|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P.?
2. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
3. What does the proprietor smoke?
4. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
5. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
2. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
3. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
4. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
5. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
6. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
7. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
8. What does Tiny represent?
9. What does Roxy's name suggest?
10. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the more reliable storyteller, J.P. or the narrator? Give examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the character Frank Martin included in the story? Could the story have been told without him, or is he central to the themes?
Essay Topic 3
Many details in the story are vague, while others are very precise. For example, J.P. is "eighteen or nineteen" when he meets his wife, but he remembers exactly what she is wearing. Explore how the author alternately uses vague and precise details and why.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)