|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea do the children come up with after their father's death to keep people away?
(a) To put up a sign that says "Mad Dog" or "Small Pox."
(b) To run away.
(c) To tell them their father is sleeping.
(d) To live in the woods.
2. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser Pease?
(a) Because he once helped her father.
(b) Because she thinks she can make him do something.
(c) Because she feels bad.
(d) Because she is afraid.
3. Who blatantly argues with Mrs. Connell during this store visit in Chapter 4?
(a) Mr. Connell.
(c) The stock boy.
(d) Mary Call.
4. Who brings over a car to the Luther household?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Mrs. Connell.
(c) Kiser Pease.
(d) Mr. Connell.
5. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(c) Ima Dean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Call Luther's family do for a living?
2. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
3. What happens when Romey tries to teach Mary Call how to drive?
4. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
5. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Romey react when he finds out about his father's death?
2. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
3. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
4. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
5. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
6. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
7. Why do you think Mary Call dreams about marrying Kiser Pease?
8. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
9. Why do you think Devola is silent when she learns of her father's death?
10. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)