|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "wild gold"?
2. Which character is on their deathbed?
3. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
4. Romey wants to give his father a grand funeral like whose?
5. Who takes the goldenseal to Mr. Connell in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
2. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
3. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
4. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
5. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
6. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
7. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
8. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
9. How is the Thanksgiving dinner and their situation in general wearing on Mary Call in this chapter?
10. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
Essay Topic 1
How does Mary Call feel about living in the mountains and the perception of her family? Are some of the stereotypes of mountain people true of the Luthers? In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is Roy Luther an example of the price of pride? What does it mean in relation to Kiser's warning about the price of freedom?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)