|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
2. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
3. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
4. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
5. How old is J.P.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
2. What does Roxy's name suggest?
3. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
4. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
5. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
6. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
7. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
8. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
9. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
10. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)