|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
(a) Drinking and playing records.
(b) Talking to another girl.
(c) Drinking cheap wine.
(d) Playing cards.
2. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
(a) Fried chicken.
(d) French fries.
3. Whom does the narrator try to call on New Year's Eve?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) His landlord.
(c) His wife.
(d) His boss.
4. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
(a) The patient who travels.
(d) The narrator.
5. When does J.P. officially become a chimney sweep?
(a) Right after he marries his wife.
(b) A year after he gets married.
(c) After a few months dating his wife.
(d) After he tries some other jobs.
6. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
(a) He drove himself.
(b) He can't remember.
(c) He took the train.
(d) His wife drove him.
7. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
(a) The narrator can't remember.
8. What short story does the narrator mention having read?
(a) "A Good Man Is Hard to Find."
(b) "The Snows of Kilimanjaro."
(c) "To Build a Fire."
(d) "The Luck of Roaring Camp."
9. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
(a) He loses his license and can't drive to work.
(b) He has to pay a fine.
(c) His car is impounded.
(d) He spends two nights in jail.
10. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
(a) Rum and coke.
(b) Scotch and soda.
(d) Gin and tonic.
11. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
12. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
(a) He has things at her house that he needs to get.
(b) He wants to tell her he still loves her.
(c) He wants to find out how she is.
(d) They need to talk about money.
13. Which window is the narrator standing in when he is watching the landlord?
(d) Living room.
14. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One day.
15. Why does "the guy who travels" say he travels?
(a) To get away from his wife.
(c) He is rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say he knows he will see his girlfriend again?
2. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
3. In what part of the state does the story take place?
4. When do J.P.'s hands become steady?
5. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)