|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
(a) Big knuckles.
(b) Long nails.
(d) Gold wedding ring.
2. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
(a) At home with his wife.
(b) In Times Square.
(c) At home with his girlfriend.
(d) At a friend's party.
3. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
(c) Skull cap.
(d) Baseball cap.
4. On what charge is J.P. arrested?
(a) Drunk driving.
(c) Leaving the scene of an accident.
(d) Driving without his license.
5. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
(a) Just after lunch.
(d) Eleven in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
2. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
3. Where does the character that the narrator calls "the guy who travels" say he goes regularly?
4. How long does the proprietor of the facility recommend that patients stay in treatment?
5. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
2. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
3. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
4. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
5. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
6. What is the significance of mentioning the razor nicks on J.P.'s and other residents' faces?
7. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
8. How does J.P. treat his wife?
9. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
10. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)