|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, what is the chimney a metaphor for?
2. What is the last line of the story?
(a) "Happy New Year."
(b) "It's me."
(c) "Guess who?"
(d) "Did I wake you up?"
3. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
(a) A pick-up truck.
(b) A jalopy.
(c) A panel truck.
(d) A van.
4. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
5. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
(b) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(c) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
(d) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
6. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
7. What does the girlfriend say to the proprietor when she and the narrator arrive at the facility?
(a) "What a dump."
(b) "Nice place you got here."
(c) "I think you're expecting him."
(d) "Guess who's here."
8. How old is J.P.?
(a) About thirty.
9. What do the patients watch on TV on New Year's Eve?
(a) Johnny Carson.
(b) A game show.
(c) Times Square.
(d) A movie.
10. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
11. What phrase does J.P. use to describe his wife physical appearance when they met?
(a) "Kind of pretty."
(c) "A looker."
(d) "A knockout."
12. Who is Frank Martin?
(a) The narrator's friend.
(b) The proprietor of the facility.
(c) Another patient at the facility.
(d) The narrator's boss.
13. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) Twelve years.
14. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
(a) A car borrowed from a friend.
(b) The narrator's.
(c) A rental car.
(d) The girlfriend's.
15. What is the first thing J.P. and his wife do when she arrives at the facility?
(b) Yell at each other.
(c) Stare at each other like strangers.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
2. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
3. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
4. What do J.P. and the narrator do at the end of New Year's Eve?
5. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)