|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Roy Luther gets sick, what happens to his body?
(a) He loses his hair.
(b) He can no longer speak.
(c) He can no longer walk.
(d) He must be fed by one of his children.
2. Who tells Mary Call that he knows how to drive?
(c) Kiser Pease.
(d) Ima Dean.
3. What does Ima Dean want to buy herself with the money from wildcrafting?
(a) A book.
(b) Yellow shoes.
(c) A car.
(d) A present for their father.
4. When they get to Roy Luther's grave site, what do Romey and Mary Call discover?
(a) They are in the wrong spot.
(b) That animals have torn up the site.
(c) Nothing is prepared.
(d) That Roy had prepared long ago before he was sick for his death.
5. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
(a) That you are superstitious and uneducated.
(b) You will have good luck.
(c) That you are very smart.
(d) That you are a worrywart.
6. The Luthers mistake goldenseal for what?
7. What are the "wild gold"?
(a) Smoky Mountain flowers.
(b) Flowers on the mountain.
(c) Plants of the Appalachians.
(d) Cascade Mountain plants.
8. Who died years before the novel begins?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Devola Luther.
(c) Kiser Pease's mother.
(d) Mary Call's mother.
9. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
(a) Telling someone her father is dead.
(b) Leaving her siblings to the county and leaving.
(c) Selling the house.
(d) Marrying Kiser Pease.
10. What do the Luthers use the money from the goldenseal for in Chapter 5?
(a) A car.
(b) Supplies and drinks for Romey and Ima Dean.
(c) A present for their father.
(d) A book.
11. What does Kiser Pease rant about when he is sick and Mary is taking care of him?
(c) The Luthers.
12. What happens after the Luthers play with the car for two days?
(a) It gets a flat.
(b) It runs out of gas.
(c) Kiser Pease takes it back.
(d) It breaks down.
13. Who at the store looks down on the Luthers and does not like them?
(a) The stock boy.
(b) A young worker.
(c) Mr. Connell.
(d) Mrs. Connell.
14. Who loses their temper in Chapter 7 when things go wrong?
(a) Mary Call.
(b) Kiser Pease.
(c) Ima Dean.
15. How has Mr. Connell treated the Luthers?
(a) Always fairly.
(b) Sometimes well.
(c) Always badly.
(d) Sometimes badly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops at the Luther's house at the beginning of the novel for water?
2. Romey says what about the burial on the way back home?
3. What do the two sisters do for money in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Where do they find Kiser Pease in Chapter 2?
5. Why is Mary putting off the trip to the store?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)