|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in the book is used to refer to a North American Indian woman, especially a wife?
2. One of the watchers of the dog fight tells Tim Keenan that Weedon Scott is special friends with whom in Dawson in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?
3. White Fang is nearly how old when Grey Beaver takes him on another great journey in Chapter 15: “The Enemy of His Kind”?
4. How does Kiche depart with Three Eagles in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”?
5. How many times does Grey Beaver betray White Fang in Chapter 16: “The Mad God”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the fights that White Fang engages in described in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”?
2. How does the relationship between White Fang and Weedon Scott progress in Chapter 20: “The Love-Master”?
3. What happens when the remainder of the tribe joins the first American Indians in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”? How many people comprise the tribe?
4. What causes White Fang’s violent nature when growing up at the Indian camp in Chapter 11: “The Outcast”?
5. How does White Fang’s mother respond to the American Indians in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”? What do the Indians decide to do with White Fang and his mother?
6. What is the setting for Chapter 13: “The Covenant”? How old is White Fang at this point in the story?
7. How does Beauty Smith go about obtaining White Fang in Chapter 16: “The Mad God”? Why?
8. Who becomes White Fang’s nemesis in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”? What happens to White Fang’s mother in this chapter?
9. What confuses White Fang about the behavior of Weedon Scott in Chapter 20: “The Love-Master”?
10. How does Beauty Smith treat White Fang in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss White Fang’s encounter with his mother in Part 3: “The Gods of the Wild.” Why does Kiche growl and run White Fang off when he approaches her at her lair? How does White Fang feel about his mother’s behavior? How does he respond?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss White Fang’s existence as a dog fighter in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate.” How does this chapter in the book illustrate the theme of nature versus nurture? What animals does White Fang fight? What are the emotions that White Fang goes through at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of “survival of the fittest” in White Fang. How is this theme illustrated with She-Wolf and One-Eye? How is the theme seen in the prey of the wolves? How does the theme apply to the human characters in the story?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)