|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
(b) The night they meet.
(c) The day after they meet.
(d) A week after they meet.
2. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
(a) Going cold turkey.
(d) Drying out.
3. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
(a) Almost two weeks.
(b) Almost a month.
(c) Les than a week.
(d) A day or two.
4. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
(a) She says it twice.
(b) On a business card.
(c) She writes it on his hand.
(d) On a piece of paper.
5. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
6. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
(a) A coffee mug.
(b) A tin can.
(c) A lid.
(d) A coal bucket.
7. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
(a) He wet his pants.
(b) He scraped his hands.
(c) He broke his wrist.
(d) He vomited.
8. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
9. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
(a) A son and a daughter.
(b) Two sons.
(c) One daughter.
(d) One son.
10. What accident does J.P. have at work?
(a) Falls off a porch.
(b) Gets stuck in a chimney.
(c) Falls off a roof.
(d) Chokes on soot.
11. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
(a) As drunks.
(b) As addicts.
(c) As alcoholics.
(d) As losers.
12. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
(a) At a party.
(b) At a friend's house.
(c) Out with friends.
(d) In a bar.
13. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) One day.
(b) A few days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A few hours.
14. Where on their bodies do many residents at the facility, including J.P., have cuts?
15. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
2. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
3. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
4. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
5. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)