|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Mary Call's mother?
(b) Ima Dean Luther.
(c) Cosby Luther.
(d) Devola Luther.
2. At the beginning of Chapter 3, how much money does the Luther family have in their money box?
3. When Mary Call sees a figure outside one night, who does she think it is?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) A ghost.
(c) Her mother.
4. What do they say to their father's body before they leave?
(a) They say he should not have been so proud.
(b) They tell him not to worry about them.
(c) They say he was always light-hearted.
(d) They tell him the kids are there.
5. What do the two sisters do for money in the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Gather witch hazel.
(b) Work at the general store.
(c) Sell water to travelers.
(d) Gather nuts and berries.
6. What does Kiser Pease rant about when he is sick and Mary is taking care of him?
(b) The Luthers.
7. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
(a) Mary Call.
(d) Roy Luther.
8. When Kiser comes out after speaking to Roy Luther, what is his attitude?
9. What does Mary Call tell Roy Luther in Chapter 5 before he dies?
(a) That she needs him to stay alive.
(b) That they are all going to be fine so he should not worry.
(c) That the Connells are coming to visit.
(d) That she is scared.
10. What does Mary Call say about Roy Luther in Chapter 7 to Kiser Pease?
(a) He is sleeping late.
(b) He is eating his breakfast.
(c) She is not allowing visitors.
(d) He has died.
11. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
(a) That you are superstitious and uneducated.
(b) That you are very smart.
(c) You will have good luck.
(d) That you are a worrywart.
12. Who at the store looks down on the Luthers and does not like them?
(a) Mr. Connell.
(b) A young worker.
(c) Mrs. Connell.
(d) The stock boy.
13. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
(a) A paper saying the land is theirs free and clear.
(b) His respect.
(c) His friendship.
(d) His love.
14. How has Mr. Connell treated the Luthers?
(a) Always badly.
(b) Always fairly.
(c) Sometimes well.
(d) Sometimes badly.
15. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
(a) Romey and Mary.
(b) Romey and Devola.
(c) Devola and Mary.
(d) Ima Dean and Devola.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Romey tell Mr. Connell he will do if he encounters snakes?
2. Who notices that Roy Luther is not in the house when the children are gone?
3. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
4. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
5. What kind of animal appears during Roy Luther's burial?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)