|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) Something the narrator says to J.P.
(b) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
(c) What the narrator's wife asks him.
(d) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
2. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
(c) Red wine.
3. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
(a) The narrator is naked.
(b) The narrator is in boxer shorts.
(c) The landlord is always happy.
(d) The narrator waves to him.
4. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
(a) Playing cards.
(b) Drinking and playing records.
(c) Drinking cheap wine.
(d) Talking to another girl.
5. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls for an ambulance after Tiny's fall?
2. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
3. What is Tiny hoping to drink on New Year's Eve?
4. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
5. Why does the narrator's landlord do the remembered task in the early morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
2. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
3. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
4. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
5. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
6. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
7. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
8. How does J.P. treat his wife?
9. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
10. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)