|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whom does Brent take a swing after being embarrassed?
2. What kind of car does Brent's dad drive?
3. What does Mrs. Zamora give to Brent to help him with restitution?
4. How does Brent celebrate his seventeenth birthday?
5. Who is Brent picking up for the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 3, where is Brent Bishop? What thoughts are going through his mind?
2. Describe what Flaco discovers on a boarded-up ice cream shop.
3. Summarize the sequence of events in Chapter 4.
4. Upon arriving to pickup Jonathan for the party, what does Brent instantly regret as Jonathan comes out of the house? Why?
5. What are the specific tasks that Brent must perform for restitution? How does he react to the request?
6. What is Brent's primary focus as he dresses for the party? Support with details.
7. How does Brent react to Lea's mother's recollection of her daughter's death?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Alexandra is taking Steph on an adventure. Discuss the hyperbole used by Alexandra as she tells her friend about their destination.
9. How is the wooden marching band whirligig a contradiction in terms of Flaco's life? Does he see it as such? Use details to support.
10. What are Lea's mother's memories of learning about her daughter's death? What does she think of doing after hearing the news? What makes her change her mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the statement, "Mr. Mintz is a very wise teacher." Use Mr. Mintz's whirligig analogy for support.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss in detail at least three instances where Brent blames others for his own mistakes.
2) Explore how Brent could have saved himself a lot of unnecessary pain by taking ownership of his actions in each of the three incidents.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the new talents that Brent has acquired since leaving Chicago. Discuss how Brent might use each talent to have a positive influence on as many lives as possible.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)