|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brent's father bring to the meeting with the Zamoras?
(a) A letter expressing sympathy.
(b) A letter expressing regret.
(c) A silver writing pen.
(d) An envelope with cash inside.
2. From where is the man?
(c) Buenos Aires.
(d) Puerto Rico.
3. What has been on the man's mind for weeks?
(a) A seagull.
(c) A robin.
(d) A shearwater bird.
4. Whom does the man marry?
5. What is at the top of the whirligig?
(a) A gold star.
(b) A red rose.
(c) A woman's head.
(d) A foil halo.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the man, what is a hard thing to find?
2. Through what book does Brent look while traveling?
3. Which scientist does Alexandra compare to Stephanie?
4. Whose hairstyle does Brent imitate?
5. Where does Brent live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Brent still preoccupied with his own life in Chapter 3? Give details to support.
2. When Brent and Jonathan arrive at the party, what becomes apparent to Brent when he sees other guests? Why does this observation make him angry at Jonathan?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Alexandra is taking Steph on an adventure. Discuss the hyperbole used by Alexandra as she tells her friend about their destination.
4. How does Jonathan's attitude about the party differ from Brent's?
5. Why is the Lea's whirligig so important to Mrs. Zamora?
6. How does Brent react to Lea's mother's recollection of her daughter's death?
7. What bird disappoints Flaco? Why?
8. Summarize the sequence of events in Chapter 4.
9. Describe Brent's exit from the party.
10. Summarize the transition from Brent's suicide attempt in Chapter 1 to the two friends' whirligig adventure in Chapter 2. What is the significance of the transition?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)