|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has a malignant tumor.
(c) She has an abnormal Pap smear.
(d) She has to have surgery.
2. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
3. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
4. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Ten years.
5. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
(b) What the narrator's wife asks him.
(c) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
(d) Something the narrator says to J.P.
6. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
7. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
(d) Knit cap.
8. How many children does the narrator have?
(b) One daughter.
(d) One son.
9. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) On the first page.
(b) Toward the middle.
(c) In the final paragraph.
(d) In the first paragraph.
10. What phrase does the narrator use for casually talking with someone?
(a) "Shooting the bull."
(b) "Chewing the fat."
(c) "Shooting the breeze."
(d) "Batting the breeze."
11. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
12. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(b) His older brother.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) His father.
13. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
(a) They feel numb.
(b) They are cold.
(c) One of them is broken.
(d) They are trembling badly.
14. What kind of New Year's Eve cake is it?
(a) German chocolate.
(b) Chocolate with pink lettering.
(c) White with pink lettering.
15. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
(a) Fried chicken.
(d) French fries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is J.P.'s real name?
2. Where does the narrator watch his girlfriend drive away?
3. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
4. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
5. Where do the narrator and his girlfriend decide to have Christmas dinner?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)