|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
2. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
(a) Bad health.
(c) Good luck.
(d) New job.
3. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
4. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
(a) A quarter.
(b) Fifty cents.
(c) A dollar.
(d) A dime.
5. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
(a) They feel numb.
(b) They are trembling badly.
(c) They are cold.
(d) One of them is broken.
6. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
(d) The narrator can't remember.
7. What is Tiny hoping to drink on New Year's Eve?
(a) Ginger ale.
(b) Hot chocolate.
8. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
(a) As drunks.
(b) As addicts.
(c) As losers.
(d) As alcoholics.
9. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
(c) The narrator.
(d) Frank Martin.
10. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
(a) When he was married.
(b) High school.
(d) He doesn't remember when.
11. How are meals announced at the facility?
(a) An attendant tells patients personally.
(b) Farm bell.
(d) P.A. system.
12. What does the facility serve for New Year's Eve dinner?
13. Who advises J.P.'s wife to leave him?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father and brother.
(d) Her boss.
14. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
(a) That something would fall on him.
(b) That it would rain.
(c) All of the above.
(d) That he would starve to death.
15. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
(a) A lid.
(b) A coffee mug.
(c) A tin can.
(d) A coal bucket.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
2. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
3. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
4. Where did J.P. grow up?
5. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)