|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
2. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
3. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
4. What is Mary Call's opinion about Roy Luther and wildcrafting?
5. When Kiser comes out after speaking to Roy Luther, what is his attitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
2. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
3. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
4. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
5. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
6. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
7. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
8. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
9. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
10. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the attitudes of Mr. Connell with Mrs. Connell to the Luthers. Be sure to mention Mrs. Connell's masked intentions.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)