|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) Something the narrator says to J.P.
(b) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
(c) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
(d) What the narrator's wife asks him.
2. What is the weather when the narrator and his girlfriend drive to the facility?
(a) Sunny and clear.
(d) Ice storm.
3. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
(a) He thinks he is a loser.
(b) He likes him immediately.
(c) He warns his daughter to "watch out."
(d) He thinks he is immature.
4. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
(a) With lunch.
(b) Before brushing his teeth and having his morning coffee.
(c) Right before lunch.
(d) After brushing his teeth.
5. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
(a) "Give him air!"
(b) "Don't move him!"
(c) "Call 911!"
(d) "Lift his head!"
6. What did the narrator wake up wanting on New Year's Day?
(a) A drink.
(b) Lots of food.
(c) To go home.
(d) To talk to his wife.
7. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
(a) It gives them something to do.
(b) They hope they will be hungry.
(c) They think the food at the facility is good.
(d) They feel hungry all the time.
8. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
(a) In Times Square.
(b) At home with his wife.
(c) At a friend's party.
(d) At home with his girlfriend.
9. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
(a) His wife influenced him.
(b) He doesn't know.
(c) To get drunk faster.
(d) He liked the taste.
10. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
(a) They need to talk about money.
(b) He has things at her house that he needs to get.
(c) He wants to find out how she is.
(d) He wants to tell her he still loves her.
11. How does the narrator describe his own age?
(a) A little younger than J.P.
(b) Over forty.
(c) A little older than J.P.
(d) Nearing fifty.
12. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
13. Who advises J.P.'s wife to leave him?
(a) Her boss.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her father and brother.
(d) Her mother.
14. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(c) Yell at each other.
(d) Stare at each other like strangers.
15. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Eight years.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his girlfriend leaves, where does the narrator sit?
2. How old is J.P. when he falls down a dry well?
3. What is Tiny's profession?
4. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
5. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)