|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the general store?
2. What are the "wild gold"?
3. Why is Mary putting off the trip to the store?
4. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
5. Who takes Roy Luther up to the grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
2. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
3. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
4. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
5. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
6. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
7. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
8. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
9. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
10. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the attitudes of Mr. Connell with Mrs. Connell to the Luthers. Be sure to mention Mrs. Connell's masked intentions.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
What is Mary Call's view on education and her family?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)