|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
(a) They interrupt him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They tell him to be quiet.
(d) They laugh and shake their heads.
2. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
(a) Jack London.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Tennessee Williams.
3. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he pays in advance.
(b) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(c) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(d) If he stays at least two weeks.
4. On another occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
(a) Breaks her nose.
(b) Dislocates her shoulder.
(c) Scratches her face.
(d) Breaks her thumb.
5. What is the narrator's first name?
(c) His name is not given.
6. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
(a) Onto the floor while getting up from his chair.
(b) From a standing position onto the floor.
(c) Slumps across the table.
(d) From a seated position in his chair onto the floor.
7. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
(a) Attacks her boyfriend.
(b) Wrecks his car.
(c) Starts a fight in a bar.
(d) Cuts her wedding ring to pieces.
8. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
(a) Splits her lip.
(b) Gives her a black eye.
(c) Breaks her wrist.
(d) Punches her in the stomach.
9. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) Out with friends.
(c) At a party.
(d) In a bar.
10. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(a) An unnamed patient.
(d) Frank Martin.
11. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) In the first paragraph.
(b) On the first page.
(c) In the final paragraph.
(d) Toward the middle.
12. What does the narrator ask J.P.'s wife to do?
(a) Tell him a story.
(b) Have coffee.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Shake his hand.
13. At the beginning of the story, what physical symptom is the narrator having that concerns him?
(a) Hands trembling.
(c) Leg pain.
(d) Shoulder and neck twitching.
14. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
(a) She has a malignant tumor.
(b) She has to have surgery.
(c) She has an abnormal Pap smear.
(d) She is pregnant.
15. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
(a) A month or two ago.
(b) A year ago.
(c) A couple of weeks ago.
(d) A few days ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
2. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
3. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
4. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
5. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)