|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who admits they were wrong about Devola?
2. What makes the person sharing a room with a cow worry about sharing a room?
3. Who scolds Romey in Chapter 8?
4. Who offers to give the Luther kids a ride home from school in Chapter 9?
5. How long does their winter typically last, according to Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
2. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
4. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
5. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
6. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
7. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
8. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
9. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
10. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what spring symbolizes for Mary Call after a long, rough winter and life in general. How does it give her strength to think about her hopes for the future?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of self-reliance in the novel. How is it clearly in Roy Luther? Mary Call? Romey?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)