|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tears at the boys' clothes in Chapter 14?
2. What does Billy say he will shake out of the prince?
3. Who does Billy hit with the whip?
4. What has the prince never been allowed to do?
5. In what does Jemmy hide in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
2. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
3. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
4. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
5. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
6. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
7. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
8. Why does Prince Brat not yell and holler when he is getting whipped?
9. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
10. Why does Jemmy have to return to the castle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The whipping boy is central to the story, earning the title of the book. Write a response exploring the idea of a whipping boy. What is a whipping boy? How is a whipping boy used? What is expected of the whipping boy? How is the role of the whipping boy important to the plot's development? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Courage is one of the story's themes. Write a response exploring the idea of courage in the story. What characters embody the idea of courage? How do the characters show courage? How does a character's courage affect the plot? What does it mean to the characters to be courageous? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Trust is a key theme in the story. Write a response exploring the theme of trust. How is trust portrayed in the story? What characters are trustworthy? What characters cannot be trusted? How does the trust between characters change and evolve throughout the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)