|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is making roping for holiday decorations?
2. Who offers to give the Luther kids a ride home from school in Chapter 9?
3. Where does Mary Call look for a cave?
4. What is the principal of the school's name?
5. Who does the family think has forgotten them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
2. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
4. How does Devola remind Mary Call of Cosby Luther in this chapter, and how does she respond to it?
5. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
6. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
7. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
8. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
9. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
10. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mary Call feel about living in the mountains and the perception of her family? Are some of the stereotypes of mountain people true of the Luthers? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)