|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cultural walls are very high and they don't embrace even each other's pop culture as much as they do ___________ pop culture.
2. Lin Silje Nilson is an historian who supports establishing a sharia court in Norway for what reason?
3. What is "honor" killing?
4. There is a clear difference between American and European _________________.
5. Bawer searched for information about the Islamists in the Netherlands, and found mostly what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what have immigrant Muslims taken advantage?
2. Describe immigration and integration in Europe.
3. Who is Ann Lindh? Describe her work.
4. What is Paris becoming? How does the author support this?
5. Who is Mullah Krekar?
6. Describe European politicians.
7. According to the author, there is a clear difference between American and European thinking. What is this difference?
8. What is a cultural practice among Muslims that would be legally punished if practiced by other groups in European countries? What is Wikan's response to this?
9. Describe Muslim immigrants.
10. What does the author learn is happening to certain writers in the Netherlands? Why is this happening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Western Europe desperately needs immigrants.
Part 1) Why does it need immigrants? Why does the author believe it going about gaining citizens in the wrong way?
Part 2) What might eventually happen it these types of immigrants continue to enter the continent without any measures of control? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How has the U.S. been affected by immigrants? How are we still affected by immigrants? With what issues does the U.S. deal today regarding immigration? How does the U.S. deal with this issue? Does our country handle this issue well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Americans believe in liberty for all.
Part 1) How has the author come to this conclusion? How does this compare to the European opinion of liberty?
Part 2) How does this belief affect the opinions of others towards the U.S.? Explain.
Part 3) How is this belief seen in your own community? How does it influence your daily life?
Essay Topic 3
Johan Galtung is known as the "father of the international peace studies movement."
Part 1) Describe Galtung and his work. How is his work both beneficial and detrimental?
Part 2) What does the author think of him and his work? Why? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 3) Do you believe peace is the only way the liberty America wishes upon everyone can be achieved? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)