|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tiny hoping to drink on New Year's Eve?
(c) Hot chocolate.
(d) Ginger ale.
2. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) The night they meet.
(b) The day after they meet.
(c) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
(d) A week after they meet.
3. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
(b) Exactly eighteen.
(c) Eighteen or nineteen.
(d) Exactly nineteen.
4. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
(a) He wants to find out how she is.
(b) He has things at her house that he needs to get.
(c) He wants to tell her he still loves her.
(d) They need to talk about money.
5. What is Tiny's profession?
(a) Truck driver.
(c) Chimney sweep.
6. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
(a) Gold wedding ring.
(c) Long nails.
(d) Big knuckles.
7. What was the short story the narrator read about?
(a) A man on a sledding trip.
(b) A man freezing.
(c) A man on a camping trip.
(d) A man in a cabin.
8. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(a) An unnamed patient.
(d) Frank Martin.
9. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
(a) The location of the facility.
(b) What they ate for breakfast.
(c) How they got to the facility.
(d) The weather.
10. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) He liked the taste.
(b) His wife influenced him.
(c) To get drunk faster.
(d) He doesn't know.
11. At the beginning of the story, what physical symptom is the narrator having that concerns him?
(a) Hands trembling.
(b) Leg pain.
(d) Shoulder and neck twitching.
12. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
(a) He doesn't give one.
(b) Marital problems.
(c) Money problems.
(d) Losing his job.
13. What does the girlfriend say to the proprietor when she and the narrator arrive at the facility?
(a) "What a dump."
(b) "Nice place you got here."
(c) "Guess who's here."
(d) "I think you're expecting him."
14. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
15. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
2. What is the last line of the story?
3. What does the narrator do for a living?
4. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
5. What do J.P. and the narrator do at the end of New Year's Eve?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)