|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many friends does Jemmy say the prince has?
2. What is the prince fuming like in Chapter 10?
3. What does the whipping boy learn to do?
4. What is the prince's nickname?
5. What does the prince warn Jemmy about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jemmy dreaming about in Chapter 1?
2. When can Jemmy always count on a whipping?
3. Why do the outlaws think that Jemmy is really the prince?
4. Who do the outlaws decide to send with the ransom note?
5. Why does Jemmy not want the prince to reveal his identity?
6. How does Jemmy get the outlaws to increase their ransom demand?
7. Why is the prince unhappy with Jemmy in Chapter 1?
8. How does Jemmy sign the ransom note?
9. Why is the prince known as Prince Brat?
10. What does Jemmy tell the outlaws he is writing in the ransom note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
Essay Topic 2
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Prince Brat experiences many "firsts" in the story as a result of his sheltered life in the castle. Identify and explain the various firsts that Prince Brat experiences throughout the story. How does encountering these firsts affect the prince's character? How is his experience of these firsts different from that of other characters that encountered these events? How does the prince handle each first? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)