|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the person sharing a room with a cow worry about sharing a room?
2. How else does the blizzard affect the Luther house?
3. How long does their winter typically last, according to Chapter 10?
4. Who is sent to crash the alone time between Kiser and Devola?
5. When Romey and Mary Call return to the house, what do they see outside in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
2. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
3. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
4. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
5. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
6. Why can't Mary Call ride home with the Graybeals even though it is raining?
7. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
8. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
9. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
10. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Devola finally decide to marry Kiser Pease? Explain Mary Call's reaction and how her weakness begins to show at that point.
Essay Topic 3
How does Mary Call feel about living in the mountains and the perception of her family? Are some of the stereotypes of mountain people true of the Luthers? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)