|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the Luthers play with the car for two days?
2. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser Pease?
3. What does Ima Dean want to buy herself with the money from wildcrafting?
4. What happens when Romey becomes upset in Chapter 6?
5. How has Mr. Connell treated the Luthers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
2. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
3. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
4. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
5. In what ways have the Luther family's lives returned to normal?
6. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
7. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
8. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
9. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
10. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Call's independence is a central theme to the book. Why is she determined to be independent, and in what ways is she? How does she fail in this in some respects?
Essay Topic 2
How is Roy Luther an example of the price of pride? What does it mean in relation to Kiser's warning about the price of freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)