|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the contractions of the wolves’ muscles as they run in Chapter 4: “The Battle of the Fangs”?
2. How many cubs does She-Wolf give birth to in Chapter 5: “The Lair”?
3. The narrator states in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat,” “It is not the way of the Wild to like” what?
4. What animal kills One-Eye in Chapter 6: “The Grey Cub”?
(a) A caribou.
(b) A wolverine.
(c) A lynx.
(d) A weasel.
5. At what time does Henry awaken after Bill and Henry’s first night surrounded by the wolves in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat”?
(a) 6:00 a.m.
(b) 5:00 a.m.
(c) 4:30 a.m.
(d) 3:30 a.m.
6. What dog runs away while Henry and Bill are trying to aright the sled in Chapter 3: “The Hunger Cry”?
(b) One Ear.
7. What is described as “ever a sterner and crueler business than that of food-getting” in Chapter 4: “The Battle of the Fangs”?
(a) “The business of logging.”
(b) “The business of fishing.”
(c) “The business of love.”
(d) “The business of mining.”
8. What color does Bill say the She-Wolf is in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
9. What word from Chapter 8: “The Law of Meat” means excessive eating and drinking?
10. What word from Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat” means devoid of personal feeling or bias?
11. The narrator states in Chapter 6: “The Grey Cub” that the grey cub was not given to what?
12. What word from Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat” refers to the quality of being absolutely trustworthy?
13. The narrator states in the opening of Chapter 3: “The Hunger Cry” that the day began how?
14. Until what time does the daylight last as Bill and Henry travel in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
(a) 4:30 p.m.
(b) 3:00 p.m.
(c) 8:30 p.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
15. Approximately how many wolves comprise the whole pack in Chapter 4: “The Battle of the Fangs”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the second of Bill and Henry’s dogs that disappear, having been lured out to the wolves in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
2. The narrator says in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat,” “The land itself was a desolation, lifeless, without movement, so lone and cold that the spirit of it was not even that of” what?
3. Henry surmises that the She-Wolf is almost how long in Chapter 2: “The She-Wolf”?
4. Where does Henry tell the men with the sleds that the body of Lord Henry is in the end of Chapter 3: “The Hunger Cry”?
5. Of the man whose body is being transported in Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat,” Henry says, “He might have lived to a ripe old age if he’d” done what?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)