|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack handle the unpleasant things in his life?
2. Why did Jack become a hero in Holt?
3. Who was the owner of the town's newspaper?
4. What color is the vehicle in #5?
5. In what state does the novel take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nora Kramer and what are her personality traits?
2. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
3. What does Jack's marriage to Jessie indicate to Wanda Jo?
4. How was Jack's father killed?
5. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
6. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
7. What does Jack's moving out of his mother's house indicate about his personality?
8. How does Jack's childhood behavior mirror the environment in his home?
9. Compare and contrast Pat and Jack's perspectives on the college experience.
10. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Jessie Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jack, Jessie, their sons , Wanda Jo and Pat Arbuckle. Be sure to include work, socialization, marital status, hobbies, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jack Burdette and Pat Arbuckle. As young men, both are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Jack and Pat alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)