|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
(c) He doesn't say.
2. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
(b) Sunny and clear.
(c) Ice storm.
3. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
(a) As losers.
(b) As addicts.
(c) As drunks.
(d) As alcoholics.
4. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
(a) What they ate for breakfast.
(b) How they got to the facility.
(c) The location of the facility.
(d) The weather.
5. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
(a) A lid.
(b) A coffee mug.
(c) A coal bucket.
(d) A tin can.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
2. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
3. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
4. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
5. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
2. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
3. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
4. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
5. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
6. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
7. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
8. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
9. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
10. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)