|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month of the year did Jack's father die?
2. What do Jack and his friends steal from Burcham Scott's house?
3. What is the reason for Jack's trip to the city in #84?
4. From where was Jack's father returning when he was killed?
5. What does Jack do with the young woman in #88?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Jack and Pat go to college and how do they like the college experience?
2. What did Jack excel at during high school that made him a local hero?
3. Why did Jack and his friends steal a refrigerator?
4. Who is Nora Kramer and what are her personality traits?
5. What did Jack's room at the boarding house become for his friends?
6. Why was Jack expelled from college and where did he go after leaving school?
7. What information does the author reveal about Jack Burdette at the beginning of the novel?
8. What negative behavior characteristics does Jack show through his actions?
9. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
10. What does Wanda Jo do when she learns that Jack got married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Describe grain elevator. What is its role in the community? Is it typical of businesses in small towns in rural America?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)