|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is White Fang when he takes a trip with Grey Beaver’s family and leads the puppy sled in Chapter 13: “The Covenant”?
2. What season is it when Grey Beaver and White Fang arrive at Fort Yukon in Chapter 15: “The Enemy of His Kind”?
3. What kind of dog is the first that Beauty Smith puts into White Fang’s cage to fight in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”?
4. What dog in Chapter 14: “The Famine” is described as “a grizzled old fellow that in his younger days had but to uncover his fangs to send White Fang cringing and crouching to the right about”?
5. With what puppy does White Fang encounter his first fight in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Weedon Scott go about obtaining White Fang in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?
2. What causes White Fang to seek out Grey Beaver in Chapter 12: “The Trail of the Gods”? Where does he find him?
3. What causes White Fang’s violent nature when growing up at the Indian camp in Chapter 11: “The Outcast”?
4. How does White Fang react when his mother leaves in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”?
5. Where does Grey Beaver take White Fang in Chapter 15: “The Enemy of His Kind”? Why?
6. What happens in the climax of the fight in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?
7. What happens when the remainder of the tribe joins the first American Indians in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”? How many people comprise the tribe?
8. What is White Fang’s reaction upon seeing the American Indians in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”?
9. How does the relationship between White Fang and Weedon Scott progress in Chapter 20: “The Love-Master”?
10. Why are Weedon Scott and Matt going to kill White Fang in Chapter 19: “The Indomitable”? What stops them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of “survival of the fittest” in White Fang. How is this theme illustrated with She-Wolf and One-Eye? How is the theme seen in the prey of the wolves? How does the theme apply to the human characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of isolation and alienation in the novel. In what ways does White Fang’s upbringing bring about his sense of being an outcast among humans and dogs? How does White Fang evolve in terms of his isolation from others in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Fort Yukon and White Fang’s impressions of the city. What does White Fang remark of the white men he sees in Fort Yukon? How are White Fang’s impressions of white men as “superior gods” related to the novel’s themes?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)