|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat,” “a laughter that was mirthless as the smile of” what?
2. What is described as “ever a sterner and crueler business than that of food-getting” in Chapter 4: “The Battle of the Fangs”?
3. What is the name of the second of Bill and Henry’s dogs that disappear, having been lured out to the wolves in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
4. Where are Bill and Henry traveling to with the body in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat”?
5. How many dogs does Bill say came to eat dinner on their first night in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat”? Where are the travelers going?
2. What does Henry do after Bill’s death in Chapter 3: “The Hunger Cry”?
3. How does the narrator define the “law of meat” in Chapter 8: “The Law of Meat”?
4. How is the battle with the lynx described in Chapter 8: “The Law of Meat”?
5. What action leads to Bill’s death in Chapter 3: “The Hunger Cry”? How is his death related?
6. What animals attack White Fang on his first venture outside the den in Chapter 7: “The Wall of the World”?
7. To what setting does the narrative shift in Chapter 4: “The Battle of the Fangs”? What action do the wolves take?
8. What happens on the second night as the men continue their journey in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
9. How are the wolf cubs described in Chapter 6: “The Grey Cub”? Why do several of the cubs die?
10. What obstacle do the men face in their journey in the beginning of Chapter 3: “The Hunger Cry”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of a third-person omniscient narrator in White Fang. What are the advantages and disadvantages to this narrative style? How are White Fang’s thoughts portrayed? What are notable elements of the language in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Bill and Henry in the narrative. What is the objective of these characters? How do Bill and Henry differ? How are they alike? How do Bill and Henry deal with the obstacles they face in Part 1: “The Wild”?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Chapter 13: “The Covenant.” Where is Grey Beaver going with his family? Why? What is White Fang’s role in terms of sled-pulling? How long does the family travel?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)