|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frank Martin?
2. What is Tiny's profession?
3. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
4. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
5. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
2. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
3. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
4. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
5. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
6. How is the image of rain used in the story?
7. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
8. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
9. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
10. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
Essay Topic 1
Who is the more reliable storyteller, J.P. or the narrator? Give examples to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personality and outlook of the narrator's wife and J.P.'s wife. How does each react to her husband's alcoholism? Who is the stronger character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why the author uses so many idiomatic expressions (for example, "batting the breeze," "over the hump")? How does the use of idioms reflect the themes of the story?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)