|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
2. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
3. What does Ima Dean want to buy herself with the money from wildcrafting?
4. In the midst of the breakdown, who is attacked by hornets?
5. What do they say to their father's body before they leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
2. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
3. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
4. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
5. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
6. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
7. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
8. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
9. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
10. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 3
What does it mean for the family when the roof collapses in Chapter 10? Who takes the damage the hardest and what is most frustrating to Mary Call at that point in their life?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)