|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
(a) Credit card.
(c) He arranges to be billed.
2. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
(a) Absolutely nothing.
(b) To be a fireman.
(c) To go to college.
(d) To join the Navy.
3. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
(a) Fried chicken.
(d) French fries.
4. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
(a) How they got to the facility.
(b) The weather.
(c) The location of the facility.
(d) What they ate for breakfast.
5. What phrase does the narrator use for casually talking with someone?
(a) "Shooting the bull."
(b) "Shooting the breeze."
(c) "Batting the breeze."
(d) "Chewing the fat."
Short Answer Questions
1. When J.P. is out and misses dinner at home, what does he eat?
2. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
3. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
4. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
5. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
2. How does J.P. treat his wife?
3. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
4. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
5. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
6. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
7. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
8. Describe the character Frank Martin.
9. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
10. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)