|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the townspeople center their anger about the theft on the bookkeeper?
(a) He has a history of theft.
(b) He is also a minister and should know better than to steal.
(c) He is the one who had the idea to steal.
(d) Jack has run away from town.
2. When does Nora return home after visiting her father?
(a) She returns in two weeks.
(b) She returns in six months.
(c) She returns in a month.
(d) She doesn't come home.
3. What is Jack's main concern when talking to Pat?
(a) Pat's relationship with Jessie.
(b) The location of Wanda Jo.
(c) The death of Pat's daughter.
(d) Who is managing the grain elevator.
4. How much money have Jack and the bookkeeper managed to steal from the grain elevator over the years?
5. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What items does Jack buy on credit at the Men's Store?
2. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
3. Who takes over for Jack at the grain elevator while he is gone?
4. On what day of the week does Jessie work?
5. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
2. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
3. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
4. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
5. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
6. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
7. Who becomes the target of the townspeople's wrath when they cannot get any justice through Charlie Soames?
8. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
9. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
10. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)