|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
2. What message does Jessie publish for the townspeople to read?
3. Who is Doyle Francis?
4. How do the townspeople feel when Charlie does not stand trial?
5. What is Nora's demeanor when Pat visits her at her father's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
2. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
3. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
4. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
5. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
6. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
7. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
8. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
9. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
10. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
"Where You Once Belonged" is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)