|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sheriff doing when he gets a call about Jack Burdette?
2. Who photographed the accident site where Jack's father was killed?
3. Jack's room became a meeting place for _____________________.
4. Where does Jack live after he moves out of his mother's house?
5. What is the name of Pat's little girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the novel?
2. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
3. Who is the author of "Where You Once Belonged" and what is known about him?
4. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
5. How could Jack be characterized as a kid and what were the circumstances of his school years?
6. How was Jack's father killed?
7. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
8. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
9. What information does the author reveal about Jack Burdette at the beginning of the novel?
10. What is revealed about Jack's parentage when the author uses a flashback in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
"Where You Once Belonged" is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Haruf is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)