|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
2. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
3. What do the patients watch on TV on New Year's Eve?
4. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
5. Where does the character that the narrator calls "the guy who travels" say he goes regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
2. How is friendship presented in the story?
3. What does Roxy's name suggest?
4. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
5. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
6. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
7. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
8. Describe the narrator's landlord.
9. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
10. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the contrasting symbolism of the well and the chimney.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)