|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What accident does Jessie suffer?
(a) She strained her back during a move.
(b) She wrecked her car.
(c) She twisted her ankle.
(d) She fell on some ice.
2. What is the general feeling in town regarding the grain elevator theft?
3. Where does Pat go to visit Jack?
(a) A church.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) An abandoned warehouse.
4. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
(a) They want to ask Jack to run for mayor.
(b) They want to talk about the drought.
(c) They want to talk about grain prices.
(d) They want to see the kind of woman Jack would marry.
5. What message does Jessie publish for the townspeople to read?
(a) That Jack has been murdered.
(b) That a search has been scheduled to find Jack.
(c) That she is not responsible for Jack's debts.
(d) That she is divorcing Jack.
6. How did the townspeople view Jack's disappearance from town initially?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They were worried.
(c) They were amused.
(d) They were shocked.
7. What happens to the bookkeeper of the grain elevator when the theft is revealed?
(a) He is put on probation.
(b) He is reprimanded.
(c) He is fired.
(d) He is arrested.
8. Whose company does Jessie value most?
(a) Her own.
(b) Wanda Jo's.
9. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
(a) The statute of limitations on the crime has passed.
(b) Someone has posted his bail.
(c) Someone else confessed to the crime.
(d) He has already been tried for the crime and found innocent.
10. What job does Jessie get?
(a) Dental hygienist.
(b) Assistant at the library.
(c) Dancing at a bar.
(d) Waitress at a cafe.
11. Who do the townspeople yell at on the street?
(d) Wanda Jo.
12. What does Jack do to his family?
(a) He murders them.
(b) He reunites happily with them.
(c) He takes them out of town.
(d) He takes them to dinner.
13. What does Jack order Pat to do?
(a) Move to Denver.
(b) Post his bail.
(c) Give him a job.
(d) Stay away from Jessie.
14. For what reason did Jessie marry Jack?
(a) She wanted to be married.
(b) She was bored.
(c) She was lonesome.
(d) Only she knows.
15. How does Jessie compare to the definition of a woman they thought Jack would marry?
(a) She reminds people of his mother.
(b) She is exactly the type they thought she would be.
(c) She is similar to Wanda Jo.
(d) She is the complete opposite.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Pat and Nora's daughter in 1982?
2. Why does the sheriff call Pat?
3. What is NOT Jack's demeanor when the head of the grain elevator's board visits him in jail?
4. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
5. Toward whom will the townspeople direct their anger?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)