|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary pretend to need to buy more of at the store in Chapter 9?
2. What does Mary Call think Kiser will do if he finds out Roy Luther is dead?
3. Who is sharing a room with a cow?
4. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding?
5. How old is Kiser Pease?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
2. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
3. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
4. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
5. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
6. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
7. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
8. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
9. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
10. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
Essay Topic 2
What does it mean for the family when the roof collapses in Chapter 10? Who takes the damage the hardest and what is most frustrating to Mary Call at that point in their life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mary Call and Kiser Pease. How does it evolve throughout the novel?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)