|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) The day after they meet.
(b) A week after they meet.
(c) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
(d) The night they meet.
2. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
3. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(a) He doesn't eat.
(b) Soup and a roll.
4. What accident does J.P. have at work?
(a) Gets stuck in a chimney.
(b) Falls off a porch.
(c) Chokes on soot.
(d) Falls off a roof.
5. What happens to Tiny one day at breakfast?
(a) He has a stroke.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He chokes on his food.
(d) He has a seizure.
Short Answer Questions
1. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
2. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
3. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
4. What kind of New Year's Eve cake is it?
5. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
2. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
3. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
4. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
5. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
6. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
7. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
8. What does Tiny represent?
9. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
10. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)