|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rachel?
(a) Grandma's deceased sister.
(b) A weather girl on television.
(c) The next door neighbor.
(d) Jenny's mother.
2. As Chapter 5 begins, what city is Brent's next destination?
(a) San Diego.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Francisco.
3. Who has a voice that makes Tony's mom's fillings ache?
(a) The Yankees' sports announcer.
(b) The teacher.
(c) Bob Barker.
4. What is Grandma wearing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A red hat.
(b) A purple robe.
(c) A navy dress.
(d) A pink nightgown.
5. What does Tony write about his vacation?
(a) It was wonderful.
(b) It made him sick.
(c) It was horrible.
(d) It was exciting.
6. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
(a) The American pledge.
(b) The Asian pledge.
(c) The Dutch pledge.
(d) The German pledge.
7. Grandma puts on a dress made of what material?
8. How does the desk clerk treat Brent at the motel?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) With grace.
(c) With indifference.
(d) With gratitude.
9. What does Grandma wear on her head for the drive?
(a) A baseball cap.
(b) A beautiful silk scarf.
(c) A purple hat to match her dress.
(d) A wig from the Eisenhower era.
10. What book does Brent read as he crosses Louisiana?
(a) "Two Years Before the Mast."
(b) "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) "The Alamo."
(d) "Davy Crockett."
11. What does Grandma refuse to admit about her health?
(a) She is near death.
(b) She needs a hearing aid.
(c) She is senile.
(d) She is unable to walk.
12. What does Brent buy after leaving the museum?
(a) A bus pass to San Francisco.
(b) A pair of jeans.
(c) A harmonica and an instruction book.
(d) A book about building wooden toys.
13. What is special for Jenny's Grandma about this drive?
(a) Grandma makes good on a promise to her own parents.
(b) Grandma gets to spend time with Jenny.
(c) Grandma forgets her cancer for awhile.
(d) Grandma sees important places from her past.
14. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
(a) Poland and Hitler.
(b) The teachings of the Torah.
(c) Their Hebrew language.
(d) Christmas celebrations.
15. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
(a) The waves crashing.
(b) A mosquito buzzing in his ear.
(c) Children playing in the sand.
(d) A fisherman walking past him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brent mount the whirligig he finishes in Chapter 5?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
3. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
4. Who does Tony want to be?
5. Who is Trish?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)