|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jack become a hero in Holt?
2. What is the sheriff doing when he gets a call about Jack Burdette?
3. Who was the girl who agreed to do all of Jack's homework?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. What surprises Wanda Jo about Jack's return to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Jack's parentage when the author uses a flashback in Chapter 2?
2. Who is Nora Kramer and what are her personality traits?
3. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
4. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
5. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
6. What does Wanda Jo do when she learns that Jack got married?
7. What is the setting for the novel?
8. Describe Jack's high school years.
9. Why did Jack and his friends steal a refrigerator?
10. Compare and contrast Pat and Jack's perspectives on the college experience.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Jack Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jack, Jessie, their sons , Wanda Jo and Pat Arbuckle. Be sure to include work, socialization, marital status, hobbies, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)