|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
2. How does Jessie compare to the definition of a woman they thought Jack would marry?
3. Who do the townspeople yell at on the street?
4. What is notable about Jessie's mother?
5. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
2. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
3. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
4. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
5. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
6. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
7. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
8. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
9. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
10. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe grain elevator. What is its role in the community? Is it typical of businesses in small towns in rural America?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)