|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
2. How many promises has Mary Call made to her father?
3. Who tells Mary Call that he knows how to drive?
4. Who loses their temper in Chapter 7 when things go wrong?
5. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
2. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
3. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
4. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
5. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
6. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
7. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
8. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
9. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
10. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe two examples of Mary Call's major decisions in the book that affect the entire family but are made entirely on her own.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mary Call and Kiser Pease. How does it evolve throughout the novel?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)