|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Brent go after he leaves the dining hall?
(a) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(b) A nearby golf range.
(c) The San Diego Zoo.
(d) A video store.
2. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
(a) Friends and family.
(b) Skills and interests.
(c) Faith and hope.
(d) Motivation and direction.
3. What is Tony doing while the teacher tells the students to write in their journals?
(a) Daydreaming about his vacation.
(b) Thumping his desk.
(c) Drawing the Seattle Mariners logo.
(d) Writing a note to a classmate.
4. While driving, what does Jenny notice about Grandma's face?
(a) It is extremely pale.
(b) It is more wrinkled.
(c) It has an unfocused look.
(d) It is blotched with rouge.
5. What is the temperature that is displayed on the sign outside the station?
(a) 75 degrees.
(b) 98 degrees.
(c) 109 degrees.
(d) 32 degrees.
6. Where does Brent stay when he arrives at his destination?
(a) A Dutch family's home.
(b) The Sheraton.
(c) A youth hostel.
(d) A campground.
7. Who does Tony want to be?
(d) Mr. Mintz.
8. As Chapter 5 begins, what city is Brent's next destination?
(a) San Diego.
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Francisco.
9. In Chapter 6, what is the fifth grade teacher's name?
(a) Miss Chang.
(b) Miss Kelsey.
(c) Mrs. Griffey.
(d) Miss Rappalini.
10. What does Grandma refuse to admit about her health?
(a) She is near death.
(b) She is unable to walk.
(c) She is senile.
(d) She needs a hearing aid.
11. What does Tony write about his vacation?
(a) It was exciting.
(b) It was wonderful.
(c) It made him sick.
(d) It was horrible.
12. What is the worst part of Tony's summer vacation?
(a) The harp whiligig at the campground.
(b) Fishing in the stream for hours.
(c) Practicing violin everyday.
(d) Fighting with Kelsey.
13. What is Grandma wearing at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) A navy dress.
(b) A red hat.
(c) A purple robe.
(d) A pink nightgown.
14. Why does Tony's mom let him quit taking violin lessons?
(a) The teacher tells her that Tony is unruly.
(b) The teacher tells her that the violin is not the right instrument for Tony.
(c) The teacher tells her that Tony is not talented.
(d) The teacher tells her that Tony needs to rest.
15. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
(a) He knows that he will not be graded on the entry anyway.
(b) He has misspelled "pretty" because spelling does not count.
(c) He remembers a funny joke he has played on his sister during vacation.
(d) He knows that he is lying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Brent filled with envy when he enters the dining room?
2. Who/what is Brent's sole company as he works on the next whiligig?
3. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
4. Why does Brent like being in Texas?
5. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)