|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
2. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
(a) "Lift his head!"
(b) "Don't move him!"
(c) "Call 911!"
(d) "Give him air!"
3. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) His boss.
(c) His wife.
(d) His landlord.
4. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
(a) Alcoholism and drug abuse.
(b) He shot himself.
(d) He was in a plane crash.
5. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
(a) Frank Martin.
(b) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
2. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
3. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
4. What accident does J.P. have at work?
5. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
2. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
3. Why does the narrator not give his name?
4. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
5. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
6. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
7. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
8. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
9. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
10. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)