|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign does the family put up outside the house in Chapter 9?
2. How is Romey hurt in Chapter 12?
3. When Roy Luther was alive, what was Thanksgiving like?
4. What kind of weather is happening when Mary Call and Romey refuse the ride home from school in Chapter 9?
5. What happens to Kiser Pease in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
2. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
4. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
5. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
6. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
7. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
8. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
9. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
10. How does Mary Call view education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Mary Call's independence is a central theme to the book. Why is she determined to be independent, and in what ways is she? How does she fail in this in some respects?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)