|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
(a) Airplane, cloud, birds.
(b) Blue sky, cloud, birds.
(c) Blue sky, insects, trees.
(d) Cloud, birds, insects.
2. Who calls for an ambulance after Tiny's fall?
(b) An unnamed patient.
(c) The proprietor.
(d) The narrator.
3. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(a) An unnamed patient.
(d) Frank Martin.
4. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Frank Martin.
5. Why does the narrator's landlord do the remembered task in the early morning?
(a) Because rain is expected.
(b) He wants to wake the narrator up.
(c) Because he has somewhere else to go.
(d) Before it gets too hot.
6. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
(b) Just after lunch.
(c) Eleven in the morning.
7. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) In the final paragraph.
(b) Toward the middle.
(c) In the first paragraph.
(d) On the first page.
8. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A down vest.
(c) A wool coat.
(d) A down jacket.
9. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(c) One, and saves one for later.
10. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
11. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
12. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
13. How long does the proprietor of the facility recommend that patients stay in treatment?
(a) At least a month.
(b) A day or two.
(c) At least a week.
(d) At least two months.
14. What is J.P.'s real name?
(a) Jules Penny.
(b) Joe Penny.
(c) Jack Penny.
(d) Jim Penny.
15. In what way does J.P.'s violent streak first show up?
(a) He pushes a customer.
(b) He starts a fight in a bar.
(c) He throws a lunch pail.
(d) He wrecks his car.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do J.P.'s hands become steady?
2. At the beginning of the story, what physical symptom is the narrator having that concerns him?
3. Where does the character that the narrator calls "the guy who travels" say he goes regularly?
4. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
5. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)