|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dragon say there is enough of for everyone in the forest?
2. Why does Dragon say he was trapped by the salty river?
3. What does Minli regret about her family?
4. Why is Ma angry at Ba in Chapter 9?
5. What do Ma and Ba carry back into their village in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Dragon and Minli encounter in the forest in Chapter 16? What does this creature ask?
2. What story does the goldfish ask Ba to tell in Chapter 15? Who is in the story?
3. How do Ma and Ba feel when they discover Minli has left? What do they do?
4. Why does the dragon tell Minli he was trapped in Chapter 11? Who trapped him?
5. What is the moral of the Story of the Paper of Happiness? What does the story make Ma and Ba decide?
6. In the King's story in Chapter 23, who had torn a page from the Book of Fortune? What did it say?
7. How did the dragon first come to consciousness?
8. Where does Minli go when she leaves the Village of Fruitless Mountain? What leads her way?
9. If the first level of the book is the plot line of Minli and her family, what is the second level of the narrative?
10. What does Minli lament about her family? What does she do to change it in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary elements of symbolism and metaphor. What are examples of symbolism in the King's story? What are examples of metaphors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the source material or inspiration for the Story of the Paper of Happiness. What is the moral of Ba's story? How does the theme of trust manifest itself in this tale?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative voice and tense of the novel. In what person is Where the Mountain Meets the Moon written? Is it in present tense or past tense? How does this affect the story?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)