|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
2. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
3. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
4. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
5. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
2. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
3. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
4. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
5. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
6. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
7. Describe the character Tiny.
8. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
9. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
10. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is no mention of any of the characters in the story having friends outside the facility. What role does community play in the recovery from addiction? Give examples of how the story threads community and friendship into its themes.
Essay Topic 2
Compare how humility and arrogance are used in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The themes of both despair and hope figure in "Where I'm Calling From." Is the story ultimately more hopeless or hopeful? Give examples to back up your opinion.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)