|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jemmy look for in his breakfast?
2. What kind of plate is in the basket?
3. What does Jemmy call the prince in Chapter 1?
4. How much does Billy think the prince weighs?
5. Why does Jemmy not cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jemmy sign the ransom note?
2. Why does Billy enjoy eating garlic?
3. What are some of the pranks the prince has played on people at the castle?
4. Why is the prince angry with Jemmy in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Billy hesitate in sending the prince (who he thinks is the whipping boy) to deliver the ransom note?
6. Why does the prince choose Jemmy to join him?
7. What do the cutthroats want from the prince and Jemmy?
8. Why do the outlaws think that Jemmy is really the prince?
9. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
10. What does Jemmy tell the outlaws he is writing in the ransom note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty is an important theme in "The Whipping Boy." Write a response explaining how loyalty is portrayed in the story. What characters are loyal? What characters are not loyal? To what characters is loyalty important? How do a character's loyal actions or betrayals affect the story's plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Prince Brat and Jemmy both discuss their relationships with their fathers. Describe both Prince Brat's and Jemmy's relationships with their fathers. How are the relationships similar? How are the relationships the different? How do these father/son relationships influence the prince and Jemmy? How do the relationships affect the story's plot?
Essay Topic 3
Courage is one of the story's themes. Write a response exploring the idea of courage in the story. What characters embody the idea of courage? How do the characters show courage? How does a character's courage affect the plot? What does it mean to the characters to be courageous? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)