|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Romey hurt in Chapter 12?
2. Who offers to give the Luther kids a ride home from school in Chapter 9?
3. What takes the snow away?
4. Why does Goldie get angry in Chapter 11 when she visits the Luther house?
5. What kind of reaction does Mary Call give Kiser when he offers to give her money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
2. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
4. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
5. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
6. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
7. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
8. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
9. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
10. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)