|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes blackouts, according to "the guy who travels"?
2. What word does the narrator constantly use to describe his girlfriend's teenager?
3. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
4. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
5. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
2. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
3. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
4. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
5. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
6. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
7. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
8. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
9. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
10. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator describes J.P. as "first and foremost a drunk. But he's also a chimney sweep." Why does the narrator include both aspects of J.P.'s identity? How does this reflect one of the story's themes?
Essay Topic 3
There is no mention of any of the characters in the story having friends outside the facility. What role does community play in the recovery from addiction? Give examples of how the story threads community and friendship into its themes.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)