|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 5, whom does Brent serenade?
(b) A lost dog.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
(a) A passenger who is humming.
(b) A snoring passenger.
(c) A lady who has boarded in Phoenix.
(d) A bearded man who is asking questions.
3. What does Grandma survive in her youth?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) A car accident.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) The Holocaust.
4. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
(a) Miss Chang.
(b) Mrs. Griffey.
(c) Miss Kelsey.
(d) Miss Rappalini.
5. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
(a) Children playing in the sand.
(b) A fisherman walking past him.
(c) The waves crashing.
(d) A mosquito buzzing in his ear.
6. At the beginning of Chapter 8, where is Jenny?
(a) On a bus ride.
(b) Alone in the house with her grandmother.
(c) Driving her grandmother to the store.
(d) At the beach.
7. In what setting does Brent go about building the third whirligig in Chapter 7?
(a) Near a cottage on a deserted beach road.
(b) On a pier near the ocean.
(c) Near a boarded up ice cream shop.
(d) On a beach next to a sand dune.
8. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
(a) Christmas celebrations.
(b) Poland and Hitler.
(c) Their Hebrew language.
(d) The teachings of the Torah.
9. Grandma puts on a dress made of what material?
10. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
(a) Friends and family.
(b) Motivation and direction.
(c) Faith and hope.
(d) Skills and interests.
11. Who/what is Brent's sole company as he works on the next whiligig?
(a) His friend Emil.
(b) His friend Flaco.
(d) Lea's photo.
12. While driving, what does Jenny notice about Grandma's face?
(a) It has an unfocused look.
(b) It is extremely pale.
(c) It is more wrinkled.
(d) It is blotched with rouge.
13. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
14. Who has a voice that makes Tony's mom's fillings ache?
(a) The Yankees' sports announcer.
(b) Bob Barker.
(c) The teacher.
15. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
(a) It is a lonely song.
(b) It is a cheerful song.
(c) It is a lament.
(d) It is a very difficult song to play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does Brent teach himself to play?
2. Why does Tony's mom let him quit taking violin lessons?
3. After finishing his journal entry, where does Tony look?
4. According to Tony, what is wonderful about throwing up?
5. What meaning does the whale whirligig have for Grandma?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)