|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mary Call find Cosby Luther's book?
(a) At Kiser Pease's house.
(b) In Roy Luther's room.
(c) Outside on the mountain.
(d) In Ima Dean's room.
2. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
(a) What they need at home.
(b) Her father's health.
(c) How much money they have.
(d) Romey's age.
3. Who at the store looks down on the Luthers and does not like them?
(a) A young worker.
(b) Mr. Connell.
(c) Mrs. Connell.
(d) The stock boy.
4. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
(a) Fry onions to wrap him in and get out the fever.
(b) Make a cold compress.
(c) Cook him soup.
(d) Take his temperature.
5. The Luthers mistake goldenseal for what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Romey's response to Mrs. Connell's description of her childhood?
2. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
3. Who is the Luther family's neighbor?
4. What happens when Mary Call wraps Kiser in the onions?
5. What do the Luthers discover about wildcrafting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
2. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
3. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
4. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
5. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
6. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
7. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
8. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
9. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
10. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)