|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how much money does the Luther family have in their money box?
2. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
3. What kind of animal appears during Roy Luther's burial?
4. What is one thing that is dangerous about the mountains during wildcrafting?
5. Romey wants to give his father a grand funeral like whose?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
2. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
3. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
4. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
5. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
6. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
7. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
8. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
9. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
10. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mary Call feel about living in the mountains and the perception of her family? Are some of the stereotypes of mountain people true of the Luthers? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)