|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P. when he falls down a dry well?
2. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
3. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
4. Where do the narrator and his girlfriend decide to have Christmas dinner?
5. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
2. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
3. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
4. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
5. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
6. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
7. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
8. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
9. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
10. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the contrasting symbolism of the well and the chimney.
Essay Topic 2
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 3
The themes of both despair and hope figure in "Where I'm Calling From." Is the story ultimately more hopeless or hopeful? Give examples to back up your opinion.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)