|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do J.P. and his wife go on subsequent dates?
2. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
3. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
4. In what part of the state does the story take place?
5. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
2. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
3. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
4. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
5. What does Roxy's name suggest?
6. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
7. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
8. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
9. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
10. Describe the character Tiny.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator describes J.P. as "first and foremost a drunk. But he's also a chimney sweep." Why does the narrator include both aspects of J.P.'s identity? How does this reflect one of the story's themes?
Essay Topic 2
There is no mention of any of the characters in the story having friends outside the facility. What role does community play in the recovery from addiction? Give examples of how the story threads community and friendship into its themes.
Essay Topic 3
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)