|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
(b) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(d) Alcoholism and gambling.
2. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
(a) On stools.
(b) On the porch railing.
(c) On other chairs.
(d) On the rungs of their chairs.
3. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
4. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(b) If he pays in advance.
(c) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(d) If he stays at least two weeks.
5. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
(a) Just after lunch.
(b) Around dinner.
(c) Just after breakfast.
(d) In time for breakfast.
6. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) Tender Is the Night.
(d) The Call of the Wild.
7. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
8. Where do J.P. and his wife go on subsequent dates?
(c) Drive-in movies.
9. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(d) One, and saves one for later.
10. What word does the narrator constantly use to describe his girlfriend's teenager?
11. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
(a) A dollar.
(b) A quarter.
(c) Fifty cents.
(d) A dime.
12. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
13. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
(a) When he was married.
(b) He doesn't remember when.
(d) High school.
14. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
(b) Going cold turkey.
(d) Drying out.
15. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
(b) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(c) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
(d) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long were the narrator and his wife married?
2. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
3. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
4. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
5. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)