|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which window is the narrator standing in when he is watching the landlord?
(d) Living room.
2. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
(a) Wrecks his car.
(b) Cuts her wedding ring to pieces.
(c) Attacks her boyfriend.
(d) Starts a fight in a bar.
3. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
(a) A van.
(b) A panel truck.
(c) A jalopy.
(d) A pick-up truck.
4. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
(a) Punches her in the stomach.
(b) Gives her a black eye.
(c) Breaks her wrist.
(d) Splits her lip.
5. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
6. What causes blackouts, according to "the guy who travels"?
(a) Ice in a drink.
(c) Whisky with water.
(d) Red wine.
7. What does J.P. look like?
(a) Short and heavy-set.
(c) He is not described.
(d) Tall and thin.
8. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) A day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Almost a week.
9. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
10. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
(a) His wife and children are coming to visit in the morning.
(b) His wife is coming to visit in a few days.
(c) His wife called to say she loves him.
(d) His wife is coming to visit in the morning.
11. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
(a) His wife.
(b) His landlord.
(c) His boss.
(d) His girlfriend.
12. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
(a) "Give him air!"
(b) "Don't move him!"
(c) "Call 911!"
(d) "Lift his head!"
13. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
(a) Drinking and playing records.
(b) Talking to another girl.
(c) Drinking cheap wine.
(d) Playing cards.
14. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
(a) Holding Hands.
(b) Cleaning chimneys.
15. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) In the final paragraph.
(b) On the first page.
(c) Toward the middle.
(d) In the first paragraph.
Short Answer Questions
1. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
2. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
3. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
4. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
5. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)