|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
(b) What the narrator's wife asks him.
(c) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
(d) Something the narrator says to J.P.
2. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
3. What nervous movement does J.P. make when he tells his stories?
(a) Taps his foot.
(b) Cracks his neck.
(c) Pulls his ear.
(d) Pulls on his chin.
4. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
(a) He scraped his hands.
(b) He vomited.
(c) He broke his wrist.
(d) He wet his pants.
5. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
(a) To be a fireman.
(b) Absolutely nothing.
(c) To join the Navy.
(d) To go to college.
6. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
(a) The narrator waves to him.
(b) The narrator is in boxer shorts.
(c) The narrator is naked.
(d) The landlord is always happy.
7. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
(a) Old and decrepit.
(b) Old, bald, and needs a shave.
(c) Bald and fat.
(d) Short and bald.
8. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
(b) Drying out.
(c) Going cold turkey.
9. What does J.P. look like?
(a) Tall and thin.
(b) He is not described.
(c) Short and heavy-set.
10. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
(b) Sunny and clear.
(d) Ice storm.
11. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
(a) Cleaning chimneys.
(b) Holding Hands.
12. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Eight years.
13. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
(d) He doesn't say.
14. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) Three days.
(b) A day.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) Two days.
15. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
(a) On a piece of paper.
(b) She says it twice.
(c) On a business card.
(d) She writes it on his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
2. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
3. What accident does J.P. have at work?
4. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
5. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)