|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
2. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
3. What expensive item does Jack buy on credit at a jewelry store in December of 1976?
4. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
5. What is NOT Jack's demeanor when the head of the grain elevator's board visits him in jail?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jack Burdette and Pat Arbuckle. As young men, both are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Jack and Pat alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the flashback technique to tell the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)