|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack do after he makes all the credit purchases?
(a) He returns everything.
(b) He makes monthly payments.
(c) He pays it all in full.
(d) He disappears.
2. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) The mayor of Holt.
(c) The former manager of the grain elevator.
(d) A high school principal.
3. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
4. Whose company does Jessie value most?
(b) Wanda Jo's.
(c) Her own.
5. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jessie working?
2. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
3. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's second son?
4. Who takes over for Jack at the grain elevator while he is gone?
5. What happens to Pat and Nora's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack's crime make the people of Holt dislike Jessie even more?
2. How does Jessie find out that Jack has returned to town?
3. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
4. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
5. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
6. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
7. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
8. What purchases does Jack make prior to leaving town for good?
9. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
10. Why are the people in Holt so angry at Charlie Soames?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)