|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Europeans want to ignore __________ to prevent war.
2. What do journalists believe it is their job to do?
3. Part of the cultural difference between Americans and the Dutch, and other Europeans is that the Europeans tend to be ___________________, compared the the Americans who are more judgmental about differences.
4. Americans are ____________________ about things.
5. The condescending message stated a plethora of random facts and American stereotypes including how Bush "leads a regime," ethnic people are oppressed and humiliated, and that Americans are ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How important is freedom to Americans?
2. How do most Europeans view immigrants? How does this compare to the American view of immigrants?
3. Describe the Norwegian e-mail petition.
4. Why are Europeans wrong in assuming that any immigrants would eventually "melt" into the general culture of the country in which they settle?
5. Of what have immigrant Muslims taken advantage?
6. Describe Muslim immigrants.
7. Why do Europeans want to avoid war? How does this desire affect them?
8. How else does the author say about France and its Muslim population?
9. What is a cultural practice among Muslims that would be legally punished if practiced by other groups in European countries? What is Wikan's response to this?
10. Why is the European media so different from the media in the U.S.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krekar was a Mullah and an Iraqi Kurd.
Part 1) Summarize his story. Why is he adored by some and hated by others? What is the cause for these contrasting opinions?
Part 2) What does this attitude towards the Mullah reveal and reinforce about the European people? How does it reinforce the differences between European and American culture?
Part 3) What are your feelings regarding Mullah Krekar? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
On July 7, 2005, London was attacked.
Part 1) Describe this attack. Why might it have taken place? What is the reaction to this attack? How does this reaction compare to the reaction to the attack in Madrid?
Part 2) What does this attack reveal about Great Britain? What does it reveal about the rest of Europe?
Part 3) Do you believe attacks like this one will continue? Why or why not? If so, what can be done to stop them?
Essay Topic 3
Europeans and Americans do not think the same way.
Part 1) What does the author mean by this? How do Americans think? How do Europeans think? What are possible causes for these differences?
Part 2) How do these different ways of thinking influence the way the country is run and the way people live?
Part 3) What differences of opinion are seen in your own life and community? What accounts for these differences?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)