|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though "The Gastein Journal" is written in third-person prose rather than first-person poetry, it tells essentially the same story as what?
(a) "La Boheme."
(b) "Don Giovanni."
(c) "Madame Butterfly."
2. What is the man doing, as the woman wakes up?
(a) Watching her.
(d) Making breakfast.
3. Several days later, when the young couple returns to the dining room, what do they discover?
(a) The menu has changed.
(b) They are the only ones in the dining room.
(c) Their usual table is taken.
(d) No food is being served.
4. Where does the man take a woman, the poet?
(a) To a white hotel by an emerald lake.
(b) To a secluded train car.
(c) To his home.
(d) To the dungeon.
5. How does the black cat survive the flood?
(a) By climbing to the top of a pine tree.
(b) By clinging to the whale's back.
(c) By sitting on top of the hotel roof.
(d) By swimming in the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priest drink from the breast?
2. What happens to those outside the hotel?
3. What does the mistress of a salesman assume is the cause of the fire?
4. The first letter, written September 8, 1909, is from Sandor Ferenczi to whom?
5. Why must the woman leave the ballet school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the guests find to be odd about the hotel?
2. What does the woman describe? What accompanies her intense images?
3. From whom are the letters?
4. Name two other strange stories that the guests tell.
5. What happens after the woman begins to produce milk?
6. Describe two of the first post cards describing an afternoon on a yacht.
7. Describe two of the post cards, regarding the fire.
8. What is the purpose of these postcards?
9. Who interrupts the couple by the stream? What does this character tell them?
10. How is the hotel when the couple returns?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)