|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
(a) Marital problems.
(b) Money problems.
(c) Losing his job.
(d) He doesn't give one.
2. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
(a) Skull cap.
(d) Baseball cap.
3. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(c) Soup and a roll.
(d) He doesn't eat.
4. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
5. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
(a) Alcoholism and drug abuse.
(b) He was in a plane crash.
(d) He shot himself.
6. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
(d) Red wine.
7. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
(a) His car is impounded.
(b) He has to pay a fine.
(c) He spends two nights in jail.
(d) He loses his license and can't drive to work.
8. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
(a) "Call 911!"
(b) "Give him air!"
(c) "Don't move him!"
(d) "Lift his head!"
9. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
10. What word does the narrator constantly use to describe his girlfriend's teenager?
11. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
(a) The girlfriend's.
(b) A car borrowed from a friend.
(c) A rental car.
(d) The narrator's.
12. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
(a) All of the above.
(b) That he would starve to death.
(c) That it would rain.
(d) That something would fall on him.
13. Why does the narrator say he knows he will see his girlfriend again?
(a) She owes him money.
(b) They live together.
(c) They work for the same company.
(d) He has things at her house.
14. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(b) Stare at each other like strangers.
(c) Yell at each other.
15. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) Two days.
(b) A day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Almost a week.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
2. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
3. What does the title of the story refer to?
4. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
5. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)