|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
(a) Losing his job.
(b) He doesn't give one.
(c) Marital problems.
(d) Money problems.
2. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
(a) Crying and upset.
3. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
(a) His in-laws.
(b) His wife.
(c) His father.
(d) The police.
4. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
(a) The girlfriend's.
(b) A car borrowed from a friend.
(c) A rental car.
(d) The narrator's.
5. On what charge is J.P. arrested?
(b) Leaving the scene of an accident.
(c) Drunk driving.
(d) Driving without his license.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
2. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
3. What is Tiny's profession?
4. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
5. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
2. How does J.P. treat his wife?
3. Why does the proprietor recommend "The Call of the Wild" to J.P. and the narrator?
4. Why does the narrator want to ask Tiny more about his seizure?
5. What does the narrator's appetite represent?
6. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
7. Give an example of sarcasm in the story.
8. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
9. What is the significance of the way Roxy is dressed on New Year's Day?
10. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)