|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
(a) Eighteen or nineteen.
(c) Exactly eighteen.
(d) Exactly nineteen.
2. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(b) Stare at each other like strangers.
(d) Yell at each other.
3. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A down jacket.
(b) A down vest.
(c) A sweater.
(d) A wool coat.
4. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(b) His older brother.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) His father.
5. Who calls for an ambulance after Tiny's fall?
(a) An unnamed patient.
(b) The narrator.
(d) The proprietor.
6. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
(b) Skull cap.
(c) Baseball cap.
7. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
(a) He wants to tell her he still loves her.
(b) He has things at her house that he needs to get.
(c) He wants to find out how she is.
(d) They need to talk about money.
8. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
(a) The police.
(b) His in-laws.
(c) His father.
(d) His wife.
9. How are meals announced at the facility?
(a) Farm bell.
(c) An attendant tells patients personally.
(d) P.A. system.
10. Which window is the narrator standing in when he is watching the landlord?
(a) Living room.
11. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
(a) Credit card.
(c) He arranges to be billed.
12. Why does "the guy who travels" say he travels?
(c) To get away from his wife.
(d) He is rich.
13. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
(a) In Times Square.
(b) At home with his girlfriend.
(c) At a friend's party.
(d) At home with his wife.
14. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Drives off immediately.
(b) Walks him inside.
(c) Stays to have lunch.
(d) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
15. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
(a) Shake his hand.
(b) Have coffee.
(c) Tell him a story.
(d) Kiss him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
2. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
3. What animal noise does Tiny make when he comes downstairs one morning?
4. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
5. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)