|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
2. In what state does the story take place?
3. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
4. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
5. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not give his name?
2. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
3. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
4. Describe the character Tiny.
5. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
6. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
7. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
8. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
9. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
10. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)