|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
(a) Tell him a story.
(b) Kiss him.
(c) Shake his hand.
(d) Have coffee.
2. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(a) His father.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) His older brother.
3. Where did J.P. grow up?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a small town.
(c) In a trailer park.
(d) Outside a big city.
4. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
(a) With lunch.
(b) After brushing his teeth.
(c) Right before lunch.
(d) Before brushing his teeth and having his morning coffee.
5. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
(a) They interrupt him.
(b) They laugh and shake their heads.
(c) They tell him to be quiet.
(d) They ignore him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
2. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
3. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
4. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
5. What is the narrator's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's landlord.
2. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
3. Why does Tiny stay at the facility?
4. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
5. Why does the narrator not give his name?
6. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
7. Why does the narrator remember the story of the landlord painting?
8. Give an example of a character feeling stigmatized.
9. What is the significance of Christmas in the story?
10. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)