|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finishing his journal entry, where does Tony look?
(a) At his radio cord.
(b) At the clock.
(c) At the blackboard.
(d) At his math book.
2. Why does Grandma ask Jenny to stop in the middle of a street?
(a) To look at roses in a yard.
(b) To look at a birch tree.
(c) To pick up a lost dog.
(d) To let a bicyclist pass.
3. Where does Brent stay when he arrives at his destination?
(a) The Sheraton.
(b) A youth hostel.
(c) A campground.
(d) A Dutch family's home.
4. What does Brent do during the night hours?
(a) Plays his harmonica and works with the star guide.
(b) Reads the next chapter of the whirligig guidebook.
(c) Reads biographies about famous inventors.
(d) Writes letters to his parents.
5. What meaning does the whale whirligig have for Grandma?
(a) The ocean is the keeper of life.
(b) The dead want the living to laugh.
(c) Life will continue to "spin" after her death.
(d) Nature follows a cycle of life and death.
6. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
(a) It is a cheerful song.
(b) It is a very difficult song to play.
(c) It is a lonely song.
(d) It is a lament.
7. Who/what is Brent's sole company as he works on the next whiligig?
(a) His friend Emil.
(c) His friend Flaco.
(d) Lea's photo.
8. Why does Tony's mom let him quit taking violin lessons?
(a) The teacher tells her that Tony is unruly.
(b) The teacher tells her that Tony is not talented.
(c) The teacher tells her that the violin is not the right instrument for Tony.
(d) The teacher tells her that Tony needs to rest.
9. What does Brent do calm his frustrations?
(a) He hums to himself.
(b) He walks on the beach.
(c) He plays the harmonica.
(d) He writes letters to his parents.
10. What is special for Jenny's Grandma about this drive?
(a) Grandma sees important places from her past.
(b) Grandma makes good on a promise to her own parents.
(c) Grandma forgets her cancer for awhile.
(d) Grandma gets to spend time with Jenny.
11. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
(a) Mrs. Griffey.
(b) Miss Rappalini.
(c) Miss Chang.
(d) Miss Kelsey.
12. What nationality is Tony?
13. Who is Trish?
(a) A maid at the motel.
(b) A desk clerk at the motel.
(c) A tour guide at the motel.
(d) A guest at the motel.
14. What does Brent buy after leaving the museum?
(a) A book about building wooden toys.
(b) A pair of jeans.
(c) A harmonica and an instruction book.
(d) A bus pass to San Francisco.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
(a) A snoring passenger.
(b) A passenger who is humming.
(c) A bearded man who is asking questions.
(d) A lady who has boarded in Phoenix.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grandma's first language?
2. What is the final entry in Tony's journal about his vacation?
3. Who visits while Brent is making the wooden band whirligig?
4. Who does Tony want to be?
5. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)