|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) On a drive.
(b) To his room.
(c) On a walk.
(d) To town for lunch.
2. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
3. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
4. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
(a) A month or two ago.
(b) A year ago.
(c) A couple of weeks ago.
(d) A few days ago.
5. What phrase does the narrator use for casually talking with someone?
(a) "Batting the breeze."
(b) "Shooting the breeze."
(c) "Chewing the fat."
(d) "Shooting the bull."
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident does J.P. have at work?
2. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
3. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
4. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
5. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
2. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
3. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
4. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
5. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
6. How is the image of rain used in the story?
7. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
8. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
9. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
10. Describe the character Tiny.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)