|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his girlfriend leaves, where does the narrator sit?
(a) In a big chair in the main room.
(b) In his room.
(c) On the staircase.
(d) On the porch.
2. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
(a) Good luck.
(b) New job.
(c) Bad health.
3. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
4. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
(b) Red wine.
5. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
(a) His wife.
(b) His landlord.
(c) His boss.
(d) His girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
2. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
3. What does the proprietor smoke?
4. In what part of the state does the story take place?
5. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
2. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
3. How is the image of rain used in the story?
4. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
5. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
6. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
7. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
8. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
9. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
10. What does Roxy's name suggest?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)