|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) His wife influenced him.
(c) To get drunk faster.
(d) He liked the taste.
2. How does the narrator describe his own age?
(a) A little older than J.P.
(b) Nearing fifty.
(c) A little younger than J.P.
(d) Over forty.
3. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(c) Rum and coke.
(d) Scotch and soda.
4. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
(b) What the narrator's wife asks him.
(c) Something the narrator says to J.P.
(d) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
5. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) Three days.
(b) Almost a week.
(c) Two days.
(d) A day.
6. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
(a) His in-laws.
(b) The police.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
7. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
(b) Hills and valleys.
(d) Rivers and streams.
8. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
(a) Exactly nineteen.
(b) Exactly eighteen.
(c) Eighteen or nineteen.
9. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
(a) Auld Lang Syne.
(b) Happy Holidays.
(c) Happy New Year - One Day at a Time.
(d) Health and Happiness.
10. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
(a) Just after lunch.
(b) Just after breakfast.
(c) Around dinner.
(d) In time for breakfast.
11. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) On a drive.
(b) To town for lunch.
(c) To his room.
(d) On a walk.
12. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Stays to have lunch.
(b) Walks him inside.
(c) Drives off immediately.
(d) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
13. On another occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
(a) Dislocates her shoulder.
(b) Breaks her nose.
(c) Scratches her face.
(d) Breaks her thumb.
14. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
15. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
(a) A fast-food restaurant.
(b) A bar.
(c) A baseball game.
(d) The movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
2. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
3. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
4. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
5. Who brought the narrator to the facility for his first stay?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)