|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Thomas Jerald.
(b) Thomas James.
(c) Thomas John.
(d) Thomas Jared.
2. What does Jack do to his family?
(a) He reunites happily with them.
(b) He takes them out of town.
(c) He murders them.
(d) He takes them to dinner.
3. What is Jack's only regret about his crime?
(a) He can't return to work at the grain elevator.
(b) Being away from his sons.
(c) He can't ever practice law again.
(d) The money didn't last long enough.
4. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
(a) The Methodist church.
(b) The grain elevator.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her brother.
5. What does Jack do to Pat at Jessie's apartment?
(a) Hits him with a fireplace poker.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Ties him up.
(d) Stabs him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
2. For how long is Doyle Francis to take over at the grain elevator?
3. Who is Doyle Francis?
4. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
5. What is the purpose of Jessie's visit to the Hold Mercury office in January of 1977?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
2. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
3. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
4. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
5. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
6. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
7. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
8. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
9. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
10. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)