|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Roy Luther up to the grave?
2. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
3. Who is the owner of the general store?
4. What do the children think about her wildcrafting idea?
5. What kind of animal appears during Roy Luther's burial?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
2. How does everyone react to the roof issue?
3. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
4. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
5. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
6. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
7. Why is Mary Call somewhat relieved when Kiser Pease is injured?
8. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
9. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
10. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
Essay Topic 1
Describe two examples of Mary Call's major decisions in the book that affect the entire family but are made entirely on her own.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Mary Call and Romey compared to Mary's relationship with the other children in the family. Be sure to give specific examples of tension/stress or moments of tenderness between Romey and Mary Call.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Mary Call accept certain aspects of her life? How does this compare with her concerns about her ignorance and family's place in society? Does she feel she can change that part of the Luther family's life?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)