|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how much money does the Luther family have in their money box?
2. Who brings over a car to the Luther household?
3. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
4. What does Ima Dean want to buy herself with the money from wildcrafting?
5. Who loses their temper in Chapter 7 when things go wrong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
2. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
3. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
4. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
5. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
6. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
7. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
8. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
9. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
10. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what spring symbolizes for Mary Call after a long, rough winter and life in general. How does it give her strength to think about her hopes for the future?
Essay Topic 3
What is Mary Call's view on education and her family?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)