|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do for a living?
2. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
3. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
4. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
5. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
2. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
3. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
4. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
5. How is the image of rain used in the story?
6. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
7. How does J.P. treat his wife?
8. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
9. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
10. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
Essay Topic 2
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)