|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do with the young woman in #88?
2. What did the person in #46 find it difficult to do?
3. What do Jack and his friends steal from Burcham Scott's house?
4. What rumor about Jack spreads quickly in town when Jack returns from his trip?
5. Where was Jack's father headed when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
2. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
3. How was Jack's father killed?
4. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
5. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
6. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
7. What role does Wanda Jo play in Jack's life after his stint in the army, and what does Wanda Jo hope for regarding Jack?
8. What information does the author reveal about Jack Burdette at the beginning of the novel?
9. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
10. What is the setting for the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Do a brief character sketch of Jessie Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have that women in prior times did not have?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)