|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of meat do the Luthers have stored in the house for the winter?
(c) Beef jerky.
(d) Salted pork.
2. Who sees Mary on the way to the hospital and offers her a ride?
(a) Mrs. Connell.
(b) Kiser Pease.
(c) Goldie Pease.
(d) Mr. Connell.
3. Who does not like the new arrangement after Devola and Kiser are married?
(a) Roy Luther.
(b) Mary Call.
(d) Ima Dean.
4. What makes the person sharing a room with a cow worry about sharing a room?
(a) The cow's toilet habits.
(b) His milking habits.
(c) His smell.
(d) His size.
5. What happens to the house after it snows?
(a) Part of their roof gives out.
(b) It gets drafty.
(c) The house entirely collapses.
(d) It gets warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Romey and Mary Call return to the house, what do they see outside in Chapter 9?
2. Who sneaks off in the blizzard to talk to Kiser?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding?
4. What is Kiser like when Mary Call sees him at the hospital?
5. Who talks violently about Kiser Pease?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
2. Is Kiser Pease going to take care of the Luthers?
3. Why doesn't Mary Call want Devola to marry Kiser Pease?
4. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
5. Why can't Mary Call ride home with the Graybeals even though it is raining?
6. How does the blizzard take its toll on the Luthers?
7. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
8. Once again, how do the other family members take out their frustration on Mary?
9. Explain why Mary Call is worried when Kiser takes Devola off to get her license.
10. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)