|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the dream, where does the woman tell the man on the train that she's going?
2. How does Vera Serebryakova break her arm?
3. Upon whom are the man and woman based?
4. How does the news of the serial killer D'sseldorf affect Lisa?
5. Why is the woman afraid to have children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the soldiers do to Lisa when they realize she is alive?
2. What are the similarities and differences between Lisa's train ride to the woman's?
3. What is the connection between the corsetiere, Madame Cottin and Madame R.?
4. Describe Vera Serebryokova?
5. What are the rumors spreading around the Jews waiting in line?
6. What does Freud think about Ann's childhood? Why is questioning Anna difficult?
7. How do those waiting in line feel? Why are they waiting?
8. What does Anna admit about her husband?
9. How does Kolya respond to Lisa?
10. How does Lisa feel in Kiev? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lisa is preoccupied and obsessed with pregnancy.
Part 1) What images does the author use to portray this?
Part 2) Why is she preoccupied with pregnancy?
Part 3) How do her obsession with and premonitions about pregnancy come to fruition in her real life?
Essay Topic 2
Lisa has suffered from two traumatic events in her childhood that lead to two events in her hallucination.
Part 1) What are these two events?
Part 2) What connection do these events have with her hallucination?
Part 3) How does she resolve this trauma by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Madame Cottin represents a woman in Lisa's life.
Part 1) Who does Madame Cottin symbolize?
Part 2) What are the similarities between Madame Cottin and the woman in Lisa's life?
Part 3) Madame Cottin, the man, and the woman are intimate. What is the significance of this?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)