Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
2. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
3. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
4. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
5. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
2. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
3. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
4. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
5. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
6. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
7. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
8. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
9. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
10. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
Essay Topic 1
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the contrasting symbolism of the well and the chimney.
Essay Topic 3
Nature imagery is prevalent in "Where I'm Calling From," as seen in frequent physical descriptions of place and climate and in the recurring theme of Jack London and his writing. Why did the author choose to emphasize nature? Could the story have been set in a city and pursued the same themes?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)