|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tiny's profession?
(b) Truck driver.
(d) Chimney sweep.
2. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
3. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) On the first page.
(b) Toward the middle.
(c) In the final paragraph.
(d) In the first paragraph.
4. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Drives off immediately.
(b) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
(c) Stays to have lunch.
(d) Walks him inside.
5. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
2. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
3. What effect does J.P.'s voice have on the narrator?
4. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
5. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roxy's name suggest?
2. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
3. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
4. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
5. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
6. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
7. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
8. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
9. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
10. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)