|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's second son?
2. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
3. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
4. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
5. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
2. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
3. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
4. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
5. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
6. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
7. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
8. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
9. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
10. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have that women in prior times did not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is an important theme in "Where You Once Belonged". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)