|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) The mayor of Holt.
(c) The former manager of the grain elevator.
(d) A high school principal.
2. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
(a) The Holt Diner.
(b) The Last Chance Bar.
3. Why do the townspeople center their anger about the theft on the bookkeeper?
(a) He has a history of theft.
(b) Jack has run away from town.
(c) He is also a minister and should know better than to steal.
(d) He is the one who had the idea to steal.
4. What accident does Jessie suffer?
(a) She twisted her ankle.
(b) She fell on some ice.
(c) She wrecked her car.
(d) She strained her back during a move.
5. Who cared for Jessie's mother and siblings?
(b) Jessie's father.
(c) A nurse.
(d) Jessie's mother.
6. Why does Nora go to visit her father for awhile?
(a) To care for him after his surgery.
(b) To help him write a book.
(c) To just spend time with him.
(d) To help him move.
7. Who breaks into Jessie's apartment in the middle of the night?
8. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's second son?
9. What message does Jessie publish for the townspeople to read?
(a) That Jack has been murdered.
(b) That she is not responsible for Jack's debts.
(c) That a search has been scheduled to find Jack.
(d) That she is divorcing Jack.
10. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
(d) Wanda Jo.
11. What makes the townspeople stop taking out their anger on Jessie?
(a) They are tired of being angry.
(b) She and her boys move out of town.
(c) She is able to pay back the money Jack stole.
(d) She loses her baby.
12. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
13. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
(b) Give him her money.
(c) Pack a suitcase.
(d) Cook breakfast.
14. What does Jack do after he makes all the credit purchases?
(a) He pays it all in full.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He returns everything.
(d) He makes monthly payments.
15. What does Jack do to his family?
(a) He murders them.
(b) He takes them to dinner.
(c) He reunites happily with them.
(d) He takes them out of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
2. On what day of the week does Jessie work?
3. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
4. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
5. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)