|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last line of the story?
2. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
3. On another occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
4. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
5. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
2. Describe the character Frank Martin.
3. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
4. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
5. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
6. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
7. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
8. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
9. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
10. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the narrator love his wife and his girlfriend? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the more reliable storyteller, J.P. or the narrator? Give examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)