Part 1: “The Wild”
• In Chapter 1: “The Trail of Meat,” two men, Henry and Bill, are hiking through a spruce forest in the far North in deep winter.
• Snow covers the ground, the temperature is far below zero, and it is light only for a few hours each day.
• With the men is a team of six sled dogs; on the sled, along with equipment and supplies, is a coffin that holds the body of a man called Lord Alfred.
• Henry and Bill are taking the body to Fort McGurry. They constantly hear wolves howling, and they know that the nearly starved wolves are tracking them in hopes of killing them for food.
• After the men make camp for the night, Bill feeds the dogs and later tells Henry that seven dogs, not six, came to be fed; the men realize that one was a somewhat tame wolf.
This section contains 2,885 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)