|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jemmy come from?
2. What are "creepy things," according to Jemmy?
3. What kind of pies are in the basket?
4. Where do the boys have to sleep in Chapter 6?
5. With what does Jemmy think the Prince will have him charged?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Billy hesitate in sending the prince (who he thinks is the whipping boy) to deliver the ransom note?
2. What is Cutwater's concern about the ransom note in Chapter 9?
3. Who pulls the prince from the horse and then grabs Jemmy in Chapter 5?
4. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
5. Why is the prince unhappy with Jemmy in Chapter 1?
6. Why does Billy enjoy eating garlic?
7. Why does the prince appear in Jemmy's room in Chapter 3?
8. What does Jemmy think about when he gets off the horse in the fog?
9. Who do the outlaws decide to send with the ransom note?
10. What do the outlaws feed the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jemmy spends his life in the city sewers before he is turned into the prince's whipping boy. Write a response comparing and contrasting Jemmy's two lives. How is his life in the sewers similar to his life in the castle? How are those two parts of his life different? How does one affect or influence the other? How does Jemmy take knowledge from one situation to another? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
"The Whipping Boy" takes place during the medieval times, including elements like castles, kings, princes, and other era-appropriate images in the setting. Write a response explaining the importance of the time period and setting on the story. What elements of the story exist merely because the story takes place during this time period? How is the time period important to the story? How are the various settings important to the story's development?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship and interactions between Prince Brat and Jemmy are central to the story. Describe Jemmy and Prince Brat's relationship at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. How does their relationship change, evolve, and grow throughout the course of the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)