|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary Call's opinion about Roy Luther and wildcrafting?
(a) She secretly thinks he was too proud to do it.
(b) She thinks he wasn't good at it.
(c) She tells the children he refused to do it.
(d) She doesn't know what to think.
2. Who notices that Roy Luther is not in the house when the children are gone?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Kiser Pease.
(c) Mrs. Connell.
(d) Mr. Connell.
3. Who loses their temper in Chapter 7 when things go wrong?
(a) Mary Call.
(b) Ima Dean.
(d) Kiser Pease.
4. Where does Mary Call find Cosby Luther's book?
(a) At Kiser Pease's house.
(b) In Roy Luther's room.
(c) In Ima Dean's room.
(d) Outside on the mountain.
5. What is one thing that is dangerous about the mountains during wildcrafting?
(a) Other wildcrafters.
(b) The terrain.
(c) The large animals.
(d) The poisonous flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Luthers use the money from the goldenseal for in Chapter 5?
2. What are the conditions outside when Roy Luther is taken up to the mountain to be buried?
3. What does Ima Dean want to buy herself with the money from wildcrafting?
4. Romey says he once stole whose car?
5. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
2. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
3. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
4. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
5. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
6. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
7. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
8. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
9. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
10. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)