|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
2. What is Tony doing while the teacher tells the students to write in their journals?
3. What is the final entry in Tony's journal about his vacation?
4. What does Brent do during the night hours?
5. What does Brent buy after leaving the museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the chapter ends, what does Tony do that connects the little boy to his great-grandfather?
2. What does the whale whirligig represent to Grandma?
3. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
4. Describe Jenny's feelings towards Grandma.
5. Up until this point in his life, Brent has never had any interests other than looking cool. What new interests are now filling Brent's spare time? What role models have helped him establish these other interests?
6. Why does Brent refuse to use the Visa card which his parents have given him for the trip? What does this say about his new sense of responsibility?
7. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
8. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
9. Why is it easy for Brent to interact with the children as he builds the whirligig?
10. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Zamora states that the universe required her daughter to die in the accident. What has the universe required of Brent following the accident? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does Mrs. Zamora hope to gain from Brent's restitution? Has this goal been achieved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the wooden band whirligig's effect on Flaco's life. What changes does he make in his life because of the whirligig? What remains the same in his life?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)