Book 1: Chapter 1 - Chapter 3
• The book opens in a small college town.
• Jack Gladney, chair of the Department of Hitler Studies, and his wife Babette, sit down to lunch with their children, Heinrich, Denise, Steffie, and Wilder.
• A smoke alarm rings and no one in the family is disturbed by it.
• Jack Gladney then goes out lunch with Murray Jay Siskind, a professor interested in pop culture.
• Murray wants to do academically with Elvis what Jack has done with Hitler.
• Jack and Murray visit the Most Photographed Barn in America.
Book 1: Chapter 4 - Chapter 6
• Jack watches Babette run and meditates on their marriage.
• Jack tells Babette that Bee, his daughter from a former marriage, is coming to visit at Christmas
• Bee has been in South Korea, and may not have ever met her half-siblings or step-siblings before.
• At work, Jack begins going by J.A.K. Gladney, to...
This section contains 2,132 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)