|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes blackouts, according to "the guy who travels"?
(a) Ice in a drink.
(b) Red wine.
(d) Whisky with water.
2. How are meals announced at the facility?
(b) P.A. system.
(c) An attendant tells patients personally.
(d) Farm bell.
3. How does "the guy who travels" get to the facility?
(a) He took the train.
(b) He can't remember.
(c) He drove himself.
(d) His wife drove him.
4. What is the proprietor wearing when he speaks to J.P. and the narrator on the porch?
(a) A wool coat.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A down jacket.
(d) A down vest.
5. What word does the narrator use for a drink?
6. Where does the narrator watch his girlfriend drive away?
(a) The window.
(b) The front steps.
(c) The door.
(d) The porch.
7. How many children does the narrator's girlfriend have?
(a) One son.
(b) One daughter.
(c) Two sons.
(d) A son and a daughter.
8. In what way does J.P.'s violent streak first show up?
(a) He wrecks his car.
(b) He throws a lunch pail.
(c) He pushes a customer.
(d) He starts a fight in a bar.
9. How long were the narrator and his wife married?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Three years.
(d) He doesn't say.
10. Where does the proprietor tell the narrator and J.P. they can get the book he recommends?
(a) He has a spare copy.
(b) Inside the facility.
(c) At the library.
(d) At a bookstore.
11. When does J.P. officially become a chimney sweep?
(a) A year after he gets married.
(b) After a few months dating his wife.
(c) After he tries some other jobs.
(d) Right after he marries his wife.
12. As he tells his stories, why can J.P. not use his hands?
(a) They are trembling badly.
(b) They feel numb.
(c) One of them is broken.
(d) They are cold.
13. How many pieces of cake does J.P. eat?
(a) One, and saves one for later.
14. What physical thing happens to J.P. in the well?
(a) He broke his wrist.
(b) He scraped his hands.
(c) He vomited.
(d) He wet his pants.
15. On the drive to the facility after dinner, what do the narrator and his girlfriend drink?
(c) Red wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food do the narrator and his girlfriend buy for the trip to the facility?
2. In the story, how long has J.P. been married?
3. Which famous writer once lived near the facility?
4. What does the title of the story refer to?
5. Whose car do the narrator and his girlfriend take to the facility?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)