|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the cutthroats not do?
2. What do the boys eat with their bread?
3. What does Billy say Cutwater can slip in and out of?
4. What does the prince warn Jemmy about?
5. Who thinks Jemmy might have lied in the ransom note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the outlaws' hut look like?
2. What happens over the year at the prince's lessons?
3. What are some of the pranks the prince has played on people at the castle?
4. Why do the outlaws think that Jemmy is really the prince?
5. Why is Jemmy excited to receive a whipping at lessons the first day following the king's feast?
6. What does the price command Jemmy to do when they are lost?
7. What is the prince carrying in the basket?
8. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
9. What does Jemmy tell the outlaws he is writing in the ransom note?
10. Why is the prince known as Prince Brat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prince Brat and Jemmy both discuss their relationships with their fathers. Describe both Prince Brat's and Jemmy's relationships with their fathers. How are the relationships similar? How are the relationships the different? How do these father/son relationships influence the prince and Jemmy? How do the relationships affect the story's plot?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship and interactions between Prince Brat and Jemmy are central to the story. Describe Jemmy and Prince Brat's relationship at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. How does their relationship change, evolve, and grow throughout the course of the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses irony as a literary element to further develop the story. Write a response explaining the use of irony in the story. What is irony? How does the author use irony in the story? What events are ironic? How are these events ironic? How do these ironic events further the plot's development? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)