|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
2. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
(b) Something the narrator says to J.P.
(c) What the narrator's wife asks him.
(d) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
3. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
(a) His wife called to say she loves him.
(b) His wife is coming to visit in a few days.
(c) His wife and children are coming to visit in the morning.
(d) His wife is coming to visit in the morning.
4. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
(b) Rivers and streams.
(d) Hills and valleys.
5. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
(a) He thinks he is immature.
(b) He likes him immediately.
(c) He thinks he is a loser.
(d) He warns his daughter to "watch out."
6. Where does J.P. tell his stories to the narrator?
(a) On the front porch.
(b) On the back porch.
(c) On a walk.
(d) In the dining room.
7. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
8. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They laugh and shake their heads.
(c) They tell him to be quiet.
(d) They interrupt him.
9. What does J.P. look like?
(b) Short and heavy-set.
(c) He is not described.
(d) Tall and thin.
10. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
(a) Onto the floor while getting up from his chair.
(b) From a standing position onto the floor.
(c) From a seated position in his chair onto the floor.
(d) Slumps across the table.
11. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A sweater.
(b) A down vest.
(c) A down jacket.
(d) A wool coat.
12. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
13. How does J.P. introduce the narrator to his wife?
(a) As his friend.
(b) As another drunk.
(c) As a good listener.
(d) As another patient.
14. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
(a) She gets angry and says it's nobody's business.
(b) She says she got herself into it and she will solve it.
(c) She takes the advice.
(d) She says she will think about it.
15. What does the narrator do for a living?
(a) He does not say.
(b) Construction worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. When J.P. is out and misses dinner at home, what does he eat?
2. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
3. On another occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
4. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
5. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)