|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the prince's face when Jemmy meets him after running through the forest?
2. What name do the boys hear being called in Chapter 14?
3. What is the young woman in the forest carrying in Chapter 14?
4. What does Cutwater say he will do to the boys in Chapter 12?
5. To what animal is Jemmy's running compared in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the outlaws whip Prince Brat?
2. Why does Jemmy ask the prince if he can fend for himself in Chapter 15?
3. What does the prince do when he meets Smudge in the city?
4. Why do the boys want to stay out of the left side of the sewers?
5. Why does Jemmy run out of the outlaws' hut?
6. Why does Jemmy have to return to the castle?
7. Why does Petunia attack the outlaws?
8. What does the prince have to promise in order to keep Jemmy under his protection?
9. Why is Jemmy sure the king will not pay the ransom?
10. Why does Jemmy start collecting driftwood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses the literary technique of foreshadowing to help the reader predict certain events to come in the story. Explain how the author uses foreshadowing in the story. What specific instances illustrate the foreshadowing technique? What later events do these events foreshadow? How does the use of foreshadowing help the reader understand the story?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship and interactions between Prince Brat and Jemmy are central to the story. Describe Jemmy and Prince Brat's relationship at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. How does their relationship change, evolve, and grow throughout the course of the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several lessons learned by many of the characters in the book, particularly Prince Brat and Jemmy. Describe the lessons learned by the characters in the story. What lessons do the characters learn? How do those lessons affect the other characters in the story? How are those lessons similar to lessons the reader might learn from the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in your response.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)