|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the proprietor of the facility recommend that patients stay in treatment?
2. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
3. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
4. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
5. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
2. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
3. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
4. Describe the character Tiny.
5. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
6. What does Tiny represent?
7. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
8. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
9. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
10. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why the author uses so many idiomatic expressions (for example, "batting the breeze," "over the hump")? How does the use of idioms reflect the themes of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 3
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)