|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
2. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
3. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
4. What accident does J.P. have at work?
5. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
2. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
3. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
4. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
5. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
6. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
7. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
8. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
9. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
10. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how emotional and physical isolation are connected in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How do compassion and forgiveness figure into the story?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator describes J.P. as "first and foremost a drunk. But he's also a chimney sweep." Why does the narrator include both aspects of J.P.'s identity? How does this reflect one of the story's themes?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)