|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tony's mom let him quit taking violin lessons?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 8, where is Jenny?
3. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
4. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
5. Who is Deborah?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
2. What effect do her parents' actions concerning their Jewish heritage have on Jenny?
3. What does Brent resolve to do as he reads his star guide book? How is he already accomplishing his goal with the whirligigs?
4. Where does the drive take Jenny and Grandma?
5. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
6. Why does Brent enjoy returning to the Sand Dollar Cafe?
7. About what do the children warn Brent regarding the location of the wooden band whirligig?
8. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
9. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
10. Emil makes a comment to Brent that his father had told him that teachers live forever through their students. When Brent hears this, what person in his past comes to mind? What do her words mean to Brent at the time she speaks to him? What realization has Emil's sharing brought to Brent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, Brent's parents unknowingly sabotage Brent's life. Give examples of their well meaning actions that have failed to benefit Brent.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the book, Brent's self-worth is based on material things.
1) Provide details about Brent's behavior that support the above statement.
2) Discuss aspects of Brent's family life which could have precipitated his false value system.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 6, Tony is a mischievous little fifth grader. Discuss Tony's sense of humor and how he uses it to make the best of a bad situation.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)