|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last line of the story?
(a) "Guess who?"
(b) "Happy New Year."
(c) "It's me."
(d) "Did I wake you up?"
2. What nickname does J.P. call the narrator?
3. What does the proprietor say to the other men about Tiny after he has fallen?
(a) "Give him air!"
(b) "Lift his head!"
(c) "Call 911!"
(d) "Don't move him!"
4. Why does the narrator say he needs to talk to his wife?
(a) He wants to tell her he still loves her.
(b) He has things at her house that he needs to get.
(c) He wants to find out how she is.
(d) They need to talk about money.
5. What causes blackouts, according to "the guy who travels"?
(a) Whisky with water.
(b) Ice in a drink.
(c) Red wine.
6. How does J.P.'s wife respond to the advice to leave her husband?
(a) She says she got herself into it and she will solve it.
(b) She says she will think about it.
(c) She gets angry and says it's nobody's business.
(d) She takes the advice.
7. Why does the narrator's landlord do the remembered task in the early morning?
(a) Because he has somewhere else to go.
(b) Before it gets too hot.
(c) He wants to wake the narrator up.
(d) Because rain is expected.
8. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and gambling.
(c) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(d) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
9. When does the narrator's appetite return?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) After a week.
(c) After two days.
(d) New Year's Eve.
10. How do the other patients respond when Tiny tells his story at breakfast?
(a) They tell him to be quiet.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They laugh and shake their heads.
(d) They interrupt him.
11. What three things does J.P. remember seeing when he looked up from the bottom of the well?
(a) Airplane, cloud, birds.
(b) Cloud, birds, insects.
(c) Blue sky, insects, trees.
(d) Blue sky, cloud, birds.
12. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
(a) A rental car.
(b) The narrator's.
(c) The girlfriend's.
(d) A car borrowed from a friend.
13. In what part of the state does the story take place?
14. What accident does J.P. have at work?
(a) Chokes on soot.
(b) Falls off a porch.
(c) Gets stuck in a chimney.
(d) Falls off a roof.
15. What does the narrator's girlfriend do for a living?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tiny hoping to be on New Year's Eve?
2. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
3. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
4. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
5. How does J.P.'s wife give him her phone number when he asks her out the first time?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)