|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prince have in the basket?
2. Where do the boys have to sleep in Chapter 6?
3. How many whacks does the king command in Chapter 1?
4. What is the last thing the cutthroats lift out of the basket?
5. What does the whipping boy learn to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Billy enjoy eating garlic?
2. Why does Jemmy suggest the outlaws send the crown with the note?
3. Why does Jemmy not want the prince to reveal his identity?
4. How do the boys get lost in the forest?
5. How do the outlaws decide who will write the ransom note?
6. Why does the prince choose Jemmy to join him?
7. What happens over the year at the prince's lessons?
8. Why are the outlaws excited to find the prince's crown?
9. What does the outlaws' hut look like?
10. Why does the prince refuse to do his lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols affect the readers' understanding of the plot? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses multiple similes and metaphors as descriptors for both characters and certain situations. Choose three similes and three metaphors used in the book. Identify and explain how these metaphors and similes describe the character or event. How are similes and metaphors useful? With what information do these techniques provide the reader? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 3
The two outlaws, Hold-Your-Nose Billy and Cutwater, are central to the story's plot. Write a response describing the two outlaws in both physical appearance and personality. What effect do the outlaws have on the story? How do the outlaws' personalities affect the other characters in the story? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in your response.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)