|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to visit Roy Luther in Chapter 5?
2. When he is sick, who does Kiser mistake Mary Call for?
3. Who loses their temper in Chapter 7 when things go wrong?
4. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
5. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
2. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
3. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
4. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
5. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
6. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
7. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
8. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
9. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
10. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 2
How is Roy Luther an example of the price of pride? What does it mean in relation to Kiser's warning about the price of freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)