|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Watching a movie at home.
(c) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(d) Getting ready for work.
2. How much money have Jack and the bookkeeper managed to steal from the grain elevator over the years?
3. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's second son?
4. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
5. What do most of the townspeople have in common?
(a) They are Republicans.
(b) They are Methodists.
(c) They are artists.
(d) They have a share in the grain elevator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nora's father live?
2. What is the purpose of Jessie's visit to the Hold Mercury office in January of 1977?
3. Who is Pat and Nora's daughter?
4. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
5. What is Jessie's father's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
2. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
3. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
4. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
5. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
6. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
7. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
8. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
9. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
10. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)