|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Jessie working?
(a) The Holt Diner.
(c) The Last Chance Bar.
2. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
(a) Max Harrington.
(b) Steve Marshall.
(c) Jack Vincent.
(d) Charlie Soames.
3. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
(a) She doesn't have a car to drive there.
(b) She is in the late stages of pregnancy.
(c) She is getting migraine headaches.
(d) She can't find a babysitter for her kids.
4. What does Jack do after he makes all the credit purchases?
(a) He pays it all in full.
(b) He makes monthly payments.
(c) He returns everything.
(d) He disappears.
5. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
(a) The judge.
(b) The grain elevator.
(c) The mayor.
(d) The prosecutors.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
2. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
3. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
4. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
5. What is Jack's only regret about his crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
2. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
3. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
4. Why do so many people in town turn up at the diner when Jack returns to town?
5. What happens to Pat's marriage to Nora after the death of their daughter?
6. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
7. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
8. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
9. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
10. Who are Jessie and Jack's children?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)