ignoring racial differences.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)