|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
2. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
(b) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(c) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
(d) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
4. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) A day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) Two days.
5. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
(b) Ice storm.
(d) Sunny and clear.
6. Who is Frank Martin?
(a) The proprietor of the facility.
(b) The narrator's friend.
(c) Another patient at the facility.
(d) The narrator's boss.
7. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
8. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
9. What do J.P. and the narrator do at the end of New Year's Eve?
(a) Start to sahke hands, then hug instead.
(b) Shake hands.
(c) Say "One day at a time."
10. When does J.P. officially become a chimney sweep?
(a) After he tries some other jobs.
(b) A year after he gets married.
(c) After a few months dating his wife.
(d) Right after he marries his wife.
11. What did the narrator wake up wanting on New Year's Day?
(a) To go home.
(b) To talk to his wife.
(c) Lots of food.
(d) A drink.
12. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
(a) Just after breakfast.
(b) Around dinner.
(c) In time for breakfast.
(d) Just after lunch.
13. What phrase does J.P. use to describe his wife physical appearance when they met?
(a) "A knockout."
(c) "Kind of pretty."
(d) "A looker."
14. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
(a) He doesn't say.
15. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
(b) Holding Hands.
(c) Cleaning chimneys.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
2. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
3. What is Tiny hoping to drink on New Year's Eve?
4. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
5. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)