|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the prince have in the basket?
2. Where does Jemmy come from?
3. What does Jemmy say the devil has on his shoes?
4. To what is the moon compared in Chapter 3?
5. What does Billy say they are as rough as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the outlaws feed the boys?
2. Why is Jemmy excited to receive a whipping at lessons the first day following the king's feast?
3. What does Cutwater have in his chest?
4. Who is the whipping boy?
5. What does the prince do while Jemmy writes the ransom note?
6. What does Jemmy think about when he gets off the horse in the fog?
7. Who do the outlaws decide to send with the ransom note?
8. How do the boys get lost in the forest?
9. What is the reasoning for the prince's decision in Chapter 3?
10. How do the outlaws decide who will write the ransom note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses multiple similes and metaphors as descriptors for both characters and certain situations. Choose three similes and three metaphors used in the book. Identify and explain how these metaphors and similes describe the character or event. How are similes and metaphors useful? With what information do these techniques provide the reader? Be sure to use specific examples from the story in the response.
Essay Topic 2
"The Whipping Boy" takes place during the medieval times, including elements like castles, kings, princes, and other era-appropriate images in the setting. Write a response explaining the importance of the time period and setting on the story. What elements of the story exist merely because the story takes place during this time period? How is the time period important to the story? How are the various settings important to the story's development?
Essay Topic 3
Prince Brat is a nickname for Prince Horace. Write a response exploring the prince's nickname. Why do people refer to him as Prince Brat? Explain what he does to deserve that nickname. How does the prince react when he learns people call him Prince Brat? How does this nickname affect the prince's character? Be sure to use specific examples in the response.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)