|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On another occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
2. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
3. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
4. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
5. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
2. Why does the narrator not give his name?
3. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
4. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
5. What does Tiny represent?
6. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
7. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
8. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
9. How is the image of rain used in the story?
10. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
Essay Topic 1
The narrator describes J.P. as "first and foremost a drunk. But he's also a chimney sweep." Why does the narrator include both aspects of J.P.'s identity? How does this reflect one of the story's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the different ways in which physical vulnerability figures into the story and why.
Essay Topic 3
There is no mention of any of the characters in the story having friends outside the facility. What role does community play in the recovery from addiction? Give examples of how the story threads community and friendship into its themes.
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)