|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
(a) A bed & breakfast in California.
(b) A fishing trip in the Bahamas.
(c) A trip into the mountains.
(d) Nora's father's house in Denver.
2. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's son?
(a) Tom Tom.
(b) Tommie Boy.
3. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
(a) Pack a suitcase.
(c) Cook breakfast.
(d) Give him her money.
4. What does the sheriff do when he learns that Jack has kidnapped his family?
(a) Tries to forget about him.
(b) Informs the FBI.
(c) Issues arrest warrants.
(d) Tries to follow his trail.
5. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A church.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
6. Who takes over for Jack at the grain elevator while he is gone?
(a) Ed Voiles.
(b) Pat Arbuckle.
(c) Doyle Francis.
(d) Denny Strait.
7. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
8. How does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) He slits his wrist.
(b) He shoots himself.
(c) He inhales car exhaust fumes.
(d) He overdoses on drugs.
9. Who is Pat and Nora's daughter?
10. What is Pat doing with Jessie and the boys one night when he receives a call from the sheriff?
(a) Taking a nap.
(b) Eating dinner at a restaurant.
(c) Watching a movie at home.
(d) Getting ready for work.
11. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
(a) The Methodist church.
(b) Her children.
(c) The grain elevator.
(d) Her brother.
12. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's second son?
(c) Robin Egg.
13. What does the grain elevator bookkeeper become in town after the news of the theft?
(a) A hero.
(b) A pathetic man.
(c) A religious convert.
(d) An outcast.
14. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
(a) He promises them a better life.
(b) He apologizes for hurting them.
(c) He threatens them at gunpoint.
(d) He says they are going on vacation.
15. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) She wanted to be married.
(b) Only she knows.
(c) She was lonesome.
(d) She was bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
2. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
3. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's son?
4. Toward whom will the townspeople direct their anger?
5. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)