|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Call is so distracted by her conversation with Kiser Pease in Chapter 8 that she forgets what?
2. How long does their winter typically last, according to Chapter 10?
3. How does Kiser feel about the hospital?
4. Why is Kiser angry with this person?
5. Why is Mary Call upset with Romey in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
2. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
3. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
4. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
5. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
6. Why can't Mary Call ride home with the Graybeals even though it is raining?
7. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
8. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
9. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
10. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mary Call and Kiser Pease. How does it evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What does it mean for the family when the roof collapses in Chapter 10? Who takes the damage the hardest and what is most frustrating to Mary Call at that point in their life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)