|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
(a) The movies.
(b) A baseball game.
(c) A bar.
(d) A fast-food restaurant.
2. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
3. Where does the character that the narrator calls "the guy who travels" say he goes regularly?
(d) Europe and other places.
4. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
(a) Blue sky, insects, trees.
(b) Airplane, cloud, birds.
(c) Cloud, birds, insects.
(d) Blue sky, cloud, birds.
5. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
(b) Scotch and soda.
(c) Gin and tonic.
(d) Rum and coke.
6. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(b) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
(d) Alcoholism and gambling.
7. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Drives off immediately.
(b) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
(c) Walks him inside.
(d) Stays to have lunch.
8. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) He liked the taste.
(b) He doesn't know.
(c) To get drunk faster.
(d) His wife influenced him.
9. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
(b) Crying and upset.
10. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
11. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A down vest.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A wool coat.
(d) A down jacket.
12. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
13. Where do J.P. and his wife go on subsequent dates?
(a) Drive-in movies.
14. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(a) Yell at each other.
(b) Stare at each other like strangers.
15. In what part of the state does the story take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
2. After his girlfriend leaves, where does the narrator sit?
3. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
4. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
5. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)