|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
(a) He is insane.
(b) He is innocent.
(c) He is retarded.
(d) He is brain damaged.
2. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
(b) The Last Chance Bar.
(d) The Holt Diner.
3. What items does Jack buy on credit at the Men's Store?
(a) Three suits.
(b) A tuxedo.
(c) A suit and shirts.
(d) Shoes and shirts.
4. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
(a) Out past the city limits.
(b) To his house.
(c) To the grain elevator.
(d) To the minister's parsonage.
5. What does Jack do to his family?
(a) He takes them out of town.
(b) He reunites happily with them.
(c) He takes them to dinner.
(d) He murders them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Doyle Francis?
2. What is Jack's only regret about his crime?
3. What do Pat and Jessie do on Sundays?
4. How old is Pat and Nora's daughter in 1982?
5. What expensive item does Jack buy on credit at a jewelry store in December of 1976?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Charlie's suicide attempt fails?
2. Does Jack show any remorse when visited by the head of the grain elevator board?
3. What is the only thing Jessie can think to do in order to repay the townspeople for Jack's crime?
4. Why are Pat and Jessie perfect candidates for a romantic relationship with each other?
5. What is revealed about Jack that infuriates the people in Holt?
6. What personal tragedy does Pat suffer in the Summer of 1982?
7. How do Pat and Jessie become romantically involved?
8. After Jack has been gone for awhile, what shocking and public action does Jessie take?
9. Why is the sheriff unable to keep Jack locked up?
10. How does Jessie interact with the people in town?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)