|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
(a) The church hall.
(b) The diner.
(c) The grain elevator.
(d) Jack's apartment.
2. Whose company does Jessie value most?
(c) Wanda Jo's.
(d) Her own.
3. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) The mayor of Holt.
(c) The former manager of the grain elevator.
(d) A high school principal.
4. How long had Jack been gone from Holt?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 10 weeks.
(c) 4 months.
(d) 8 years.
5. How can Jessie best be characterized?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
2. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
3. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
4. When does Nora return home after visiting her father?
5. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
2. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
3. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
4. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
5. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
6. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
7. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
8. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
9. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
10. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)