|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Brent teach himself to play?
2. What does Brent study during breaks from building the third whirligig?
3. Who does Tony want to be?
4. What does Brent buy after leaving the museum?
5. Who has a voice that makes Tony's mom's fillings ache?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect do her parents' actions concerning their Jewish heritage have on Jenny?
2. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
3. How is dinner at the hostel different from Brent's dinner at home with his parents?
4. What does the whale whirligig represent to Grandma?
5. Describe Jenny's feelings towards Grandma.
6. How does the boy's interest in the whirligig affect Brent?
7. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
8. Why is it easy for Brent to interact with the children as he builds the whirligig?
9. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
10. What does Brent resolve to do as he reads his star guide book? How is he already accomplishing his goal with the whirligigs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brent and Emil spend a day together just relaxing. Compare/contrast this day with a day potentially spent with Emil before the accident. Include details of their activities for support.
Essay Topic 2
What does Mrs. Zamora hope to gain from Brent's restitution? Has this goal been achieved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
After hearing Brent's story, the artist tells Brent that everyone makes mistakes, and he is forgiven. Discuss why this is an important moment in Brent's life. How will this moment affect Brent's dealings with other people?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)