|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Charlie's failed suicide attempt?
(a) He is crippled.
(b) He has a stroke.
(c) He is brain damaged.
(d) He is a paraplegic.
2. What does Jack do to Pat at Jessie's apartment?
(a) Ties him up.
(b) Hits him with a fireplace poker.
(c) Shoots him.
(d) Stabs him.
3. What is Nora's demeanor when Pat visits her at her father's house?
4. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
(a) The statute of limitations on the crime has passed.
(b) Someone has posted his bail.
(c) He has already been tried for the crime and found innocent.
(d) Someone else confessed to the crime.
5. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) His shed.
(b) His basement.
(c) His attic.
(d) His car.
6. What accident does Jessie suffer?
(a) She fell on some ice.
(b) She twisted her ankle.
(c) She wrecked her car.
(d) She strained her back during a move.
7. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
(a) The diner.
(b) The church hall.
(c) Jack's apartment.
(d) The grain elevator.
8. Toward whom will the townspeople direct their anger?
9. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
10. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
(c) Wanda Jo.
11. On what day of the week does Jessie work?
12. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Watching a movie at home.
(b) Getting ready for work.
(c) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(d) Taking a nap.
13. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
(a) Jack Vincent.
(b) Charlie Soames.
(c) Max Harrington.
(d) Steve Marshall.
14. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) Only she knows.
(b) She was lonesome.
(c) She wanted to be married.
(d) She was bored.
15. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
(a) She is tentative toward them.
(b) She embraces all of them.
(c) She chooses a few friends.
(d) She rebuffs them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do after he makes all the credit purchases?
2. What does Jack order Pat to do?
3. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
4. Where does Nora's father live?
5. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)