|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kiser say he will build the Luthers?
2. Who is Kiser angry with?
3. Who wants Goldie Pease to go over to the Luther's and talk to Roy?
4. Who continues to talk about visiting the Luther house and attempts to in Chapter 9?
5. Who doesn't think they should buy Devola's wedding clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
2. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
3. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
4. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
5. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
6. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
7. How does Devola remind Mary Call of Cosby Luther in this chapter, and how does she respond to it?
8. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
9. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
10. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)