|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nora's demeanor when Pat visits her at her father's house?
2. Who do the townspeople yell at on the street?
(b) Wanda Jo.
3. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) He needs a vacation.
(b) His marriage is over.
(c) He wants to move to Denver.
(d) He wants to take a leave of absence.
4. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A hero.
(b) A pathetic man.
(c) An outcast.
(d) A religious convert.
5. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
(a) He is reprimanded.
(b) He is put on probation.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
2. What is the purpose of Jessie's visit to the Hold Mercury office in January of 1977?
3. What happens to Pat and Nora's daughter?
4. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
5. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
2. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
3. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
4. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
5. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
6. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
7. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
8. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
9. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
10. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)