|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mary putting off the trip to the store?
2. Who takes the goldenseal to Mr. Connell in Chapter 5?
3. After Roy Luther gets sick, what happens to his body?
4. When he is sick, who does Kiser mistake Mary Call for?
5. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
2. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
3. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
4. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
5. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
6. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
7. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
8. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
9. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
10. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the car for the Luther family and how does it lead to a break down in Mary Call's emotions?
Essay Topic 3
What is Mary Call's view on education and her family?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)