|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the prince have any money?
2. What are "creepy things," according to Jemmy?
3. To what kind of bird does Billy compare the boys?
4. What does the prince have in the basket?
5. How thin is Cutwater described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jemmy not want the prince to reveal his identity?
2. Why is the prince angry with Jemmy in Chapter 7?
3. How does the prince react to the breakfast the outlaws offer him?
4. What do the cutthroats want from the prince and Jemmy?
5. What does Jemmy think about when he gets off the horse in the fog?
6. Who is the whipping boy?
7. What does Jemmy tell the outlaws he is writing in the ransom note?
8. Why is the prince known as Prince Brat?
9. Why does the prince appear in Jemmy's room in Chapter 3?
10. How do the outlaws decide to prove the ransom note is real?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is an underlying theme throughout the story. What friendships are present in the story? How do the friendships change as the story progresses? Why do some friendships falter as other friendships grow? What does friendship mean to the main characters in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
"The Whipping Boy" takes place during the medieval times, including elements like castles, kings, princes, and other era-appropriate images in the setting. Write a response explaining the importance of the time period and setting on the story. What elements of the story exist merely because the story takes place during this time period? How is the time period important to the story? How are the various settings important to the story's development?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship and interactions between Prince Brat and Jemmy are central to the story. Describe Jemmy and Prince Brat's relationship at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. How does their relationship change, evolve, and grow throughout the course of the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)