|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary Call tell the children about Kiser Pease's warning?
(a) He warned them not to take help from the county.
(b) He wished them bad luck.
(c) He said freedom comes at a price.
(d) He said they were doomed.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how much money does the Luther family have in their money box?
3. While Kiser is sick, what do the Luther children enjoy?
(a) His bed.
(b) His food.
(c) His house.
(d) His car.
4. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
5. How many promises has Mary Call made to her father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Luther family's neighbor?
2. The person who plans to visit Roy Luther in Chapter 5 says she will bring ___________ to the house.
3. When he is sick, who does Kiser mistake Mary Call for?
4. Who throws out Mrs. Connell's candy?
5. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
2. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
3. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
4. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
5. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
6. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
7. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
8. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
9. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
10. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)