|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P.?
2. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
3. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
4. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
5. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
2. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
3. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
4. What does Tiny represent?
5. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
6. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
7. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
8. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
9. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
10. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different ways in which physical vulnerability figures into the story and why.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the more reliable storyteller, J.P. or the narrator? Give examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)