|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
2. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
3. What is J.P.'s real name?
4. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
5. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
2. What does Roxy's name suggest?
3. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
4. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
5. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
6. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
7. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
8. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
9. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
10. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
Essay Topic 3
The author never gives an explanation for why any of the characters drink. How does the story cultivate an understanding of alcoholism? Is it a weakness, a disease, or a combination of things?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)