|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the character who drives into town at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Jack Burdette.
(b) John Hall.
(c) Pat Harrison.
(d) Phil Thorpe.
2. What did Jack's father not see until it was too late?
(a) A semi-trailer.
(b) An intruder.
(c) A gang of boys in a car.
(d) A train coming down the tracks.
3. What does Pat especially enjoy during his early days at college?
(a) His classes.
(b) His roommate.
(c) Rushing a fraternity.
(d) All the new girls.
4. In what year does the story take place?
5. When do boys in town come to drink beer and play cards in Jack's room?
(a) Friday nights.
(b) Sunday nights.
(c) Thursday nights.
(d) Saturday nights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the son of the owner of the town's newspaper?
2. How does Jack handle the unpleasant things in his life?
3. Jack's mother was a/an _________________ woman.
4. To what job is Jack promoted?
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Jack's parentage when the author uses a flashback in Chapter 2?
2. Why did Jack and his friends steal a refrigerator?
3. How does the sheriff's treatment of Jack indicate what most of the townspeople feel about him?
4. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
5. What does Jack's moving out of his mother's house indicate about his personality?
6. What does Ralph Bird do when he spots Jack back in Holt?
7. Why did Jack move out of his mother's house after his father died?
8. What role does Wanda Jo play in Jack's life after his stint in the army, and what does Wanda Jo hope for regarding Jack?
9. How does Jack's childhood behavior mirror the environment in his home?
10. Describe Jack's high school years.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)