|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
(a) She says she will think about it.
(b) She says she got herself into it and she will solve it.
(c) She takes the advice.
(d) She gets angry and says it's nobody's business.
2. In what way does J.P.'s violent streak first show up?
(a) He throws a lunch pail.
(b) He pushes a customer.
(c) He starts a fight in a bar.
(d) He wrecks his car.
3. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
(a) From a standing position onto the floor.
(b) Slumps across the table.
(c) Onto the floor while getting up from his chair.
(d) From a seated position in his chair onto the floor.
4. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
(a) In a bar.
(b) At a party.
(c) Out with friends.
(d) At a friend's house.
5. What is J.P.'s real name?
(a) Jack Penny.
(b) Jules Penny.
(c) Jim Penny.
(d) Joe Penny.
6. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
(a) Wet brain.
7. What mixed drink does J.P. eventually switch to?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(b) Rum and coke.
(d) Scotch and soda.
8. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
(a) The patient who travels.
(d) The narrator.
9. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Tennessee Williams.
(d) Jack London.
10. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
11. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
12. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
(a) Cloud, birds, insects.
(b) Blue sky, cloud, birds.
(c) Blue sky, insects, trees.
(d) Airplane, cloud, birds.
13. How old is J.P.'s wife when they meet?
(c) He doesn't say.
14. What is J.P.'s good news on New Year's Eve?
(a) His wife called to say she loves him.
(b) His wife is coming to visit in a few days.
(c) His wife and children are coming to visit in the morning.
(d) His wife is coming to visit in the morning.
15. How are meals announced at the facility?
(a) An attendant tells patients personally.
(c) P.A. system.
(d) Farm bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
2. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
3. What effect does J.P.'s voice have on the narrator?
4. In the story, what is the well a metaphor for?
5. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)