|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
2. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
3. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
4. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
5. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the image of rain used in the story?
2. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
3. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
4. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
5. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
6. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
7. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
8. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
9. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
10. How does J.P. treat his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story explores J.P.'s wife's infidelity and his outraged reaction to it. Yet the narrator skims over the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife. What do the two examples of infidelity represent? Is J.P.'s wife's infidelity more noteworthy or unexpected than the narrator's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
Essay Topic 3
Does the narrator love his wife and his girlfriend? How can you tell?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)