|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the woman's mother estranged from her family?
2. As they leave, what does the baker admit to seeing?
3. Why does the nun come to the spring?
4. What does the ice do?
5. What does the Lutheran pastor say he saw flying through the trees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the secretary admit to seeing?
2. Why are the young woman's writings intriguing to Freud?
3. The couple returns to their room filled with desire. Who do they bring with them?
4. Who does the woman address in the final section? What does she say?
5. Why does Ferenczi fear Gisela does not want to marry him?
6. Describe Frued's case study.
7. What do the guests do that are in the burning building?
8. From the mountain the man points out what he believes to be parachutists, but what does the couple discover?
9. Why has the Japanese maid been crying?
10. Describe the guests' falls from the broken cable car.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud is inspired to research the Death Drive.
Part 1) What is the Death Drive?
Part 2) What does this research foreshadow?
Part 3) What is the relationship between the woman and the Death Drive?
Essay Topic 2
Lisa receives letters regarding the deaths of two people close to her.
Part 1) Who are these two people?
Part 2) What events surround their deaths?
Part 3) How is Lisa affected by these deaths?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter One begins with the description of a dream that is later expanded.
Part 1) What is this dream?
Part 2) What is the purpose of the dream in relationship to the rest of the story?
Part 3) What does this dream foreshadow?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)