|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices that Roy Luther is not in the house when the children are gone?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Mrs. Connell.
(c) The doctor.
(d) Mr. Connell.
2. What is Romey's response to Mrs. Connell's description of her childhood?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He feels sorry for her.
(c) He wishes they were in her situation.
(d) He says he would have run away if he were her.
3. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
(a) Romey's age.
(b) What they need at home.
(c) Her father's health.
(d) How much money they have.
4. What does Romey tell Mr. Connell he will do if he encounters snakes?
(a) Run away.
(b) Kick them in the behind.
(c) Proceed cautiously.
(d) Catch them with a net.
5. What are the conditions outside when Roy Luther is taken up to the mountain to be buried?
(a) It is dark and foggy.
(b) Cold and rainy.
(c) Sunny and warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives circles in the front yard?
2. What are the "wild gold"?
3. When he is sick, who does Kiser mistake Mary Call for?
4. Who plans to visit Roy Luther in Chapter 5?
5. What does Mary Call tell Roy Luther in Chapter 5 before he dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
2. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
3. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
4. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
5. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
6. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser after they find him ill?
7. How does Mary Call try to hide that their father has died from the other children?
8. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
9. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
10. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)