|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
2. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
(a) The narrator's.
(b) A rental car.
(c) The girlfriend's.
(d) A car borrowed from a friend.
3. How long were the narrator and his wife married?
(a) Three years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) He doesn't say.
4. What does the proprietor smoke?
(c) He doesn't smoke.
5. When do J.P.'s hands become steady?
(a) At the end of the story.
(b) Right after telling his stories.
(c) New Year's Eve.
(d) New Year's Day.
6. Whose head is described as "too small for the rest of his body"?
(a) The narrator's landlord.
(c) The proprietor.
7. What kind of head covering does the landlord wear?
(b) Baseball cap.
(d) Skull cap.
8. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
(a) "Lift his head!"
(b) "Don't move him!"
(c) "Give him air!"
(d) "Call 911!"
9. Which of the following is J.P.'s wife NOT wearing when she visits?
(b) Knit cap.
10. What is J.P.'s real name?
(a) Joe Penny.
(b) Jack Penny.
(c) Jim Penny.
(d) Jules Penny.
11. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) To town for lunch.
(b) On a drive.
(c) On a walk.
(d) To his room.
12. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
13. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
(b) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(c) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
(d) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
14. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) On the first page.
(b) Toward the middle.
(c) In the first paragraph.
(d) In the final paragraph.
15. What is the first thing the narrator and J.P. talk about when they meet?
(a) The location of the facility.
(b) What they ate for breakfast.
(c) How they got to the facility.
(d) The weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
2. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
3. How old is J.P. when he falls down a dry well?
4. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
5. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)