|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the townspeople stop taking out their anger on Jessie?
2. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
3. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
4. Who cared for Jessie's mother and siblings?
5. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only thing Jessie can think to do in order to repay the townspeople for Jack's crime?
2. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
3. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
4. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
5. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
6. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
7. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
8. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
9. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
10. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Haruf end the story on a note of hope for the characters, or will they continue to struggle with their relationships and hopes for their lives? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)