|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of streets does the city have?
2. What is Jemmy harder to catch than?
3. What does Jemmy ask the girl in the forest?
4. Why do the outlaws think the prince refuses to take the note?
5. What does Jemmy say the prince has for brains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
2. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
3. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
4. Why does Jemmy run to the sewers at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
6. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
7. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
8. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
9. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
10. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage is one of the story's themes. Write a response exploring the idea of courage in the story. What characters embody the idea of courage? How do the characters show courage? How does a character's courage affect the plot? What does it mean to the characters to be courageous? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses irony as a literary element to further develop the story. Write a response explaining the use of irony in the story. What is irony? How does the author use irony in the story? What events are ironic? How are these events ironic? How do these ironic events further the plot's development? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)