|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jack behave in school?
2. What is a quality that Jack possesses?
3. What kind of behavior does Wanda Jo exhibit after she hears the news about Jack?
4. How long has the girl in #75 taken care of things for Jack?
5. What does the sheriff do when he confronts Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
2. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
3. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
4. What is Jack Burdette doing at the beginning of the story?
5. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
6. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
7. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
8. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
9. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
10. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have that women in prior times did not have?
Essay Topic 2
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
"Where You Once Belonged" is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 1,481 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)