|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pat not see Jack often at college?
(a) He is embarrassed to be seen with him.
(b) They live in different dorms.
(c) Jack is an athlete and Pat is a scholar.
(d) Their schedules conflict.
2. In what state does the novel take place?
(b) New Mexico.
3. Where does Jack get a job after he moves out of his mother's house?
(a) A movie theater.
(b) A grain elevator.
(c) A hardware store.
(d) A restaurant.
4. Jack's mother was a/an _________________ woman.
5. Where did Pat and his new wife move after graduation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack's mother do to him after his father's death?
2. With whom does Pat fall in love while at college?
3. What type of relationship does the girl in #75 want with Jack?
4. What can be said about Jack's parents?
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
2. Why did Jack and his friends steal a refrigerator?
3. Who does Pat marry, and what is their early married life like?
4. What is revealed about Jack's parentage when the author uses a flashback in Chapter 2?
5. What does Jack's moving out of his mother's house indicate about his personality?
6. How was Jack's father killed?
7. Compare and contrast Pat and Jack's perspectives on the college experience.
8. Why was Jack expelled from college and where did he go after leaving school?
9. What does Wanda Jo do when she learns that Jack got married?
10. What is Jack Burdette doing at the beginning of the story?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)