|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fiercest of the wild animals brought in to fight White Fang in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”?
(a) A lynx.
(b) A caribou.
(c) A polar bear.
(d) A ptarmigan.
2. What word used to describe White Fang in Chapter 10: “The Bondage” means disposed to cause harm or suffering deliberately?
3. What is the name of Grey Beaver’s wife in the novel?
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 16: “The Mad God,” the men who arrive by steamer in Fort Yukon make their bread using what?
(a) Baking powder.
5. The narrator says in Chapter 15: “The Enemy of His Kind” that thousands of gold-hunters “were going up the Yukon to Dawson and” what?
(a) “The Klondike.”
(b) “British Columbia.”
(d) “The Northwest Territories.”
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says of White Fang’s awe of mankind in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire,” “To his dim comprehension they were as much wonder-workers as” what?
2. By what nickname had Beauty Smith been called growing up?
3. What do the men who arrive in Chapter 16: “The Mad God” call themselves?
4. What does Grey Beaver bring to trade in Fort Yukon in Chapter 15: “The Enemy of His Kind”?
5. Which of Weedon Scott’s sled-dogs does White Fang kill when he tries to take White Fang’s meat in Chapter 19: “The Indomitable”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confuses White Fang about the behavior of Weedon Scott in Chapter 20: “The Love-Master”?
2. How does White Fang react when his mother leaves in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”?
3. Who becomes White Fang’s nemesis in Chapter 10: “The Bondage”? What happens to White Fang’s mother in this chapter?
4. Where does Beauty Smith travel with White Fang in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”? Why?
5. What kind of dog is White Fang arranged to fight in Chapter 18: “The Clinging Death”?What obstacle does White Fang face in the fight?
6. Why are Weedon Scott and Matt going to kill White Fang in Chapter 19: “The Indomitable”? What stops them?
7. What is White Fang’s reaction upon seeing the American Indians in Chapter 9: “The Makers of Fire”?
8. How are the fights that White Fang engages in described in Chapter 17: “The Reign of Hate”?
9. Where does Grey Beaver take White Fang in Chapter 15: “The Enemy of His Kind”? Why?
10. What does White Fang do when the Indian tribe breaks camp in the fall in Chapter 12: “The Trail of the Gods”?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)