|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
2. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
3. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
4. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
5. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roxy's name suggest?
2. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
3. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
4. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
5. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
6. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
7. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
8. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
9. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
10. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author never gives an explanation for why any of the characters drink. How does the story cultivate an understanding of alcoholism? Is it a weakness, a disease, or a combination of things?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the author uses so many idiomatic expressions (for example, "batting the breeze," "over the hump")? How does the use of idioms reflect the themes of the story?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)