|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
2. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
3. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
4. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
5. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
2. What does Roxy's name suggest?
3. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
4. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
5. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
6. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
7. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
8. How is the image of rain used in the story?
9. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
10. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the narrator love his wife and his girlfriend? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)