|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nora's father live?
2. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
3. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
4. What do most of the townspeople have in common?
5. What does Jack refuse to talk to Pat about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
2. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
3. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
4. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
5. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
6. What is the only thing Jessie can think to do in order to repay the townspeople for Jack's crime?
7. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
8. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
9. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
10. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "Where You Once Belonged". Why did the author choose the setting that he did? What time period does the story cover? How do these things impact a story?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)