|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
2. What accident does J.P. have at work?
3. Who advises J.P.'s wife to leave him?
4. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
5. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
2. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
3. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
4. Describe the character Tiny.
5. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
6. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
7. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
8. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
9. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
10. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2Discuss the contrasting symbolism of the well and the chimney.
Essay Topic 3Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)