|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the midst of the breakdown, who is attacked by hornets?
2. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
3. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
4. Who is the oldest sister in the Luther family?
5. What is one thing that is dangerous about the mountains during wildcrafting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
2. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
3. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
4. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
5. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
6. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
7. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
8. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
9. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
10. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe two examples of Mary Call's major decisions in the book that affect the entire family but are made entirely on her own.
Essay Topic 2
What is Mary Call's view on education and her family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)