|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
(a) On the porch railing.
(b) On stools.
(c) On the rungs of their chairs.
(d) On other chairs.
2. How are meals announced at the facility?
(b) P.A. system.
(c) Farm bell.
(d) An attendant tells patients personally.
3. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
(c) The narrator can't remember.
4. What do the patients watch on TV on New Year's Eve?
(a) A game show.
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) A movie.
(d) Times Square.
5. What kind of New Year's Eve cake is it?
(a) Chocolate with pink lettering.
(b) White with pink lettering.
(d) German chocolate.
6. What is Tiny hoping to drink on New Year's Eve?
(c) Ginger ale.
(d) Hot chocolate.
7. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
8. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
9. In what way does J.P.'s violent streak first show up?
(a) He starts a fight in a bar.
(b) He throws a lunch pail.
(c) He wrecks his car.
(d) He pushes a customer.
10. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
(a) Attacks her boyfriend.
(b) Wrecks his car.
(c) Starts a fight in a bar.
(d) Cuts her wedding ring to pieces.
11. In what part of the state does the story take place?
12. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
13. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) To his room.
(b) To town for lunch.
(c) On a drive.
(d) On a walk.
14. How old is J.P. when he falls down a dry well?
15. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
(a) At home with his girlfriend.
(b) At home with his wife.
(c) In Times Square.
(d) At a friend's party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
2. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
3. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
4. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
5. How does the narrator describe his own age?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)