|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices that Roy Luther is not in the house when the children are gone?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Mr. Connell.
(c) Mrs. Connell.
(d) Kiser Pease.
2. Romey says what about the burial on the way back home?
(a) The burial made him angry.
(b) Mary Call made the wrong choice.
(c) That he thinks it was decent.
(d) It was not ever going to be good enough.
3. What does Mary Call say about Roy Luther in Chapter 7 to Kiser Pease?
(a) He has died.
(b) He is sleeping late.
(c) He is eating his breakfast.
(d) She is not allowing visitors.
4. Where do they find Kiser Pease in Chapter 2?
(a) Passed out in bed.
(b) Sitting in his chair unresponsive.
(c) Lying on the floor of the kitchen.
(d) Passed out on the davenport.
5. What are the "wild gold"?
(a) Flowers on the mountain.
(b) Plants of the Appalachians.
(c) Cascade Mountain plants.
(d) Smoky Mountain flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the children think about her wildcrafting idea?
2. What happens when Mary Call wraps Kiser in the onions?
3. What does Romey daydream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
4. Why is Mary putting off the trip to the store?
5. Who takes the goldenseal to Mr. Connell in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
2. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
3. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
4. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
5. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
6. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
7. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
8. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
9. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
10. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)