|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is sick, who does Kiser mistake Mary Call for?
(a) His father.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
2. What does Mary Call Luther's family do for a living?
(a) Own a store.
(b) Run a bed and breakfast.
3. The Luthers mistake goldenseal for what?
4. What does Mary Call tell the children about Kiser Pease's warning?
(a) He said freedom comes at a price.
(b) He warned them not to take help from the county.
(c) He said they were doomed.
(d) He wished them bad luck.
5. What do the Luthers use the money from the goldenseal for in Chapter 5?
(a) Supplies and drinks for Romey and Ima Dean.
(b) A car.
(c) A book.
(d) A present for their father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Call say about Roy Luther in Chapter 7 to Kiser Pease?
2. What happens after the Luthers play with the car for two days?
3. What happens when Romey becomes upset in Chapter 6?
4. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
5. While Kiser is sick, what do the Luther children enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
2. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
3. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
4. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
5. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
6. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
7. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
8. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
9. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
10. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)