|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sees Mary on the way to the hospital and offers her a ride?
2. How does Kiser feel about the hospital?
3. What does Mary pretend to need to buy more of at the store in Chapter 9?
4. Who complains that the kids are working too hard?
5. Who admits they were wrong about Devola?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
2. How does Mary Call view education?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
4. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
5. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
6. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
7. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
8. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
9. How does Devola remind Mary Call of Cosby Luther in this chapter, and how does she respond to it?
10. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning of the car for the Luther family and how does it lead to a break down in Mary Call's emotions?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)