Part 1: Chapters 1-2
• A man named Jack Burdette drives into downtown Holt, Colorado, and parks his red Cadillac outside a tavern.
• Jack sits in the car for more than an hour before Ralph Bird, owner of the Men's Store notices him and points Jack out to his wife.
• Ralph confronts Jack and then goes to the police station and insists that the deputy call the sheriff.
• When the sheriff arrives, he forces Jack out of the car at gunpoint and places him under arrest even though Jack insists that his lawyer had told him that the statute of limitations has already passed for Jack's crime.
• The sheriff knocks Jack out by hitting him on the back of the head.
• In a flashback, it is revealed that Jack was born to an alcoholic father and an extremely religious mother late in their lives.
• Jack was a big, tough kid...
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)