|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie attempt suicide?
2. What job does Jessie get?
3. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
4. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
5. When does Nora return home after visiting her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
2. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
3. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
4. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
5. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
6. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
7. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
8. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
9. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
10. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the flashback technique to tell the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jack Burdette and Pat Arbuckle. As young men, both are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Jack and Pat alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)