|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
(a) A panel truck.
(b) A van.
(c) A jalopy.
(d) A pick-up truck.
2. On what charge is J.P. arrested?
(a) Drunk driving.
(c) Leaving the scene of an accident.
(d) Driving without his license.
3. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
(b) Rivers and streams.
(c) Hills and valleys.
4. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
(b) He arranges to be billed.
(d) Credit card.
5. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
(c) Crying and upset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
2. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
3. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
4. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
5. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Frank Martin.
2. What does Roxy's name suggest?
3. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
4. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
5. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
6. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
7. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
8. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
9. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
10. What does Tiny represent?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)