|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about Jessie's third birth?
2. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
3. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
4. Which of the following do Pat, Jessie and her boys NOT do on an excursion to Denver?
5. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
2. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
3. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
4. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
5. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
6. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
7. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
8. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
9. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
10. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Haruf is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)