|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Mary Call use in Chapter 8 about where her father is?
2. Where do Kiser and Devola get married?
3. What does the blizzard do to the Luther's food?
4. How is Romey hurt in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Mary Call consider taking her family to live?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what spring symbolizes for Mary Call after a long, rough winter and life in general. How does it give her strength to think about her hopes for the future?
Essay Topic 3
Mary Call's independence is a central theme to the book. Why is she determined to be independent, and in what ways is she? How does she fail in this in some respects?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)