|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Devola's reaction when she hears of her father's death?
(a) She screams.
(b) She is silent.
(c) She begins yelling.
(d) She cries.
2. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
(a) Devola and Mary.
(b) Romey and Devola.
(c) Romey and Mary.
(d) Ima Dean and Devola.
3. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
(b) Rocky Mountains.
(c) Smoky Mountains.
4. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
5. What do the two sisters do for money in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Gather nuts and berries.
(b) Gather witch hazel.
(c) Sell water to travelers.
(d) Work at the general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings over a car to the Luther household?
2. In the midst of the breakdown, who is attacked by hornets?
3. What happens when Romey becomes upset in Chapter 6?
4. What are the conditions outside when Roy Luther is taken up to the mountain to be buried?
5. Who takes the goldenseal to Mr. Connell in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed in Chapter 4 about what Mary Call plans to do if their father dies? Explain how it is revealed.
2. Who is the first person to show up after Roy Luther's death, and how does Mary Call put this person off?
3. Although Kiser is obviously wealthy and Mary knows that, what about him is she not willing to acknowledge?
4. What kind of sickness does Roy Luther likely have that altered the look of his face? What makes you think so?
5. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
6. How is Roy Luther's refusal to see a doctor indicative of stereotypes of mountain people?
7. Devola is the oldest sister of the Luther family, but in what ways does Mary Call take on that roll?
8. What leads up to Mary Call's breakdown with the children in Chapter 7?
9. Is Mary Call using Devola to further the family's situation? Why or why not?
10. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)