|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the prince's face when Jemmy meets him after running through the forest?
2. Where is the young girl in the forest going?
3. Who follows Jemmy running out of the hut in Chapter 13?
4. What animal does Cutwater move like in Chapter 17?
5. What does Betsy think the Hot-Potato Man's horses need?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
2. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
3. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
4. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
5. What does the prince have to promise in order to keep Jemmy under his protection?
6. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
7. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
8. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
9. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
10. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Respect is an important idea in the story. Write a response exploring the idea of respect. How is respect portrayed in the story? How is respect important to the plot? What characters illustrate respect? What characters demonstrate a lack of respect? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The whipping boy is central to the story, earning the title of the book. Write a response exploring the idea of a whipping boy. What is a whipping boy? How is a whipping boy used? What is expected of the whipping boy? How is the role of the whipping boy important to the plot's development? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an underlying theme throughout the story. What friendships are present in the story? How do the friendships change as the story progresses? Why do some friendships falter as other friendships grow? What does friendship mean to the main characters in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)