|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Mary Call's mother?
(a) Cosby Luther.
(b) Devola Luther.
(d) Ima Dean Luther.
2. What happens after the Luthers play with the car for two days?
(a) It breaks down.
(b) It gets a flat.
(c) Kiser Pease takes it back.
(d) It runs out of gas.
3. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
(a) His friendship.
(b) A paper saying the land is theirs free and clear.
(c) His love.
(d) His respect.
4. What do the Luthers discover about wildcrafting?
(a) They are really good at it.
(b) It is easier than they thought.
(c) They are really bad at it.
(d) It is harder than they thought.
5. What idea do the children come up with after their father's death to keep people away?
(a) To run away.
(b) To tell them their father is sleeping.
(c) To live in the woods.
(d) To put up a sign that says "Mad Dog" or "Small Pox."
6. What is Devola's reaction when she hears of her father's death?
(a) She cries.
(b) She begins yelling.
(c) She is silent.
(d) She screams.
7. What happens when Mary Call wraps Kiser in the onions?
(a) He begins to sweat.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He gets sad.
(d) He has a heart attack.
8. Who does Kiser Pease suggest the Luther family get help from?
(a) Mr. Connell.
(b) The county.
(c) The state.
(d) His sister.
9. What does Mary Call tell the children about Kiser Pease's warning?
(a) He said freedom comes at a price.
(b) He wished them bad luck.
(c) He warned them not to take help from the county.
(d) He said they were doomed.
10. When he is sick, who does Kiser mistake Mary Call for?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
11. When Kiser comes out after speaking to Roy Luther, what is his attitude?
12. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
(a) Marrying Kiser Pease.
(b) Leaving her siblings to the county and leaving.
(c) Telling someone her father is dead.
(d) Selling the house.
13. When Mary Call sees a figure outside one night, who does she think it is?
(a) A ghost.
(b) Her mother.
(d) Kiser Pease.
14. What do the Luthers use the money from the goldenseal for in Chapter 5?
(a) Supplies and drinks for Romey and Ima Dean.
(b) A present for their father.
(c) A book.
(d) A car.
15. Who died years before the novel begins?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Devola Luther.
(c) Mary Call's mother.
(d) Kiser Pease's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal appears during Roy Luther's burial?
2. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
3. In Chapter 3, we find out which mountain range the Luthers live on. Where?
4. Romey wants to give his father a grand funeral like whose?
5. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)