|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jack unhappy during his early days at college?
2. What type of relationship does the girl in #75 want with Jack?
3. What punishment does Jack receive for stealing the item in #65?
4. What rumor about Jack spreads quickly in town when Jack returns from his trip?
5. What type of vehicle does the person in #2 drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jack and his friends steal a refrigerator?
2. What is Jack Burdette doing at the beginning of the story?
3. Compare and contrast Pat and Jack's perspectives on the college experience.
4. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
5. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
6. What is the setting for the novel?
7. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
8. What is revealed about Jack's parentage when the author uses a flashback in Chapter 2?
9. What did Jack excel at during high school that made him a local hero?
10. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Does Haruf end the story on a note of hope for the characters, or will they continue to struggle with their relationships and hopes for their lives? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)