|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
(a) Christmas celebrations.
(b) Poland and Hitler.
(c) Their Hebrew language.
(d) The teachings of the Torah.
2. Who does Tony want to be?
(a) Mr. Mintz.
3. Who is Trish?
(a) A guest at the motel.
(b) A desk clerk at the motel.
(c) A tour guide at the motel.
(d) A maid at the motel.
4. What does Tony write about his vacation?
(a) It was horrible.
(b) It was wonderful.
(c) It was exciting.
(d) It made him sick.
5. What does Grandma wear on her head for the drive?
(a) A purple hat to match her dress.
(b) A beautiful silk scarf.
(c) A wig from the Eisenhower era.
(d) A baseball cap.
6. What meaning does the whale whirligig have for Grandma?
(a) The dead want the living to laugh.
(b) The ocean is the keeper of life.
(c) Nature follows a cycle of life and death.
(d) Life will continue to "spin" after her death.
7. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
(a) It is a very difficult song to play.
(b) It is a lonely song.
(c) It is a lament.
(d) It is a cheerful song.
8. What musicians are represented on the third whirligig?
(a) A drummer, a trumpet player, a clarinet player, and a trombone player.
(b) A cellist, a harpist, and a pianist.
(c) A saxophone player, a trumpet player, a guitarist.
(d) A drummer and a trumpet player.
9. As Chapter 5 begins, what city is Brent's next destination?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
10. In Chapter 5, when Brent enters a dining room, who fills him with envy?
(a) A young man dressed in a business suit.
(b) A story teller who is surrounded by youngsters.
(c) A bearded man playing a concertina.
(d) A smiling family having dinner.
11. Who/what is Brent's sole company as he works on the next whiligig?
(b) Lea's photo.
(c) His friend Flaco.
(d) His friend Emil.
12. Where do the billboards announcing the Key Lime Pie Belt first appear on Brent's bus trip?
13. What is just beginning after Tony finishes his journal writing?
(c) The pregame show.
(d) The Price Is Right.
14. Who is Tony's music teacher?
(a) Mr. Griffey.
(b) Miss Rappalini.
(c) Miss Chang.
(d) Mr. Mintz.
15. Where does Brent have dinner in Chapter 7?
(a) Four Squares Restaurant.
(b) The Beachfront Cafe.
(c) The Sand Dollar Cafe.
(d) The Seaside Inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what kind of restaurant does Grandma tell Jenny to stop?
2. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
3. Where does Brent go after he leaves the dining hall?
4. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
5. What book does Brent read as he crosses Louisiana?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)