|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is above the left side of the sewer?
2. What does Jemmy put on his head in Chapter 16?
3. In what does Jemmy hide in Chapter 16?
4. What is Jemmy harder to catch than?
5. What comes after the outlaws in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
2. Why does Prince Brat not yell and holler when he is getting whipped?
3. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
4. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
5. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
6. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
7. What does the prince have to promise in order to keep Jemmy under his protection?
8. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
9. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
10. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Jemmy spends his life in the city sewers before he is turned into the prince's whipping boy. Write a response comparing and contrasting Jemmy's two lives. How is his life in the sewers similar to his life in the castle? How are those two parts of his life different? How does one affect or influence the other? How does Jemmy take knowledge from one situation to another? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Prince Brat and Jemmy's relationship is hostile at the beginning of the book and through much of the main action of the story. Write a response explaining how the story would be different if Jemmy and the prince had gotten along and been friends to begin the story. Would the story's events have happened the same way? What would have been different in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)