|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
(a) Drying out.
(c) Going cold turkey.
2. What does the narrator do for a living?
(b) Construction worker.
(d) He does not say.
3. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
(a) To join the Navy.
(b) To go to college.
(c) Absolutely nothing.
(d) To be a fireman.
4. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
(a) He thinks he is a loser.
(b) He thinks he is immature.
(c) He likes him immediately.
(d) He warns his daughter to "watch out."
5. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
(d) Saudi Arabia.
6. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) He doesn't know.
(b) To get drunk faster.
(c) He liked the taste.
(d) His wife influenced him.
7. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She has to have surgery.
(c) She has an abnormal Pap smear.
(d) She has a malignant tumor.
8. What does a kiss from a chimney sweep supposedly bring?
(a) Bad health.
(c) Good luck.
(d) New job.
9. What did the narrator wake up wanting on New Year's Day?
(a) To go home.
(b) A drink.
(c) To talk to his wife.
(d) Lots of food.
10. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Jack London.
(d) Tennessee Williams.
11. How does the narrator describe his own age?
(a) Over forty.
(b) A little older than J.P.
(c) Nearing fifty.
(d) A little younger than J.P.
12. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
(c) Knit cap.
13. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
14. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
(a) He has no idea.
(b) He hit his wife.
(c) He was drunk at work.
(d) He caused a commotion on a plane.
15. What does J.P. look like?
(b) He is not described.
(c) Short and heavy-set.
(d) Tall and thin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last line of the story?
2. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
3. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
4. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
5. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)