|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does J.P. introduce the narrator to his wife?
2. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
3. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
4. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
5. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's landlord.
2. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
3. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
4. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
5. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
6. What does Roxy's name suggest?
7. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
8. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
9. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
10. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story explores J.P.'s wife's infidelity and his outraged reaction to it. Yet the narrator skims over the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife. What do the two examples of infidelity represent? Is J.P.'s wife's infidelity more noteworthy or unexpected than the narrator's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There is no mention of any of the characters in the story having friends outside the facility. What role does community play in the recovery from addiction? Give examples of how the story threads community and friendship into its themes.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the different ways in which eating is used as a metaphor in the story, and what each mention of food or eating signifies.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)