|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
2. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) His wife influenced him.
(c) He liked the taste.
(d) To get drunk faster.
3. What is the narrator's first name?
(d) His name is not given.
4. What does J.P. look like?
(a) He is not described.
(b) Tall and thin.
(c) Short and heavy-set.
5. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
(a) Cuts her wedding ring to pieces.
(b) Wrecks his car.
(c) Starts a fight in a bar.
(d) Attacks her boyfriend.
6. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he stays at least two weeks.
(b) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(c) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(d) If he pays in advance.
7. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) The day after they meet.
(b) A week after they meet.
(c) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
(d) The night they meet.
8. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
(a) After brushing his teeth.
(b) Before brushing his teeth and having his morning coffee.
(c) Right before lunch.
(d) With lunch.
9. When does J.P. officially become a chimney sweep?
(a) After a few months dating his wife.
(b) Right after he marries his wife.
(c) A year after he gets married.
(d) After he tries some other jobs.
10. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
11. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
(a) On the porch railing.
(b) On the rungs of their chairs.
(c) On other chairs.
(d) On stools.
12. Where did J.P. grow up?
(a) In a small town.
(b) On a farm.
(c) In a trailer park.
(d) Outside a big city.
13. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
(a) When he was married.
(c) He doesn't remember when.
(d) High school.
14. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
15. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(b) Yell at each other.
(d) Stare at each other like strangers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
2. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
3. How are meals announced at the facility?
4. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
5. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)