|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are meals announced at the facility?
(a) An attendant tells patients personally.
(b) P.A. system.
(d) Farm bell.
2. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
(a) Baseball cap.
(b) Skull cap.
3. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
(a) Absolutely nothing.
(b) To go to college.
(c) To be a fireman.
(d) To join the Navy.
4. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
(a) On a business card.
(b) She says it twice.
(c) She writes it on his hand.
(d) On a piece of paper.
5. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
(c) Red wine.
(d) Cheap wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
2. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
3. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
4. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
5. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
2. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
3. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
4. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
5. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
6. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
7. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
8. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
9. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
10. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)