|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack order Pat to do?
2. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
3. What items does Jack buy on credit at Schulte's store?
4. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's second son?
5. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
2. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
3. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
4. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
5. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
6. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
7. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
8. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
9. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
10. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Haruf is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)