|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how much money does the Luther family have in their money box?
2. What does Mary Call say about Roy Luther in Chapter 7 to Kiser Pease?
3. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
4. What does Mary Call Luther's family do for a living?
5. Where does Mary Call find Cosby Luther's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
2. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
3. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
4. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
5. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
6. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
7. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
8. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
9. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
10. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do Mary Call's promises to her father on his deathbed make her life more difficult?
Essay Topic 2
What does it mean for the family when the roof collapses in Chapter 10? Who takes the damage the hardest and what is most frustrating to Mary Call at that point in their life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Roy Luther's burial and how it turned out exactly as he wished. Be sure to note the promises that didn't turn out.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)