|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
(a) A passenger who is humming.
(b) A snoring passenger.
(c) A lady who has boarded in Phoenix.
(d) A bearded man who is asking questions.
2. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
(a) A fisherman walking past him.
(b) The waves crashing.
(c) Children playing in the sand.
(d) A mosquito buzzing in his ear.
3. Grandma puts on a dress made of what material?
4. Whom does Brent sit beside in the dining hall?
(a) An eighteen year old German student.
(b) Two Canadian cyclists.
(c) An older, bearded gentlemen.
(d) An attractive eighteen year old French girl.
5. Why does Brent like being in Texas?
(a) No one knows him there.
(b) He likes reading about the history of Texas.
(c) He likes the Dallas Cowboys.
(d) He remembers vacationing there as a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, when Brent enters a dining room, who fills him with envy?
2. What is special for Jenny's Grandma about this drive?
3. Why does Jenny not want to drive Grandma anywhere?
4. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
5. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tony finally write in his journal? What does he do to emphasize the truth in his entry?
2. Why is it easy for Brent to interact with the children as he builds the whirligig?
3. Describe the wooden band whirligig. How does it move in the wind?
4. What does Brent resolve to do as he reads his star guide book? How is he already accomplishing his goal with the whirligigs?
5. Which whirligig is at Tony's summer campground? How does Tony feel about the whirligig?
6. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
7. Up until this point in his life, Brent has never had any interests other than looking cool. What new interests are now filling Brent's spare time? What role models have helped him establish these other interests?
8. What is the shape of Brent's new whirligig? What sits on top? How long does it take to build? What virtue does Brent display while creating the intricate display?
9. What effect do her parents' actions concerning their Jewish heritage have on Jenny?
10. What does Grandma know at the beginning of the journey that Jenny does not know? What makes the ride even more poignant with Jenny?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)