|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Tony?
2. What sits atop the new whirligig?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
4. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
5. What does Grandma survive in her youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Emil makes a comment to Brent that his father had told him that teachers live forever through their students. When Brent hears this, what person in his past comes to mind? What do her words mean to Brent at the time she speaks to him? What realization has Emil's sharing brought to Brent?
2. When the chapter ends, what does Tony do that connects the little boy to his great-grandfather?
3. What does the whale whirligig represent to Grandma?
4. What does Tony tell Mr. Mintz about his summer vacation? How does Mr. Mintz use this information to help Tony?
5. Up until this point in his life, Brent has never had any interests other than looking cool. What new interests are now filling Brent's spare time? What role models have helped him establish these other interests?
6. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
7. What does Brent resolve to do as he reads his star guide book? How is he already accomplishing his goal with the whirligigs?
8. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
9. Describe Jenny's feelings towards Grandma.
10. About what do the children warn Brent regarding the location of the wooden band whirligig?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tangible and intangible gifts Emil shares with Brent. How do the two kinds of gifts interact?
Essay Topic 2
Brent is forever changed after the automobile accident. Describe the old Brent as a person? How has he changed physically, mentally, and spiritually?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the new talents that Brent has acquired since leaving Chicago. Discuss how Brent might use each talent to have a positive influence on as many lives as possible.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)