|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tiny's profession?
(a) Chimney sweep.
(c) Truck driver.
2. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
(a) Short and bald.
(b) Old and decrepit.
(c) Old, bald, and needs a shave.
(d) Bald and fat.
3. On the narrator's first stay at the facility, the proprietor tells him that the staff can help him if what happens?
(a) If he pays in advance.
(b) If he stays at least two weeks.
(c) If he agrees to psychotherapy.
(d) If he wants help and listens to what they say.
4. Where do J.P. and his wife live?
(a) In their own home.
(b) With his wife's parents.
(c) In a rented house.
(d) In a rented apartment.
5. What object is used to rescue J.P. from the well?
(a) Fire truck.
(c) Thick cable.
6. How long is Tiny in the hospital after his fall?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) A day.
7. When was the last time the narrator spoke to his wife?
(a) A few days ago.
(b) A month or two ago.
(c) A year ago.
(d) A couple of weeks ago.
8. When J.P. physically fights with his wife, what does she do?
(a) Goes to her parents' house.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Fights back.
9. Where does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. they can get the book he recommends?
(a) Inside the facility.
(b) He has a spare copy.
(c) At the library.
(d) At a bookstore.
10. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
(a) Ten years.
(b) He doesn't say.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Twelve years.
11. What story is Tiny telling when the breakfast incident occurs?
(a) About meeting his wife.
(b) About hunting.
(c) About a drinking bout.
(d) About New Year's Eve.
12. What book does the proprietor recommend to J.P. and the narrator?
(a) Moby Dick.
(b) Tender Is the Night.
(c) The Call of the Wild.
(d) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
13. What does the title of the story refer to?
(a) What the telephone operator asks the narrator.
(b) Something the narrator says to J.P.
(c) What the narrator's wife asks him.
(d) What the narrator says his wife will ask him.
14. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
15. How many children does the narrator have?
(b) One daughter.
(d) One son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
2. Why does the proprietor suggest the narrator stay longer at the facility this time?
3. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
4. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken on the job?
5. What does J.P. say his courtship with his wife mainly revolved around?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)