|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
2. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
3. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
4. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
5. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
2. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
3. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
4. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
5. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
6. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
7. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
8. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
9. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
10. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author never gives an explanation for why any of the characters drink. How does the story cultivate an understanding of alcoholism? Is it a weakness, a disease, or a combination of things?
Essay Topic 2
Does the narrator love his wife and his girlfriend? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)