|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ is the prime example of what is happening to the west.
2. After World War II, how did Europeans feel over what happened to the Jews?
3. One reason why Europe is so anti-American is because America is a _____________ that has succeeded against their social democracy.
4. What happened to Pim?
5. For ______________ this country fought against intruders.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the establishment's response to the public's dislike of their constitution?
2. Who is Johan Galtung? What are Galtung's beliefs?
3. Why does the author believe the U.S. will support Western Europe in protecting its freedom?
4. Why might it be a problem if Europe wanted to switch to an American style economy?
5. How do Western European nations feel about helping the poor?
6. Why did Baum want to keep up with Dutch issues?
7. What is one reason given by the author for why Europe is so anti America?
8. Who was Pim Fortuyn? What were his beliefs?
9. What happened in Denmark after the 9/11 attacks? How did the Prime Minister deal with this?
10. What happened to London? What was Prime Minister Tony Blair's response? How was Europe affected by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On July 7, 2005, London was attacked.
Part 1) Describe this attack. Why might it have taken place? What is the reaction to this attack? How does this reaction compare to the reaction to the attack in Madrid?
Part 2) What does this attack reveal about Great Britain? What does it reveal about the rest of Europe?
Part 3) Do you believe attacks like this one will continue? Why or why not? If so, what can be done to stop them?
Essay Topic 2
A class is inevitable between the radical Muslims and liberal Europeans.
Part 1) Describe the radical Muslims and liberal Europeans. Why does the narrator believe a clash is inevitable?
Part 2) Have clashes already occurred? If so, when and why? If not, why not? How has the U.S. clashed with radical Muslims? Why?
Part 3) What might this clash do to Europe? How will this clash affect Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Western Europe desperately needs immigrants.
Part 1) Why does it need immigrants? Why does the author believe it going about gaining citizens in the wrong way?
Part 2) What might eventually happen it these types of immigrants continue to enter the continent without any measures of control? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How has the U.S. been affected by immigrants? How are we still affected by immigrants? With what issues does the U.S. deal today regarding immigration? How does the U.S. deal with this issue? Does our country handle this issue well? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)