|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Hot-Potato Man offer the boys in Chapter 18?
2. What does the prince tell Hot-Potato Man to do with Jemmy?
3. Who is driving the coach the boys see in Chapter 15?
4. What color is the prince's face when Jemmy meets him after running through the forest?
5. Who tries to keep from drowning in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
2. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
3. Why does Jemmy have to return to the castle?
4. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
5. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
6. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
7. Why does Prince Brat not yell and holler when he is getting whipped?
8. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
9. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
10. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each chapter in "The Whipping Boy" has a different title that reflects the events of that specific chapter. Choose three chapter titles and explain how each title is appropriate for that chapter's events. How does the chapter's title tell the reader what might happen without giving too much information? For each chapter chosen, write an alternate chapter that explains the events without providing too much information.
Essay Topic 2
Respect is an important idea in the story. Write a response exploring the idea of respect. How is respect portrayed in the story? How is respect important to the plot? What characters illustrate respect? What characters demonstrate a lack of respect? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an underlying theme throughout the story. What friendships are present in the story? How do the friendships change as the story progresses? Why do some friendships falter as other friendships grow? What does friendship mean to the main characters in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)