|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second animal that White Fang encounters on his first exploration outside the den in Chapter 7: “The Wall of the World”?
2. Who does Bill say “had a dog once that run away with the wolves” in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
3. How many dogs does Bill say came to eat dinner on their first night in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat”?
4. What is the most prominent object on the sled in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat”?
5. How tall does the She-Wolf stand at the shoulders, according to Henry in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacle do the men face in their journey in the beginning of Chapter 3: “The Hunger Cry”?
2. What obstacles do the characters face in defending themselves in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
3. How is the theme of survival of the fittest illustrated in White Fang?
4. What causes Bill’s growing anxiety in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”? How does he secure the dogs?
5. What happens on the second night as the men continue their journey in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
6. What does White Fang discover when he ventures beyond the cave opening in Chapter 7: “The Wall of the World”?
7. How do the wolves become more brazen throughout Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
8. How does White Fang’s development progress in Chapter 8: “The Law of Meat”? What leads up to the fight with the lynx?
9. What is the setting of Chapter 5: “The Lair”? How many cubs does the She-Wolf have?
10. What animals attack White Fang on his first venture outside the den in Chapter 7: “The Wall of the World”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of “survival of the fittest” in White Fang. How is this theme illustrated with She-Wolf and One-Eye? How is the theme seen in the prey of the wolves? How does the theme apply to the human characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Grey Wolf and Three Eagles in Part 3: “The Gods of the Wild.” What is Grey Beaver’s role within the tribe? How much power does he have among his people? What relationship does Grey Beaver form with White Fang?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of isolation and alienation in the novel. In what ways does White Fang’s upbringing bring about his sense of being an outcast among humans and dogs? How does White Fang evolve in terms of his isolation from others in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)