|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident does Jessie suffer?
2. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
3. What does Jack refuse to talk to Pat about?
4. Who is Doyle Francis?
5. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
2. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
3. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
4. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
5. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
6. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
7. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
8. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
9. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
10. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Where You Once Belonged" is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)