|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does J.P.'s violent streak first show up?
2. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
3. What did the narrator wake up wanting on New Year's Day?
4. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
5. What is Tiny's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tiny represent?
2. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
3. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
4. What does Roxy's name suggest?
5. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
6. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
7. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
8. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
9. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
10. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator describes J.P. as "first and foremost a drunk. But he's also a chimney sweep." Why does the narrator include both aspects of J.P.'s identity? How does this reflect one of the story's themes?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)