|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
(b) Crying and upset.
2. What does the facility serve for New Year's Eve dinner?
3. What effect does J.P.'s voice have on the narrator?
(a) Calming and relaxing.
(d) Makes him sleepy.
4. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
(a) His wife called to say she loves him.
(b) His wife is coming to visit in the morning.
(c) His wife is coming to visit in a few days.
(d) His wife and children are coming to visit in the morning.
5. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
(a) High school.
(c) He doesn't remember when.
(d) When he was married.
Short Answer Questions
1. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
2. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
3. How are meals announced at the facility?
4. What does the girlfriend say to the proprietor when she and the narrator arrive at the facility?
5. In what part of the state does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
2. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
3. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
4. What does Tiny represent?
5. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
6. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
7. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
8. How is the image of rain used in the story?
9. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
10. What is the significance of New Year's Eve in the story?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)