|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and gambling.
(b) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(c) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
2. What does the teenager say when the narrator and his girlfriend are leaving for the facility?
(a) "I'll be gone when you get back."
(b) "Good riddance."
(c) "The hell with you."
(d) "Drive safely."
3. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(b) If he stays at least two weeks.
(c) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(d) If he pays in advance.
4. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
5. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
(a) With lunch.
(b) After brushing his teeth.
(c) Right before lunch.
(d) Before brushing his teeth and having his morning coffee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
2. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
3. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
4. Who advises J.P.'s wife to leave him?
5. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
2. Describe the narrator's landlord.
3. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
4. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
5. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
6. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
7. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
8. What does Roxy's name suggest?
9. How is friendship presented in the story?
10. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)