|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what state does the story take place?
(b) New York.
2. What was the short story the narrator read about?
(a) A man freezing.
(b) A man on a sledding trip.
(c) A man in a cabin.
(d) A man on a camping trip.
3. What accident does J.P. have at work?
(a) Falls off a porch.
(b) Chokes on soot.
(c) Gets stuck in a chimney.
(d) Falls off a roof.
4. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
(a) They are trembling badly.
(b) They feel numb.
(c) One of them is broken.
(d) They are cold.
5. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(a) An unnamed patient.
(d) Frank Martin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
2. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
3. What does the proprietor smoke?
4. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
5. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
2. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
3. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
4. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
5. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
6. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
7. Describe the character Tiny.
8. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
9. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
10. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)