|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
2. As Chapter 5 begins, what city is Brent's next destination?
3. Why is Brent filled with envy when he enters the dining room?
4. Where do the billboards announcing the Key Lime Pie Belt first appear on Brent's bus trip?
5. Grandma puts on a dress made of what material?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
2. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
3. Where does the drive take Jenny and Grandma?
4. What does Tony tell Mr. Mintz about his summer vacation? How does Mr. Mintz use this information to help Tony?
5. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
6. What is the shape of Brent's new whirligig? What sits on top? How long does it take to build? What virtue does Brent display while creating the intricate display?
7. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
8. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
9. How does the boy's interest in the whirligig affect Brent?
10. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whirligigs affect people of all ages in the book. Select two characters who are from different generations and describe how their individual experience with a whirligig is unique to their age.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Brent's parents unknowingly sabotage Brent's life. Give examples of their well meaning actions that have failed to benefit Brent.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the new talents that Brent has acquired since leaving Chicago. Discuss how Brent might use each talent to have a positive influence on as many lives as possible.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)