|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
2. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
3. When do J.P.'s hands become steady?
(a) At the end of the story.
(b) Right after telling his stories.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) New Year's Eve.
4. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
(a) Health and Happiness.
(b) Auld Lang Syne.
(c) Happy Holidays.
(d) Happy New Year - One Day at a Time.
5. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
(a) That he would starve to death.
(b) That it would rain.
(c) All of the above.
(d) That something would fall on him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
2. What happens to Tiny one day at breakfast?
3. What is Tiny's profession?
4. How are meals announced at the facility?
5. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the narrator intends to say to his girlfriend besides "It's me" when he calls?
2. How does J.P. act when he tells the story about his descent into alcoholism?
3. Why is J.P. drawn to his wife when they meet?
4. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
5. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
6. What does Roxy's name suggest?
7. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
8. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
9. Why don't we learn what the narrator does for a living?
10. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)