|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack do to his family?
(a) He reunites happily with them.
(b) He takes them out of town.
(c) He murders them.
(d) He takes them to dinner.
2. What is the general feeling in town regarding the grain elevator theft?
3. How long had Jack been gone from Holt?
(a) 10 weeks.
(b) 8 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 4 months.
4. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) He needs a vacation.
(b) He wants to move to Denver.
(c) He wants to take a leave of absence.
(d) His marriage is over.
5. When does Nora return home after visiting her father?
(a) She doesn't come home.
(b) She returns in six months.
(c) She returns in a month.
(d) She returns in two weeks.
6. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A hero.
(b) A religious convert.
(c) An outcast.
(d) A pathetic man.
7. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
(a) An abandoned warehouse.
(b) A restaurant.
(d) A church.
8. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) She wanted to be married.
(b) She was lonesome.
(c) She was bored.
(d) Only she knows.
9. How much money have Jack and the bookkeeper managed to steal from the grain elevator over the years?
10. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
(a) He is retarded.
(b) He is insane.
(c) He is innocent.
(d) He is brain damaged.
11. What job does Jessie get?
(a) Waitress at a cafe.
(b) Assistant at the library.
(c) Dental hygienist.
(d) Dancing at a bar.
12. What happens to Pat and Nora's daughter?
(a) She gets married.
(b) She wins a beauty pageant.
(c) She graduates Summa Cum Laude.
(d) She is killed in a car accident.
13. What does the sheriff do when he learns that Jack has kidnapped his family?
(a) Tries to follow his trail.
(b) Issues arrest warrants.
(c) Informs the FBI.
(d) Tries to forget about him.
14. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
(a) The grain elevator.
(b) Jack's apartment.
(c) The church hall.
(d) The diner.
15. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do Pat, Jessie and her boys NOT do on an excursion to Denver?
2. How did the townspeople view Jack's disappearance from town initially?
3. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
4. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
5. What items does Jack buy on credit at Schulte's store?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)