|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Mary Call use in Chapter 8 about where her father is?
(a) She says he is at a doctor's appointment.
(b) She says he with the Connells.
(c) She says he is sleeping again.
(d) She says she has sent him up to the mountain to dig roots.
2. Who is sharing a room with a cow?
(b) Ima Dean.
(d) Mary Call.
3. When does the weather change in Chapter 10?
(a) At the end of October.
(b) At the end of November.
(c) At the beginning of October.
(d) In December.
4. What kind of reaction does Mary Call give Kiser when he offers to give her money?
(a) Refuses, saying he married Devola, not all them.
(b) Resists, but then eventually accepts.
(c) Gladly accepts.
(d) Accepts, but begins to cry.
5. Who scolds Romey in Chapter 8?
(a) Alma Graybeal.
(b) Miss Breathitt.
(c) Mary Call.
(d) Ima Dean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the family think has forgotten them?
2. How old is Kiser Pease?
3. Who gets their teeth fixed?
4. Who is making roping for holiday decorations?
5. How is Romey hurt in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call decide to marry Kiser Pease? What does she think will happen?
2. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
3. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
4. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
5. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
6. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
7. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
8. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
9. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
10. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)