|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kiser Pease give Devola in Chapter 7?
2. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
3. Mary Call has promised not to take Roy Luther where after his death?
4. After her parents died, who did Mrs. Connell live with?
5. Romey says he once stole whose car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
2. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
3. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
4. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
5. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
6. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
7. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
8. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
9. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
10. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
Essay Topic 2
What does it mean for the family when the roof collapses in Chapter 10? Who takes the damage the hardest and what is most frustrating to Mary Call at that point in their life?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)