|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose company does Jessie value most?
(b) Her own.
(c) Wanda Jo's.
2. How does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) He overdoses on drugs.
(b) He inhales car exhaust fumes.
(c) He slits his wrist.
(d) He shoots himself.
3. Where is Jessie working?
(c) The Last Chance Bar.
(d) The Holt Diner.
4. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) His marriage is over.
(b) He wants to take a leave of absence.
(c) He wants to move to Denver.
(d) He needs a vacation.
5. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
(a) They want to ask Jack to run for mayor.
(b) They want to see the kind of woman Jack would marry.
(c) They want to talk about the drought.
(d) They want to talk about grain prices.
6. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
7. What accident does Jessie suffer?
(a) She fell on some ice.
(b) She twisted her ankle.
(c) She strained her back during a move.
(d) She wrecked her car.
8. How did the townspeople view Jack's disappearance from town initially?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They were amused.
(c) They were worried.
(d) They were shocked.
9. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) His car.
(b) His basement.
(c) His attic.
(d) His shed.
10. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The grain elevator.
(c) The prosecutors.
(d) The judge.
11. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
12. What is notable about Jessie's mother?
(a) She is disabled.
(b) She is a paraplegic.
(c) She is deaf.
(d) She is obese.
13. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) She was lonesome.
(b) Only she knows.
(c) She was bored.
(d) She wanted to be married.
14. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
(b) Pack a suitcase.
(c) Give him her money.
(d) Cook breakfast.
15. Who is Pat and Nora's daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack order Pat to do?
2. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
3. What is the general feeling in town regarding the grain elevator theft?
4. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
5. What is Nora's demeanor when Pat visits her at her father's house?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)