|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Pat get a job after college?
(a) A magazine.
(b) His father's newspaper.
(c) A law firm.
(d) A hospital.
2. Who is the character who drives into town at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Phil Thorpe.
(b) Jack Burdette.
(c) Pat Harrison.
(d) John Hall.
3. What does Jack do with the young woman in #88?
(a) He marries her.
(b) He buys her a car.
(c) He gives her a job.
(d) He takes her to Hawaii.
4. Why did Jack become a hero in Holt?
(a) He rescued an old woman from a burning building.
(b) He was a good football player.
(c) He intervened in a robbery attempt.
(d) He did CPR on an accident victim.
5. Why does Pat not see Jack often at college?
(a) He is embarrassed to be seen with him.
(b) They live in different dorms.
(c) Jack is an athlete and Pat is a scholar.
(d) Their schedules conflict.
6. How could the girl in #68 best be characterized?
7. Why does Wanda Jo put up with Jack's poor treatment of her?
(a) She has very low self esteem.
(b) She hopes that he will ask her to marry him.
(c) She doesn't know anyone else she wants to date.
(d) She is bored.
8. What does the sheriff do when he confronts Jack?
(a) Tells him to get out of town.
(b) Shoots him in the leg.
(c) Gives him a ticket for loitering.
(d) Places him under arrest.
9. Who does Jack date when he returns from the Army?
(a) Wanda Jo.
(b) Sallie Ann.
10. Why does Jack move out of his mother's house?
(a) He went to college.
(b) She is too strict.
(c) He wants to live with his girlfriend.
(d) She married a man he doesn't like.
11. What college do Jack and Pat attend?
(a) Duke University.
(b) University of Colorado.
(c) Stanford University.
(d) The Ohio State University.
12. Who is the author of "Where You Once Belonged"?
(a) Kent Harrison.
(b) Kirk Houston.
(c) Kurt Hingham.
(d) Kent Haruf.
13. What is the name of the town where the story takes place?
(a) Hot Springs.
14. Which of the following best describes Jack?
15. Why were Jack's friends not happy with the arrangements of meeting in Jack's room?
(a) The air conditioning was broken.
(b) There was no way to chill the beer.
(c) They weren't allowed to smoke in the house.
(d) There was a midnight curfew for the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the son of the owner of the town's newspaper?
2. What type of relationship does the girl in #75 want with Jack?
3. What does Wanda Jo think is a good sign for her in terms of getting Joe to ask her to marry him?
4. What did the person in #46 find it difficult to do?
5. Who was the girl who agreed to do all of Jack's homework?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)