|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
(a) The Call of the Wild.
(b) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) Moby Dick.
(d) Tender Is the Night.
2. How old is J.P. when he falls down a dry well?
3. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
(a) Rivers and streams.
(d) Hills and valleys.
4. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) The night they meet.
(b) The day after they meet.
(c) A week after they meet.
(d) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
5. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) A few days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A few hours.
(d) One day.
6. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
(a) She writes it on his hand.
(b) On a business card.
(c) She says it twice.
(d) On a piece of paper.
7. Where did J.P. grow up?
(a) Outside a big city.
(b) In a small town.
(c) In a trailer park.
(d) On a farm.
8. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
(a) He caused a commotion on a plane.
(b) He has no idea.
(c) He hit his wife.
(d) He was drunk at work.
9. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
(a) If he feels better.
(b) If he had any signal before it happened.
(c) If the incident has happened to him before.
(d) What the hospital was like.
10. Why does the narrator say he knows he will see his girlfriend again?
(a) He has things at her house.
(b) They work for the same company.
(c) She owes him money.
(d) They live together.
11. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
(a) Out with friends.
(b) At a friend's house.
(c) At a party.
(d) In a bar.
12. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
13. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
(a) Marital problems.
(b) He doesn't give one.
(c) Losing his job.
(d) Money problems.
14. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) A day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) Two days.
15. When do J.P.'s hands become steady?
(a) Right after telling his stories.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) New Year's Eve.
(d) At the end of the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
2. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
3. What accident does J.P. have at work?
4. What phrase does J.P. use to describe his wife physical appearance when they met?
5. What word does J.P. use to describe how the facility's proprietor makes him feel?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)