|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what setting does Brent go about building the third whirligig in Chapter 7?
(a) On a beach next to a sand dune.
(b) Near a cottage on a deserted beach road.
(c) Near a boarded up ice cream shop.
(d) On a pier near the ocean.
2. What does Grandma survive in her youth?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) A car accident.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) The Korean War.
3. Who is Rachel?
(a) A weather girl on television.
(b) The next door neighbor.
(c) Grandma's deceased sister.
(d) Jenny's mother.
4. In Chapter 5, when Brent enters a dining room, who fills him with envy?
(a) A bearded man playing a concertina.
(b) A story teller who is surrounded by youngsters.
(c) A young man dressed in a business suit.
(d) A smiling family having dinner.
5. At the end of Chapter 5, whom does Brent serenade?
(d) A lost dog.
6. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
(a) He knows that he will not be graded on the entry anyway.
(b) He knows that he is lying.
(c) He remembers a funny joke he has played on his sister during vacation.
(d) He has misspelled "pretty" because spelling does not count.
7. At what kind of restaurant does Grandma tell Jenny to stop?
(a) A Chinese restaurant.
(b) A fast food chain.
(c) A Japanese sushi bar.
(d) A fish market.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 8, where is Jenny?
(a) On a bus ride.
(b) At the beach.
(c) Alone in the house with her grandmother.
(d) Driving her grandmother to the store.
9. Who visits while Brent is making the wooden band whirligig?
(a) A beachcomber.
(c) A minister.
(d) Seven or eight grammar-school-age children.
10. What song does Brent teach himself to play?
(a) "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."
(b) "Good Day Sunshine."
(c) "Amazing Grace."
(d) "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean."
11. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
(a) Two seagulls.
(b) Two crows.
(c) A helicopter
(d) A vulture.
12. Why does Tony's mom let him quit taking violin lessons?
(a) The teacher tells her that Tony is not talented.
(b) The teacher tells her that the violin is not the right instrument for Tony.
(c) The teacher tells her that Tony needs to rest.
(d) The teacher tells her that Tony is unruly.
13. What form will Brent's next whiligig take?
(a) A pirate's ship.
(b) A spouting whale.
(c) A flower garden.
(d) A harmonica.
14. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
(a) The American pledge.
(b) The Asian pledge.
(c) The Dutch pledge.
(d) The German pledge.
15. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
(a) Miss Chang.
(b) Miss Rappalini.
(c) Miss Kelsey.
(d) Mrs. Griffey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the worst part of Tony's summer vacation?
2. What is special for Jenny's Grandma about this drive?
3. Where does Brent mount the whirligig he finishes in Chapter 5?
4. What is Brent trying to learn from a book he has purchased?
5. Where does Brent have dinner in Chapter 7?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)