|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does J.P.'s voice have on the narrator?
(a) Calming and relaxing.
(b) Makes him sleepy.
2. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
(a) A few days ago.
(b) A year ago.
(c) A month or two ago.
(d) A couple of weeks ago.
3. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
4. Why does the narrator say he knows he will see his girlfriend again?
(a) They work for the same company.
(b) She owes him money.
(c) He has things at her house.
(d) They live together.
5. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
(c) Cheap wine.
(d) Red wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P.?
2. How many children does the narrator have?
3. In what state does the story take place?
4. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
5. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
2. Describe the character Tiny.
3. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
4. Why does the narrator use the term "drunk" instead of "alcoholic"?
5. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
6. Does the narrator believe that "the guy who travels" actually travels?
7. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
8. What does Frank Martin's name suggest?
9. Give one example of a character in the story being self-deprecating.
10. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)