|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
2. What is Nora's demeanor when Pat visits her at her father's house?
3. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
4. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
5. What do most of the townspeople have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
2. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
3. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
4. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
5. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
6. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
7. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
8. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
9. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
10. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Haruf end the story on a note of hope for the characters, or will they continue to struggle with their relationships and hopes for their lives? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
"Where You Once Belonged" is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)