|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the prince fuming like in Chapter 10?
2. What does Billy eat to clear his head?
3. What kind of pies are in the basket?
4. What animal does Jemmy compare himself to in Chapter 2?
5. Who is Master Peckwith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Billy enjoy eating garlic?
2. Why does the prince refuse to do his lessons?
3. How does the prince react to the breakfast the outlaws offer him?
4. How do the boys get lost in the forest?
5. How does Jemmy sign the ransom note?
6. Why does Jemmy not want the prince to reveal his identity?
7. Why is the prince known as Prince Brat?
8. Why is the prince angry with Jemmy in Chapter 7?
9. Who do the outlaws decide to send with the ransom note?
10. Why do the outlaws think that Jemmy is really the prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat and Jemmy both discuss their relationships with their fathers. Describe both Prince Brat's and Jemmy's relationships with their fathers. How are the relationships similar? How are the relationships the different? How do these father/son relationships influence the prince and Jemmy? How do the relationships affect the story's plot?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses multiple similes and metaphors as descriptors for both characters and certain situations. Choose three similes and three metaphors used in the book. Identify and explain how these metaphors and similes describe the character or event. How are similes and metaphors useful? With what information do these techniques provide the reader? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Prince Brat experiences many "firsts" in the story as a result of his sheltered life in the castle. Identify and explain the various firsts that Prince Brat experiences throughout the story. How does encountering these firsts affect the prince's character? How is his experience of these firsts different from that of other characters that encountered these events? How does the prince handle each first? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)