|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say is the advice his lawyer gave him?
2. What event has traumatized the girl in #68?
3. How did Jack's father die?
4. In school, no teacher would agree to have Jack in her class for more than ____________________.
5. What does the sheriff do when he confronts Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could Jack be characterized as a kid and what were the circumstances of his school years?
2. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
3. What does Ralph Bird do when he spots Jack back in Holt?
4. Who is the author of "Where You Once Belonged" and what is known about him?
5. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
6. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
7. What is revealed about Jack's parentage when the author uses a flashback in Chapter 2?
8. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
9. Who is Nora Kramer and what are her personality traits?
10. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the flashback technique to tell the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "Where You Once Belonged". Why did the author choose the setting that he did? What time period does the story cover? How do these things impact a story?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)