|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pat and Nora's daughter?
2. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Thomas Jared.
(b) Thomas James.
(c) Thomas John.
(d) Thomas Jerald.
3. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A religious convert.
(b) A hero.
(c) An outcast.
(d) A pathetic man.
4. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) The former manager of the grain elevator.
(b) A high school principal.
(c) The mayor of Holt.
(d) A traveling salesman.
5. What does Jack refuse to talk to Pat about?
(a) His health.
(b) The embezzlement.
(d) His boys.
6. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
7. What do Pat and Jessie do on Sundays?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Go to a matinee.
(c) Go on outings with her boys.
(d) Go to baseball games.
8. Who do the townspeople yell at on the street?
(b) Wanda Jo.
9. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
(a) They want to see the kind of woman Jack would marry.
(b) They want to talk about the drought.
(c) They want to talk about grain prices.
(d) They want to ask Jack to run for mayor.
10. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Getting ready for work.
(b) Taking a nap.
(c) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(d) Watching a movie at home.
11. What message does Jessie publish for the townspeople to read?
(a) That a search has been scheduled to find Jack.
(b) That she is not responsible for Jack's debts.
(c) That she is divorcing Jack.
(d) That Jack has been murdered.
12. How does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) He inhales car exhaust fumes.
(b) He shoots himself.
(c) He overdoses on drugs.
(d) He slits his wrist.
13. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
14. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's second son?
15. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Nora return home after visiting her father?
2. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
3. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
4. What makes the townspeople stop taking out their anger on Jessie?
5. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)