|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes early to Trial Valley in Chapter 11?
2. What does Mary Call think Kiser will do if he finds out Roy Luther is dead?
3. What kind of weather is happening when Mary Call and Romey refuse the ride home from school in Chapter 9?
4. What kind of cow does Kiser bring Devola?
5. When Roy Luther was alive, what was Thanksgiving like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
2. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
3. How does Devola remind Mary Call of Cosby Luther in this chapter, and how does she respond to it?
4. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
5. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
6. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
7. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
8. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
9. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
10. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Devola finally decide to marry Kiser Pease? Explain Mary Call's reaction and how her weakness begins to show at that point.
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the car for the Luther family and how does it lead to a break down in Mary Call's emotions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)