|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Doyle Francis?
2. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's second son?
3. How do the townspeople feel when Charlie does not stand trial?
4. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
5. Where is Jessie working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
2. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
3. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
4. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
5. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
6. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
7. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
8. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
9. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
10. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Do a brief character sketch of Jack Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)