|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
(a) Money problems.
(b) Losing his job.
(c) Marital problems.
(d) He doesn't give one.
2. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
(a) Absolutely nothing.
(b) To go to college.
(c) To join the Navy.
(d) To be a fireman.
3. Whose head is described as "too small for the rest of his body"?
(c) The proprietor.
(d) The narrator's landlord.
4. How does the narrator describe his own age?
(a) Over forty.
(b) A little older than J.P.
(c) Nearing fifty.
(d) A little younger than J.P.
5. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
(a) Fixing a fence.
(b) Painting the house.
(c) Trimming a hedge.
(d) Mowing the lawn.
6. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
(a) Her blue eyes.
(b) Her height.
(c) Her top hat.
(d) Her baseball cap.
7. What is the physical appearance of J.P.'s wife, according to the narrator?
(a) Tall and good-looking.
(b) Tall and slim.
(c) Tall and red-haired.
(d) Tall and blonde.
8. Where does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. they can get the book he recommends?
(a) At a bookstore.
(b) He has a spare copy.
(c) Inside the facility.
(d) At the library.
9. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
(a) She gets angry and says it's nobody's business.
(b) She says she will think about it.
(c) She takes the advice.
(d) She says she got herself into it and she will solve it.
10. How are meals announced at the facility?
(a) An attendant tells patients personally.
(b) Farm bell.
(d) P.A. system.
11. What effect does J.P.'s voice have on the narrator?
(a) Makes him sleepy.
(b) Calming and relaxing.
12. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
(a) What they ate for breakfast.
(b) How they got to the facility.
(c) The location of the facility.
(d) The weather.
13. How long does the proprietor of the facility recommend that patients stay in treatment?
(a) At least a month.
(b) A day or two.
(c) At least a week.
(d) At least two months.
14. How old is J.P. when he falls down a dry well?
15. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
(a) At home with his girlfriend.
(b) In Times Square.
(c) At home with his wife.
(d) At a friend's party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator watch his girlfriend drive away?
2. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
3. Who brought the narrator to the facility for his first stay?
4. When does J.P. officially become a chimney sweep?
5. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)