|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does J.P.'s wife's father feel about J.P. when they are dating?
(a) He thinks he is immature.
(b) He warns his daughter to "watch out."
(c) He likes him immediately.
(d) He thinks he is a loser.
2. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
(b) Soup and a roll.
(c) He doesn't eat.
3. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(b) His father.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) His older brother.
4. How many children does the narrator have?
(a) One son.
(b) One daughter.
5. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) Something the narrator says to J.P.
(b) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
(c) What the narrator's wife asks him.
(d) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
6. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
7. What is Tiny's profession?
(b) Chimney sweep.
(c) Truck driver.
8. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
(a) She has an abnormal Pap smear.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She has to have surgery.
(d) She has a malignant tumor.
9. After J.P. gets married, what word does he use to describe how he feels about his life?
10. What is the physical appearance of J.P.'s wife, according to the narrator?
(a) Tall and blonde.
(b) Tall and slim.
(c) Tall and good-looking.
(d) Tall and red-haired.
11. How does the narrator pay for his stay at the facility?
(a) He arranges to be billed.
(c) Credit card.
12. Which window is the narrator standing in when he is watching the landlord?
(a) Living room.
13. How does the narrator describe his own age?
(a) A little older than J.P.
(b) A little younger than J.P.
(c) Over forty.
(d) Nearing fifty.
14. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her brother.
15. What is the narrator's first name?
(b) His name is not given.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
2. What phrase does J.P. use to describe his wife physical appearance when they met?
3. When do J.P.'s hands become steady?
4. What is J.P.'s wife's name?
5. What does J.P. say he wanted to do when he got out of high school?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)