|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major decision does Wanda Jo make regarding Jack?
2. How could the girl in #68 best be characterized?
3. What college do Jack and Pat attend?
4. Where does Jack live after he moves out of his mother's house?
5. What does Jack do after he leaves college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nora Kramer and what are her personality traits?
2. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
3. What role does Wanda Jo play in Jack's life after his stint in the army, and what does Wanda Jo hope for regarding Jack?
4. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
5. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
6. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
7. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
8. Why was Jack expelled from college and where did he go after leaving school?
9. How does the sheriff treat Jack when he finds him?
10. What does Ralph Bird do when he spots Jack back in Holt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Jack Burdette including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)