|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Luthers discover about wildcrafting?
2. What does Kiser Pease give Devola in Chapter 7?
3. Who brings over a car to the Luther household?
4. What is the name of Cosby Luther's book that Mary Call goes to find in Chapter 3?
5. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
2. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
3. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
4. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
5. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
6. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
7. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
8. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
9. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
10. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
Essay Topic 3
Describe two examples of Mary Call's major decisions in the book that affect the entire family but are made entirely on her own.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)