|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This Prime Minister prohibited people from importing spouses, and people could not marry until they were at least _________, which gave women more chance to mature and choose their own destiny (at least this was the theory).
2. After death threats, Hirsi moved to the U.S. for a few years but returned to Europe to do what?
3. Who were the weakest people in the Netherlands?
4. The Social Democrats had gained control of Denmark and Prime Minister _________________ promised he would change immigration policies and invest in a solid integration packet.
5. Western European nations believe that the best way to help the poor is by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hirsi write? Describe this.
2. What happened to Van Gogh? How did others react to this?
3. Describe Avaan Hirsi Ali.
4. Why might it be a problem if Europe wanted to switch to an American style economy?
5. What did Europe think of Arafat?
6. Why does the author believe the U.S. will support Western Europe in protecting its freedom?
7. What happened to London? What was Prime Minister Tony Blair's response? How was Europe affected by this?
8. How are Muslims a problem in schools?
9. What did Hirsi want to do for Muslims?
10. What did Denmark do for its Jews during World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madrid is attacked on March 11, 2004.
Part 1) Describe this attack. What is the initial reaction of Europeans? Why do they react this way? Does this reaction last? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do you believe might have been the cause of these attacks? Why? Are these attacks successful at accomplishing a goal? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this attack compare to 9/11 and other attacks on U.S. embassies?
Essay Topic 2
Krekar was a Mullah and an Iraqi Kurd.
Part 1) Summarize his story. Why is he adored by some and hated by others? What is the cause for these contrasting opinions?
Part 2) What does this attitude towards the Mullah reveal and reinforce about the European people? How does it reinforce the differences between European and American culture?
Part 3) What are your feelings regarding Mullah Krekar? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Multiculturalism has not been successful in Europe.
Part 1) How has Europe attempted multiculturalism? Why has it not been successful at all, according to the author? Could it be successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) Has multiculturalism been successful in the U.S.? Why or why not? What can Europe and the U.S. learn from each other regarding multiculturalism?
Part 3) What can you do in your own community to promote multiculturalism? Explain.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)