|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brent study during breaks from building the third whirligig?
(a) A woodworker's manual.
(b) A math textbook.
(c) A star guide.
(d) A history book.
2. Who visits while Brent is making the wooden band whirligig?
(a) A beachcomber.
(b) A minister.
(d) Seven or eight grammar-school-age children.
3. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
(a) Two crows.
(b) A helicopter
(c) A vulture.
(d) Two seagulls.
4. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
(a) The Asian pledge.
(b) The Dutch pledge.
(c) The German pledge.
(d) The American pledge.
5. What song does Brent teach himself to play?
(a) "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean."
(b) "Good Day Sunshine."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."
6. At the end of Chapter 5, whom does Brent serenade?
(c) A lost dog.
7. What does Brent resolve as he is studying during his breaks.
(a) To read more books.
(b) To return to school.
(c) To become a teacher.
(d) To give himself a new education.
8. Who/what is Brent's sole company as he works on the next whiligig?
(a) His friend Emil.
(b) His friend Flaco.
(d) Lea's photo.
9. In what setting does Brent go about building the third whirligig in Chapter 7?
(a) On a beach next to a sand dune.
(b) Near a boarded up ice cream shop.
(c) On a pier near the ocean.
(d) Near a cottage on a deserted beach road.
10. Why does Brent like being in Texas?
(a) He likes reading about the history of Texas.
(b) No one knows him there.
(c) He remembers vacationing there as a child.
(d) He likes the Dallas Cowboys.
11. What does Grandma survive in her youth?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) A car accident.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) The Holocaust.
12. What does Brent have with him that could make his journey easier?
(a) A voucher for free lodging at the Sheraton.
(b) A Visa card.
(c) An airline ticket to any destination.
(d) Five hundred dollars in cash.
13. What does Brent buy after leaving the museum?
(a) A bus pass to San Francisco.
(b) A book about building wooden toys.
(c) A pair of jeans.
(d) A harmonica and an instruction book.
14. Which musician is Lea?
(a) The trumpet player.
(b) The cellist.
(c) The guitarist.
(d) The clarinet player.
15. Grandma puts on a dress made of what material?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jenny not want to drive Grandma anywhere?
2. What does Brent see as he enters the El Paso bus station?
3. Where does Brent mount the whirligig he finishes in Chapter 5?
4. What does Tony write about his vacation?
5. While driving, what does Jenny notice about Grandma's face?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)