|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Call tell Roy Luther in Chapter 5 before he dies?
2. What do the Luthers use the money from the goldenseal for in Chapter 5?
3. Who brings over a car to the Luther household?
4. What does Romey tell Mr. Connell he will do if he encounters snakes?
5. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
2. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
3. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
4. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
5. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
6. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
7. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
8. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
9. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
10. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Devola finally decide to marry Kiser Pease? Explain Mary Call's reaction and how her weakness begins to show at that point.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter One, describe what the scene with the traveler and Mary Call's contrasting comments about the land the Luther family lives on illustrates.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)