|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not like the new arrangement after Devola and Kiser are married?
2. Who asks Kiser if he wants to get married?
3. Who scolds Romey in Chapter 8?
4. Who gets their teeth fixed?
5. How is Romey hurt in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
2. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
3. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
4. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
5. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
6. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
7. How does Mary Call view education?
8. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
9. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
10. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of self-reliance in the novel. How is it clearly in Roy Luther? Mary Call? Romey?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning of the car for the Luther family and how does it lead to a break down in Mary Call's emotions?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)