|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator moved to Norway, he was impressed with what?
2. What is "honor" killing?
3. The United States sees immigrants as assets to be integrated into the culture. How do Europeans view immigrants?
4. Who is vigilant to keep new Muslim immigrants on the Islam "straight and narrow?"
5. Why was the Lindh foundation established?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did many Europeans believe about George Bush?
2. Describe European politicians.
3. Why is the European media so different from the media in the U.S.?
4. What does the author learn is happening to certain writers in the Netherlands? Why is this happening?
5. According to the author, there is a clear difference between American and European thinking. What is this difference?
6. Describe Muslim immigrants.
7. What is the European view of the world?
8. Do Europeans embrace each other's cultures?
9. Why do Europeans want to avoid war? How does this desire affect them?
10. What is a cultural practice among Muslims that would be legally punished if practiced by other groups in European countries? What is Wikan's response to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many cultural differences exist between the Americans and Europeans.
Part 1) Describe four of these differences. How are these differences seen in the cultures of these two areas of the Western world?
Part 2) How do these differences influence their behavior towards those of other cultures and religions? How does this influence their behavior towards each other?
Part 3) How is your culture important to you? How does it influence your beliefs and actions?
Essay Topic 2
Western Europe desperately needs immigrants.
Part 1) Why does it need immigrants? Why does the author believe it going about gaining citizens in the wrong way?
Part 2) What might eventually happen it these types of immigrants continue to enter the continent without any measures of control? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How has the U.S. been affected by immigrants? How are we still affected by immigrants? With what issues does the U.S. deal today regarding immigration? How does the U.S. deal with this issue? Does our country handle this issue well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Olaf Gersemann tried to break the stereotype that Europeans had towards Americans.
Part 1) How does he go about trying to break this? Why does he try to break this stereotype? How does he benefit from ti?
Part 2) Is he successful at breaking the stereotype? Why or why not? What stereotype do Americans have of Europeans? Why?
Part 3) What stereotypes do you witness in your own life? Are these accurate? Why or why not? Can they be broken? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)