|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandma wear on her head for the drive?
(a) A purple hat to match her dress.
(b) A wig from the Eisenhower era.
(c) A baseball cap.
(d) A beautiful silk scarf.
2. What is Brent trying to learn from a book he has purchased?
(a) How to survive in the desert.
(b) Astrology signs.
(c) The stars' names.
(d) History of the American Indians.
3. What is Grandma's first language?
4. What song does Brent teach himself to play?
(a) "Good Day Sunshine."
(b) "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."
(c) "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean."
(d) "Amazing Grace."
5. What does Brent do during the night hours?
(a) Reads the next chapter of the whirligig guidebook.
(b) Reads biographies about famous inventors.
(c) Writes letters to his parents.
(d) Plays his harmonica and works with the star guide.
6. Where does Brent stay when he arrives at his destination?
(a) A campground.
(b) A Dutch family's home.
(c) A youth hostel.
(d) The Sheraton.
7. In what setting does Brent go about building the third whirligig in Chapter 7?
(a) Near a boarded up ice cream shop.
(b) Near a cottage on a deserted beach road.
(c) On a beach next to a sand dune.
(d) On a pier near the ocean.
8. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
(a) Miss Rappalini.
(b) Miss Kelsey.
(c) Miss Chang.
(d) Mrs. Griffey.
9. Why does Tony scratch under his shirt at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) He always feels itchy when he writes in class.
(b) He is still recovering from poison ivy.
(c) He is signaling his friend to pass a note.
(d) He is feeding a cord down his sleeve.
10. What is the temperature that is displayed on the sign outside the station?
(a) 32 degrees.
(b) 98 degrees.
(c) 109 degrees.
(d) 75 degrees.
11. What does Brent do calm his frustrations?
(a) He writes letters to his parents.
(b) He walks on the beach.
(c) He hums to himself.
(d) He plays the harmonica.
12. Who is Trish?
(a) A guest at the motel.
(b) A desk clerk at the motel.
(c) A maid at the motel.
(d) A tour guide at the motel.
13. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
(a) It is a very difficult song to play.
(b) It is a cheerful song.
(c) It is a lonely song.
(d) It is a lament.
14. Where does Brent go after he leaves the dining hall?
(a) A nearby golf range.
(b) A video store.
(c) The San Diego Zoo.
(d) The Golden Gate Bridge.
15. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
(a) A passenger who is humming.
(b) A bearded man who is asking questions.
(c) A lady who has boarded in Phoenix.
(d) A snoring passenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, when Brent enters a dining room, who fills him with envy?
2. Which musician is Lea?
3. What meaning does the whale whirligig have for Grandma?
4. What sits atop the new whirligig?
5. What does Brent study during breaks from building the third whirligig?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)