|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does the story take place?
2. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
3. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
4. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
5. What word does the narrator constantly use to describe his girlfriend's teenager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
2. Why does the narrator not give his name?
3. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
4. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
5. What does Tiny represent?
6. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
7. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
8. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
9. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
10. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The themes of both despair and hope figure in "Where I'm Calling From." Is the story ultimately more hopeless or hopeful? Give examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
Essay Topic 3
There is no mention of any of the characters in the story having friends outside the facility. What role does community play in the recovery from addiction? Give examples of how the story threads community and friendship into its themes.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)