|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who breaks into Jessie's apartment in the middle of the night?
2. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
(a) A fishing trip in the Bahamas.
(b) Nora's father's house in Denver.
(c) A bed & breakfast in California.
(d) A trip into the mountains.
3. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
(a) They want to see the kind of woman Jack would marry.
(b) They want to ask Jack to run for mayor.
(c) They want to talk about the drought.
(d) They want to talk about grain prices.
4. What does Jack do to his family?
(a) He murders them.
(b) He reunites happily with them.
(c) He takes them to dinner.
(d) He takes them out of town.
5. What is Jack's only regret about his crime?
(a) He can't ever practice law again.
(b) He can't return to work at the grain elevator.
(c) Being away from his sons.
(d) The money didn't last long enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
2. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
3. Where is Jessie working?
4. Who is Pat and Nora's daughter?
5. What expensive item does Jack buy on credit at a jewelry store in December of 1976?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
2. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
3. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
4. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
5. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
6. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
7. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
8. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
9. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
10. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)