|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few days.
2. How many children does the narrator have?
(a) One daughter.
(b) One son.
3. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They interrupt him.
(c) They tell him to be quiet.
(d) They laugh and shake their heads.
4. What does the facility serve for New Year's Eve dinner?
5. What effect does J.P.'s voice have on the narrator?
(b) Calming and relaxing.
(d) Makes him sleepy.
6. What did the famous writer who lived near the facility die of?
(a) Alcoholism and drug abuse.
(c) He shot himself.
(d) He was in a plane crash.
7. Why does the proprietor suggest the narrator stay longer at the facility this time?
(a) The facility needs money.
(b) The holidays are hard.
(c) The narrator looks bad.
(d) The narrator needs a rest.
8. Who advises J.P.'s wife to leave him?
(a) Her boss.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father and brother.
9. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(b) Rum and coke.
(d) Scotch and soda.
10. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
(a) His car is impounded.
(b) He loses his license and can't drive to work.
(c) He spends two nights in jail.
(d) He has to pay a fine.
11. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
(a) "Is that it?"
(b) "Then what?"
(c) "You can stop."
(d) "Let me guess..."
12. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
13. Where does J.P. tell his stories to the narrator?
(a) On the front porch.
(b) In the dining room.
(c) On a walk.
(d) On the back porch.
14. What time of day is it when J.P. begins telling stories to the narrator?
(a) Eleven in the morning.
(d) Just after lunch.
15. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
(a) Les than a week.
(b) A day or two.
(c) Almost two weeks.
(d) Almost a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
2. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
3. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
4. What is the physical appearance of J.P.'s wife, according to the narrator?
5. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)