|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
(a) Take his temperature.
(b) Cook him soup.
(c) Make a cold compress.
(d) Fry onions to wrap him in and get out the fever.
2. What happens when Romey becomes upset in Chapter 6?
(a) He tells Mary Call how much he loves her as his big sister.
(b) He tells Mary Call he hates her.
(c) Romey is quiet and doesn't talk.
(d) He says that he hated their father.
3. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
(a) Selling the house.
(b) Leaving her siblings to the county and leaving.
(c) Marrying Kiser Pease.
(d) Telling someone her father is dead.
4. What does Mary Call tell Roy Luther in Chapter 5 before he dies?
(a) That they are all going to be fine so he should not worry.
(b) That she is scared.
(c) That she needs him to stay alive.
(d) That the Connells are coming to visit.
5. Who takes Roy Luther up to the grave?
(a) Mr. Connell.
(b) Kiser Pease.
(c) Mary Call and Romey.
(d) Just Romey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
2. Who takes the goldenseal to Mr. Connell in Chapter 5?
3. How many promises has Mary Call made to her father?
4. What are the "wild gold"?
5. What does Ima Dean want to buy herself with the money from wildcrafting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
2. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
3. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
4. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
5. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
6. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
7. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
8. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
9. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
10. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)