|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
(a) Almost a month.
(b) A day or two.
(c) Almost two weeks.
(d) Les than a week.
2. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
(a) High school.
(b) He doesn't remember when.
(c) When he was married.
3. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
(b) Just after lunch.
(d) Eleven in the morning.
4. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
(a) One daughter.
(b) A son and a daughter.
(c) Two sons.
(d) One son.
5. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
(a) Tender Is the Night.
(b) The Call of the Wild.
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(d) Moby Dick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do J.P. and his wife live?
2. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
3. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
4. What does the title of the story refer to?
5. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
2. Why does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. that Jack London was an alcoholic?
3. What does Tiny represent?
4. Describe the character Frank Martin.
5. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
6. Why does the narrator not give his name?
7. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
8. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
9. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
10. Is the narrator's girlfriend also an alcoholic?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)