Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After her parents died, who did Mrs. Connell live with?
2. What does Romey daydream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
3. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
4. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
5. While Kiser is sick, what do the Luther children enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
2. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
4. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
5. How does wildcrafting help the Luther family?
6. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
7. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
8. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
9. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
10. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the attitudes of Mr. Connell with Mrs. Connell to the Luthers. Be sure to mention Mrs. Connell's masked intentions.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of self-reliance in the novel. How is it clearly in Roy Luther? Mary Call? Romey?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)