|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
(a) A helicopter
(b) A vulture.
(c) Two crows.
(d) Two seagulls.
2. What instrument does Tony play?
(a) The violin.
(b) The piano.
(c) The tuba.
(d) The accordion.
3. What is Grandma wearing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A red hat.
(b) A navy dress.
(c) A purple robe.
(d) A pink nightgown.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
(a) A lady who has boarded in Phoenix.
(b) A passenger who is humming.
(c) A snoring passenger.
(d) A bearded man who is asking questions.
5. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
(a) The waves crashing.
(b) Children playing in the sand.
(c) A fisherman walking past him.
(d) A mosquito buzzing in his ear.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
2. Which musician is Lea?
3. What is Tony doing while the teacher tells the students to write in their journals?
4. What does Brent do during the night hours?
5. What is the worst part of Tony's summer vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the shape of Brent's new whirligig? What sits on top? How long does it take to build? What virtue does Brent display while creating the intricate display?
2. Why does Brent enjoy returning to the Sand Dollar Cafe?
3. Why does Brent refuse to use the Visa card which his parents have given him for the trip? What does this say about his new sense of responsibility?
4. How is dinner at the hostel different from Brent's dinner at home with his parents?
5. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
6. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
7. What effect do her parents' actions concerning their Jewish heritage have on Jenny?
8. What does Grandma know at the beginning of the journey that Jenny does not know? What makes the ride even more poignant with Jenny?
9. Where does the drive take Jenny and Grandma?
10. When the chapter ends, what does Tony do that connects the little boy to his great-grandfather?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)