|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Luthers use the money from the goldenseal for in Chapter 5?
(a) A car.
(b) A present for their father.
(c) A book.
(d) Supplies and drinks for Romey and Ima Dean.
2. Who has a witch's keyhole in his chimney?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Roy Luther.
(c) The traveler.
(d) Mr. Connell.
3. Who died years before the novel begins?
(a) Mary Call's mother.
(b) Devola Luther.
(c) Kiser Pease.
(d) Kiser Pease's mother.
4. What does Mary Call Luther's family do for a living?
(c) Run a bed and breakfast.
(d) Own a store.
5. After Roy Luther gets sick, what happens to his body?
(a) He can no longer walk.
(b) He can no longer speak.
(c) He must be fed by one of his children.
(d) He loses his hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Romey's response to Mrs. Connell's description of her childhood?
2. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
3. What happens when Mary Call wraps Kiser in the onions?
4. What do the Luthers discover about wildcrafting?
5. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
2. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
3. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
4. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
5. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
6. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
7. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
8. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
9. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
10. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)