|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What accident does Jessie suffer?
(a) She wrecked her car.
(b) She strained her back during a move.
(c) She twisted her ankle.
(d) She fell on some ice.
2. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
(a) She can't find a babysitter for her kids.
(b) She is getting migraine headaches.
(c) She doesn't have a car to drive there.
(d) She is in the late stages of pregnancy.
3. What does Jack order Pat to do?
(a) Give him a job.
(b) Stay away from Jessie.
(c) Move to Denver.
(d) Post his bail.
4. For how long is Doyle Francis to take over at the grain elevator?
(a) Just a year.
(b) Until Jack returns or a replacement can be found.
(c) A few months.
(d) As long as he wants to stay.
5. On what day of the week does Jessie work?
6. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
(a) They want to talk about the drought.
(b) They want to talk about grain prices.
(c) They want to see the kind of woman Jack would marry.
(d) They want to ask Jack to run for mayor.
7. How can Jessie best be characterized?
8. What is the purpose of Jessie's visit to the Hold Mercury office in January of 1977?
(a) To purchase a subscription.
(b) To place an ad for the grain elevator.
(c) To place an ad for her garage sale.
(d) To have a notice printed about Jack.
9. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
(a) Max Harrington.
(b) Steve Marshall.
(c) Jack Vincent.
(d) Charlie Soames.
10. Where is Jessie working?
(a) The Holt Diner.
(d) The Last Chance Bar.
11. How old is Jessie?
12. What is the general feeling in town regarding the grain elevator theft?
13. What is the result of Charlie's failed suicide attempt?
(a) He has a stroke.
(b) He is brain damaged.
(c) He is crippled.
(d) He is a paraplegic.
14. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
(a) He apologizes for hurting them.
(b) He says they are going on vacation.
(c) He threatens them at gunpoint.
(d) He promises them a better life.
15. Who breaks into Jessie's apartment in the middle of the night?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
2. What do most of the townspeople have in common?
3. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
4. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
5. What job does Jessie get?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)