|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could the girl in #68 best be characterized?
2. What sport did Jack discover in high school?
3. What is the name of Pat's little girl?
4. Where does the sheriff hit Jack?
5. What college do Jack and Pat attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for the novel?
2. How does the sheriff treat Jack when he finds him?
3. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
4. How could Jack be characterized as a kid and what were the circumstances of his school years?
5. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
6. What role does Wanda Jo play in Jack's life after his stint in the army, and what does Wanda Jo hope for regarding Jack?
7. Who was Wanda Jo Evans and what role did she play in Jack's life?
8. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
9. How was Jack's father killed?
10. Describe Jack's high school years.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Haruf is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jack, Jessie, their sons , Wanda Jo and Pat Arbuckle. Be sure to include work, socialization, marital status, hobbies, etc.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)