|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
(a) He wet his pants.
(b) He scraped his hands.
(c) He vomited.
(d) He broke his wrist.
2. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
3. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
(a) Old, bald, and needs a shave.
(b) Bald and fat.
(c) Old and decrepit.
(d) Short and bald.
4. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
(a) They are cold.
(b) They are trembling badly.
(c) One of them is broken.
(d) They feel numb.
5. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
2. What is J.P.'s real name?
3. When does J.P. officially become a chimney sweep?
4. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
5. Who brought the narrator to the facility for his first stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
2. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
3. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
4. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
5. How is the image of rain used in the story?
6. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
7. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
8. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
9. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
10. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)