|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long were the narrator and his wife married?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) He doesn't say.
(d) Three years.
2. What happens to Tiny one day at breakfast?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He has a stroke.
(c) He chokes on his food.
(d) He has a seizure.
3. What phrase does the narrator use for casually talking with someone?
(a) "Shooting the bull."
(b) "Batting the breeze."
(c) "Shooting the breeze."
(d) "Chewing the fat."
4. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(d) One, and saves one for later.
5. When does J.P. ask his wife on a first date?
(a) The day after they meet.
(b) The night they meet.
(c) He doesn't ask her; she asks him.
(d) A week after they meet.
6. When the narrator and his girlfriend arrive at the facility, what does the girlfriend do?
(a) Stays to have lunch.
(b) Decides to check into a nearby motel.
(c) Walks him inside.
(d) Drives off immediately.
7. According to the narrator, what is J.P.'s emotional state at the beginning of the story?
8. What part of J.P.'s body gets broken in a fight?
9. In what way does J.P.'s violent streak first show up?
(a) He wrecks his car.
(b) He throws a lunch pail.
(c) He starts a fight in a bar.
(d) He pushes a customer.
10. In what state does the story take place?
(c) New York.
11. What phrase does the narrator say whenever J.P. stops telling his story about meeting and dating his wife?
(a) "You can stop."
(b) "Then what?"
(c) "Is that it?"
(d) "Let me guess..."
12. What reason does J.P. give for his starting to drink heavily?
(a) He doesn't give one.
(b) Marital problems.
(c) Losing his job.
(d) Money problems.
13. Who takes J.P. to the treatment facility?
(a) His wife.
(b) The police.
(c) His in-laws.
(d) His father.
14. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
(a) As alcoholics.
(b) As losers.
(c) As addicts.
(d) As drunks.
15. Why does the narrator say he knows he will see his girlfriend again?
(a) They work for the same company.
(b) They live together.
(c) He has things at her house.
(d) She owes him money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is J.P.?
2. What does the narrator eat for Christmas dinner?
3. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
4. What is written on the New Year's Eve cake?
5. What part of J.P.'s body does he say his wife could "set atremble"?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)