|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
(a) The landlord is always happy.
(b) The narrator waves to him.
(c) The narrator is naked.
(d) The narrator is in boxer shorts.
2. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) Ten years.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Eight years.
3. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
(d) He doesn't say.
4. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(b) Frank Martin.
(c) An unnamed patient.
5. Where did J.P. grow up?
(a) On a farm.
(b) Outside a big city.
(c) In a trailer park.
(d) In a small town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
2. What is the physical appearance of J.P.'s wife, according to the narrator?
3. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
4. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
5. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
2. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
3. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
4. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
5. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
6. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
7. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
8. What does Tiny represent?
9. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
10. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)