|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary Call frustrated with herself after Goldie leaves?
2. How old is Kiser Pease?
3. What does Mary Call think Kiser will do if he finds out Roy Luther is dead?
4. Why does Kiser have to talk through his teeth at the hospital?
5. How are the Luthers preparing for winter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
2. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
3. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
4. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
5. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
6. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
7. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
8. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
9. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
10. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Devola finally decide to marry Kiser Pease? Explain Mary Call's reaction and how her weakness begins to show at that point.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)