|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. What does Jack do with the young woman in #88?
3. What does Wanda Jo do in Jack's room when the boys are there?
4. Why does Pat not see Jack often at college?
5. What was a usual result of Jack's behavior in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
2. Compare and contrast Pat and Jack's perspectives on the college experience.
3. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
4. How does the sheriff treat Jack when he finds him?
5. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
6. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
7. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
8. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
9. What information does the author reveal about Jack Burdette at the beginning of the novel?
10. What does Ralph Bird do when he spots Jack back in Holt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jack, Jessie, their sons , Wanda Jo and Pat Arbuckle. Be sure to include work, socialization, marital status, hobbies, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have that women in prior times did not have?
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)