|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sharing a room with a cow?
2. Who complains that the kids are working too hard?
3. Where does Mary Call look for a cave?
4. What does Mary Call take from the wall to go after Kiser with?
5. What kind of meat do the Luthers have stored in the house for the winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
2. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
3. How does Devola remind Mary Call of Cosby Luther in this chapter, and how does she respond to it?
4. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
5. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
6. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
7. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
8. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
9. Why can't Mary Call ride home with the Graybeals even though it is raining?
10. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the attitudes of Mr. Connell with Mrs. Connell to the Luthers. Be sure to mention Mrs. Connell's masked intentions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)