|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prince promise Jemmy at the end of Chapter 12?
2. Where is the young girl in the forest going?
3. Who follows the boys into the sewers?
4. Why does the prince say he is following Jemmy in Chapter 19?
5. Why is Jemmy collecting driftwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
2. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
3. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
4. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
5. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
6. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
7. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
8. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
9. What changes do the outlaws make in their ransom note delivery plan in Chapter 12?
10. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is an important theme in "The Whipping Boy." Write a response explaining how loyalty is portrayed in the story. What characters are loyal? What characters are not loyal? To what characters is loyalty important? How do a character's loyal actions or betrayals affect the story's plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an underlying theme throughout the story. What friendships are present in the story? How do the friendships change as the story progresses? Why do some friendships falter as other friendships grow? What does friendship mean to the main characters in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)