|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
(a) Make a cold compress.
(b) Cook him soup.
(c) Fry onions to wrap him in and get out the fever.
(d) Take his temperature.
2. Who is the Luther family's neighbor?
(a) The Connells.
(c) Goldie Pease.
(d) Kiser Pease.
3. What are the conditions outside when Roy Luther is taken up to the mountain to be buried?
(b) Cold and rainy.
(c) Sunny and warm.
(d) It is dark and foggy.
4. Romey wants to give his father a grand funeral like whose?
(a) A king.
(c) Mrs. Connells' parents.
(d) The mayor.
5. What does Mary Call say about Roy Luther in Chapter 7 to Kiser Pease?
(a) She is not allowing visitors.
(b) He has died.
(c) He is eating his breakfast.
(d) He is sleeping late.
6. What do the two sisters do for money in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Gather nuts and berries.
(b) Sell water to travelers.
(c) Gather witch hazel.
(d) Work at the general store.
7. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
8. Who stops at the Luther's house at the beginning of the novel for water?
(a) A traveler.
(b) Mr. Connell.
(c) Cosby Luther.
(d) Kiser Pease.
9. What do the Luthers discover about wildcrafting?
(a) It is harder than they thought.
(b) They are really good at it.
(c) It is easier than they thought.
(d) They are really bad at it.
10. What is one thing that is dangerous about the mountains during wildcrafting?
(a) Other wildcrafters.
(b) The poisonous flowers.
(c) The terrain.
(d) The large animals.
11. What happens when Mary Call wraps Kiser in the onions?
(a) He has a heart attack.
(b) He gets sad.
(c) He begins to sweat.
(d) He begins to cry.
12. Why does Mary Call decide to help Kiser Pease?
(a) Because she thinks she can make him do something.
(b) Because she feels bad.
(c) Because he once helped her father.
(d) Because she is afraid.
13. What kind of animal appears during Roy Luther's burial?
(a) A songbird.
(b) A rattlesnake.
(c) A raven.
14. What happens when Romey becomes upset in Chapter 6?
(a) He tells Mary Call how much he loves her as his big sister.
(b) He tells Mary Call he hates her.
(c) He says that he hated their father.
(d) Romey is quiet and doesn't talk.
15. Where does Mary Call find Cosby Luther's book?
(a) In Ima Dean's room.
(b) At Kiser Pease's house.
(c) Outside on the mountain.
(d) In Roy Luther's room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary Call tell Roy Luther in Chapter 5 before he dies?
2. What do the children think about her wildcrafting idea?
3. What does Mary Call tell the children about Kiser Pease's warning?
4. What does Kiser Pease give Devola in Chapter 7?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how much money does the Luther family have in their money box?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)