|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Tennessee Williams.
(c) Jack London.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
2. What does the proprietor smoke?
(a) He doesn't smoke.
3. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
(a) A bar.
(b) The movies.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) A fast-food restaurant.
4. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
(a) His father.
(b) The police.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His wife.
5. Who brought the narrator to the facility for his first stay?
(a) His best friend.
(b) He drove himself.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His wife.
6. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
(b) Cleaning chimneys.
(d) Holding Hands.
7. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
(a) A dollar.
(b) A quarter.
(c) A dime.
(d) Fifty cents.
8. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
(a) In Times Square.
(b) At home with his wife.
(c) At home with his girlfriend.
(d) At a friend's party.
9. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
(a) Exactly eighteen.
(c) Eighteen or nineteen.
(d) Exactly nineteen.
10. Who is Frank Martin?
(a) The narrator's boss.
(b) The proprietor of the facility.
(c) Another patient at the facility.
(d) The narrator's friend.
11. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(a) Soup and a roll.
(c) He doesn't eat.
12. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
(a) He wants to tell her he still loves her.
(b) They need to talk about money.
(c) He wants to find out how she is.
(d) He has things at her house that he needs to get.
13. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) His wife influenced him.
(c) To get drunk faster.
(d) He liked the taste.
14. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
(a) Her height.
(b) Her blue eyes.
(c) Her top hat.
(d) Her baseball cap.
15. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tiny hoping to drink on New Year's Eve?
2. What does J.P. look like?
3. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
4. What short story does the narrator mention having read?
5. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)