|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
2. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
3. What does the title of the story refer to?
4. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
5. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
2. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
3. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
4. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
5. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
6. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
7. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
8. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
9. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
10. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different ways in which physical vulnerability figures into the story and why.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)