|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jemmy flash at the prince in Chapter 11?
2. What does Jemmy hide from the outlaw in?
3. What is the most valuable thing that Jemmy finds in Chapter 15?
4. What type of streets does the city have?
5. Jemmy says he knows more places to hide than what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
2. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
3. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
4. What does the prince have to promise in order to keep Jemmy under his protection?
5. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
6. What changes do the outlaws make in their ransom note delivery plan in Chapter 12?
7. Why does Petunia attack the outlaws?
8. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
9. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
10. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jemmy spends his life in the city sewers before he is turned into the prince's whipping boy. Write a response comparing and contrasting Jemmy's two lives. How is his life in the sewers similar to his life in the castle? How are those two parts of his life different? How does one affect or influence the other? How does Jemmy take knowledge from one situation to another? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the literary technique of foreshadowing to help the reader predict certain events to come in the story. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the story. What specific instances illustrate the foreshadowing technique? What later events do these events foreshadow? How does the use of foreshadowing help the reader understand the story?
Essay Topic 3
Prince Brat and Jemmy both discuss their relationships with their fathers. Describe both Prince Brat's and Jemmy's relationships with their fathers. How are the relationships similar? How are the relationships the different? How do these father/son relationships influence the prince and Jemmy? How do the relationships affect the story's plot?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)