|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
2. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
3. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
4. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
5. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's landlord.
2. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
3. Describe the character Tiny.
4. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
5. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
6. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
7. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
8. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
9. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
10. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different ways in which physical vulnerability figures into the story and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)