|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
2. What meaning does the whale whirligig have for Grandma?
3. Who is Rachel?
4. At the end of Chapter 5, whom does Brent serenade?
5. What does Brent do during the night hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jenny's feelings towards Grandma.
2. What does Grandma know at the beginning of the journey that Jenny does not know? What makes the ride even more poignant with Jenny?
3. What effect do her parents' actions concerning their Jewish heritage have on Jenny?
4. What does Tony finally write in his journal? What does he do to emphasize the truth in his entry?
5. How does the boy's interest in the whirligig affect Brent?
6. What does Tony tell Mr. Mintz about his summer vacation? How does Mr. Mintz use this information to help Tony?
7. About what do the children warn Brent regarding the location of the wooden band whirligig?
8. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
9. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
10. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brent is forever changed after the automobile accident. Describe the old Brent as a person? How has he changed physically, mentally, and spiritually?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Brent's parents unknowingly sabotage Brent's life. Give examples of their well meaning actions that have failed to benefit Brent.
Essay Topic 3
After hearing Brent's story, the artist tells Brent that everyone makes mistakes, and he is forgiven. Discuss why this is an important moment in Brent's life. How will this moment affect Brent's dealings with other people?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)