|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
2. How does J.P. introduce the narrator to his wife?
3. What effect does J.P.'s voice have on the narrator?
4. Where does the narrator watch his girlfriend drive away?
5. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
2. How is the image of rain used in the story?
3. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
4. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
5. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
6. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
7. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
8. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
9. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
10. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 2
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 3
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)