|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
(a) To tell him that Jessie is in the hospital.
(b) To tell him that Nora was in a car accident.
(c) To tell him that the golf outing has been cancelled.
(d) To tell him that Jack is back in town.
2. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
(a) Max Harrington.
(b) Jack Vincent.
(c) Steve Marshall.
(d) Charlie Soames.
3. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) A high school principal.
(b) A traveling salesman.
(c) The mayor of Holt.
(d) The former manager of the grain elevator.
4. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
(a) The Holt Journal.
(b) The Holt Mercury.
(c) The Holt Dispatch.
(d) The Holt Gazette.
5. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A pathetic man.
(b) An outcast.
(c) A religious convert.
(d) A hero.
6. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
(a) She embraces all of them.
(b) She chooses a few friends.
(c) She is tentative toward them.
(d) She rebuffs them.
7. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) She was lonesome.
(b) She was bored.
(c) She wanted to be married.
(d) Only she knows.
8. Why does Nora go to visit her father for awhile?
(a) To help him write a book.
(b) To care for him after his surgery.
(c) To just spend time with him.
(d) To help him move.
9. What does Jack order Pat to do?
(a) Stay away from Jessie.
(b) Move to Denver.
(c) Post his bail.
(d) Give him a job.
10. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Getting ready for work.
(b) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(c) Taking a nap.
(d) Watching a movie at home.
11. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's second son?
(d) Robin Egg.
12. What is Jack's only regret about his crime?
(a) Being away from his sons.
(b) The money didn't last long enough.
(c) He can't return to work at the grain elevator.
(d) He can't ever practice law again.
13. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
14. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
(a) The mayor.
(b) The judge.
(c) The prosecutors.
(d) The grain elevator.
15. How can Jessie best be characterized?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's second son?
2. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
3. To whom do the townspeople direct their anger when Charlie Soames is no longer a viable target?
4. Which of the following do Pat, Jessie and her boys NOT do on an excursion to Denver?
5. What message does Jessie publish for the townspeople to read?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)