|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, what physical symptom is the narrator having that concerns him?
(b) Hands trembling.
(c) Shoulder and neck twitching.
(d) Leg pain.
2. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
(a) She has to have surgery.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has an abnormal Pap smear.
(d) She has a malignant tumor.
3. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
(a) Her height.
(b) Her blue eyes.
(c) Her baseball cap.
(d) Her top hat.
4. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
(a) He scraped his hands.
(b) He wet his pants.
(c) He vomited.
(d) He broke his wrist.
5. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) Three days.
(b) A day.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) Two days.
6. What do J.P. and the narrator do at the end of New Year's Eve?
(a) Start to sahke hands, then hug instead.
(c) Shake hands.
(d) Say "One day at a time."
7. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(a) Soup and a roll.
(c) He doesn't eat.
8. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
(a) He took the train.
(b) His wife drove him.
(c) He can't remember.
(d) He drove himself.
9. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
(a) He loses his license and can't drive to work.
(b) He spends two nights in jail.
(c) His car is impounded.
(d) He has to pay a fine.
10. What is J.P.'s real name?
(a) Jim Penny.
(b) Jack Penny.
(c) Joe Penny.
(d) Jules Penny.
11. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
12. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
13. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
(c) Credit card.
(d) He arranges to be billed.
14. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
(a) Breaks her wrist.
(b) Punches her in the stomach.
(c) Gives her a black eye.
(d) Splits her lip.
15. What causes blackouts, according to "the guy who travels"?
(a) Whisky with water.
(c) Red wine.
(d) Ice in a drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his girlfriend leaves, where does the narrator sit?
2. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
3. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
4. What is Tiny's profession?
5. According to "the guy who travels," why is he at the facility?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)