|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Paul tell Astrid to check for letters at?
2. What role does Yvonne promise to Astrid as she leaves to live with her boyfriend?
3. Who comforts Astrid when she has bad dreams at Rena's house?
4. Who teaches Astrid about acid?
5. Which of the following is the name of Astrid's school when she lives with Rena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visit that Astrid and Claire have with Ingrid.
2. What does Ingrid mean when she tells Astrid, "I am your home"?
3. Why is Astrid afraid of her future when she graduates?
4. Describe Astrid's experience at MAC.
5. How does Astrid feel about attention? How does she show this when she shows up at MAC?
6. What is Astrid's general response to Claire's death?
7. Why doesn't Astrid want to stay with Ron after Claire's death?
8. Why does Astrid decide to try acid?
9. How does Astrid treat Tasha? Why?
10. What role do Hannah and Julie play in Ingrid's life? Astrid's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events push Astrid to take part in risky and destructive behaviors? What does this tell us about Astrid's development as a character? Use evidence from the novel to prove your point.
Essay Topic 2
Consider symbolism in the novel, like the symbolism behind the white oleanders. Find three specific instances of symbolism in the novel and explain how it pushes the novel forward or creates a plot point.
Essay Topic 3
What type of relationship do Astrid and Paul have? Does Astrid use Paul as a form of protection or security?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)