|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for Jack's accommodations while he is on his trip?
2. What sport did Jack discover in high school?
3. When do boys in town come to drink beer and play cards in Jack's room?
4. To what city does Jack go six months after his promotion?
5. Who was the owner of the town's newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
2. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
3. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
4. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
5. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
6. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
7. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
8. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
9. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
10. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of "Where You Once Belonged". Why did the author choose the setting that he did? What time period does the story cover? How do these things impact a story?
Essay Topic 3
Do a brief character sketch of Jessie Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are her physical characteristics? What are her hopes and dreams? What is important to her at this point in time?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)