|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advises J.P.'s wife to leave him?
2. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
3. Where does the character that the narrator calls "the guy who travels" say he goes regularly?
4. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
5. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
2. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
3. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
4. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
5. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
6. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
7. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
8. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
9. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
10. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no mention of any of the characters in the story having friends outside the facility. What role does community play in the recovery from addiction? Give examples of how the story threads community and friendship into its themes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)