|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Brent filled with envy when he enters the dining room?
2. What does Brent do calm his frustrations?
3. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
4. What is special for Jenny's Grandma about this drive?
5. What does Brent resolve as he is studying during his breaks.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tony finally write in his journal? What does he do to emphasize the truth in his entry?
2. What does Grandma know at the beginning of the journey that Jenny does not know? What makes the ride even more poignant with Jenny?
3. About what do the children warn Brent regarding the location of the wooden band whirligig?
4. Why is it easy for Brent to interact with the children as he builds the whirligig?
5. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
6. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
7. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
8. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
9. Why does Brent enjoy returning to the Sand Dollar Cafe?
10. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brent and Emil spend a day together just relaxing. Compare/contrast this day with a day potentially spent with Emil before the accident. Include details of their activities for support.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of the whirligig and its ability to sew seeds of wishes into the future. Does the whirligig really have that power, or do the characters using guided imagery actually bring about their desired outcomes through their own actions?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the statement, "Mr. Mintz is a very wise teacher." Use Mr. Mintz's whirligig analogy for support.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)