|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brent have dinner in Chapter 7?
2. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
3. Why does Tony scratch under his shirt at the end of Chapter 6?
4. Who is Trish?
5. Who has a voice that makes Tony's mom's fillings ache?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
2. How does the boy's interest in the whirligig affect Brent?
3. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
4. Up until this point in his life, Brent has never had any interests other than looking cool. What new interests are now filling Brent's spare time? What role models have helped him establish these other interests?
5. Why does Brent enjoy returning to the Sand Dollar Cafe?
6. What effect do her parents' actions concerning their Jewish heritage have on Jenny?
7. What does the whale whirligig represent to Grandma?
8. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
9. Why is it easy for Brent to interact with the children as he builds the whirligig?
10. What is the shape of Brent's new whirligig? What sits on top? How long does it take to build? What virtue does Brent display while creating the intricate display?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Mrs. Zamora hope to gain from Brent's restitution? Has this goal been achieved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the new talents that Brent has acquired since leaving Chicago. Discuss how Brent might use each talent to have a positive influence on as many lives as possible.
Essay Topic 3
Develop an analogy based on the changes which Brent experiences throughout the book.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)