|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(b) One, and saves one for later.
2. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
(a) Hills and valleys.
(d) Rivers and streams.
3. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A wool coat.
(c) A down vest.
(d) A down jacket.
4. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
5. How are meals announced at the facility?
(a) An attendant tells patients personally.
(b) P.A. system.
(c) Farm bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
2. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
3. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
4. Where does the narrator watch his girlfriend drive away?
5. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
2. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
3. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
4. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
5. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
6. Why does the narrator not give his name?
7. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
8. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
9. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
10. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)