|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose head is described as "too small for the rest of his body"?
(c) The proprietor.
(d) The narrator's landlord.
2. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(a) One, and saves one for later.
3. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) He liked the taste.
(b) His wife influenced him.
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) To get drunk faster.
4. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Walks him inside.
(b) Stays to have lunch.
(c) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
(d) Drives off immediately.
5. How long were the narrator and his wife married?
(a) Three years.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
2. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
3. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
4. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
5. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
2. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
3. Why does the narrator not give his name?
4. How is the image of rain used in the story?
5. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
6. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
7. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
8. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
9. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
10. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)