|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Romey becomes upset in Chapter 6?
2. How many promises has Mary Call made to her father?
3. What is one thing that is dangerous about the mountains during wildcrafting?
4. What does Kiser Pease rant about when he is sick and Mary is taking care of him?
5. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser Pease?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
2. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
3. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
4. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
5. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
6. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
7. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
8. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
9. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
10. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Devola finally decide to marry Kiser Pease? Explain Mary Call's reaction and how her weakness begins to show at that point.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the attitudes of Mr. Connell with Mrs. Connell to the Luthers. Be sure to mention Mrs. Connell's masked intentions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mary Call's frustration with herself in Chapter 11 when Goldie comes to visit the Luthers. Why does she get so mad at herself? In what ways do Romey and Mary Call switch roles when this happens?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)