Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
2. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
3. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
4. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
5. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
2. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
3. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
4. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
5. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
6. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
7. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
8. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
9. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
10. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
Essay Topic 1
Will J.P. and the narrator recover from alcoholism? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The story explores J.P.'s wife's infidelity and his outraged reaction to it. Yet the narrator skims over the fact that he was unfaithful to his wife. What do the two examples of infidelity represent? Is J.P.'s wife's infidelity more noteworthy or unexpected than the narrator's? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrasting symbolism of the well and the chimney.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)