|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Brent filled with envy when he enters the dining room?
(a) He envies the family's sharing dinner leisurely.
(b) He envies the young man's obvious success.
(c) He envies the storyteller's ease with words.
(d) He envies the man's ability to entertain himself and others.
2. What does Grandma survive in her youth?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) The Holocaust.
(d) A car accident.
3. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
(a) Miss Kelsey.
(b) Miss Chang.
(c) Miss Rappalini.
(d) Mrs. Griffey.
4. Why does Tony scratch under his shirt at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) He is signaling his friend to pass a note.
(b) He always feels itchy when he writes in class.
(c) He is feeding a cord down his sleeve.
(d) He is still recovering from poison ivy.
5. What is Grandma wearing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A navy dress.
(b) A pink nightgown.
(c) A red hat.
(d) A purple robe.
6. According to Tony, what is wonderful about throwing up?
(a) You feel better afterwards.
(b) You do not have to go to school.
(c) You do not have to practice the violin.
(d) You get lots of attention.
7. What is Grandma's first language?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
(a) A snoring passenger.
(b) A bearded man who is asking questions.
(c) A lady who has boarded in Phoenix.
(d) A passenger who is humming.
9. What does Brent see as he enters the El Paso bus station?
(a) A picture of himself on a "Wanted" poster.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) A picture of a missing child.
(d) A picture of Lea.
10. What book does Brent read as he crosses Louisiana?
(a) "Pride and Prejudice."
(b) "Davy Crockett."
(c) "The Alamo."
(d) "Two Years Before the Mast."
11. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
(a) A vulture.
(b) Two crows.
(c) Two seagulls.
(d) A helicopter
12. What nationality is Tony?
13. Who is Trish?
(a) A guest at the motel.
(b) A desk clerk at the motel.
(c) A maid at the motel.
(d) A tour guide at the motel.
14. While driving, what does Jenny notice about Grandma's face?
(a) It is extremely pale.
(b) It has an unfocused look.
(c) It is more wrinkled.
(d) It is blotched with rouge.
15. Grandma puts on a dress made of what material?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
2. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
3. Where does Brent go after he leaves the dining hall?
4. At what kind of restaurant does Grandma tell Jenny to stop?
5. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)