|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
2. Where does Brent stay when he arrives at his destination?
3. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
4. What does Grandma wear on her head for the drive?
5. Where does Brent have dinner in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brent enjoy returning to the Sand Dollar Cafe?
2. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
3. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
4. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
5. Emil makes a comment to Brent that his father had told him that teachers live forever through their students. When Brent hears this, what person in his past comes to mind? What do her words mean to Brent at the time she speaks to him? What realization has Emil's sharing brought to Brent?
6. What does Tony tell Mr. Mintz about his summer vacation? How does Mr. Mintz use this information to help Tony?
7. About what do the children warn Brent regarding the location of the wooden band whirligig?
8. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
9. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
10. Up until this point in his life, Brent has never had any interests other than looking cool. What new interests are now filling Brent's spare time? What role models have helped him establish these other interests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tangible and intangible gifts Emil shares with Brent. How do the two kinds of gifts interact?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the wooden band whirligig's effect on Flaco's life. What changes does he make in his life because of the whirligig? What remains the same in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the statement, "Mr. Mintz is a very wise teacher." Use Mr. Mintz's whirligig analogy for support.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)