|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
(a) Miss Chang.
(b) Miss Kelsey.
(c) Miss Rappalini.
(d) Mrs. Griffey.
2. What does Tony write about his vacation?
(a) It was horrible.
(b) It made him sick.
(c) It was wonderful.
(d) It was exciting.
3. What is the worst part of Tony's summer vacation?
(a) The harp whiligig at the campground.
(b) Fighting with Kelsey.
(c) Fishing in the stream for hours.
(d) Practicing violin everyday.
4. Who is Deborah?
(a) Grandma's other granddaughter.
(b) Jenny's mother.
(c) Grandma's caregiver.
(d) An unexpected visitor.
5. Whom does Brent sit beside in the dining hall?
(a) An older, bearded gentlemen.
(b) An attractive eighteen year old French girl.
(c) An eighteen year old German student.
(d) Two Canadian cyclists.
6. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
(a) He knows that he will not be graded on the entry anyway.
(b) He has misspelled "pretty" because spelling does not count.
(c) He remembers a funny joke he has played on his sister during vacation.
(d) He knows that he is lying.
7. What has Jenny's parents tried to put behind them?
(a) Their Hebrew language.
(b) Christmas celebrations.
(c) The teachings of the Torah.
(d) Poland and Hitler.
8. At what kind of restaurant does Grandma tell Jenny to stop?
(a) A fast food chain.
(b) A fish market.
(c) A Japanese sushi bar.
(d) A Chinese restaurant.
9. What song does Brent teach himself to play?
(a) "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."
(b) "Amazing Grace."
(c) "Good Day Sunshine."
(d) "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean."
10. What does Brent have with him that could make his journey easier?
(a) A Visa card.
(b) A voucher for free lodging at the Sheraton.
(c) Five hundred dollars in cash.
(d) An airline ticket to any destination.
11. What does Brent do during the night hours?
(a) Reads the next chapter of the whirligig guidebook.
(b) Reads biographies about famous inventors.
(c) Writes letters to his parents.
(d) Plays his harmonica and works with the star guide.
12. What instrument does Tony play?
(a) The piano.
(b) The violin.
(c) The tuba.
(d) The accordion.
13. As Chapter 5 begins, what city is Brent's next destination?
(a) San Diego.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) Los Angeles.
14. Where do the billboards announcing the Key Lime Pie Belt first appear on Brent's bus trip?
15. How does the desk clerk treat Brent at the motel?
(a) With indifference.
(b) With suspicion.
(c) With gratitude.
(d) With grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musicians are represented on the third whirligig?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 7, who is annoying Brent?
3. What does Grandma refuse to admit about her health?
4. In what setting does Brent go about building the third whirligig in Chapter 7?
5. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)