|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does Billy have?
2. What does Billy say will improve the taste of the boys' breakfast?
3. Where does Jemmy think about hiding in Chapter 4?
4. What does Cutwater find in a stolen coat pocket?
5. Jemmy compares the outlaws to what animal in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the prince react to the breakfast the outlaws offer him?
2. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
3. What is the reasoning for the prince's decision in Chapter 3?
4. Who do the outlaws decide to send with the ransom note?
5. Who pulls the prince from the horse and then grabs Jemmy in Chapter 5?
6. Why does Jemmy want to hide in the sewers?
7. Why does Jemmy suggest the outlaws send the crown with the note?
8. What does Jemmy tell the outlaws he is writing in the ransom note?
9. Who is the whipping boy?
10. Why is Jemmy excited to receive a whipping at lessons the first day following the king's feast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat experiences many "firsts" in the story as a result of his sheltered life in the castle. Identify and explain the various firsts that Prince Brat experiences throughout the story. How does encountering these firsts affect the prince's character? How is his experience of these firsts different from that of other characters that encountered these events? How does the prince handle each first? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)