|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
(a) A year ago.
(b) A few days ago.
(c) A month or two ago.
(d) A couple of weeks ago.
2. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) The day after they meet.
(b) A week after they meet.
(c) The night they meet.
(d) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
3. What is Tiny's profession?
(b) Truck driver.
(d) Chimney sweep.
4. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
(a) If he feels better.
(b) If he had any signal before it happened.
(c) If the incident has happened to him before.
(d) What the hospital was like.
5. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
(a) Les than a week.
(b) Almost a month.
(c) Almost two weeks.
(d) A day or two.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
2. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
3. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
4. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
5. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator not give his name?
2. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
3. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
4. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
5. How is the image of rain used in the story?
6. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
7. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
8. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
9. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
10. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)