|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ed and Marvel's neighbor often reading?
2. Who does Astrid eat with daily at school while living with Starr?
3. Which word best describes Claire?
4. When Claire comes home from her first audition in a long time, what does she do?
5. As of Chapter 5, how long has it been since Astrid was last able to visit Ingrid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Christmas that Astrid spends with Ed and Marvel.
2. Describe Astrid's experience in church when she goes with Starr.
3. How does Astrid feel about her biological father? What does she know about him when she lives with Starr?
4. Describe the foster home run by Ed and Marvel.
5. What does Astrid learn by reading Ingrid's journals?
6. How has Marvel's racism rubbed off on Astrid?
7. Describe Starr.
8. What does Astrid think about when she is in the hospital after getting shot?
9. Describe the relationship between Claire and Astrid.
10. How does Astrid feel about Ingrid stalking Barry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What similarities can be seen in both Ingrid and Astrid? What are the main differences between these characters? What about their circumstances?
Essay Topic 2
Astrid is surrounded by characters that influence her to be destructive even if they didn't intend on it, such as Ingrid and Conrad. Which characters have a positive influence on Astrid and try to encourage her not to be destructive? Use evidence from the novel to reinforce your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Ingrid compares herself to a phoenix, saying she has been reborn from her ashes. What does this mean? Does Ingrid appear to rebirth herself from the ashes like a phoenix would? Would it be possible to compare Astrid to a phoenix?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)