|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prince warn Jemmy about?
2. What do the boys eat with their bread?
3. What can the prince not do?
4. How many whacks does the king command in Chapter 1?
5. How many friends does Jemmy say the prince has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the whipping boy?
2. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
3. Why does Jemmy not want the prince to reveal his identity?
4. Why does the prince refuse to do his lessons?
5. Why does the prince choose Jemmy to join him?
6. How does Jemmy sign the ransom note?
7. What do the cutthroats want from the prince and Jemmy?
8. Why does Jemmy suggest the outlaws send the crown with the note?
9. What does Jemmy suggest when Billy rejects his first idea of how to deliver the ransom note?
10. How does the prince react to the breakfast the outlaws offer him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Whipping Boy" takes place during the medieval times, including elements like castles, kings, princes, and other era-appropriate images in the setting. Write a response explaining the importance of the time period and setting on the story. What elements of the story exist merely because the story takes place during this time period? How is the time period important to the story? How are the various settings important to the story's development?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalty is an important theme in "The Whipping Boy." Write a response explaining how loyalty is portrayed in the story. What characters are loyal? What characters are not loyal? To what characters is loyalty important? How do a character's loyal actions or betrayals affect the story's plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Respect is an important idea in the story. Write a response exploring the idea of respect. How is respect portrayed in the story? How is respect important to the plot? What characters illustrate respect? What characters demonstrate a lack of respect? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)