|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
(a) He has misspelled "pretty" because spelling does not count.
(b) He knows that he will not be graded on the entry anyway.
(c) He remembers a funny joke he has played on his sister during vacation.
(d) He knows that he is lying.
2. What is the temperature that is displayed on the sign outside the station?
(a) 98 degrees.
(b) 75 degrees.
(c) 109 degrees.
(d) 32 degrees.
3. What does Brent realize about the song which he teaches himself to play?
(a) It is a lament.
(b) It is a very difficult song to play.
(c) It is a cheerful song.
(d) It is a lonely song.
4. What does Brent see as he enters the El Paso bus station?
(a) A picture of a missing child.
(b) A picture of himself on a "Wanted" poster.
(c) A lost puppy.
(d) A picture of Lea.
5. What is the final entry in Tony's journal about his vacation?
(a) "The summer was pritty wonderful."
(b) "The summer turned out to be pritty good."
(c) "The summer was wonderful."
(d) "The summer turned out to be pretty good."
6. Why does Grandma ask Jenny to stop in the middle of a street?
(a) To let a bicyclist pass.
(b) To look at a birch tree.
(c) To pick up a lost dog.
(d) To look at roses in a yard.
7. While driving, what does Jenny notice about Grandma's face?
(a) It is blotched with rouge.
(b) It is extremely pale.
(c) It is more wrinkled.
(d) It has an unfocused look.
8. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
(a) A vulture.
(b) Two seagulls.
(c) Two crows.
(d) A helicopter
9. In what setting does Brent go about building the third whirligig in Chapter 7?
(a) Near a cottage on a deserted beach road.
(b) On a pier near the ocean.
(c) Near a boarded up ice cream shop.
(d) On a beach next to a sand dune.
10. Grandma puts on a dress made of what material?
11. What nationality is Tony?
12. What is Brent trying to learn from a book he has purchased?
(a) Astrology signs.
(b) How to survive in the desert.
(c) History of the American Indians.
(d) The stars' names.
13. What does Grandma survive in her youth?
(a) Scarlet fever.
(b) The Holocaust.
(c) A car accident.
(d) The Korean War.
14. Why does Brent like being in Texas?
(a) No one knows him there.
(b) He likes reading about the history of Texas.
(c) He remembers vacationing there as a child.
(d) He likes the Dallas Cowboys.
15. Where does Brent mount the whirligig he finishes in Chapter 5?
(a) On a church lawn.
(b) On the front porch of the establishment.
(c) On a tree trunk.
(d) On a restaurant window.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 8, where is Jenny?
2. As Brent walks down a street in El Paso, whom does he encounter with tweezerlike eyes?
3. Where does Brent stay when he arrives at his destination?
4. Who is Deborah?
5. What book does Brent read as he crosses Louisiana?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)