|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Brent walks down a street in El Paso, whom does he encounter with tweezerlike eyes?
(a) A fleeing robber.
(b) A homeless man.
(c) A street preacher.
(d) A street vendor.
2. What is Grandma wearing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A navy dress.
(b) A pink nightgown.
(c) A purple robe.
(d) A red hat.
3. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
(a) Christmas celebrations.
(b) The teachings of the Torah.
(c) Poland and Hitler.
(d) Their Hebrew language.
4. What is Brent trying to learn from a book he has purchased?
(a) The stars' names.
(b) History of the American Indians.
(c) Astrology signs.
(d) How to survive in the desert.
5. Who does Tony want to be?
(d) Mr. Mintz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form will Brent's next whiligig take?
2. What is the worst part of Tony's summer vacation?
3. Why is Brent filled with envy when he enters the dining room?
4. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
5. Who is Deborah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the whale whirligig represent to Grandma?
2. What does Tony tell Mr. Mintz about his summer vacation? How does Mr. Mintz use this information to help Tony?
3. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
4. What does Brent resolve to do as he reads his star guide book? How is he already accomplishing his goal with the whirligigs?
5. What does Tony finally write in his journal? What does he do to emphasize the truth in his entry?
6. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
7. Where does the drive take Jenny and Grandma?
8. What does Grandma know at the beginning of the journey that Jenny does not know? What makes the ride even more poignant with Jenny?
9. What effect do her parents' actions concerning their Jewish heritage have on Jenny?
10. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)