|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
2. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
3. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
4. What object is used to rescue J.P. from the well?
5. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
2. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
3. Describe the character Frank Martin.
4. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
5. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
6. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
7. Describe the character Tiny.
8. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
9. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
10. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature imagery is prevalent in "Where I'm Calling From," as seen in frequent physical descriptions of place and climate and in the recurring theme of Jack London and his writing. Why did the author choose to emphasize nature? Could the story have been set in a city and pursued the same themes?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the more reliable storyteller, J.P. or the narrator? Give examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)