|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what part of the state does the story take place?
2. What does the proprietor smoke?
(c) He doesn't smoke.
3. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
(a) Goes to her parents' house.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Fights back.
4. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) His father.
(d) His older brother.
5. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
2. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
3. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
4. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
5. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
2. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
3. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
4. How is friendship presented in the story?
5. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
6. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
7. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
8. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
9. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
10. Why does the narrator not give his name?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)