|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
(a) His respect.
(b) His friendship.
(c) His love.
(d) A paper saying the land is theirs free and clear.
2. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
(c) Ima Dean.
(d) Kiser Pease.
3. Who has a witch's keyhole in his chimney?
(a) Mr. Connell.
(b) Roy Luther.
(c) Kiser Pease.
(d) The traveler.
4. What is Devola's reaction when she hears of her father's death?
(a) She begins yelling.
(b) She cries.
(c) She screams.
(d) She is silent.
5. How many promises has Mary Call made to her father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
2. What happens when Mary Call wraps Kiser in the onions?
3. The Luthers mistake goldenseal for what?
4. What happens before Romey and Mary Call bury Roy Luther and pray?
5. Who drives circles in the front yard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
2. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
3. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
4. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
5. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
6. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
7. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
8. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
9. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
10. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)