|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the narrator's appetite return?
(a) New Year's Eve.
(b) After two days.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) After a week.
2. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
(a) "Lift his head!"
(b) "Call 911!"
(c) "Don't move him!"
(d) "Give him air!"
3. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
(a) His landlord.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) His wife.
(d) His boss.
4. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(b) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
(c) Alcoholism and gambling.
5. What causes blackouts, according to "the guy who travels"?
(a) Whisky with water.
(b) Ice in a drink.
(c) Red wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
2. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
3. Why does the proprietor suggest the narrator stay longer at the facility this time?
4. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
5. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
2. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
3. How is the image of rain used in the story?
4. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
5. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
6. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
7. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
8. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
9. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
10. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)