|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) Eight years.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twelve years.
2. What day of the week is it when the landlord performs the task that the narrator remembers?
(b) The narrator can't remember.
3. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
(a) She takes the advice.
(b) She says she got herself into it and she will solve it.
(c) She says she will think about it.
(d) She gets angry and says it's nobody's business.
4. Who brought the narrator to the facility for his first stay?
(a) His girlfriend.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His wife.
(d) He drove himself.
5. In what part of the state does the story take place?
6. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(b) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(c) If he pays in advance.
(d) If he stays at least two weeks.
7. What weather condition is mentioned frequently in the story?
8. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
(b) Eleven in the morning.
(d) Just after lunch.
9. How long does the proprietor of the facility recommend that patients stay in treatment?
(a) At least a week.
(b) At least two months.
(c) At least a month.
(d) A day or two.
10. What phrase does the narrator use for casually talking with someone?
(a) "Batting the breeze."
(b) "Shooting the bull."
(c) "Chewing the fat."
(d) "Shooting the breeze."
11. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
(a) Two sons.
(b) One daughter.
(c) A son and a daughter.
(d) One son.
12. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
(a) Wrecks his car.
(b) Cuts her wedding ring to pieces.
(c) Attacks her boyfriend.
(d) Starts a fight in a bar.
13. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
(a) Frank Martin.
(d) The narrator.
14. Where did J.P. grow up?
(a) Outside a big city.
(b) In a trailer park.
(c) In a small town.
(d) On a farm.
15. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
(a) Mowing the lawn.
(b) Painting the house.
(c) Trimming a hedge.
(d) Fixing a fence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
2. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
3. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
4. How does the narrator describe his own age?
5. What is the last line of the story?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)