|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young girl in the forest?
2. What does Billy say he will shake out of the prince?
3. Jemmy tells the prince to say he went where?
4. Why does the prince say he is following Jemmy in Chapter 19?
5. What does Jemmy flash at the prince in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
2. Why does Jemmy ask the prince if he can fend for himself in Chapter 15?
3. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
4. Why does Prince Brat not yell and holler when he is getting whipped?
5. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
6. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
7. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
8. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
9. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
10. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship and interactions between Prince Brat and Jemmy are central to the story. Describe Jemmy and Prince Brat's relationship at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. How does their relationship change, evolve, and grow throughout the course of the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is an important theme in "The Whipping Boy." Write a response explaining how loyalty is portrayed in the story. What characters are loyal? What characters are not loyal? To what characters is loyalty important? How do a character's loyal actions or betrayals affect the story's plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)