|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Brent's dad drive?
(a) A Jaguar.
(b) A Ford.
(c) A BMW.
(d) A Continental.
2. Where does the man work when he is fourteen years old?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At the shoe shop.
(c) At the local newspaper.
(d) At a retail store.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 3, where is Brent?
(a) In heaven.
(b) In a hospital emergency room.
(c) At the police station.
(d) Riding on a bus.
4. What kind of drink does Brent mix for himself?
(a) Scotch and soda.
(b) Bourbon and coke.
(c) Apple martini.
(d) Vodka and tonic.
5. Where does Brent live immediately before moving to his current city?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brent consider his "interim identity?"
2. At the party, who calls Brent a leech?
3. Where does Brent's father currently work?
4. Whose hairstyle does Brent imitate?
5. According to Brent, what are now mysterious gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the two girls reach the point, a whirligig with a woman's head on top is mounted on a pole at the edge of a cliff. What is the significance of the whirligig's location? How does this relate to the two girls?
2. Why is the Lea's whirligig so important to Mrs. Zamora?
3. The two girls are headed out to the point near Pam McQuillen's. Alexandra is taking Steph there because she thinks that it is way past the time for Steph to have a boyfriend. 1) Give five reasons why Alexandra insists that Steph goes along with her plan. 2) Why is Steph not thrilled about this adventure?
4. Summarize the transition from Brent's suicide attempt in Chapter 1 to the two friends' whirligig adventure in Chapter 2. What is the significance of the transition?
5. Describe what Flaco discovers on a boarded-up ice cream shop.
6. What does Brent recall about the automobile accident? How do his parents try to keep him from knowing facts about the accident?
7. How does Steph honor the whirligig? How does she honor Alexandra? Why would honoring the whirligig and her best friend be important to Steph?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Alexandra is taking Steph on an adventure. Discuss the hyperbole used by Alexandra as she tells her friend about their destination.
9. How does Brent react to Lea's mother's recollection of her daughter's death?
10. Upon arriving to pickup Jonathan for the party, what does Brent instantly regret as Jonathan comes out of the house? Why?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)