|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term does the narrator use for his treatment?
(c) Going cold turkey.
(d) Drying out.
2. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
(a) He drove himself.
(b) He can't remember.
(c) His wife drove him.
(d) He took the train.
3. What does the narrator do for a living?
(b) Construction worker.
(c) He does not say.
4. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(a) Frank Martin.
(b) An unnamed patient.
5. What does the girlfriend say to the proprietor when she and the narrator arrive at the facility?
(a) "I think you're expecting him."
(b) "What a dump."
(c) "Nice place you got here."
(d) "Guess who's here."
6. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
(a) Drinking cheap wine.
(b) Talking to another girl.
(c) Playing cards.
(d) Drinking and playing records.
7. How does the narrator describe his own age?
(a) Over forty.
(b) Nearing fifty.
(c) A little younger than J.P.
(d) A little older than J.P.
8. How many children does the narrator have?
(a) One son.
(b) One daughter.
9. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
(a) "You can stop."
(b) "Then what?"
(c) "Let me guess..."
(d) "Is that it?"
10. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
11. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
(a) Around dinner.
(b) In time for breakfast.
(c) Just after lunch.
(d) Just after breakfast.
12. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
(b) He arranges to be billed.
(c) Credit card.
13. What is the last line of the story?
(a) "It's me."
(b) "Did I wake you up?"
(c) "Guess who?"
(d) "Happy New Year."
14. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) His wife influenced him.
(b) He liked the taste.
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) To get drunk faster.
15. Who brought the narrator to the facility for his first stay?
(a) He drove himself.
(b) His wife.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
2. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
3. What does the title of the story refer to?
4. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
5. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)