|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat especially enjoy during his early days at college?
2. With whom does Pat fall in love while at college?
3. Who was the son of the owner of the town's newspaper?
4. Jack left on his trip on a Thursday and was supposed to return on _________________.
5. Jack's mother was a/an _________________ woman.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Jack's father killed?
2. How does Jack's childhood behavior mirror the environment in his home?
3. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
4. What does Jack's marriage to Jessie indicate to Wanda Jo?
5. What is Jack Burdette doing at the beginning of the story?
6. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
7. What is revealed about Jack's parentage when the author uses a flashback in Chapter 2?
8. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
9. What negative behavior characteristics does Jack show through his actions?
10. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Survival seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of survival? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 3
Does Haruf end the story on a note of hope for the characters, or will they continue to struggle with their relationships and hopes for their lives? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)