|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
2. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
3. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
4. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
5. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
2. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
3. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
4. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
5. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
6. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
7. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
8. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
9. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
10. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Jessie Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jack, Jessie, their sons , Wanda Jo and Pat Arbuckle. Be sure to include work, socialization, marital status, hobbies, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)