|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
2. Where do the billboards announcing the Key Lime Pie Belt first appear on Brent's bus trip?
3. Where does Brent go after he leaves the dining hall?
(a) The San Diego Zoo.
(b) A video store.
(c) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(d) A nearby golf range.
4. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
(a) Friends and family.
(b) Skills and interests.
(c) Faith and hope.
(d) Motivation and direction.
5. What does Brent see as he enters the El Paso bus station?
(a) A lost puppy.
(b) A picture of a missing child.
(c) A picture of himself on a "Wanted" poster.
(d) A picture of Lea.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what kind of restaurant does Grandma tell Jenny to stop?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
3. What musicians are represented on the third whirligig?
4. What is Brent trying to learn from a book he has purchased?
5. Why does Tony scratch under his shirt at the end of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Brent steps into the hostel's dining hall, he sees a bearded man playing a concertina for the guests. Why does Brent admire this man? What is Brent thinking as he watches the bearded man entertain?
2. What has Tony failed to do that lands him in trouble with Mr. Mintz?
3. Why is it easy for Brent to interact with the children as he builds the whirligig?
4. What does Tony finally write in his journal? What does he do to emphasize the truth in his entry?
5. What does Tony tell Mr. Mintz about his summer vacation? How does Mr. Mintz use this information to help Tony?
6. Describe Jenny's feelings towards Grandma.
7. In Chapter 6, what task has the fifth grade teacher assigned that is difficult for her student Tony? Why is the assignment so hard?
8. What are some of Jenny's parents' actions that lead them away from their Jewish heritage? Why do they try to forget their roots?
9. When the chapter ends, what does Tony do that connects the little boy to his great-grandfather?
10. What does Grandma know at the beginning of the journey that Jenny does not know? What makes the ride even more poignant with Jenny?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)