|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the cutthroats live?
2. Who grabs the prince at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What does Jemmy call the prince in Chapter 1?
4. Where does Jemmy come from?
5. What kind of tarts are in the basket?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jemmy get the outlaws to increase their ransom demand?
2. What does Jemmy suggest when Billy rejects his first idea of how to deliver the ransom note?
3. Why does the prince appear in Jemmy's room in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Jemmy want to hide in the sewers?
5. Why is the prince known as Prince Brat?
6. Why is Jemmy excited to receive a whipping at lessons the first day following the king's feast?
7. What are some of the pranks the prince has played on people at the castle?
8. What happens over the year at the prince's lessons?
9. Who do the outlaws decide to send with the ransom note?
10. Who is the whipping boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat and Jemmy's relationship is hostile at the beginning of the book and through much of the main action of the story. Write a response explaining how the story would be different if Jemmy and the prince had gotten along and been friends to begin the story. Would the story's events have happened the same way? What would have been different in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Respect is an important idea in the story. Write a response exploring the idea of respect. How is respect portrayed in the story? How is respect important to the plot? What characters illustrate respect? What characters demonstrate a lack of respect? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The whipping boy is central to the story, earning the title of the book. Write a response exploring the idea of a whipping boy. What is a whipping boy? How is a whipping boy used? What is expected of the whipping boy? How is the role of the whipping boy important to the plot's development? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)