|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
(a) Fixing a fence.
(b) Trimming a hedge.
(c) Painting the house.
(d) Mowing the lawn.
2. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(a) A neighbor.
(b) His older brother.
(d) His father.
3. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
(a) A jalopy.
(b) A panel truck.
(c) A van.
(d) A pick-up truck.
4. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
(a) She writes it on his hand.
(b) She says it twice.
(c) On a business card.
(d) On a piece of paper.
5. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
6. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
7. Where does J.P. tell his stories to the narrator?
(a) On the front porch.
(b) On the back porch.
(c) In the dining room.
(d) On a walk.
8. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and gambling.
(c) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
(d) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
9. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
10. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
(a) Short and bald.
(b) Bald and fat.
(c) Old and decrepit.
(d) Old, bald, and needs a shave.
11. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
12. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
(a) Drinking and playing records.
(b) Drinking cheap wine.
(c) Playing cards.
(d) Talking to another girl.
13. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
(d) Knit cap.
14. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
(a) Jack London.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Tennessee Williams.
15. Who calls for an ambulance after Tiny's fall?
(b) The proprietor.
(c) The narrator.
(d) An unnamed patient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
2. What kind of New Year's Eve cake is it?
3. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
4. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
5. When the narrator meets J.P.'s wife, what does he notice about her hands?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)