|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
2. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Watching a movie at home.
(b) Getting ready for work.
(c) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(d) Taking a nap.
3. How old is Pat and Nora's daughter in 1982?
4. What is the result of Charlie's failed suicide attempt?
(a) He is brain damaged.
(b) He is a paraplegic.
(c) He is crippled.
(d) He has a stroke.
5. What do Pat and Jessie do on Sundays?
(a) Go on outings with her boys.
(b) Go to a matinee.
(c) Go to church.
(d) Go to baseball games.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jessie?
2. What does Jack do to his family?
3. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
4. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
5. What makes the townspeople stop taking out their anger on Jessie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
2. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
3. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
4. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
5. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
6. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
7. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
8. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
9. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
10. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)