|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do journalists believe it is their job to do?
2. How many of the 5 million Muslims in France reside in Paris?
3. When this Muslim leader would walk the streets, Norwegians who recognized him did what?
4. Part of the cultural difference between Americans and the Dutch, and other Europeans is that the Europeans tend to be ___________________, compared the the Americans who are more judgmental about differences.
5. European politicians are ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a cultural practice among Muslims that would be legally punished if practiced by other groups in European countries? What is Wikan's response to this?
2. Describe the Norwegian e-mail petition.
3. What did many Europeans believe about George Bush?
4. How do most Europeans view immigrants? How does this compare to the American view of immigrants?
5. Why are Europeans wrong in assuming that any immigrants would eventually "melt" into the general culture of the country in which they settle?
6. How did the narrator react to the attacks on 9/11?
7. Describe the exploitation of the Western welfare states' generosity.
8. Who is Ann Lindh? Describe her work.
9. Why do Europeans want to avoid war? How does this desire affect them?
10. How and why has Europe come to this point regarding their immigrants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Western Europe desperately needs immigrants.
Part 1) Why does it need immigrants? Why does the author believe it going about gaining citizens in the wrong way?
Part 2) What might eventually happen it these types of immigrants continue to enter the continent without any measures of control? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How has the U.S. been affected by immigrants? How are we still affected by immigrants? With what issues does the U.S. deal today regarding immigration? How does the U.S. deal with this issue? Does our country handle this issue well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Madrid is attacked on March 11, 2004.
Part 1) Describe this attack. What is the initial reaction of Europeans? Why do they react this way? Does this reaction last? Why or why not?
Part 2) What do you believe might have been the cause of these attacks? Why? Are these attacks successful at accomplishing a goal? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this attack compare to 9/11 and other attacks on U.S. embassies?
Essay Topic 3
Americans believe in liberty for all.
Part 1) How has the author come to this conclusion? How does this compare to the European opinion of liberty?
Part 2) How does this belief affect the opinions of others towards the U.S.? Explain.
Part 3) How is this belief seen in your own community? How does it influence your daily life?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)