|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pat and his new wife move after graduation?
2. Most of the people in Holt feel _________________ about Jack Burdette.
3. Who is the young woman Jack meets while on his trip?
4. What is the name of Pat's little girl?
5. In school, no teacher would agree to have Jack in her class for more than ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
2. How could Jack be characterized as a kid and what were the circumstances of his school years?
3. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
4. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
5. How was Jack's father killed?
6. How does Jack's childhood behavior mirror the environment in his home?
7. Compare and contrast Pat and Jack's perspectives on the college experience.
8. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
9. What is the setting for the novel?
10. Why did Jack and his friends steal a refrigerator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jack, Jessie, their sons , Wanda Jo and Pat Arbuckle. Be sure to include work, socialization, marital status, hobbies, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of "Where You Once Belonged". Why did the author choose the setting that he did? What time period does the story cover? How do these things impact a story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view? How is the point of view determined? Provide an example that supports your answer.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)