|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jemmy collecting driftwood?
2. What does the king give Betsy and the Hot-Potato Man?
3. Who follows Jemmy running out of the hut in Chapter 13?
4. Jemmy says he knows more places to hide than what?
5. What is the prince scared of in the sewers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
2. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
3. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
4. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
5. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
6. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
7. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
8. Why does Jemmy ask the prince if he can fend for himself in Chapter 15?
9. What does the prince have to promise in order to keep Jemmy under his protection?
10. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Jemmy spends his life in the city sewers before he is turned into the prince's whipping boy. Write a response comparing and contrasting Jemmy's two lives. How is his life in the sewers similar to his life in the castle? How are those two parts of his life different? How does one affect or influence the other? How does Jemmy take knowledge from one situation to another? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Prince Brat and Jemmy both discuss their relationships with their fathers. Describe both Prince Brat's and Jemmy's relationships with their fathers. How are the relationships similar? How are the relationships the different? How do these father/son relationships influence the prince and Jemmy? How do the relationships affect the story's plot?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)