|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Romey tell Mr. Connell he will do if he encounters snakes?
2. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
3. Which character is on their deathbed?
4. What are the conditions outside when Roy Luther is taken up to the mountain to be buried?
5. After her parents died, who did Mrs. Connell live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
2. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
3. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
4. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
5. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
6. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
7. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
8. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
9. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
10. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Roy Luther an example of the price of pride? What does it mean in relation to Kiser's warning about the price of freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Mary Call Luther and Devola Luther. In what ways are they different? In what ways are they alike? How does their relationship change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the attitudes of Mr. Connell with Mrs. Connell to the Luthers. Be sure to mention Mrs. Connell's masked intentions.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)