|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of streets does the city have?
2. What does the king give Betsy and the Hot-Potato Man?
3. What animal does Cutwater move like in Chapter 17?
4. Jemmy describes picking up trash to the prince as what?
5. Jemmy tells the prince to say he went where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
2. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
3. Who do Jemmy and the prince meet in the forest after they get away from Cutwater in Chapter 14?
4. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
5. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
6. Why does Jemmy run to the sewers at the beginning of Chapter 19?
7. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
8. Why does Prince Brat not yell and holler when he is getting whipped?
9. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
10. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat and Jemmy's relationship is hostile at the beginning of the book and through much of the main action of the story. Write a response explaining how the story would be different if Jemmy and the prince had gotten along and been friends to begin the story. Would the story's events have happened the same way? What would have been different in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Respect is an important idea in the story. Write a response exploring the idea of respect. How is respect portrayed in the story? How is respect important to the plot? What characters illustrate respect? What characters demonstrate a lack of respect? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)