|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which addictions does the rehabilitation center treat?
(b) Alcoholism and cocaine abuse.
(c) Alcoholism and heroin abuse.
(d) Alcoholism and gambling.
2. What does the narrator want to ask Tiny about what happened to him during breakfast?
(a) If he had any signal before it happened.
(b) If he feels better.
(c) What the hospital was like.
(d) If the incident has happened to him before.
3. What is Tiny's profession?
(a) Truck driver.
(b) Chimney sweep.
4. Who calls for an ambulance after Tiny's fall?
(a) The proprietor.
(c) An unnamed patient.
(d) The narrator.
5. What name does the narrator's wife call him the last time they spoke?
(b) Wet brain.
6. What time of day does Tiny return from the hospital to the facility?
(a) Around dinner.
(b) Just after breakfast.
(c) In time for breakfast.
(d) Just after lunch.
7. On her visit to the facility, where does J.P.'s wife want to go with him?
(a) On a drive.
(b) To town for lunch.
(c) To his room.
(d) On a walk.
8. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Drives off immediately.
(b) Walks him inside.
(c) Stays to have lunch.
(d) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
9. When does the title phrase "Where I'm Calling From" appear in the story?
(a) In the first paragraph.
(b) Toward the middle.
(c) In the final paragraph.
(d) On the first page.
10. What country does "the guy who travels" want to make contacts in?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
11. Why do the narrator and J.P. look forward to meals?
(a) They think the food at the facility is good.
(b) They feel hungry all the time.
(c) It gives them something to do.
(d) They hope they will be hungry.
12. At the beginning of the story, what physical symptom is the narrator having that concerns him?
(a) Hands trembling.
(c) Shoulder and neck twitching.
(d) Leg pain.
13. When the story opens, how long have the narrator and J.P. been at the facility?
(a) One day.
(b) A few days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) A few hours.
14. What is the narrator's first name?
(b) His name is not given.
15. Who rescues J.P. from the well?
(b) A neighbor.
(c) His older brother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
2. When J.P. takes up drinking, what is his drink of choice?
3. Why does J.P. say he switched drinks?
4. How many children does the narrator have?
5. Why does the proprietor suggest the narrator stay longer at the facility this time?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)