|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will the Luthers earn their lunches?
2. How is Romey hurt in Chapter 12?
3. What sign does the family put up outside the house in Chapter 9?
4. When Romey and Mary Call return to the house, what do they see outside in Chapter 9?
5. What comes early to Trial Valley in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
2. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
3. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
4. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
5. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
6. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
7. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
8. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
9. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
10. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)