|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The person who plans to visit Roy Luther in Chapter 5 says she will bring ___________ to the house.
2. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
3. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
4. What does Mary Call Luther's family do for a living?
5. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
2. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
3. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
4. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
5. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
6. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
7. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
8. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
9. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
10. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mary Call and Kiser Pease. How does it evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Call's independence is a central theme to the book. Why is she determined to be independent, and in what ways is she? How does she fail in this in some respects?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)