|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) To town for lunch.
(b) On a drive.
(c) To his room.
(d) On a walk.
2. What does J.P. look like?
(a) Tall and thin.
(b) He is not described.
(d) Short and heavy-set.
3. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(a) Yell at each other.
(c) Stare at each other like strangers.
4. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
(a) A pick-up truck.
(b) A panel truck.
(c) A jalopy.
(d) A van.
5. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
(a) All of the above.
(b) That it would rain.
(c) That something would fall on him.
(d) That he would starve to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
2. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
3. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
4. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
5. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
2. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
3. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
4. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
5. What does Roxy's name suggest?
6. Describe the character Tiny.
7. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
8. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
9. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
10. What does Tiny represent?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)