|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
2. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
3. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
4. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
5. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roxy's name suggest?
2. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
3. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
4. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
5. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
6. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
7. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
8. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
9. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
10. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
Essay Topic 1
The author never gives an explanation for why any of the characters drink. How does the story cultivate an understanding of alcoholism? Is it a weakness, a disease, or a combination of things?
Essay Topic 2
Many details in the story are vague, while others are very precise. For example, J.P. is "eighteen or nineteen" when he meets his wife, but he remembers exactly what she is wearing. Explore how the author alternately uses vague and precise details and why.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)