|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sheriff do when he learns that Jack has kidnapped his family?
(a) Tries to forget about him.
(b) Tries to follow his trail.
(c) Issues arrest warrants.
(d) Informs the FBI.
2. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A church.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
3. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) Only she knows.
(b) She was bored.
(c) She wanted to be married.
(d) She was lonesome.
4. How long had Jack been gone from Holt?
(a) 10 weeks.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 5 years.
5. How old is Pat and Nora's daughter in 1982?
6. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
(a) She chooses a few friends.
(b) She is tentative toward them.
(c) She rebuffs them.
(d) She embraces all of them.
7. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
(a) Pack a suitcase.
(c) Cook breakfast.
(d) Give him her money.
8. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
(a) To tell him that Jack is back in town.
(b) To tell him that Nora was in a car accident.
(c) To tell him that Jessie is in the hospital.
(d) To tell him that the golf outing has been cancelled.
9. Why do the townspeople center their anger about the theft on the bookkeeper?
(a) He has a history of theft.
(b) He is the one who had the idea to steal.
(c) Jack has run away from town.
(d) He is also a minister and should know better than to steal.
10. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Thomas James.
(b) Thomas John.
(c) Thomas Jerald.
(d) Thomas Jared.
11. Why does Nora go to visit her father for awhile?
(a) To care for him after his surgery.
(b) To help him write a book.
(c) To just spend time with him.
(d) To help him move.
12. What items does Jack buy on credit at Schulte's store?
(a) Underwear and socks.
(b) A couple of belts.
(c) An overcoat.
13. What does Jack refuse to talk to Pat about?
(a) His boys.
(b) The embezzlement.
(c) His health.
14. What is Jessie's father's profession?
15. What is Jack's main concern when talking to Pat?
(a) Who is managing the grain elevator.
(b) Pat's relationship with Jessie.
(c) The death of Pat's daughter.
(d) The location of Wanda Jo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose company does Jessie value most?
2. How does Charlie attempt suicide?
3. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
4. Where is Jessie working?
5. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)