|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws out Mrs. Connell's candy?
2. What do the Luthers discover about wildcrafting?
3. The person who plans to visit Roy Luther in Chapter 5 says she will bring ___________ to the house.
4. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
5. Who brings over a car to the Luther household?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
2. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
3. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
4. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
5. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
6. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
7. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
8. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
9. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
10. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of self-reliance in the novel. How is it clearly in Roy Luther? Mary Call? Romey?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mary Call feel about living in the mountains and the perception of her family? Are some of the stereotypes of mountain people true of the Luthers? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)