|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and gambling.
(b) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
(c) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
2. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
(a) He vomited.
(b) He scraped his hands.
(c) He broke his wrist.
(d) He wet his pants.
3. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
(a) Crying and upset.
4. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
(a) The Call of the Wild.
(b) Tender Is the Night.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
5. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) A day.
(d) Almost a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
2. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
3. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
4. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
5. Where does the character that the narrator calls "the guy who travels" say he goes regularly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
2. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
3. What does Roxy's name suggest?
4. Describe the character Tiny.
5. What does Tiny represent?
6. How does J.P. treat his wife?
7. Give an example of a character in the story thinking fatalistically.
8. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
9. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
10. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)