|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
(a) An abandoned warehouse.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A church.
2. Toward whom will the townspeople direct their anger?
3. How can Jack best be characterized at the end of the story?
4. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
(a) Max Harrington.
(b) Jack Vincent.
(c) Charlie Soames.
(d) Steve Marshall.
5. Why is Charlie not tried for the grain elevator theft?
(a) He is innocent.
(b) He is retarded.
(c) He is insane.
(d) He is brain damaged.
6. What is Jack's only regret about his crime?
(a) He can't return to work at the grain elevator.
(b) The money didn't last long enough.
(c) He can't ever practice law again.
(d) Being away from his sons.
7. What is the nickname of Jessie and Jack's second son?
(b) Robin Egg.
8. How can Jessie best be characterized?
9. What does Jack force Jessie to do in her apartment?
(a) Pack a suitcase.
(b) Give him her money.
(d) Cook breakfast.
10. What expensive item does Jack buy on credit at a jewelry store in December of 1976?
(b) Anniversary ring.
(c) Pearl necklace.
(d) Diamond earrings.
11. On what day of the week does Jessie work?
12. To whom does Jessie sign over the deed to her house?
(a) The Methodist church.
(b) Her children.
(c) The grain elevator.
(d) Her brother.
13. What is Nora's demeanor when Pat visits her at her father's house?
14. What is the general feeling in town regarding the grain elevator theft?
15. How long had Jack been gone from Holt?
(a) 10 weeks.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 4 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
2. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
3. Where does Charlie attempt suicide?
4. What is Jack's main concern when talking to Pat?
5. How is Jack able to force Jessie and the boys into the car?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)