|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was notable about Jack Burdette's father?
2. What is the sheriff doing when he gets a call about Jack Burdette?
3. Who was the owner of the town's newspaper?
4. How does Jack handle the unpleasant things in his life?
5. What is the name of the town where the story takes place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
2. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
3. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
4. Describe Jack's high school years.
5. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
6. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
7. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
8. What role does Wanda Jo play in Jack's life after his stint in the army, and what does Wanda Jo hope for regarding Jack?
9. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
10. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Describe grain elevator. What is its role in the community? Is it typical of businesses in small towns in rural America?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)