|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Billy's teeth?
2. To what is the night moon and how it lights the way compared to in Chapter 4?
3. What does the prince ask Jemmy?
4. What does Cutwater find in a stolen coat pocket?
5. What type of breeches does Jemmy wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the pranks the prince has played on people at the castle?
2. What do the cutthroats want from the prince and Jemmy?
3. Why does the prince choose Jemmy to join him?
4. Why does the prince refuse to do his lessons?
5. Why does Jemmy not want the prince to reveal his identity?
6. What is the reasoning for the prince's decision in Chapter 3?
7. What does Jemmy suggest when Billy rejects his first idea of how to deliver the ransom note?
8. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
9. What happens over the year at the prince's lessons?
10. Why does Billy enjoy eating garlic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses multiple similes and metaphors as descriptors for both characters and certain situations. Choose three similes and three metaphors used in the book. Identify and explain how these metaphors and similes describe the character or event. How are similes and metaphors useful? With what information do these techniques provide the reader? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Each chapter in "The Whipping Boy" has a different title that reflects the events of that specific chapter. Choose three chapter titles and explain how each title is appropriate for that chapter's events. How does the chapter's title tell the reader what might happen without giving too much information? For each chapter chosen, write an alternate chapter that explains the events without providing too much information.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship and interactions between Prince Brat and Jemmy are central to the story. Describe Jemmy and Prince Brat's relationship at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. How does their relationship change, evolve, and grow throughout the course of the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)