|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
(a) Make a cold compress.
(b) Take his temperature.
(c) Fry onions to wrap him in and get out the fever.
(d) Cook him soup.
2. What does Kiser Pease give Devola in Chapter 7?
(a) A horse.
(b) A pig.
(c) A flower.
(d) A ring.
3. What is one thing that is dangerous about the mountains during wildcrafting?
(a) The poisonous flowers.
(b) The terrain.
(c) The large animals.
(d) Other wildcrafters.
4. Who tells Mary Call that he knows how to drive?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Ima Dean.
5. Which character is on their deathbed?
(a) Roy Luther.
(b) Devola Luther.
(c) Mary Call Luther.
(d) Kiser Pease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roy Luther refuse to see a doctor?
2. When Mary Call sees a figure outside one night, who does she think it is?
3. What happens when Romey tries to teach Mary Call how to drive?
4. Who is the owner of the general store?
5. Why is Mary putting off the trip to the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Connell tell the children about their father? Do you think Mary Call agrees?
2. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
3. When Chapter 15 opens, how is Mary Call feeling?
4. What is most upsetting to the family about the roof?
5. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
6. Why does Mary Call chastise Romey in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Mary Call get upset with Romey in Chapter 12? Be sure to note how pride factors into this.
8. What are the promises that Mary Call makes to her father?
9. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
10. Why doesn't Mary Call think it's a good idea to have friends at school?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)