|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what job is Jack promoted?
2. How did Jack's father die?
3. What was notable about Jack Burdette's father?
4. Jack left on his trip on a Thursday and was supposed to return on _________________.
5. Who photographed the accident site where Jack's father was killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
2. Describe Jack's high school years.
3. Why was Jack expelled from college and where did he go after leaving school?
4. What is Jack Burdette doing at the beginning of the story?
5. What happens that gives Wanda Jo a glimmer of hope regarding a life with Jack?
6. Who first notices Jack when he returns to Holt?
7. How does the sheriff treat Jack when he finds him?
8. How does Jack meet Jessie and what is her role in his life?
9. What does Ralph Bird do when he spots Jack back in Holt?
10. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jack Burdette and Pat Arbuckle. As young men, both are trying to carve out new lives but seem to have different methods and goals. How are Jack and Pat alike? How are they different? On what things do they agree? What is the thing that threatens to separate them? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Haruf is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)