|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(d) One, and saves one for later.
2. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
(a) The location of the facility.
(b) The weather.
(c) How they got to the facility.
(d) What they ate for breakfast.
3. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
(a) His wife is coming to visit in the morning.
(b) His wife is coming to visit in a few days.
(c) His wife and children are coming to visit in the morning.
(d) His wife called to say she loves him.
4. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Tennessee Williams.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Jack London.
5. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
(a) Two sons.
(b) One daughter.
(c) One son.
(d) A son and a daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the narrator constantly use to describe his girlfriend's teenager?
2. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
3. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
4. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
5. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
2. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
3. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
4. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
5. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
6. How is friendship presented in the story?
7. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
8. Why did the author choose the title "Where I'm Calling From"?
9. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
10. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)