|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
2. What do the Luthers discover about wildcrafting?
3. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
4. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
5. Romey says he once stole whose car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
3. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
4. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
5. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
6. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
7. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
8. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
9. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
10. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe two examples of Mary Call's major decisions in the book that affect the entire family but are made entirely on her own.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Mary Call both sad and proud when Romey, at age 10, goes out into the fields and acts like a man of the house? Explore their relationship to their father in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is Roy Luther an example of the price of pride? What does it mean in relation to Kiser's warning about the price of freedom?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)