|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
(a) "Then what?"
(b) "Is that it?"
(c) "Let me guess..."
(d) "You can stop."
2. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
3. What story is Tiny telling when the breakfast incident occurs?
(a) About meeting his wife.
(b) About a drinking bout.
(c) About hunting.
(d) About New Year's Eve.
4. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
(a) A car borrowed from a friend.
(b) The narrator's.
(c) A rental car.
(d) The girlfriend's.
5. In what part of the state does the story take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
2. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
3. On what charge is J.P. arrested?
4. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
5. Who advises J.P.'s wife to leave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
2. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
3. How is the image of cold weather used in the story?
4. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
5. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
6. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
7. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
8. How do the narrator's two trips to the treatment facility differ?
9. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
10. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)