|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
2. After his girlfriend leaves, where does the narrator sit?
3. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
4. When does J.P. officially become a chimney sweep?
5. Why does the narrator say he knows he will see his girlfriend again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
2. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
3. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
4. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
5. Why does the narrator not give his name?
6. How is friendship presented in the story?
7. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
8. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
9. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
10. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)