|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
2. Why does "the guy who travels" say he travels?
3. What is the name of the narrator's landlord?
4. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
5. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
2. How is the image of rain used in the story?
3. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
4. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
5. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
6. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
7. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
8. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
9. Describe the character Frank Martin.
10. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why the author uses so many idiomatic expressions (for example, "batting the breeze," "over the hump")? How does the use of idioms reflect the themes of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Many details in the story are vague, while others are very precise. For example, J.P. is "eighteen or nineteen" when he meets his wife, but he remembers exactly what she is wearing. Explore how the author alternately uses vague and precise details and why.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)