|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
(a) To the grain elevator.
(b) To the minister's parsonage.
(c) Out past the city limits.
(d) To his house.
2. What makes the townspeople stop taking out their anger on Jessie?
(a) She and her boys move out of town.
(b) She is able to pay back the money Jack stole.
(c) She loses her baby.
(d) They are tired of being angry.
3. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
(a) The Holt Gazette.
(b) The Holt Journal.
(c) The Holt Mercury.
(d) The Holt Dispatch.
4. How can Jessie best be characterized?
5. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
(a) She chooses a few friends.
(b) She rebuffs them.
(c) She embraces all of them.
(d) She is tentative toward them.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
2. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
3. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
4. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
5. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
2. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
3. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
4. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
5. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
6. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
7. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
8. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
9. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
10. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)