|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) His marriage is over.
(b) He needs a vacation.
(c) He wants to take a leave of absence.
(d) He wants to move to Denver.
2. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
(a) Someone else confessed to the crime.
(b) Someone has posted his bail.
(c) The statute of limitations on the crime has passed.
(d) He has already been tried for the crime and found innocent.
3. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
(a) He is brain damaged.
(b) He is insane.
(c) He is innocent.
(d) He is retarded.
4. What is Jack's only regret about his crime?
(a) Being away from his sons.
(b) He can't return to work at the grain elevator.
(c) He can't ever practice law again.
(d) The money didn't last long enough.
5. Where does Nora's father live?
(c) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jessie's father's profession?
2. Which of the following do Pat, Jessie and her boys NOT do on an excursion to Denver?
3. How did the townspeople view Jack's disappearance from town initially?
4. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
5. What does Jack do to Pat at Jessie's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
2. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
3. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
4. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
5. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
6. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
7. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
8. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
9. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
10. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)