|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the fairgrounds located?
2. What are Jemmy and the prince following in Chapter 15?
3. Why do the outlaws think the prince refuses to take the note?
4. What does the prince pull out of the mud in Chapter 15?
5. Jemmy describes picking up trash to the prince as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
2. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
3. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
4. Why does Petunia attack the outlaws?
5. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
6. Why does Jemmy have to return to the castle?
7. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
8. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
9. Why does Jemmy run to the sewers at the beginning of Chapter 19?
10. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses the literary technique of foreshadowing to help the reader predict certain events to come in the story. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the story. What specific instances illustrate the foreshadowing technique? What later events do these events foreshadow? How does the use of foreshadowing help the reader understand the story?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)