|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Pat and Nora's daughter?
2. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
3. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
4. What does Jack refuse to talk to Pat about?
5. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
2. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
3. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
4. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
5. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
6. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
7. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
8. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
9. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
10. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Do a brief character sketch of Jack Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)