|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the City of Bright Moonlight formerly named?
2. What does Minli find trapped under ropes in Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Minli ask her father?
4. Where do Dragon and Minli decide that Minli should enter alone in Chapter 16?
5. Where does Minli go to sleep in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions do Minli and Dragon take in Chapters 13 and 14? Why is their passage through the forest blocked?
2. What story does the goldfish ask Ba to tell in Chapter 15? Who is in the story?
3. Why is Fruitless Mountain fruitless, according to Ba? How will it turn green?
4. How do Ma and Ba feel when they discover Minli has left? What do they do?
5. In the King's story in Chapter 23, who had torn a page from the Book of Fortune? What did it say?
6. Describe the Story of the Dragon Gate. What powers does the gate have?
7. Who do Dragon and Minli encounter in the forest in Chapter 16? What does this creature ask?
8. Who does Minli first meet in the City of Bright Moonlight? What news does he relate to her?
9. What does Minli think of the Buffalo Boy's friend when she meets her?
10. What is the moral of the Story of the Paper of Happiness? What does the story make Ma and Ba decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Ma and Ba in the narrative. What qualities does Ba exhibit? How does Ma feel about her place in life? How do Ma and Ba impact Minli's decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Define the literary elements of "exposition" and "rising action." How do these elements help to form the plot line in a literary narrative? How has the level of tension changed in Chapters 21 and 22?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the setting at the beginning of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon? In what country does the narrative take place? Is there an indication of the time period? How is Minli's village described?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)