|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mary Call is so distracted by her conversation with Kiser Pease in Chapter 8 that she forgets what?
(a) To buy supplies.
(b) To ask for a ride into town to register for school.
(c) To feed the kids breakfast.
(d) To lie to Kiser.
2. When Roy Luther was alive, what was Thanksgiving like?
(a) They had plenty to eat both that day and the day after.
(b) They never had enough to eat on Thanksgiving.
(c) They would stuff themselves, then starve the next day.
(d) They didn't celebrate Thanksgiving.
3. Where does Mary Call look for a cave?
(a) Sugar Boy.
(b) Old Joshua.
(c) The Witch's keyhole.
(d) Near the Graybeals.
4. What is Goldie Pease astonished to hear in Chapter 11 when she visits the house?
(a) That the Luthers now own the house.
(b) That Devola might marry Kiser.
(c) That Roy Luther is dead.
(d) That the Luthers do wildcrafting.
5. Who sneaks off in the blizzard to talk to Kiser?
(a) Ima Dean.
(b) Mary Call.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kiser feel about the hospital?
2. Why is Mary Call upset with Romey in Chapter 12?
3. What still angers Mary Call about Kiser Pease in Chapter 12?
4. What is the reaction when Kiser rejects a marriage proposal?
5. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
2. How does Mary think the younger kids see her?
3. How is Goldie able to take the house from the Luthers?
4. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
5. Compare and contrast the characters of Goldie Pease and Kiser Pease.
6. How do the Luthers prepare for winter?
7. Why doesn't Mary Call try to stop the wedding between Devola and Kiser Pease?
8. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
9. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
10. How do Romey and Mary Call switch roles in this chapter?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)