|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
2. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
3. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
4. In what state does the story take place?
5. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
2. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
3. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
4. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
5. How does J.P. treat his wife?
6. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
7. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
8. Describe the character Frank Martin.
9. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
10. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the more reliable storyteller, J.P. or the narrator? Give examples to back up your opinion.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)