Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her parents died, who did Mrs. Connell live with?
2. What does Romey daydream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
3. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
4. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
5. While Kiser is sick, what do the Luther children enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
2. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
4. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
5. How does wildcrafting help the Luther family?
6. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
7. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
8. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
9. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
10. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
Essay Topic 1
What does it mean for the family when the roof collapses in Chapter 10? Who takes the damage the hardest and what is most frustrating to Mary Call at that point in their life?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)