|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nervous movement does J.P. make when he tells his stories?
(a) Taps his foot.
(b) Pulls his ear.
(c) Pulls on his chin.
(d) Cracks his neck.
2. What is Tiny's profession?
(a) Chimney sweep.
(c) Truck driver.
3. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
4. What story is Tiny telling when the breakfast incident occurs?
(a) About a drinking bout.
(b) About New Year's Eve.
(c) About hunting.
(d) About meeting his wife.
5. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(b) If he stays at least two weeks.
(c) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(d) If he pays in advance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
2. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
3. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
4. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
5. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
2. What does Tiny represent?
3. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
4. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
5. How is friendship presented in the story?
6. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
7. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
8. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
9. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
10. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)