|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack's father was a/an ____________________.
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
3. Where did Pat and his new wife move after graduation?
4. To what city does Wanda Jo eventually move?
5. What does Jack's mother do to him after his father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
2. What information does the author reveal about Jack Burdette at the beginning of the novel?
3. What is the purpose of Jack's trip to Tulsa?
4. Why did Jack move out of his mother's house after his father died?
5. Who was Wanda Jo Evans and what role did she play in Jack's life?
6. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
7. What does Jack's marriage to Jessie indicate to Wanda Jo?
8. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
9. What role does Wanda Jo play in Jack's life after his stint in the army, and what does Wanda Jo hope for regarding Jack?
10. How could Jack be characterized as a kid and what were the circumstances of his school years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do a brief character sketch of Pat Arbuckle including positive and negative characteristics. What are his physical characteristics? What are his hopes and dreams? What is important to him at this point in time?
Essay Topic 2
Describe grain elevator. What is its role in the community? Is it typical of businesses in small towns in rural America?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the mid- to late-20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms do they have that women in prior times did not have?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)