|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
(a) His boss.
(b) His wife.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His landlord.
2. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) On a drive.
(b) To town for lunch.
(c) On a walk.
(d) To his room.
3. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
4. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
5. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
2. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
3. What does the facility serve for New Year's Eve dinner?
4. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
5. What phrase does J.P. use to describe his wife physical appearance when they met?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
2. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
3. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
4. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
5. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
6. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
7. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
8. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
9. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
10. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)