|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who scolds Romey in Chapter 8?
2. Who gets stuck in the mud at the Luther house?
3. How old is Kiser Pease?
4. Who goes out in the blizzard to look for the person who went to Kiser?
5. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
2. How does Mary Call view education?
3. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
4. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
5. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
6. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
7. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
8. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
9. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
10. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Call's independence is a central theme to the book. Why is she determined to be independent, and in what ways is she? How does she fail in this in some respects?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of self-reliance in the novel. How is it clearly in Roy Luther? Mary Call? Romey?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)