|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What items does Jack buy on credit at Schulte's store?
(a) An overcoat.
(b) Underwear and socks.
(d) A couple of belts.
2. How do the townspeople feel when Charlie does not stand trial?
(a) They are complacent about it.
(b) They feel cheated out of justice.
(c) They understand his situation.
(d) They don't pay much attention to the situation.
3. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Watching a movie at home.
(b) Taking a nap.
(c) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(d) Getting ready for work.
4. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
5. Who cared for Jessie's mother and siblings?
(a) A nurse.
(b) Jessie's father.
(d) Jessie's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
2. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
3. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
4. What does Jack do after he makes all the credit purchases?
5. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
2. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
3. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
4. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
5. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
6. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
7. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
8. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
9. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
10. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)