|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
2. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
3. What is the physical appearance of J.P.'s wife, according to the narrator?
4. What nervous movement does J.P. make when he tells his stories?
5. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
2. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
3. Describe the character Frank Martin.
4. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
5. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
6. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
7. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
8. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
9. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
10. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why the author uses so many idiomatic expressions (for example, "batting the breeze," "over the hump")? How does the use of idioms reflect the themes of the story?
Essay Topic 2
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 3
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)