|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) She wanted to be married.
(b) Only she knows.
(c) She was lonesome.
(d) She was bored.
2. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) He needs a vacation.
(b) His marriage is over.
(c) He wants to move to Denver.
(d) He wants to take a leave of absence.
3. What is notable about Jessie's third birth?
(a) She has another boy.
(b) She has twin girls.
(c) The baby is stillborn.
(d) The baby is premature.
4. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
(a) Her children.
(b) The Methodist church.
(c) The grain elevator.
(d) Her brother.
5. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
(a) Wanda Jo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack refuse to talk to Pat about?
2. How do the townspeople feel when Charlie does not stand trial?
3. What items does Jack buy on credit at the Men's Store?
4. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
5. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
2. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
3. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
4. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
5. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
6. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
7. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
8. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
9. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
10. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)