|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony write about his vacation?
2. In Chapter 5, when Brent enters a dining room, who fills him with envy?
3. In what setting does Brent go about building the third whirligig in Chapter 7?
4. At what kind of restaurant does Grandma tell Jenny to stop?
5. Whom does Brent sit beside in the dining hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
2. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
3. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
4. Why is it easy for Brent to interact with the children as he builds the whirligig?
5. When the chapter ends, what does Tony do that connects the little boy to his great-grandfather?
6. What does Grandma know at the beginning of the journey that Jenny does not know? What makes the ride even more poignant with Jenny?
7. What does Tony finally write in his journal? What does he do to emphasize the truth in his entry?
8. Describe Jenny's feelings towards Grandma.
9. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
10. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the statement, "Mr. Mintz is a very wise teacher." Use Mr. Mintz's whirligig analogy for support.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the wooden band whirligig's effect on Flaco's life. What changes does he make in his life because of the whirligig? What remains the same in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, Brent's parents unknowingly sabotage Brent's life. Give examples of their well meaning actions that have failed to benefit Brent.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)