|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
(a) How they got to the facility.
(b) What they ate for breakfast.
(c) The location of the facility.
(d) The weather.
2. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
(a) He caused a commotion on a plane.
(b) He has no idea.
(c) He hit his wife.
(d) He was drunk at work.
3. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) Toward the middle.
(b) On the first page.
(c) In the final paragraph.
(d) In the first paragraph.
4. What was the short story the narrator read about?
(a) A man freezing.
(b) A man on a camping trip.
(c) A man in a cabin.
(d) A man on a sledding trip.
5. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) A few days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A few hours.
(d) One day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
2. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
3. On what charge is J.P. arrested?
4. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
5. Where do J.P. and his wife go on subsequent dates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Tiny.
2. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
3. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
4. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
5. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
6. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
7. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
8. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
9. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
10. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)