|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
2. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
(d) Red wine.
3. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
(a) Alcoholism and drug abuse.
(b) He shot himself.
(c) He was in a plane crash.
4. What is the narrator's first name?
(c) His name is not given.
5. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) The day after they meet.
(b) The night they meet.
(c) A week after they meet.
(d) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather condition is mentioned frequently in the story?
2. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
3. Where do the narrator and his girlfriend decide to have Christmas dinner?
4. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
5. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
2. What does Tiny represent?
3. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
4. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
5. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
6. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
7. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
8. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
9. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
10. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)