Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for Jack's accommodations while he is on his trip?
2. What sport did Jack discover in high school?
3. When do boys in town come to drink beer and play cards in Jack's room?
4. To what city does Jack go six months after his promotion?
5. Who was the owner of the town's newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
2. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
3. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
4. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
5. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
6. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
7. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
8. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
9. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
10. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
The author uses the flashback technique to tell the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of flashback.
Compare and contrast Jack Burdette and Pat Arbuckle. As young men, both are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Jack and Pat alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)