|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Jemmy see when he is running through the forest?
2. What color is the prince's face when Jemmy meets him after running through the forest?
3. What name do the boys hear being called in Chapter 14?
4. What is the young woman in the forest carrying in Chapter 14?
5. What does Jemmy ask the girl in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
2. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
3. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
4. Why does Jemmy ask the prince if he can fend for himself in Chapter 15?
5. What changes do the outlaws make in their ransom note delivery plan in Chapter 12?
6. Why does Prince Brat not yell and holler when he is getting whipped?
7. Why does Petunia attack the outlaws?
8. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
9. What does the prince have to promise in order to keep Jemmy under his protection?
10. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty is an important theme in "The Whipping Boy." Write a response explaining how loyalty is portrayed in the story. What characters are loyal? What characters are not loyal? To what characters is loyalty important? How do a character's loyal actions or betrayals affect the story's plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses multiple similes and metaphors as descriptors for both characters and certain situations. Choose three similes and three metaphors used in the book. Identify and explain how these metaphors and similes describe the character or event. How are similes and metaphors useful? With what information do these techniques provide the reader? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several lessons learned by many of the characters in the book, particularly Prince Brat and Jemmy. Describe the lessons learned by the characters in the story. What lessons do the characters learn? How do those lessons affect the other characters in the story? How are those lessons similar to lessons the reader might learn from the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in your response.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)