|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A writer named Bat Ye'Or warned that Europe was on its way to becoming what?
(a) A communist regime.
(b) An Arab colony.
(c) A democracy.
(d) A group of socialist countries.
2. He writes that he had never felt more ______________ and being in Europe made him see that America and Europe were the heartland of democracy and both were at war with a common enemy that threatened the West.
3. Why are the younger Muslims an increasing challenge to French society?
(a) They do not see themselves as being subject to French laws.
(b) They want to become full members of French society.
(c) They are uneducated and do not speak French.
(d) They want to return to their native countries.
4. If a job opens up for a doctor or an educator, and a Muslim is exceedingly more qualified than ten of his or her European colleagues, the job will more likely go to whom?
(a) A European.
(b) The Muslim.
(c) A woman.
(d) An American.
5. European politicians are ___________________.
(a) Greatly respected and listened to.
(b) Often not trusted and questioned.
(c) Greatly feared and respected.
(d) Greatly underappreciated.
6. Cultural walls are very high and they don't embrace even each other's pop culture as much as they do ___________ pop culture.
7. Bawer searched for information about the Islamists in the Netherlands, and found mostly what?
(a) Instructions on how these two cultures can live side by side.
(b) Fear about the two cultures living side by side.
(c) Problems with the two cultures living side by side.
(d) Praise about the compatibility of the two cultures living side by side.
8. Why was the Lindh foundation established?
(a) To encourage European schools and universities to offer classes on the Arab world, culture, and languages.
(b) To encourage Europeans to be open-minded about American ideals.
(c) To support anti-Islam actions.
(d) To aid immigrants in adjusting to their new culture.
9. Why is corruption high in Muslim countries?
(a) They do not have morals.
(b) They are very sneaky.
(c) It is in their blood to be corrupt.
(d) They want to grab everything they can before it is gone.
10. What did this Muslim leader call 9/11?
(a) A great disaster.
(b) A surprise.
(c) A gift from God.
(d) A mistake.
11. Why do journalists not argue with this method?
(a) They are often physically threatened.
(b) They do not get paid well.
(c) They see themselves as educators.
(d) They are well-protected by the government.
12. Why did Eastern Europeans support this?
(a) They support decisions made and the ideas of Western Europe.
(b) They do not like Americans.
(c) Their memories of Communism were still vivid and they understood the need to fight for freedom.
(d) They know they need the U.S.'s support.
13. What is the only reason that America cares about the "takeover" of Europe by Islamic fundamentalists?
(a) They are of European descent.
(b) The freedom of the world is at stake.
(c) The symbolic West is being threatened.
(d) They care about Europe.
14. The condescending message stated a plethora of random facts and American stereotypes including how Bush "leads a regime," ethnic people are oppressed and humiliated, and that Americans are ________________.
(a) Prisoners in their own nation.
(b) Uneducated and unintelligent.
(d) Rude and spoiled.
15. The United States sees immigrants as assets to be integrated into the culture. How do Europeans view immigrants?
(a) As assets to the culture.
(b) As upstanding citizens of society.
(c) As charity cases.
(d) As a waste of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. The similarities between Norwegians and the Dutch were ______________ their differences.
2. According to Bawer, do countries such as Norway and Sweden assist new immigrants of non-white race to integrate into communities?
3. Large-scale migration to Europe started around ________ years ago and the European establishment has since "encouraged a romantic view of Muslim immigrants," stating that they are victims and that criticizing them is racist.
4. What are these Muslims called?
5. Americans are ____________________ about things.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)