|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Jessie get?
2. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
3. What is notable about Jessie's third birth?
4. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
5. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
2. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
3. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
4. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
5. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
6. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
7. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
8. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
9. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
10. What is the only thing Jessie can think to do in order to repay the townspeople for Jack's crime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Jessie Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Jack Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)