|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea do the children come up with after their father's death to keep people away?
(a) To live in the woods.
(b) To put up a sign that says "Mad Dog" or "Small Pox."
(c) To tell them their father is sleeping.
(d) To run away.
2. Why does Roy Luther refuse to see a doctor?
(a) Because one killed his mother.
(b) They made him sick once.
(c) Because he is tired of doctor visits.
(d) Because no doctors live close by.
3. Who died years before the novel begins?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Devola Luther.
(c) Mary Call's mother.
(d) Kiser Pease's mother.
4. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
(a) Cook him soup.
(b) Take his temperature.
(c) Make a cold compress.
(d) Fry onions to wrap him in and get out the fever.
5. What happens when Mary Call wraps Kiser in the onions?
(a) He gets sad.
(b) He begins to sweat.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) He begins to cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
2. The Luthers mistake goldenseal for what?
3. After her parents died, who did Mrs. Connell live with?
4. In the midst of the breakdown, who is attacked by hornets?
5. What does Mary Call Luther's family do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kiser so eager to please the Luthers?
2. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
3. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
4. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
5. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
6. Do you think Kiser is evil deep down inside after seeing his reaction to Roy Luther's condition?
7. Why does Mary Call feel angry during Kiser's visit?
8. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
9. Why does Ima Dean throw out the candy Mrs. Connell gave them?
10. How does Mary Call contradict herself when she tells Romey to leave an IOU?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)