|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A pathetic man.
(b) A religious convert.
(c) A hero.
(d) An outcast.
2. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
(a) All the time.
3. Why do the townspeople center their anger about the theft on the bookkeeper?
(a) He is also a minister and should know better than to steal.
(b) He has a history of theft.
(c) He is the one who had the idea to steal.
(d) Jack has run away from town.
4. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
(a) The Holt Diner.
(d) The Last Chance Bar.
5. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
6. Toward whom will the townspeople direct their anger?
7. What is NOT Jack's demeanor when the head of the grain elevator's board visits him in jail?
8. What is notable about Jessie's third birth?
(a) The baby is stillborn.
(b) The baby is premature.
(c) She has another boy.
(d) She has twin girls.
9. What is the general feeling in town regarding the grain elevator theft?
10. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
(a) A bed & breakfast in California.
(b) A fishing trip in the Bahamas.
(c) A trip into the mountains.
(d) Nora's father's house in Denver.
11. What does Jack do after he makes all the credit purchases?
(a) He makes monthly payments.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He returns everything.
(d) He pays it all in full.
12. What do Pat and Jessie do on Sundays?
(a) Go to church.
(b) Go on outings with her boys.
(c) Go to baseball games.
(d) Go to a matinee.
13. What is the purpose of Jessie's visit to the Hold Mercury office in January of 1977?
(a) To have a notice printed about Jack.
(b) To place an ad for her garage sale.
(c) To place an ad for the grain elevator.
(d) To purchase a subscription.
14. Who breaks into Jessie's apartment in the middle of the night?
15. What is Nora's demeanor when Pat visits her at her father's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
2. What does Jack order Pat to do?
3. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
4. What makes the townspeople stop taking out their anger on Jessie?
5. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)