|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
(a) He likes him immediately.
(b) He thinks he is a loser.
(c) He warns his daughter to "watch out."
(d) He thinks he is immature.
2. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
3. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
4. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
(a) French fries.
(c) Fried chicken.
5. What causes blackouts, according to "the guy who travels"?
(a) Whisky with water.
(b) Red wine.
(d) Ice in a drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. On another occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
2. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
3. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
4. In what state does the story take place?
5. What do J.P. and the narrator do at the end of New Year's Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example of how the image of hills and valleys is used by the author.
2. How is friendship presented in the story?
3. Is the story sympathetic or not sympathetic to alcoholics, and why?
4. Give of an example of how the narrator practices avoidance.
5. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
6. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
7. What does Roxy's name suggest?
8. Why does the narrator not give his name?
9. Why does Roxy say yes to a date with J.P.?
10. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)