|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the townspeople yell at on the street?
2. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
3. Why do the townspeople center their anger about the theft on the bookkeeper?
4. What is Jessie's father's profession?
5. Whose company does Jessie value most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
2. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
3. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
4. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
5. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
6. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
7. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
8. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
9. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
10. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Jack Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Haruf is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)