|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
2. Where does the narrator watch his girlfriend drive away?
3. Why does "the guy who travels" say he travels?
4. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
5. What is J.P.'s real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
2. Describe the narrator's landlord.
3. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
4. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
5. What does Roxy's name suggest?
6. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
7. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
8. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
9. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
10. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The story explores J.P.'s wife's infidelity and his outraged reaction to it. Yet the narrator skims over the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife. What do the two examples of infidelity represent? Is J.P.'s wife's infidelity more noteworthy or unexpected than the narrator's? Why or why not?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)