|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
(a) Gold wedding ring.
(b) Long nails.
(c) Big knuckles.
2. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
(a) Alcoholism and drug abuse.
(b) He shot himself.
(d) He was in a plane crash.
3. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
4. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(a) Her brother.
(c) Her father.
5. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) A few days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A few hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
2. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
3. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
4. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
5. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's landlord.
2. What does Tiny represent?
3. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
4. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
5. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
6. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
7. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
8. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
9. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
10. Describe the character Frank Martin.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)