|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 12: “The Trail of the Gods” begins in what season?
2. What does Beauty Smith do at Fort Yukon?
3. How many cartridges does Grey Beaver give to Three Eagles as part of his debt repayment in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”?
4. Who gives White Fang his name in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”?
5. How long do the Native Americans say it has been since Kiche ran away in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends the dogfight in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?
2. How does White Fang react when his mother leaves in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”?
3. Who recognizes White Fang’s mother in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”? What of her history is revealed?
4. What causes White Fang’s violent nature when growing up at the Indian camp in Chapter 11: “The Outcast”?
5. How does the relationship between White Fang and Weedon Scott progress in Chapter 20: “The Love-Master”?
6. Why are Weedon Scott and Matt going to kill White Fang in Chapter 19: “The Indomitable”? What stops them?
7. How does Beauty Smith treat White Fang in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”? Why?
8. What “law” does White Fang realize and abide by in Chapter 13: “The Covenant”?
9. How are the fights that White Fang engages in described in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”?
10. How does Beauty Smith go about obtaining White Fang in Chapter 16: “The Mad God”? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss White Fang as the protagonist of the novel. How common are animals as protagonists in narrative literature? How “humanized” is White Fang as a character? How does Jack London’s portrayal of the wolves compare with other animal-centric novels such as Charlotte’s Web?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting and tone of Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat.” What indications in the narrative give clues as to the time period in which the story is set? How is the “Wild” described in the beginning of the story? What is nature’s relationship to man?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss White Fang’s existence as a dog fighter in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate.” How does this chapter in the book illustrate the theme of nature versus nurture? What animals does White Fang fight? What are the emotions that White Fang goes through at this time?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)