|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes out in the blizzard to look for the person who went to Kiser?
2. Who gets stuck in the mud at the Luther house?
3. What does the blizzard do to the Luther's food?
4. When Kiser marries Devola, he now knows what?
5. Why is Kiser angry with this person?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
2. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
3. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
4. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
5. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
6. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
7. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
8. Why can't Mary Call ride home with the Graybeals even though it is raining?
9. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
10. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of self-reliance in the novel. How is it clearly in Roy Luther? Mary Call? Romey?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)