|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jemmy and the prince following in Chapter 15?
2. Where is the prince going at the beginning of Chapter 20?
3. What is the most valuable thing that Jemmy finds in Chapter 15?
4. By what part of the body do the outlaws hold onto the boys in Chapter 16?
5. Who takes the horse towards the castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jemmy dismiss himself from the prince's service?
2. How does the prince feel about the boys' adventure in the forest?
3. What changes do the outlaws make in their ransom note delivery plan in Chapter 12?
4. What does the prince have to promise in order to keep Jemmy under his protection?
5. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
6. Why does Jemmy hide in the pile of potatoes?
7. Why does Jemmy have to return to the castle?
8. Why is Jemmy relieved to finally reach the city streets in Chapter 18?
9. Why does the prince refuse to deliver the ransom note?
10. Why do the outlaws think the prince is refusing to deliver the ransom note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat experiences many "firsts" in the story as a result of his sheltered life in the castle. Identify and explain the various firsts that Prince Brat experiences throughout the story. How does encountering these firsts affect the prince's character? How is his experience of these firsts different from that of other characters that encountered these events? How does the prince handle each first? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is an underlying theme throughout the story. What friendships are present in the story? How do the friendships change as the story progresses? Why do some friendships falter as other friendships grow? What does friendship mean to the main characters in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty is an important theme in "The Whipping Boy." Write a response explaining how loyalty is portrayed in the story. What characters are loyal? What characters are not loyal? To what characters is loyalty important? How do a character's loyal actions or betrayals affect the story's plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)