|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets stuck in the mud at the Luther house?
2. Who scolds Romey in Chapter 8?
3. Who sneaks off in the blizzard to talk to Kiser?
4. Why does Mrs. Connell turn around before she gets to the door at her visit at the end of Chapter 9?
5. What is most upsetting about the damage to the house after the snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
2. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
3. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
4. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
5. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
6. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
7. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
8. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
9. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
10. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Roy Luther an example of the price of pride? What does it mean in relation to Kiser's warning about the price of freedom?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
Mary Call's independence is a central theme to the book. Why is she determined to be independent, and in what ways is she? How does she fail in this in some respects?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)