|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
(d) All the time.
2. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Thomas John.
(b) Thomas Jared.
(c) Thomas Jerald.
(d) Thomas James.
3. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
(b) Wanda Jo.
4. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
(a) He threatens them at gunpoint.
(b) He promises them a better life.
(c) He says they are going on vacation.
(d) He apologizes for hurting them.
5. How do the townspeople feel when Charlie does not stand trial?
(a) They feel cheated out of justice.
(b) They are complacent about it.
(c) They don't pay much attention to the situation.
(d) They understand his situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Charlie's failed suicide attempt?
2. What does the sheriff do when he learns that Jack has kidnapped his family?
3. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
4. What is notable about Jessie's mother?
5. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
2. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
3. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
4. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
5. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
6. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
7. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
8. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
9. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
10. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)