|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the Luthers play with the car for two days?
2. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
3. Who takes Roy Luther up to the grave?
4. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
5. Who died years before the novel begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
2. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
3. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
4. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
5. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
6. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
7. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
8. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
9. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
10. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the attitudes of Mr. Connell with Mrs. Connell to the Luthers. Be sure to mention Mrs. Connell's masked intentions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what spring symbolizes for Mary Call after a long, rough winter and life in general. How does it give her strength to think about her hopes for the future?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)