|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Romey wants to give his father a grand funeral like whose?
(b) A king.
(c) Mrs. Connells' parents.
(d) The mayor.
2. What kind of animal appears during Roy Luther's burial?
(a) A songbird.
(c) A raven.
(d) A rattlesnake.
3. Who at the store looks down on the Luthers and does not like them?
(a) Mrs. Connell.
(b) Mr. Connell.
(c) A young worker.
(d) The stock boy.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how much money does the Luther family have in their money box?
5. What happens when Romey tries to teach Mary Call how to drive?
(a) She does excellent.
(b) Devola starts to cry.
(c) She backs into their fence.
(d) They get into a huge fight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
2. What is Devola's reaction when she hears of her father's death?
3. What do the children think about her wildcrafting idea?
4. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
5. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
2. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
3. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
4. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
5. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
6. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
7. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
8. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
9. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
10. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)