|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
2. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
3. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
4. Where does Nora's father live?
5. What happens to Pat and Nora's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
2. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
3. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
4. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
5. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
6. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
7. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
8. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
9. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
10. What is the only thing Jessie can think to do in order to repay the townspeople for Jack's crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jack, Jessie, their sons , Wanda Jo and Pat Arbuckle. Be sure to include work, socialization, marital status, hobbies, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
"Where You Once Belonged" is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)