|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle does the person in #2 drive?
2. What can be said about Jack's parents?
3. With whom does Pat fall in love while at college?
4. Why does Wanda Jo put up with Jack's poor treatment of her?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Jack as a student?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
2. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
3. Who is the author of "Where You Once Belonged" and what is known about him?
4. How was Jack's father killed?
5. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
6. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
7. Why did Jack move out of his mother's house after his father died?
8. How does the sheriff treat Jack when he finds him?
9. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
10. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have that women in prior times did not have?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is an important theme in "Where You Once Belonged". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)