|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brent do during the night hours?
(a) Writes letters to his parents.
(b) Reads biographies about famous inventors.
(c) Plays his harmonica and works with the star guide.
(d) Reads the next chapter of the whirligig guidebook.
2. What book does Brent read as he crosses Louisiana?
(a) "Davy Crockett."
(b) "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) "Two Years Before the Mast."
(d) "The Alamo."
3. What is Grandma wearing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A navy dress.
(b) A red hat.
(c) A purple robe.
(d) A pink nightgown.
4. What does Tony write about his vacation?
(a) It was exciting.
(b) It was horrible.
(c) It was wonderful.
(d) It made him sick.
5. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
6. What does Brent buy after leaving the museum?
(a) A book about building wooden toys.
(b) A bus pass to San Francisco.
(c) A harmonica and an instruction book.
(d) A pair of jeans.
7. With whom does Tony pretend to have a conversation throughout Chapter 6?
(a) Bob Barker.
(b) His mother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) A sports announcer.
8. Why does Jenny not want to drive Grandma anywhere?
(a) Jenny only has her learner's permit.
(b) Jenny is busy with housework.
(c) Jenny has been told by her mother not to drive.
(d) Jenny does not like to drive the station wagon.
9. Where does Brent have dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) The Seaside Inn.
(b) Four Squares Restaurant.
(c) The Beachfront Cafe.
(d) The Sand Dollar Cafe.
10. What does Brent resolve as he is studying during his breaks.
(a) To return to school.
(b) To read more books.
(c) To become a teacher.
(d) To give himself a new education.
11. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
(a) It is a lonely song.
(b) It is a very difficult song to play.
(c) It is a lament.
(d) It is a cheerful song.
12. Why does Brent like being in Texas?
(a) He remembers vacationing there as a child.
(b) He likes the Dallas Cowboys.
(c) He likes reading about the history of Texas.
(d) No one knows him there.
13. What meaning does the whale whirligig have for Grandma?
(a) Life will continue to "spin" after her death.
(b) The ocean is the keeper of life.
(c) The dead want the living to laugh.
(d) Nature follows a cycle of life and death.
14. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
(a) The Dutch pledge.
(b) The Asian pledge.
(c) The American pledge.
(d) The German pledge.
15. According to Tony, what is wonderful about throwing up?
(a) You feel better afterwards.
(b) You do not have to go to school.
(c) You get lots of attention.
(d) You do not have to practice the violin.
Short Answer Questions
1. While driving, what does Jenny notice about Grandma's face?
2. What does Grandma wear on her head for the drive?
3. Who has a voice that makes Tony's mom's fillings ache?
4. What does Brent do calm his frustrations?
5. Who is Trish?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)