|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frank Martin?
2. Where does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. they can get the book he recommends?
3. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
4. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
5. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
2. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
3. How is the image of rain used in the story?
4. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
5. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
6. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
7. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
8. Why does the narrator not give his name?
9. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
10. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Does the narrator love his wife and his girlfriend? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
The story explores J.P.'s wife's infidelity and his outraged reaction to it. Yet the narrator skims over the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife. What do the two examples of infidelity represent? Is J.P.'s wife's infidelity more noteworthy or unexpected than the narrator's? Why or why not?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)