|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Dutch government begin to take these isolated incidents seriously?
2. Who is vigilant to keep new Muslim immigrants on the Islam "straight and narrow?"
3. Someone in Norway created an e-mail petition called what?
4. The narrator writes that the European elite is so removed from the realities of international affairs, and so bothered by their irrelevance in them, that they were incapable of what?
5. Europeans see government as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, there is a clear difference between American and European thinking. What is this difference?
2. Why do Europeans want to avoid war? How does this desire affect them?
3. Do Europeans embrace each other's cultures?
4. Of what have immigrant Muslims taken advantage?
5. Describe Muslim immigrants.
6. Who is Ann Lindh? Describe her work.
7. Describe European journalists.
8. What did the narrator encounter in Norway?
9. What is a cultural practice among Muslims that would be legally punished if practiced by other groups in European countries? What is Wikan's response to this?
10. Describe the Norwegian e-mail petition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann Lindh was a Swedish ministers for foreign affairs.
Part 1) For what was she the forerunner? What is beneficial about this? What is detrimental? Why?
Part 2) How does Lindh reflect the view of many Europeans? Why does the author see this as a problem?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on this topic? Is this an issue in the U.S.? Why or why not? What other religious and cultural issues exist in the U.S.?
Essay Topic 2
Many cultural differences exist between the Americans and Europeans.
Part 1) Describe four of these differences. How are these differences seen in the cultures of these two areas of the Western world?
Part 2) How do these differences influence their behavior towards those of other cultures and religions? How does this influence their behavior towards each other?
Part 3) How is your culture important to you? How does it influence your beliefs and actions?
Essay Topic 3
Madrid is attacked on March 11, 2004.
Part 1) Describe this attack. What is the initial reaction of Europeans? Why do they react this way? Does this reaction last? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do you believe might have been the cause of these attacks? Why? Are these attacks successful at accomplishing a goal? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this attack compare to 9/11 and other attacks on U.S. embassies?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)