|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) His shed.
(b) His attic.
(c) His basement.
(d) His car.
2. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
(a) Out past the city limits.
(b) To the grain elevator.
(c) To his house.
(d) To the minister's parsonage.
3. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
(b) Tommie Boy.
(c) Tom Tom.
4. What job does Jessie get?
(a) Assistant at the library.
(b) Dancing at a bar.
(c) Waitress at a cafe.
(d) Dental hygienist.
5. Whose company does Jessie value most?
(b) Wanda Jo's.
(c) Her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
2. What is notable about Jessie's third birth?
3. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
4. What does the sheriff do when he learns that Jack has kidnapped his family?
5. What do Pat and Jessie do on Sundays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
2. What job does Jessie take even though she is in the late stages of pregnancy?
3. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
4. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
5. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
6. Why do the townspeople feel cheated of justice, and who do they turn their wrath toward when they cannot take legal action against Charlie Soames?
7. What are some of the things Pat does to ingratiate himself with Jessie and her sons?
8. Why are the people of Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
9. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
10. What does Jack do that shows why he came back to Holt, and what do his actions do to Pat?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)