|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
2. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
3. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
4. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
5. Where did J.P. grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
2. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
3. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
4. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
5. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
6. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
7. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
8. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
9. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
10. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
Essay Topic 3
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)