|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(b) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
2. What short story does the narrator mention having read?
(a) "The Snows of Kilimanjaro."
(b) "The Luck of Roaring Camp."
(c) "A Good Man Is Hard to Find."
(d) "To Build a Fire."
3. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
(a) A quarter.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A dollar.
(d) A dime.
4. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(b) One, and saves one for later.
5. Where does the narrator watch his girlfriend drive away?
(a) The window.
(b) The door.
(c) The porch.
(d) The front steps.
6. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Stays to have lunch.
(b) Drives off immediately.
(c) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
(d) Walks him inside.
7. What is the narrator's first name?
(c) His name is not given.
8. What do J.P. and the narrator do at the end of New Year's Eve?
(a) Start to sahke hands, then hug instead.
(c) Shake hands.
(d) Say "One day at a time."
9. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
10. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
(a) What the hospital was like.
(b) If he feels better.
(c) If the incident has happened to him before.
(d) If he had any signal before it happened.
11. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
(a) Blue sky, cloud, birds.
(b) Airplane, cloud, birds.
(c) Blue sky, insects, trees.
(d) Cloud, birds, insects.
12. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
(a) They feel hungry all the time.
(b) They hope they will be hungry.
(c) It gives them something to do.
(d) They think the food at the facility is good.
13. Where does J.P. tell his stories to the narrator?
(a) On a walk.
(b) On the front porch.
(c) On the back porch.
(d) In the dining room.
14. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
(a) Slumps across the table.
(b) Onto the floor while getting up from his chair.
(c) From a seated position in his chair onto the floor.
(d) From a standing position onto the floor.
15. When J.P. is out and misses dinner at home, what does he eat?
(a) Fast food.
(b) Fried chicken.
(c) Salted nuts.
(d) Snacks at the bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P.?
2. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
3. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
4. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
5. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)