|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
(a) French fries.
(c) Fried chicken.
2. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
(a) Cloud, birds, insects.
(b) Blue sky, cloud, birds.
(c) Blue sky, insects, trees.
(d) Airplane, cloud, birds.
3. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
4. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
(a) Short and bald.
(b) Old and decrepit.
(c) Old, bald, and needs a shave.
(d) Bald and fat.
5. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(c) Stare at each other like strangers.
(d) Yell at each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator's appetite return?
2. Where does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. they can get the book he recommends?
3. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
4. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
5. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
2. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
3. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
4. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
5. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
6. What does Tiny represent?
7. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
8. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
9. Why does the narrator not give his name?
10. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)