|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Astrid's biological father?
2. What type of performance does Astrid watch at the hospital?
3. How does Davey's arm become dislocated?
4. Where does Olivia mention that she would like to take Astrid?
5. How many of Starr's children are biologically hers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Olivia Johnstone.
2. Describe Astrid's experience in church when she goes with Starr.
3. Describe Claire and Ron's home.
4. Describe the relationship between Claire and Astrid.
5. How does Ingrid's poem, "For Astrid, Who Will Live After All," hurt Astrid?
6. Describe the foster home run by Ed and Marvel.
7. Describe Astrid's third foster home, where she lives with Amelia.
8. How has Marvel's racism rubbed off on Astrid?
9. How do Astrid and Ingrid interact with one another in the beginning of the novel? Why?
10. What advice does Olivia give Astrid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Astrid and Ingrid in the beginning of the novel. Why do you think they interact certain ways? How do they feel about each other?
Essay Topic 2
Is Janet Fitch trying to send the reader a message about the foster care system? What message might she be sending?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the novel's characters are detestable as a result of the way they treat Astrid. Which character is the most detestable and why?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)