|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nora go to visit her father for awhile?
(a) To help him move.
(b) To just spend time with him.
(c) To care for him after his surgery.
(d) To help him write a book.
2. Where does Nora's father live?
(a) San Francisco.
3. What is Jack's main concern when talking to Pat?
(a) Pat's relationship with Jessie.
(b) Who is managing the grain elevator.
(c) The location of Wanda Jo.
(d) The death of Pat's daughter.
4. Who do the townspeople yell at on the street?
(d) Wanda Jo.
5. What happens to Pat and Nora's daughter?
(a) She graduates Summa Cum Laude.
(b) She wins a beauty pageant.
(c) She is killed in a car accident.
(d) She gets married.
6. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
(a) He apologizes for hurting them.
(b) He threatens them at gunpoint.
(c) He says they are going on vacation.
(d) He promises them a better life.
7. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
(a) The statute of limitations on the crime has passed.
(b) He has already been tried for the crime and found innocent.
(c) Someone else confessed to the crime.
(d) Someone has posted his bail.
8. On what day of the week does Jessie work?
9. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
(a) Max Harrington.
(b) Charlie Soames.
(c) Jack Vincent.
(d) Steve Marshall.
10. What do most of the townspeople have in common?
(a) They are Methodists.
(b) They are artists.
(c) They have a share in the grain elevator.
(d) They are Republicans.
11. Why do the townspeople center their anger about the theft on the bookkeeper?
(a) Jack has run away from town.
(b) He is also a minister and should know better than to steal.
(c) He has a history of theft.
(d) He is the one who had the idea to steal.
12. What items does Jack buy on credit at Schulte's store?
(a) Underwear and socks.
(c) A couple of belts.
(d) An overcoat.
13. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A hero.
(b) A religious convert.
(c) A pathetic man.
(d) An outcast.
14. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
(a) A fishing trip in the Bahamas.
(b) Nora's father's house in Denver.
(c) A trip into the mountains.
(d) A bed & breakfast in California.
15. What does Jack do to his family?
(a) He murders them.
(b) He takes them out of town.
(c) He takes them to dinner.
(d) He reunites happily with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Jessie get?
2. How can Jessie best be characterized?
3. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
4. Who makes the decision to not put Charlie on trial?
5. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)