|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the townspeople view Jack's disappearance from town initially?
(a) They were amused.
(b) They were angry.
(c) They were worried.
(d) They were shocked.
2. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
(a) All the time.
3. What is notable about Jessie's third birth?
(a) She has another boy.
(b) The baby is stillborn.
(c) The baby is premature.
(d) She has twin girls.
4. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
(a) She is tentative toward them.
(b) She rebuffs them.
(c) She chooses a few friends.
(d) She embraces all of them.
5. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) He wants to take a leave of absence.
(b) His marriage is over.
(c) He wants to move to Denver.
(d) He needs a vacation.
6. How long had Jack been gone from Holt?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 weeks.
(d) 4 months.
7. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
(a) To tell him that Nora was in a car accident.
(b) To tell him that Jack is back in town.
(c) To tell him that Jessie is in the hospital.
(d) To tell him that the golf outing has been cancelled.
8. Whose company does Jessie value most?
(c) Wanda Jo's.
(d) Her own.
9. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Watching a movie at home.
(b) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(c) Taking a nap.
(d) Getting ready for work.
10. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) The former manager of the grain elevator.
(c) The mayor of Holt.
(d) A high school principal.
11. What do Pat and Jessie do on Sundays?
(a) Go to a matinee.
(b) Go on outings with her boys.
(c) Go to baseball games.
(d) Go to church.
12. Why does Nora go to visit her father for awhile?
(a) To help him write a book.
(b) To care for him after his surgery.
(c) To just spend time with him.
(d) To help him move.
13. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's second son?
14. What is NOT Jack's demeanor when the head of the grain elevator's board visits him in jail?
15. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
(a) A church.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expensive item does Jack buy on credit at a jewelry store in December of 1976?
2. What does Jack do after he makes all the credit purchases?
3. What is the result of Charlie's failed suicide attempt?
4. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's second son?
5. What message does Jessie publish for the townspeople to read?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)