|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jessie's father's profession?
2. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
(a) The Holt Diner.
(d) The Last Chance Bar.
3. What job does Jessie get?
(a) Dental hygienist.
(b) Assistant at the library.
(c) Waitress at a cafe.
(d) Dancing at a bar.
4. What is the result of Charlie's failed suicide attempt?
(a) He is crippled.
(b) He has a stroke.
(c) He is a paraplegic.
(d) He is brain damaged.
5. What items does Jack buy on credit at Schulte's store?
(b) Underwear and socks.
(c) An overcoat.
(d) A couple of belts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
2. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
3. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
4. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
5. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
2. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
3. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
4. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
5. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
6. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
7. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
8. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
9. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
10. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)