|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can Jessie best be characterized?
2. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Watching a movie at home.
(b) Taking a nap.
(c) Getting ready for work.
(d) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
3. How old is Pat and Nora's daughter in 1982?
4. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
(a) The Holt Gazette.
(b) The Holt Journal.
(c) The Holt Mercury.
(d) The Holt Dispatch.
5. What accident does Jessie suffer?
(a) She fell on some ice.
(b) She strained her back during a move.
(c) She wrecked her car.
(d) She twisted her ankle.
6. On what day of the week does Jessie work?
7. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Thomas James.
(b) Thomas John.
(c) Thomas Jared.
(d) Thomas Jerald.
8. Who takes over for Jack at the grain elevator while he is gone?
(a) Ed Voiles.
(b) Pat Arbuckle.
(c) Doyle Francis.
(d) Denny Strait.
9. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
(a) He apologizes for hurting them.
(b) He says they are going on vacation.
(c) He promises them a better life.
(d) He threatens them at gunpoint.
10. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
(a) He is innocent.
(b) He is brain damaged.
(c) He is retarded.
(d) He is insane.
11. What expensive item does Jack buy on credit at a jewelry store in December of 1976?
(b) Anniversary ring.
(c) Pearl necklace.
(d) Diamond earrings.
12. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
(a) Someone else confessed to the crime.
(b) Someone has posted his bail.
(c) The statute of limitations on the crime has passed.
(d) He has already been tried for the crime and found innocent.
13. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
(a) The prosecutors.
(b) The mayor.
(c) The judge.
(d) The grain elevator.
14. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) A high school principal.
(b) A traveling salesman.
(c) The mayor of Holt.
(d) The former manager of the grain elevator.
15. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
2. Why does Nora go to visit her father for awhile?
3. What is the purpose of Jessie's visit to the Hold Mercury office in January of 1977?
4. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
5. What is Jack's main concern when talking to Pat?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)