|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nora return home after visiting her father?
2. Whose company does Jessie value most?
3. How old is Pat and Nora's daughter in 1982?
4. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
5. What is NOT Jack's demeanor when the head of the grain elevator's board visits him in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only thing Jessie can think to do in order to repay the townspeople for Jack's crime?
2. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
3. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
4. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
5. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
6. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
7. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
8. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
9. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
10. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Haruf end the story on a note of hope for the characters, or will they continue to struggle with their relationships and hopes for their lives? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jack Burdette and Pat Arbuckle. As young men, both are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Jack and Pat alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)