|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the tripods do when they cannot find the boys?
2. What does Beanpole do while the thing is being taken off of Will?
3. What does Will do when the tripod is out of sight in Chapter 9?
4. What is made easier by the objects placed at intervals in the river in Chapter 8?
5. What title do the women at the tournament compete for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the object removed from Will?
2. How do Will and Henry react to Beanpole's ideas about what they find in Chapter 8?
3. Where did the object on Will come from, and what does it do?
4. How is the tripod destroyed?
5. What do Henry and Beanpole find on Will in Chapter 9?
6. What happens between the boys and the Tripod in Chapter 8?
7. What do the boys think the two tripods are doing at the end of the book?
8. What happens when Will and Eloise go rowing?
9. What happens after the Queen of the Tournament is selected, and what does this make Will realize?
10. How are the tripods able to track the boys after they have killed the one tripod, and what do the boys do to avoid this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that appears in a number of sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this play?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)