|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary Call frustrated with herself after Goldie leaves?
2. Who does the family think has forgotten them?
3. What is Goldie Pease astonished to hear in Chapter 11 when she visits the house?
4. What takes the snow away?
5. What does Kiser say he will build the Luthers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
2. Why can't Mary Call ride home with the Graybeals even though it is raining?
3. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
4. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
5. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
6. How does Devola remind Mary Call of Cosby Luther in this chapter, and how does she respond to it?
7. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
8. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
9. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
10. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the car for the Luther family and how does it lead to a break down in Mary Call's emotions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mary Call and Kiser Pease. How does it evolve throughout the novel?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)