|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amelia lock every time she leaves the house?
2. What does Ingrid leave behind when she sneaks into Barry's house?
3. According to Astrid, whose life has she ruined?
4. Where did Starr and Ray meet?
5. What career is suggested to Astrid by her second foster mom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Astrid feel about her biological father? What does she know about him when she lives with Starr?
2. Describe Olivia Johnstone.
3. Why is Ingrid so upset that Barry has broken up with her?
4. Describe Starr.
5. How has Marvel's racism rubbed off on Astrid?
6. What does Astrid think about when she is in the hospital after getting shot?
7. Why did Olivia get into prostitution?
8. Describe the Christmas that Astrid spends with Ed and Marvel.
9. How is Astrid helpless when she lives with Amelia?
10. Describe the relationship between Astrid and Ray.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony is used throughout the novel and in Astrid's life. Find three specific examples of irony in the novel and explain what role this piece of irony plays in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Astrid is surrounded by characters that influence her to be destructive even if they didn't intend on it, such as Ingrid and Conrad. Which characters have a positive influence on Astrid and try to encourage her not to be destructive? Use evidence from the novel to reinforce your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the character names in the novel. Many of the women's names are unique in comparison to other contemporary names -- Astrid, Ingrid, Marvel. Also consider the men's names and that they are all fairly common -- Ed, Ray, Ron. Do you think there is a meaning behind this? Choose three characters to discuss in relation to their names. Do you think these characters have anything in common with their names? Why do you think they were given these names by the writer?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)