|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
(a) Take his temperature.
(b) Cook him soup.
(c) Make a cold compress.
(d) Fry onions to wrap him in and get out the fever.
2. What does Mary Call tell Roy Luther in Chapter 5 before he dies?
(a) That she needs him to stay alive.
(b) That they are all going to be fine so he should not worry.
(c) That she is scared.
(d) That the Connells are coming to visit.
3. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser Pease?
(a) Because she is afraid.
(b) Because he once helped her father.
(c) Because she thinks she can make him do something.
(d) Because she feels bad.
4. Romey says what about the burial on the way back home?
(a) Mary Call made the wrong choice.
(b) It was not ever going to be good enough.
(c) The burial made him angry.
(d) That he thinks it was decent.
5. What are the "wild gold"?
(a) Plants of the Appalachians.
(b) Smoky Mountain flowers.
(c) Cascade Mountain plants.
(d) Flowers on the mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Roy Luther gets sick, what happens to his body?
2. Why is Mary putting off the trip to the store?
3. What is Romey's response to Mrs. Connell's description of her childhood?
4. What is the name of Cosby Luther's book that Mary Call goes to find in Chapter 3?
5. How long does Kiser tell Mary Call they can stay on without charge?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of Mary Call's promises to her father has to do with charity. How is Mary Call similar to her father in this view?
2. What happens when Mary Call tells Kiser in Chapter 3 about the paper he signed?
3. What do Romey and Mary Call realize about their father in burying him?
4. What characteristics does Mary have that are probably the reasons why her father has left her in charge?
5. What are Mary Call's plans for the cave?
6. Describe Mary Call's hospital visit with Kiser Pease.
7. Why do you think Mary Call's worries are mostly gone?
8. Describe how Mrs. Connell is scared away from the Luther house.
9. Describe the continued feud between Mrs. Connell and Romey.
10. In what ways is wildcrafting more difficult than the Luthers thought?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)