|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) All of the above.
(c) That it would rain.
(d) That something would fall on him.
2. What weather condition is mentioned frequently in the story?
3. What do the patients watch on TV on New Year's Eve?
(a) Times Square.
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) A game show.
(d) A movie.
4. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he stays at least two weeks.
(b) If he pays in advance.
(c) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(d) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
5. How long were the narrator and his wife married?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) Three years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
2. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
3. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
4. What accident does J.P. have at work?
5. Whose head is described as "too small for the rest of his body"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
2. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
3. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
4. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
5. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
6. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
7. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
8. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
9. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
10. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)