|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jemmy remembers Billy as what?
2. With what punishment does the prince threaten the cutthroats?
3. What is the prince wearing in the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What does Billy think the boys might have in their pockets?
5. What reward do the cutthroats want?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the prince appear in Jemmy's room in Chapter 3?
2. What is the reasoning for the prince's decision in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Jemmy not want the prince to reveal his identity?
4. What happens over the year at the prince's lessons?
5. Who is the whipping boy?
6. When can Jemmy always count on a whipping?
7. Why does the prince refuse to do his lessons?
8. How do the outlaws decide who will write the ransom note?
9. What do the cutthroats want from the prince and Jemmy?
10. Why does the prince choose Jemmy to join him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust is a key theme in the story. Write a response exploring the theme of trust. How is trust portrayed in the story? What characters are trustworthy? What characters cannot be trusted? How does the trust between characters change and evolve throughout the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Courage is one of the story's themes. Write a response exploring the idea of courage in the story. What characters embody the idea of courage? How do the characters show courage? How does a character's courage affect the plot? What does it mean to the characters to be courageous? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)