|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught Jemmy his way through the sewers?
2. Who is Master Peckwith?
3. Who thinks Jemmy might have lied in the ransom note?
4. What is the prince's name?
5. With what punishment does the prince threaten the cutthroats?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who pulls the prince from the horse and then grabs Jemmy in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Jemmy want to hide in the sewers?
3. What does the price command Jemmy to do when they are lost?
4. When can Jemmy always count on a whipping?
5. What does the outlaws' hut look like?
6. Who is the whipping boy?
7. What are some of the pranks the prince has played on people at the castle?
8. Why does Jemmy suggest the outlaws send the crown with the note?
9. Who do the outlaws decide to send with the ransom note?
10. What happens over the year at the prince's lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Whipping Boy" takes place during the medieval times, including elements like castles, kings, princes, and other era-appropriate images in the setting. Write a response explaining the importance of the time period and setting on the story. What elements of the story exist merely because the story takes place during this time period? How is the time period important to the story? How are the various settings important to the story's development?
Essay Topic 2
Jemmy spends his life in the city sewers before he is turned into the prince's whipping boy. Write a response comparing and contrasting Jemmy's two lives. How is his life in the sewers similar to his life in the castle? How are those two parts of his life different? How does one affect or influence the other? How does Jemmy take knowledge from one situation to another? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship and interactions between Prince Brat and Jemmy are central to the story. Describe Jemmy and Prince Brat's relationship at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. How does their relationship change, evolve, and grow throughout the course of the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)