|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy put in the linen sack?
2. What does Jemmy ask the girl in the forest?
3. How does Jemmy refer to the ransom in Chapter 12?
4. What does Jemmy put on his head in Chapter 16?
5. Jemmy describes picking up trash to the prince as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
2. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
3. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
4. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
5. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
6. Why does Jemmy run to the sewers at the beginning of Chapter 19?
7. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
8. What changes do the outlaws make in their ransom note delivery plan in Chapter 12?
9. Why does Jemmy have to return to the castle?
10. Why does Petunia attack the outlaws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty is an important theme in "The Whipping Boy." Write a response explaining how loyalty is portrayed in the story. What characters are loyal? What characters are not loyal? To what characters is loyalty important? How do a character's loyal actions or betrayals affect the story's plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Prince Brat and Jemmy both discuss their relationships with their fathers. Describe both Prince Brat's and Jemmy's relationships with their fathers. How are the relationships similar? How are the relationships the different? How do these father/son relationships influence the prince and Jemmy? How do the relationships affect the story's plot?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an underlying theme throughout the story. What friendships are present in the story? How do the friendships change as the story progresses? Why do some friendships falter as other friendships grow? What does friendship mean to the main characters in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)