|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two sisters do for money in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Gather nuts and berries.
(b) Work at the general store.
(c) Sell water to travelers.
(d) Gather witch hazel.
2. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
(b) Roy Luther.
(c) Mary Call.
3. What do the children think about her wildcrafting idea?
(a) They all begin to clap.
(b) Romey wonders why they haven't done it before.
(c) Ima Dean gets angry.
(d) Romey begins to cry.
4. What happens before Romey and Mary Call bury Roy Luther and pray?
(a) They decide not to say anything.
(b) They can't help but say bad things about him.
(c) They say nice things about him.
(d) They cry.
5. Who does Mary Call tell not to listen at the door when Kiser is in with Roy Luther?
(b) Ima Dean.
(d) Mr. Connell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
2. Mary Call has promised not to take Roy Luther where after his death?
3. What idea do the children come up with after their father's death to keep people away?
4. Who takes the goldenseal to Mr. Connell in Chapter 5?
5. What does Romey tell Mr. Connell he will do if he encounters snakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
2. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
3. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
4. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
5. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
6. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
7. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
8. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
9. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
10. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)