|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mary Call frustrated with herself after Goldie leaves?
(a) She is mad at Romey.
(b) She is mad Goldie found out about Roy Luther.
(c) She is mad at Ima Dean.
(d) She is mad that she didn't realize the deal wasn't legal.
2. What is most upsetting about the damage to the house after the snow?
(a) The animals were killed.
(b) Their mother's rocking chair is ruined.
(c) Just the cow was killed.
(d) Their food is gone.
3. Who gets stuck in the mud at the Luther house?
(a) Mary Call.
(b) Goldie Pease.
(d) Kiser Pease.
4. How is Romey hurt in Chapter 12?
(a) His ankle.
(b) His arm.
(c) His back.
(d) His leg.
5. How will the Luthers earn their lunches?
(a) By selling roots to the principal.
(b) By working in the cafeteria.
(c) By doing yard work.
(d) Extra homework.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of food are the Luther family getting from the cow in Chapter 9?
2. Who gets their teeth fixed?
3. When Roy Luther was alive, what was Thanksgiving like?
4. What does Mary pretend to need to buy more of at the store in Chapter 9?
5. What is the reaction when Kiser rejects a marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
2. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
3. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
4. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
5. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
6. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
7. Why do you think Mary Call refuses Kiser's offer of money?
8. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
9. Explain what the coming of the early spring could symbolize for the Luther family and what it means when it is quickly taken away.
10. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)