|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the Japanese maid crying?
(a) She dislikes her job.
(b) She had become friends with Lionheart, who died in the landslide.
(c) She is in love with the young woman.
(d) She is in love with the young man.
2. Why does the woman continue to question the soldier?
(a) She finds him very attractive and loves the sound of his voice.
(b) She is fascinated with war and wants to know details of his battles.
(c) She is very interested in knowing as much as she can about the soldier.
(d) To distract herself from the visions she is having of him in his coffin.
3. Why does the woman ask the maid for some toiletries?
(a) She is menstruating.
(b) She would like a comb.
(c) She wants a toothbrush.
(d) She needs soap.
4. What does the woman begin to do after being at the hotel for several days?
(a) Go insane.
(b) Cook meals.
(c) Clean the rooms.
5. What does the man do to the woman's hair?
(a) He plays with it.
(b) He cuts it.
(c) He lights it on fire with his cigar.
(d) He brushes it.
6. How does the couple find the hotel on their return?
(a) Burned to the ground.
7. What does the storm destroy?
(a) Automobiles and tents.
(b) A pagoda and a boat.
(c) A tree and the hotel.
(d) The lake and a dock.
8. Why does the pastor escort Vogel's sister out?
(a) She is vomiting.
(b) She is sobbing.
(c) She is screaming.
(d) She has passed out.
9. How is the language in this section?
10. What does the force of the weather do?
(a) Tears out the woman's womb.
(b) Wrecks the yacht.
(c) Kills the man.
(d) Drowns some of the passengers on the yacht.
11. What does the mistress of a salesman assume is the cause of the fire?
(a) A sap-covered chimney.
(b) Faulty wiring.
(c) A candle that had been knocked over.
(d) One of the maids smoking.
12. Why must the woman leave the ballet school?
(a) She is gaining weight.
(b) She is not graceful.
(c) She no longer enjoys ballet.
(d) She does not have the money to attend the school.
13. Who does Freud lose?
(a) His mind.
(b) His mother.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His best friend.
14. Where is the woman when she sits next to a young soldier?
(a) In an automobile.
(b) In a carriage.
(c) On a train.
(d) On a plane.
15. As they leave, what does the baker admit to seeing?
(a) A pile of ears.
(b) A womb in the lake.
(c) The devil.
(d) Cakes making themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because there is so much milk, what does the chef do?
2. Why does a drunken Vogel say the accident is not as bad as it could have been?
3. What does Freud tell Ferenczi, regarding the girl's writings?
4. To whom does Freud give the young woman's writings?
5. Why are the man and woman embarrassed when a nun comes across them?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)