|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator wake up wanting on New Year's Day?
2. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
3. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
4. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
5. How does the narrator describe his own age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
2. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
3. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
4. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
5. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
6. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
7. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
8. How does J.P. treat his wife?
9. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
10. What does Tiny represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different ways in which physical vulnerability figures into the story and why.
Essay Topic 2
The themes of both despair and hope figure in "Where I'm Calling From." Is the story ultimately more hopeless or hopeful? Give examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)