|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When J.P. is out and misses dinner at home, what does he eat?
(a) Fast food.
(b) Salted nuts.
(c) Fried chicken.
(d) Snacks at the bar.
2. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
(a) One son.
(b) A son and a daughter.
(c) Two sons.
(d) One daughter.
3. Who calls for an ambulance after Tiny's fall?
(a) An unnamed patient.
(c) The proprietor.
(d) The narrator.
4. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
5. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) On the first page.
(b) In the first paragraph.
(c) In the final paragraph.
(d) Toward the middle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
2. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
3. After his girlfriend leaves, where does the narrator sit?
4. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
5. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
2. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
3. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
4. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
5. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
6. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
7. Why does the author keep mentioning the coal bucket?
8. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
9. Why does the narrator not give his name?
10. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)