|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
(b) Big knuckles.
(c) Gold wedding ring.
(d) Long nails.
2. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) His father.
(c) His older brother.
3. What does the proprietor smoke?
(a) He doesn't smoke.
4. In what state does the story take place?
(a) New York.
5. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(b) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
(d) Alcoholism and gambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
2. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
3. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
4. What kind of New Year's Eve cake is it?
5. What is the name of the narrator's landlord?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the image of rain used in the story?
2. What does Joe Penny's name suggest?
3. What economic class do you think the narrator is from and why?
4. Give an example of hopefulness in the story.
5. What is the significance of the story of "the guy who travels"?
6. What is the plot of "To Build a Fire," the story the narrator remembers reading?
7. What is the significance of the call the narrator intends to make to his wife at the end of the story?
8. Choose a character and explain why he or she is sympathetic.
9. What is J.P.'s wife a symbol of?
10. Why does the narrator not tell J.P. that he woke up on New Year's Day wanting a drink?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)