|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which pet in the Burdette household is killed?
2. How does Charlie attempt suicide?
(a) He slits his wrist.
(b) He shoots himself.
(c) He inhales car exhaust fumes.
(d) He overdoses on drugs.
3. What is notable about Jessie's mother?
(a) She is obese.
(b) She is a paraplegic.
(c) She is deaf.
(d) She is disabled.
4. What does Jack order Pat to do?
(a) Give him a job.
(b) Post his bail.
(c) Stay away from Jessie.
(d) Move to Denver.
5. What is Jessie's father's profession?
6. Where do Pat and Jessie decide to take the boys to avoid seeing Jack?
(a) A fishing trip in the Bahamas.
(b) A trip into the mountains.
(c) Nora's father's house in Denver.
(d) A bed & breakfast in California.
7. What does Jack refuse to talk to Pat about?
(a) The embezzlement.
(b) His boys.
(d) His health.
8. How does Jessie react to the people in town who try to befriend her?
(a) She is tentative toward them.
(b) She embraces all of them.
(c) She rebuffs them.
(d) She chooses a few friends.
9. What message does Jessie publish for the townspeople to read?
(a) That she is not responsible for Jack's debts.
(b) That she is divorcing Jack.
(c) That a search has been scheduled to find Jack.
(d) That Jack has been murdered.
10. Where does the sheriff take Jack when he releases him from jail?
(a) To his house.
(b) To the minister's parsonage.
(c) Out past the city limits.
(d) To the grain elevator.
11. What is the name of Jessie and Jack's second son?
12. How did the townspeople view Jack's disappearance from town initially?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They were worried.
(c) They were shocked.
(d) They were amused.
13. Who is the bookkeeper at the grain elevator?
(a) Steve Marshall.
(b) Jack Vincent.
(c) Max Harrington.
(d) Charlie Soames.
14. Why does the prosecutor tell the sheriff that he cannot hold Jack in jail?
(a) He has already been tried for the crime and found innocent.
(b) The statute of limitations on the crime has passed.
(c) Someone else confessed to the crime.
(d) Someone has posted his bail.
15. How many younger siblings does Jessie have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does almost everyone in town go to see Jack's new wife?
2. What makes Jessie's job difficult for her?
3. What is the name of the town's newspaper?
4. Why do so many people congregate upon Jack's return?
5. Where does Nora's father live?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)