|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
(a) Goes to her parents' house.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Fights back.
2. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
3. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
(a) She has an abnormal Pap smear.
(b) She has a malignant tumor.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She has to have surgery.
4. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
5. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
(b) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(c) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
(d) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
2. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
3. What does the girlfriend say to the proprietor when she and the narrator arrive at the facility?
4. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
5. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
2. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
3. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
4. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
5. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
6. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
7. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
8. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
9. What does Tiny represent?
10. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)