|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is the college in #60 located?
2. Why did Jack become a hero in Holt?
3. Why does Jack move out of his mother's house?
4. What did the girl in #28 get in return for doing Jack's homework?
5. Who saw Jack at the site where his father was killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ralph Bird do when he spots Jack back in Holt?
2. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
3. Why was Jack expelled from college and where did he go after leaving school?
4. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
5. What is the only thing Jessie can think to do in order to repay the townspeople for Jack's crime?
6. What is the setting for the novel?
7. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
8. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
9. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
10. Who was Wanda Jo Evans and what role did she play in Jack's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the flashback technique to tell the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Jessie Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
This section contains 1,423 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)