|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
2. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
3. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
4. On what charge is J.P. arrested?
5. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
2. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
3. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
4. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
5. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
6. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
7. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
8. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
9. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
10. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator describes J.P. as "first and foremost a drunk. But he's also a chimney sweep." Why does the narrator include both aspects of J.P.'s identity? How does this reflect one of the story's themes?
Essay Topic 2
"Where I'm Calling From" was first published more than 25 years ago. If Raymond Carver were writing a story about addiction today, how might it be different?
Essay Topic 3
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,334 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)