|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The person in #2 parks the vehicle in front of what establishment?
2. What was notable about Jack Burdette's father?
3. Jack's mother was a/an _________________ woman.
4. To what city does Jack go six months after his promotion?
5. What type of vehicle does the person in #2 drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Wanda Jo Evans and what role did she play in Jack's life?
2. What does Wanda Jo do when she learns that Jack got married?
3. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
4. What does Jack's marriage to Jessie indicate to Wanda Jo?
5. What does Ralph Bird do when he spots Jack back in Holt?
6. How does the sheriff treat Jack when he finds him?
7. How could Jack be characterized as a kid and what were the circumstances of his school years?
8. Who is Nora Kramer and what are her personality traits?
9. What is the setting for the novel?
10. Why was Jack expelled from college and where did he go after leaving school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses the flashback technique to tell the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of flashback.
Essay Topic 3
"Where You Once Belonged" is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)