|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Romey says what about the burial on the way back home?
(a) Mary Call made the wrong choice.
(b) That he thinks it was decent.
(c) It was not ever going to be good enough.
(d) The burial made him angry.
2. Why does Roy Luther refuse to see a doctor?
(a) Because he is tired of doctor visits.
(b) Because one killed his mother.
(c) Because no doctors live close by.
(d) They made him sick once.
3. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
(b) Roy Luther.
(d) Mary Call.
4. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
(a) What they need at home.
(b) Romey's age.
(c) Her father's health.
(d) How much money they have.
5. When Kiser comes out after speaking to Roy Luther, what is his attitude?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser Pease?
2. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
3. Who does Mary Call tell not to listen at the door when Kiser is in with Roy Luther?
4. What does Romey tell Mr. Connell he will do if he encounters snakes?
5. Who notices that Roy Luther is not in the house when the children are gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are the Connells opposites of each other?
2. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
3. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
4. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
5. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
6. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
7. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
8. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
9. What are the reasons why Mary Call is putting off the trip to the store?
10. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)