|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they find Kiser Pease in Chapter 2?
2. In the midst of the breakdown, who is attacked by hornets?
3. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
4. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
5. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
2. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
3. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
4. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
5. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
6. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
7. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
8. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
9. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
10. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does Mary Call feel about living in the mountains and the perception of her family? Are some of the stereotypes of mountain people true of the Luthers? In what ways are they different?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)