|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
(a) All of the above.
(b) That he would starve to death.
(c) That something would fall on him.
(d) That it would rain.
2. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
(a) His wife drove him.
(b) He took the train.
(c) He can't remember.
(d) He drove himself.
3. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
(b) Goes to her parents' house.
(c) Fights back.
(d) Calls the police.
4. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
5. Where do the narrator and his girlfriend decide to have Christmas dinner?
(a) The girlfriend's apartment.
(b) The narrator's house.
(c) A diner.
(d) A steak restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls for an ambulance after Tiny's fall?
2. Which window is the narrator standing in when he is watching the landlord?
3. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
4. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
5. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character Tiny.
2. How does J.P. treat his wife?
3. Give an example of hopelessness in the story.
4. What are the signs that J.P. is making a recovery?
5. Chimney sweeping is an uncommon job. Why would the author choose it?
6. Why does the proprietor get a cake for New Year's Eve?
7. Is Frank Martin an alcoholic?
8. How does the narrator feel about his girlfriend?
9. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
10. Why is the narrator's girlfriend's son "mouthy"?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)