|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
2. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
3. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
4. What is J.P.'s real name?
5. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
2. Why does the narrator not give his name?
3. What does Roxy's name suggest?
4. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
5. Describe the character Frank Martin.
6. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
7. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
8. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
9. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
10. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Many details in the story are vague, while others are very precise. For example, J.P. is "eighteen or nineteen" when he meets his wife, but he remembers exactly what she is wearing. Explore how the author alternately uses vague and precise details and why.
Essay Topic 3
The story explores J.P.'s wife's infidelity and his outraged reaction to it. Yet the narrator skims over the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife. What do the two examples of infidelity represent? Is J.P.'s wife's infidelity more noteworthy or unexpected than the narrator's? Why or why not?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)