|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
(b) Eleven in the morning.
(d) Just after lunch.
2. What object is used to rescue J.P. from the well?
(b) Fire truck.
(d) Thick cable.
3. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
(a) From a standing position onto the floor.
(b) Onto the floor while getting up from his chair.
(c) From a seated position in his chair onto the floor.
(d) Slumps across the table.
4. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
(a) Old, bald, and needs a shave.
(b) Short and bald.
(c) Bald and fat.
(d) Old and decrepit.
5. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) In the final paragraph.
(b) Toward the middle.
(c) On the first page.
(d) In the first paragraph.
6. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
7. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) Almost a week.
(b) Two days.
(c) Three days.
(d) A day.
8. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
9. Which window is the narrator standing in when he is watching the landlord?
(c) Living room.
10. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
11. Where does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. they can get the book he recommends?
(a) At a bookstore.
(b) Inside the facility.
(c) At the library.
(d) He has a spare copy.
12. Where do J.P. and his wife go on subsequent dates?
(d) Drive-in movies.
13. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(a) Frank Martin.
(c) An unnamed patient.
14. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
(a) Tell him a story.
(b) Have coffee.
(c) Shake his hand.
(d) Kiss him.
15. What do the patients watch on TV on New Year's Eve?
(a) A movie.
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) A game show.
(d) Times Square.
Short Answer Questions
1. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
2. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
3. What is the last line of the story?
4. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
5. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)