|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and gambling.
(c) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(d) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
2. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few days.
3. How old is J.P. when he falls down a dry well?
4. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
(a) They think the food at the facility is good.
(b) They hope they will be hungry.
(c) It gives them something to do.
(d) They feel hungry all the time.
5. When J.P. is out and misses dinner at home, what does he eat?
(a) Snacks at the bar.
(b) Fast food.
(c) Salted nuts.
(d) Fried chicken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
2. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
3. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
4. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
5. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
2. Why does the narrator not give his name?
3. Describe the narrator's landlord.
4. Why is the narrator so enthralled by J.P.'s stories?
5. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
6. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
7. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
8. How does the story show the progression of alcoholism?
9. Discuss how J.P.'s experience as a child in the well mirrors his experience as an adult alcoholic.
10. How is the image of rain used in the story?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)