|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
(a) Happy New Year - One Day at a Time.
(b) Auld Lang Syne.
(c) Happy Holidays.
(d) Health and Happiness.
2. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
(a) Knit cap.
3. Why does the narrator's landlord do the remembered task in the early morning?
(a) Because he has somewhere else to go.
(b) Before it gets too hot.
(c) Because rain is expected.
(d) He wants to wake the narrator up.
4. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Tender Is the Night.
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(d) The Call of the Wild.
5. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
(a) Tell him a story.
(b) Have coffee.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Shake his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
2. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
3. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
4. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
5. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
2. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
3. What does Roxy's name suggest?
4. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
5. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
6. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
7. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
8. How is friendship presented in the story?
9. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
10. Why does J.P. say the proprietor makes him feel like a "bug"?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)