|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Cutwater's chest made?
2. What does the prince refuse to do?
3. How does Jemmy respond to the questioning of the note?
4. Who is Master Peckwith?
5. Why doesn't the prince have any money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
2. How do the outlaws decide who will write the ransom note?
3. What does Jemmy suggest when Billy rejects his first idea of how to deliver the ransom note?
4. Why does Jemmy suggest the outlaws send the crown with the note?
5. What does Cutwater have in his chest?
6. What does the price command Jemmy to do when they are lost?
7. What is the prince carrying in the basket?
8. What is the reasoning for the prince's decision in Chapter 3?
9. Who is the whipping boy?
10. What does the king's crest on the horse's saddle cause the outlaws to think?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage is one of the story's themes. Write a response exploring the idea of courage in the story. What characters embody the idea of courage? How do the characters show courage? How does a character's courage affect the plot? What does it mean to the characters to be courageous? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses multiple similes and metaphors as descriptors for both characters and certain situations. Choose three similes and three metaphors used in the book. Identify and explain how these metaphors and similes describe the character or event. How are similes and metaphors useful? With what information do these techniques provide the reader? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)