|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long is Doyle Francis to take over at the grain elevator?
(a) Just a year.
(b) A few months.
(c) Until Jack returns or a replacement can be found.
(d) As long as he wants to stay.
2. What is notable about Jessie's third birth?
(a) She has twin girls.
(b) The baby is stillborn.
(c) The baby is premature.
(d) She has another boy.
3. What job does Jessie get?
(a) Dancing at a bar.
(b) Assistant at the library.
(c) Waitress at a cafe.
(d) Dental hygienist.
4. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) His marriage is over.
(b) He needs a vacation.
(c) He wants to take a leave of absence.
(d) He wants to move to Denver.
5. What is Jessie's father's profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
2. Toward whom will the townspeople direct their anger?
3. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
4. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
5. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
2. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
3. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
4. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
5. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
6. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
7. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
8. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
9. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
10. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)