|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
2. What is the name of Mary Call's mother?
3. When they get to Roy Luther's grave site, what do Romey and Mary Call discover?
4. Who takes Roy Luther up to the grave?
5. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
2. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
3. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
4. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
5. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
6. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
7. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
8. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
9. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
10. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 2
How is Roy Luther an example of the price of pride? What does it mean in relation to Kiser's warning about the price of freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)