|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After finishing his journal entry, where does Tony look?
(a) At his radio cord.
(b) At his math book.
(c) At the clock.
(d) At the blackboard.
2. What does Brent do during the night hours?
(a) Plays his harmonica and works with the star guide.
(b) Reads the next chapter of the whirligig guidebook.
(c) Writes letters to his parents.
(d) Reads biographies about famous inventors.
3. Who visits while Brent is making the wooden band whirligig?
(a) A minister.
(b) Seven or eight grammar-school-age children.
(d) A beachcomber.
4. Whom does Brent sit beside in the dining hall?
(a) Two Canadian cyclists.
(b) An attractive eighteen year old French girl.
(c) An eighteen year old German student.
(d) An older, bearded gentlemen.
5. What does Grandma refuse to admit about her health?
(a) She is senile.
(b) She is near death.
(c) She is unable to walk.
(d) She needs a hearing aid.
6. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
(a) Two seagulls.
(b) Two crows.
(c) A helicopter
(d) A vulture.
7. What is the worst part of Tony's summer vacation?
(a) The harp whiligig at the campground.
(b) Fighting with Kelsey.
(c) Fishing in the stream for hours.
(d) Practicing violin everyday.
8. Who does Tony want to be?
(b) Mr. Mintz.
9. What is special for Jenny's Grandma about this drive?
(a) Grandma sees important places from her past.
(b) Grandma makes good on a promise to her own parents.
(c) Grandma forgets her cancer for awhile.
(d) Grandma gets to spend time with Jenny.
10. Who/what is Brent's sole company as he works on the next whiligig?
(b) His friend Flaco.
(c) Lea's photo.
(d) His friend Emil.
11. What does Grandma wear on her head for the drive?
(a) A beautiful silk scarf.
(b) A baseball cap.
(c) A purple hat to match her dress.
(d) A wig from the Eisenhower era.
12. What does Brent study during breaks from building the third whirligig?
(a) A history book.
(b) A math textbook.
(c) A woodworker's manual.
(d) A star guide.
13. Why does Tony's mom let him quit taking violin lessons?
(a) The teacher tells her that Tony needs to rest.
(b) The teacher tells her that Tony is unruly.
(c) The teacher tells her that the violin is not the right instrument for Tony.
(d) The teacher tells her that Tony is not talented.
14. What musicians are represented on the third whirligig?
(a) A saxophone player, a trumpet player, a guitarist.
(b) A drummer and a trumpet player.
(c) A cellist, a harpist, and a pianist.
(d) A drummer, a trumpet player, a clarinet player, and a trombone player.
15. Where does Brent mount the whirligig he finishes in Chapter 5?
(a) On the front porch of the establishment.
(b) On a tree trunk.
(c) On a restaurant window.
(d) On a church lawn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Tony?
2. At the end of Chapter 5, whom does Brent serenade?
3. What is the final entry in Tony's journal about his vacation?
4. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
5. Why does Brent like being in Texas?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)