|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
(a) It is a cheerful song.
(b) It is a very difficult song to play.
(c) It is a lonely song.
(d) It is a lament.
2. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
(a) He remembers a funny joke he has played on his sister during vacation.
(b) He knows that he will not be graded on the entry anyway.
(c) He has misspelled "pretty" because spelling does not count.
(d) He knows that he is lying.
3. What does Grandma survive in her youth?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) A car accident.
(d) The Holocaust.
4. Whom does Brent sit beside in the dining hall?
(a) An older, bearded gentlemen.
(b) An attractive eighteen year old French girl.
(c) An eighteen year old German student.
(d) Two Canadian cyclists.
5. After finishing his journal entry, where does Tony look?
(a) At the blackboard.
(b) At the clock.
(c) At his math book.
(d) At his radio cord.
6. What book does Brent read as he crosses Louisiana?
(a) "Davy Crockett."
(b) "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) "Two Years Before the Mast."
(d) "The Alamo."
7. What does Brent do calm his frustrations?
(a) He hums to himself.
(b) He walks on the beach.
(c) He writes letters to his parents.
(d) He plays the harmonica.
8. Who has a voice that makes Tony's mom's fillings ache?
(a) The teacher.
(c) Bob Barker.
(d) The Yankees' sports announcer.
9. What musicians are represented on the third whirligig?
(a) A cellist, a harpist, and a pianist.
(b) A saxophone player, a trumpet player, a guitarist.
(c) A drummer and a trumpet player.
(d) A drummer, a trumpet player, a clarinet player, and a trombone player.
10. Why does Jenny not want to drive Grandma anywhere?
(a) Jenny is busy with housework.
(b) Jenny does not like to drive the station wagon.
(c) Jenny has been told by her mother not to drive.
(d) Jenny only has her learner's permit.
11. As Chapter 5 begins, what city is Brent's next destination?
(a) San Francisco.
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) San Diego.
12. What does Tony write about his vacation?
(a) It was horrible.
(b) It was exciting.
(c) It was wonderful.
(d) It made him sick.
13. What does Brent have with him that could make his journey easier?
(a) A Visa card.
(b) Five hundred dollars in cash.
(c) An airline ticket to any destination.
(d) A voucher for free lodging at the Sheraton.
14. What nationality is Tony?
15. According to Tony, what is wonderful about throwing up?
(a) You do not have to practice the violin.
(b) You do not have to go to school.
(c) You get lots of attention.
(d) You feel better afterwards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Tony play?
2. What is the final entry in Tony's journal about his vacation?
3. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
4. Why is Brent filled with envy when he enters the dining room?
5. What does Grandma wear on her head for the drive?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)