|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
2. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
(a) Tennessee Williams.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Jack London.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
3. Where do the narrator and his girlfriend decide to have Christmas dinner?
(a) The narrator's house.
(b) The girlfriend's apartment.
(c) A steak restaurant.
(d) A diner.
4. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
(a) On stools.
(b) On the porch railing.
(c) On the rungs of their chairs.
(d) On other chairs.
5. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
(a) Gold wedding ring.
(b) Long nails.
(c) Big knuckles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What short story does the narrator mention having read?
2. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
3. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
4. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
5. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
2. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
3. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
4. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
5. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
6. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
7. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
8. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
9. Describe the narrator's landlord.
10. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)