|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary Call is so distracted by her conversation with Kiser Pease in Chapter 8 that she forgets what?
2. Mr. Connell is looking for people to do what in November and December?
3. How are the Luthers preparing for winter?
4. What is Goldie Pease astonished to hear in Chapter 11 when she visits the house?
5. What kinds of food are the Luther family getting from the cow in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
2. How does Devola remind Mary Call of Cosby Luther in this chapter, and how does she respond to it?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
4. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
5. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
6. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
7. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
8. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
9. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
10. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of self-reliance in the novel. How is it clearly in Roy Luther? Mary Call? Romey?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Devola finally decide to marry Kiser Pease? Explain Mary Call's reaction and how her weakness begins to show at that point.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)