|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
(a) They tell him to be quiet.
(b) They laugh and shake their heads.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They interrupt him.
2. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A down vest.
(b) A wool coat.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A down jacket.
3. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
(c) Crying and upset.
4. What does J.P. look like?
(b) Short and heavy-set.
(c) He is not described.
(d) Tall and thin.
5. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(b) Soup and a roll.
(c) He doesn't eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
2. Where does J.P. tell his stories to the narrator?
3. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
4. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
5. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
2. Describe the character Frank Martin.
3. How does J.P. treat his wife?
4. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
5. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
6. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
7. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
8. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
9. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
10. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)