|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jessie compare to the definition of a woman they thought Jack would marry?
(a) She is similar to Wanda Jo.
(b) She reminds people of his mother.
(c) She is the complete opposite.
(d) She is exactly the type they thought she would be.
2. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) His car.
(b) His shed.
(c) His basement.
(d) His attic.
3. Toward whom will the townspeople direct their anger?
4. Who do the townspeople yell at on the street?
(b) Wanda Jo.
5. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
(a) He is reprimanded.
(b) He is fired.
(c) He is put on probation.
(d) He is arrested.
6. What is notable about Jessie's mother?
(a) She is deaf.
(b) She is obese.
(c) She is a paraplegic.
(d) She is disabled.
7. Who takes over for Jack at the grain elevator while he is gone?
(a) Pat Arbuckle.
(b) Doyle Francis.
(c) Denny Strait.
(d) Ed Voiles.
8. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
(a) The diner.
(b) Jack's apartment.
(c) The grain elevator.
(d) The church hall.
9. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
(a) Out past the city limits.
(b) To the minister's parsonage.
(c) To his house.
(d) To the grain elevator.
10. Who is Doyle Francis?
(a) A high school principal.
(b) A traveling salesman.
(c) The former manager of the grain elevator.
(d) The mayor of Holt.
11. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
(a) He says they are going on vacation.
(b) He promises them a better life.
(c) He threatens them at gunpoint.
(d) He apologizes for hurting them.
12. With whom does Pat become involved romantically?
(a) Wanda Jo.
13. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
(a) Someone else confessed to the crime.
(b) The statute of limitations on the crime has passed.
(c) Someone has posted his bail.
(d) He has already been tried for the crime and found innocent.
14. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
(b) A church.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
15. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) She wanted to be married.
(b) Only she knows.
(c) She was bored.
(d) She was lonesome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Jessie get?
2. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
3. Where does Pat have his meals after Nora leaves him?
4. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
5. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)