|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sharing a room with a cow?
2. Where do Kiser and Devola get married?
3. Who is making roping for holiday decorations?
4. Why is Kiser angry with this person?
5. When does the weather change in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
2. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
3. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
4. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
5. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
6. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
7. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
8. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
9. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
10. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Devola finally decide to marry Kiser Pease? Explain Mary Call's reaction and how her weakness begins to show at that point.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)