|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the proprietor suggest the narrator stay longer at the facility this time?
(a) The holidays are hard.
(b) The narrator looks bad.
(c) The narrator needs a rest.
(d) The facility needs money.
2. What is J.P.'s wife driving the day they meet?
(a) A panel truck.
(b) A van.
(c) A jalopy.
(d) A pick-up truck.
3. What do J.P. and the narrator drink on the porch on the morning of New Year's Day?
4. Where do the narrator and his girlfriend decide to have Christmas dinner?
(a) The narrator's house.
(b) The girlfriend's apartment.
(c) A steak restaurant.
(d) A diner.
5. What does the narrator do for a living?
(b) Construction worker.
(c) He does not say.
6. According to the narrator, what is the physical appearance of his landlord?
(a) Old and decrepit.
(b) Short and bald.
(c) Old, bald, and needs a shave.
(d) Bald and fat.
7. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
(a) They feel numb.
(b) They are cold.
(c) They are trembling badly.
(d) One of them is broken.
8. What term of endearment does the narrator use for his girlfriend?
9. How does the narrator describe himself and others at the facility?
(a) As losers.
(b) As alcoholics.
(c) As drunks.
(d) As addicts.
10. When J.P. discovers his wife's affair, what does he do?
(a) Wrecks his car.
(b) Cuts her wedding ring to pieces.
(c) Starts a fight in a bar.
(d) Attacks her boyfriend.
11. When did the narrator read the short story he mentions?
(a) He doesn't remember when.
(b) High school.
(d) When he was married.
12. What color is J.P.'s wife wearing when they meet?
13. What phrase does the narrator use for casually talking with someone?
(a) "Shooting the bull."
(b) "Shooting the breeze."
(c) "Chewing the fat."
(d) "Batting the breeze."
14. When does the narrator's appetite return?
(a) After a week.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) New Year's Eve.
(d) After two days.
15. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do J.P. and the narrator use for an ashtray?
2. What do J.P. and the narrator do at the end of New Year's Eve?
3. On another occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
4. How much does the narrator's phone call on New Year's Eve cost?
5. On one occasion, how does J.P. physically injure his wife?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)