|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the girlfriend say to the proprietor when she and the narrator arrive at the facility?
(a) "Guess who's here."
(b) "What a dump."
(c) "Nice place you got here."
(d) "I think you're expecting him."
2. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
(a) Almost a month.
(b) A day or two.
(c) Les than a week.
(d) Almost two weeks.
3. What story is Tiny telling when the breakfast incident occurs?
(a) About hunting.
(b) About meeting his wife.
(c) About a drinking bout.
(d) About New Year's Eve.
4. What is the name of the narrator's landlord?
(a) Mr. Contadini.
(b) Mr. Orsini.
(c) Mr. Venturini.
(d) Mr. Pastorini.
5. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
(c) Red wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
2. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
3. What weather condition is mentioned frequently in the story?
4. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
5. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
2. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
3. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
4. Describe the character Frank Martin.
5. How is the image of rain used in the story?
6. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
7. In the section about the landlord, what does the narrator's nakedness represent?
8. How does J.P. treat his wife?
9. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
10. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)