|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
2. Who throws out Mrs. Connell's candy?
3. Who takes Roy Luther up to the grave?
4. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
5. What does Mary Call tell the children about Kiser Pease's warning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
2. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
3. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
4. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
5. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
6. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
7. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
8. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
9. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
10. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Mary Call Luther and Devola Luther. In what ways are they different? In what ways are they alike? How does their relationship change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the car for the Luther family and how does it lead to a break down in Mary Call's emotions?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)