|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) In the first paragraph.
(b) Toward the middle.
(c) On the first page.
(d) In the final paragraph.
2. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(a) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
3. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
(a) Right before lunch.
(b) After brushing his teeth.
(c) With lunch.
(d) Before brushing his teeth and having his morning coffee.
4. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
5. Whose head is described as "too small for the rest of his body"?
(c) The narrator's landlord.
(d) The proprietor.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does the story take place?
2. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
3. Why does the narrator say he knows he will see his girlfriend again?
4. What does J.P. look like?
5. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
2. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
3. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
4. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
5. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
6. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
7. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
8. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
9. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
10. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)