|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Pat and Jessie do on Sundays?
(a) Go to baseball games.
(b) Go to church.
(c) Go on outings with her boys.
(d) Go to a matinee.
2. What does Pat realize when he visits his wife at her father's home?
(a) His marriage is over.
(b) He needs a vacation.
(c) He wants to take a leave of absence.
(d) He wants to move to Denver.
3. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) The mayor of Holt.
(b) The former manager of the grain elevator.
(c) A traveling salesman.
(d) A high school principal.
4. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
(a) Out past the city limits.
(b) To the grain elevator.
(c) To the minister's parsonage.
(d) To his house.
5. How often is Jessie seen in public with Jack?
(a) All the time.
6. Where does Nora's father live?
(c) San Francisco.
7. What is NOT Jack's demeanor when the head of the grain elevator's board visits him in jail?
8. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Tom Tom.
(b) Tommie Boy.
9. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
(a) They want to ask Jack to run for mayor.
(b) They want to talk about grain prices.
(c) They want to see the kind of woman Jack would marry.
(d) They want to talk about the drought.
10. How can Jessie best be characterized?
11. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A pathetic man.
(b) A religious convert.
(c) An outcast.
(d) A hero.
12. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
(a) The Holt Mercury.
(b) The Holt Dispatch.
(c) The Holt Journal.
(d) The Holt Gazette.
13. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Thomas James.
(b) Thomas Jared.
(c) Thomas John.
(d) Thomas Jerald.
14. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
(d) Wanda Jo.
15. How does Jessie compare to the definition of a woman they thought Jack would marry?
(a) She reminds people of his mother.
(b) She is exactly the type they thought she would be.
(c) She is the complete opposite.
(d) She is similar to Wanda Jo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the sheriff do when he learns that Jack has kidnapped his family?
2. What is the purpose of Jessie's visit to the Hold Mercury office in January of 1977?
3. How does Charlie attempt suicide?
4. When does Nora return home after visiting her father?
5. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)