Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for Jack's accommodations while he is on his trip?
2. What sport did Jack discover in high school?
3. When do boys in town come to drink beer and play cards in Jack's room?
4. To what city does Jack go six months after his promotion?
5. Who was the owner of the town's newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
2. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
3. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
4. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
5. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
6. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
7. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
8. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
9. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
10. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Describe the setting of "Where You Once Belonged". Why did the author choose the setting that he did? What time period does the story cover? How do these things impact a story?
Betrayal is an important theme in "Where You Once Belonged". Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)