|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jemmy?
2. What is the prince fuming like in Chapter 10?
3. What does Billy eat to clear his head?
4. Where does Jemmy think about hiding in Chapter 4?
5. What does Jemmy say the outlaws should send with the ransom note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the outlaws' hut look like?
2. Who is the whipping boy?
3. What does Jemmy tell the outlaws he is writing in the ransom note?
4. Why does the prince refuse to do his lessons?
5. Why does Billy enjoy eating garlic?
6. How does Jemmy sign the ransom note?
7. What is Cutwater's concern about the ransom note in Chapter 9?
8. Why is the prince unhappy with Jemmy in Chapter 1?
9. What do the outlaws feed the boys?
10. What is Jemmy dreaming about in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses irony as a literary element to further develop the story. Write a response explaining the use of irony in the story. What is irony? How does the author use irony in the story? What events are ironic? How are these events ironic? How do these ironic events further the plot's development? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Courage is one of the story's themes. Write a response exploring the idea of courage in the story. What characters embody the idea of courage? How do the characters show courage? How does a character's courage affect the plot? What does it mean to the characters to be courageous? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses multiple similes and metaphors as descriptors for both characters and certain situations. Choose three similes and three metaphors used in the book. Identify and explain how these metaphors and similes describe the character or event. How are similes and metaphors useful? With what information do these techniques provide the reader? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)