|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
(b) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
(c) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(d) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
2. Why does the narrator's landlord do the remembered task in the early morning?
(a) Before it gets too hot.
(b) Because rain is expected.
(c) Because he has somewhere else to go.
(d) He wants to wake the narrator up.
3. Which window is the narrator standing in when he is watching the landlord?
(d) Living room.
4. How old is J.P.?
(c) About thirty.
5. Who is Frank Martin?
(a) The proprietor of the facility.
(b) The narrator's boss.
(c) Another patient at the facility.
(d) The narrator's friend.
6. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) On a walk.
(b) To town for lunch.
(c) On a drive.
(d) To his room.
7. How many times has the narrator been at the facility?
8. How many children do J.P. and his wife have?
9. Where does the character that the narrator calls "the guy who travels" say he goes regularly?
(c) Europe and other places.
10. What weather condition is mentioned frequently in the story?
11. Where does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. they can get the book he recommends?
(a) Inside the facility.
(b) At a bookstore.
(c) At the library.
(d) He has a spare copy.
12. What accident does J.P. have at work?
(a) Chokes on soot.
(b) Falls off a porch.
(c) Gets stuck in a chimney.
(d) Falls off a roof.
13. Who is the very first character mentioned in the story?
(a) Frank Martin.
(d) The narrator.
14. How does the narrator describe his own age?
(a) A little older than J.P.
(b) Nearing fifty.
(c) Over forty.
(d) A little younger than J.P.
15. Where was J.P. when he met his wife?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) At a party.
(c) In a bar.
(d) Out with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the short story the narrator read about?
2. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
3. Why does the narrator's landlord grin when he sees him?
4. What is one thing J.P. worries about when he is in the well?
5. Who does J.P.'s wife say is "the best sweep in the business"?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)