|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the worst part of Tony's summer vacation?
2. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
3. In Chapter 5, when Brent enters a dining room, who fills him with envy?
4. Who visits while Brent is making the wooden band whirligig?
5. At the end of Chapter 5, whom does Brent serenade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
2. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
3. How is dinner at the hostel different from Brent's dinner at home with his parents?
4. What is the shape of Brent's new whirligig? What sits on top? How long does it take to build? What virtue does Brent display while creating the intricate display?
5. What does Tony tell Mr. Mintz about his summer vacation? How does Mr. Mintz use this information to help Tony?
6. Describe Jenny's feelings towards Grandma.
7. What does Tony finally write in his journal? What does he do to emphasize the truth in his entry?
8. What does Brent resolve to do as he reads his star guide book? How is he already accomplishing his goal with the whirligigs?
9. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
10. When the chapter ends, what does Tony do that connects the little boy to his great-grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 2, the author makes an abrupt transition from Brent's suicide attempt to two young girls' whirligig adventure. Why does the author choose such a transition? Does it add more depth to the story line? Compare the author's transition with a more predictable plot that would continue with the aftermath of Brent's probable tragedy.
Essay Topic 2
After hearing Brent's story, the artist tells Brent that everyone makes mistakes, and he is forgiven. Discuss why this is an important moment in Brent's life. How will this moment affect Brent's dealings with other people?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tangible and intangible gifts Emil shares with Brent. How do the two kinds of gifts interact?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)