|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(b) He doesn't eat.
(d) Soup and a roll.
2. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) A day.
(b) Almost a week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
3. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
4. When J.P. is out and misses dinner at home, what does he eat?
(a) Salted nuts.
(b) Fast food.
(c) Snacks at the bar.
(d) Fried chicken.
5. How does J.P. introduce the narrator to his wife?
(a) As his friend.
(b) As another drunk.
(c) As a good listener.
(d) As another patient.
6. How old is J.P. when he meets his wife?
(a) Exactly nineteen.
(b) Exactly eighteen.
(d) Eighteen or nineteen.
7. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
(a) Blue sky, insects, trees.
(b) Airplane, cloud, birds.
(c) Blue sky, cloud, birds.
(d) Cloud, birds, insects.
8. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
9. What does the teenager say when the narrator and his girlfriend are leaving for the facility?
(a) "The hell with you."
(b) "I'll be gone when you get back."
(c) "Good riddance."
(d) "Drive safely."
10. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(b) His father.
(c) His older brother.
(d) A neighbor.
11. What landscapes are mentioned throughout the story?
(a) Hills and valleys.
(b) Rivers and streams.
12. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
13. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he pays in advance.
(b) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
(c) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(d) If he stays at least two weeks.
14. What state is the girlfriend in when they arrive at the facility?
(b) Crying and upset.
15. Where do J.P. and his wife go on their first date?
(a) A baseball game.
(b) A fast-food restaurant.
(c) The movies.
(d) A bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about J.P.'s wife that "knocks him for a loop" when they first meet?
2. In what state does the story take place?
3. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
4. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
5. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)