|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary Call frustrated with herself after Goldie leaves?
2. What excuse does Mary Call use in Chapter 8 about where her father is?
3. Why is Mary Call upset with Romey in Chapter 12?
4. What does the blizzard do to the Luther's food?
5. What kind of reaction does Mary Call give Kiser when he offers to give her money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
2. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
3. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
4. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
5. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
6. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
7. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
8. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
9. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
10. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what spring symbolizes for Mary Call after a long, rough winter and life in general. How does it give her strength to think about her hopes for the future?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the car for the Luther family and how does it lead to a break down in Mary Call's emotions?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)