|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Frank Martin?
(a) The narrator's boss.
(b) The proprietor of the facility.
(c) The narrator's friend.
(d) Another patient at the facility.
2. What is Tiny's profession?
(a) Truck driver.
(c) Chimney sweep.
3. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
4. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(a) He doesn't eat.
(c) Soup and a roll.
5. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
(a) Right before lunch.
(b) With lunch.
(c) Before brushing his teeth and having his morning coffee.
(d) After brushing his teeth.
6. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
(a) Les than a week.
(b) Almost two weeks.
(c) A day or two.
(d) Almost a month.
7. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(b) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
(c) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
(d) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
8. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
(c) Just after lunch.
(d) Eleven in the morning.
9. In what way does J.P.'s violent streak first show up?
(a) He throws a lunch pail.
(b) He starts a fight in a bar.
(c) He wrecks his car.
(d) He pushes a customer.
10. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
(a) Baseball cap.
(c) Skull cap.
11. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(b) Scotch and soda.
(d) Rum and coke.
12. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
13. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
(a) If the incident has happened to him before.
(b) What the hospital was like.
(c) If he feels better.
(d) If he had any signal before it happened.
14. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
(a) They feel numb.
(b) They are trembling badly.
(c) One of them is broken.
(d) They are cold.
15. What word does the narrator constantly use to describe his girlfriend's teenager?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator's landlord do the remembered task in the early morning?
2. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
3. What was the short story the narrator read about?
4. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
5. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)