|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
2. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
3. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
4. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
5. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
2. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
3. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
4. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
5. Why does the narrator not give his name?
6. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
7. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
8. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
9. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
10. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrasting symbolism of the well and the chimney.
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)