|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
(a) "Then what?"
(b) "Let me guess..."
(c) "You can stop."
(d) "Is that it?"
2. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
3. What phrase does J.P. use to describe his wife physical appearance when they met?
(a) "A looker."
(b) "Kind of pretty."
(c) "A knockout."
4. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
(a) What the hospital was like.
(b) If he feels better.
(c) If he had any signal before it happened.
(d) If the incident has happened to him before.
5. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
(a) A lid.
(b) A coal bucket.
(c) A tin can.
(d) A coffee mug.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
2. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
3. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
4. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
5. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
2. How does J.P. treat his wife?
3. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
4. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
5. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
6. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
7. What does Roxy's name suggest?
8. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
9. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
10. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)