|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who told the person in #46 about Jack's father's accident?
(a) An elderly woman.
(b) A local man.
(c) A group of boys.
(d) A sheriff's deputy.
2. What did one of Jack's teachers do out of frustration of having him in her class?
(a) She resigned.
(b) She switched classes.
(c) She worked in the office.
(d) She called in sick a lot.
3. Who is the character who drives into town at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Jack Burdette.
(b) John Hall.
(c) Phil Thorpe.
(d) Pat Harrison.
4. Most of the people in Holt feel _________________ about Jack Burdette.
5. What was Jack scheduled to do upon his return home from his trip?
(a) Sign the loan papers for his house.
(b) Present at a board meeting.
(c) Have a dental procedure.
(d) Attend a parent-teacher conference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pat especially enjoy during his early days at college?
2. Where does Jack get a job after he moves out of his mother's house?
3. Who pays for Jack's accommodations while he is on his trip?
4. What is the sheriff doing when he gets a call about Jack Burdette?
5. What was notable about Jack Burdette's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jack move out of his mother's house after his father died?
2. What does Jack warn Pat about when Pat visits him in jail?
3. What does Doyle Francis discover when he returns to manage the grain elevator in Jack's absence?
4. What happens to finally make the townspeople leave Jessie alone?
5. How does Charlie try to commit suicide?
6. What is Jessie like, and what do the townspeople think of her?
7. Who was Wanda Jo Evans and what role did she play in Jack's life?
8. What negative behavior characteristics does Jack show through his actions?
9. What is Jack Burdette doing at the beginning of the story?
10. Who is Pat Arbuckle?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)