|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the goldenseal to Mr. Connell in Chapter 5?
2. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
3. Why does Roy Luther refuse to see a doctor?
4. The Luthers mistake goldenseal for what?
5. Who died years before the novel begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
2. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
3. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
4. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
5. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
6. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
7. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
8. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
9. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
10. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what spring symbolizes for Mary Call after a long, rough winter and life in general. How does it give her strength to think about her hopes for the future?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean for the family when the roof collapses in Chapter 10? Who takes the damage the hardest and what is most frustrating to Mary Call at that point in their life?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)