|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of J.P.'s arrest?
(a) He spends two nights in jail.
(b) He loses his license and can't drive to work.
(c) His car is impounded.
(d) He has to pay a fine.
2. What three things does J.P. mention hearing from the bottom of the well?
(a) Birds' wings, a dog barking, and a train whistle.
(b) Birds' wings, a car horn, and a dog barking.
(c) Birds' wings, insects rustling, and the wind.
(d) The wind, a car horn, and birds singing.
3. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
4. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
(a) Wrecks his car.
(b) Starts a fight in a bar.
(c) Attacks her boyfriend.
(d) Cuts her wedding ring to pieces.
5. Where do the narrator and J.P. place their feet while sitting on the porch?
(a) On stools.
(b) On the rungs of their chairs.
(c) On the porch railing.
(d) On other chairs.
6. What health news does the narrator's girlfriend receive on Christmas Eve?
(a) She has to have surgery.
(b) She has a malignant tumor.
(c) She has an abnormal Pap smear.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(a) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(c) Alcoholism and gambling.
(d) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
8. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A wool coat.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A down vest.
(d) A down jacket.
9. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
(a) Goes to her parents' house.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Fights back.
10. What does the facility serve for New Year's Eve dinner?
11. What does the narrator do for a living?
(a) Construction worker.
(c) He does not say.
12. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
(a) In time for breakfast.
(b) Just after lunch.
(c) Just after breakfast.
(d) Around dinner.
13. What happens to Tiny one day at breakfast?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He chokes on his food.
(c) He has a stroke.
(d) He has a seizure.
14. What is the name of the narrator's landlord?
(a) Mr. Pastorini.
(b) Mr. Contadini.
(c) Mr. Orsini.
(d) Mr. Venturini.
15. Who gives his New Year's Eve dinner to the narrator?
(a) An unnamed patient.
(b) Frank Martin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the narrator's memories, what is the landlord doing one morning?
2. How long has Tiny been at the facility?
3. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
4. Why does the narrator's landlord do the remembered task in the early morning?
5. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)