|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is White Fang when he takes a trip with Grey Beaver’s family and leads the puppy sled in Chapter 13: “The Covenant”?
2. Who gives White Fang his name in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”?
3. Chapter 12: “The Trail of the Gods” begins in what season?
4. How tall does White Fang stand at the shoulder in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”?
5. How much does the bulldog weight that fights White Fang in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between White Fang and Weedon Scott progress in Chapter 20: “The Love-Master”?
2. What kind of dog is White Fang arranged to fight in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?What obstacle does White Fang face in the fight?
3. How does Beauty Smith treat White Fang in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”? Why?
4. Who becomes White Fang’s nemesis in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”? What happens to White Fang’s mother in this chapter?
5. What does White Fang do when the Indian tribe breaks camp in the fall in Chapter 12: “The Trail of the Gods”?
6. What happens when the remainder of the tribe joins the first American Indians in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”? How many people comprise the tribe?
7. How does Weedon Scott go about obtaining White Fang in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?
8. What confuses White Fang about the behavior of Weedon Scott in Chapter 20: “The Love-Master”?
9. What “law” does White Fang realize and abide by in Chapter 13: “The Covenant”?
10. Why are Weedon Scott and Matt going to kill White Fang in Chapter 19: “The Indomitable”? What stops them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of Part 1: “The Wild.” In what ways is this section of the book patterned as a short story? How well developed are the characters and setting in Part 1? Who are the protagonists, and how does this change in the following sections of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Bill and Henry in the narrative. What is the objective of these characters? How do Bill and Henry differ? How are they alike? How do Bill and Henry deal with the obstacles they face in Part 1: “The Wild”?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of isolation and alienation in the novel. In what ways does White Fang’s upbringing bring about his sense of being an outcast among humans and dogs? How does White Fang evolve in terms of his isolation from others in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)