|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Niki lies and says Astrid has a boyfriend, where does she say he lives?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 25, what is Rena's latest money-making idea?
3. In what month do Claire and Astrid go to visit Ingrid?
4. How much money does Ron give Astrid when she leaves their house?
5. What does Claire decide to skip as a result of her depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Astrid feel about the possibility of Ingrid being released from prison?
2. How does Astrid treat Tasha? Why?
3. How does Astrid feel about attention? How does she show this when she shows up at MAC?
4. Describe Rena's home.
5. After meeting her biological father, how does Astrid feel about him?
6. What role does money play in Rena's home?
7. How does Ron react to Astrid telling him Claire has been talking about suicide?
8. What offers does Ingrid get from others when she is released? Why does she take them?
9. Why doesn't Astrid want to stay with Ron after Claire's death?
10. What is symbolic of Astrid rearranging her mother's letters into a poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the mothers that Astrid faces in her life. Which of them would you consider good mothers? What about bad mothers and people in general? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the character names in the novel. Many of the women's names are unique in comparison to other contemporary names -- Astrid, Ingrid, Marvel. Also consider the men's names and that they are all fairly common -- Ed, Ray, Ron. Do you think there is a meaning behind this? Choose three characters to discuss in relation to their names. Do you think these characters have anything in common with their names? Why do you think they were given these names by the writer?
Essay Topic 3
Ingrid often tells Astrid to embrace her loneliness. Does Astrid take this advice? If so, how? Does Ingrid truly embrace loneliness or is this a cover to hide her true emotions?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)