|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the desk clerk treat Brent at the motel?
(a) With grace.
(b) With indifference.
(c) With gratitude.
(d) With suspicion.
2. What does Brent see as he enters the El Paso bus station?
(a) A picture of a missing child.
(b) A lost puppy.
(c) A picture of himself on a "Wanted" poster.
(d) A picture of Lea.
3. What does Brent feel is missing in his life?
(a) Skills and interests.
(b) Motivation and direction.
(c) Faith and hope.
(d) Friends and family.
4. What nationality is Tony?
5. At the end of Chapter 5, whom does Brent serenade?
(a) A lost dog.
6. As Brent walks down a street in El Paso, whom does he encounter with tweezerlike eyes?
(a) A fleeing robber.
(b) A street preacher.
(c) A street vendor.
(d) A homeless man.
7. What meaning does the whale whirligig have for Grandma?
(a) Nature follows a cycle of life and death.
(b) Life will continue to "spin" after her death.
(c) The ocean is the keeper of life.
(d) The dead want the living to laugh.
8. What is Grandma's first language?
9. What instrument does Tony play?
(a) The accordion.
(b) The tuba.
(c) The violin.
(d) The piano.
10. Who is Tony's music teacher?
(a) Miss Chang.
(b) Miss Rappalini.
(c) Mr. Mintz.
(d) Mr. Griffey.
11. According to Tony, what is wonderful about throwing up?
(a) You do not have to go to school.
(b) You get lots of attention.
(c) You do not have to practice the violin.
(d) You feel better afterwards.
12. What does Brent have with him that could make his journey easier?
(a) An airline ticket to any destination.
(b) A Visa card.
(c) Five hundred dollars in cash.
(d) A voucher for free lodging at the Sheraton.
13. What color are practically all of Grandma's shoes?
14. What pledge does Tony break while on summer vacation?
(a) The American pledge.
(b) The German pledge.
(c) The Asian pledge.
(d) The Dutch pledge.
15. In Chapter 8, what serves as Brent's alarm clock on the beach?
(a) A fisherman walking past him.
(b) Children playing in the sand.
(c) The waves crashing.
(d) A mosquito buzzing in his ear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form will Brent's next whiligig take?
2. What is circling the old house on Kansas Street?
3. Who is Rachel?
4. What does Brent study during breaks from building the third whirligig?
5. Why does Tony laugh at his last entry?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)