|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last line of the story?
2. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
3. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
4. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
5. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
2. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
3. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
4. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
5. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
6. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
7. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
8. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
9. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
10. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different ways in which physical vulnerability figures into the story and why.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Does the narrator love his wife and his girlfriend? How can you tell?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)