|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was J.P. doing when he met his wife?
(a) Drinking cheap wine.
(b) Drinking and playing records.
(c) Talking to another girl.
(d) Playing cards.
2. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
(a) He has to pay a fine.
(b) His car is impounded.
(c) He loses his license and can't drive to work.
(d) He spends two nights in jail.
3. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
(b) When he was married.
(c) He doesn't remember when.
(d) High school.
4. How does Tiny fall at the beginning of the story?
(a) From a standing position onto the floor.
(b) From a seated position in his chair onto the floor.
(c) Slumps across the table.
(d) Onto the floor while getting up from his chair.
5. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
(a) Her baseball cap.
(b) Her top hat.
(c) Her blue eyes.
(d) Her height.
6. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he pays in advance.
(b) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(c) If he stays at least two weeks.
(d) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
7. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
(a) A bar.
(b) A baseball game.
(c) The movies.
(d) A fast-food restaurant.
8. What does J.P. carry to work in a thermos?
9. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
(a) Exactly eighteen.
(b) Eighteen or nineteen.
(d) Exactly nineteen.
10. Where do J.P. and his wife live?
(a) In a rented apartment.
(b) With his wife's parents.
(c) In a rented house.
(d) In their own home.
11. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Twelve years.
12. What is Tiny's profession?
(a) Chimney sweep.
(d) Truck driver.
13. What happens to Tiny one day at breakfast?
(a) He has a seizure.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He has a stroke.
(d) He chokes on his food.
14. What does the proprietor smoke?
(b) He doesn't smoke.
15. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
(a) Gives her a black eye.
(b) Splits her lip.
(c) Breaks her wrist.
(d) Punches her in the stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did J.P. grow up?
2. What is the earliest in the day that J.P. drinks?
3. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
4. On New Year's Eve, who asks for champagne as a joke?
5. How are meals announced at the facility?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)