|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who died years before the novel begins?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Mary Call's mother.
(c) Kiser Pease's mother.
(d) Devola Luther.
2. Romey says what about the burial on the way back home?
(a) That he thinks it was decent.
(b) The burial made him angry.
(c) Mary Call made the wrong choice.
(d) It was not ever going to be good enough.
3. What do the Luthers use the money from the goldenseal for in Chapter 5?
(a) A car.
(b) A present for their father.
(c) A book.
(d) Supplies and drinks for Romey and Ima Dean.
4. What are the "wild gold"?
(a) Flowers on the mountain.
(b) Cascade Mountain plants.
(c) Plants of the Appalachians.
(d) Smoky Mountain flowers.
5. What is the name of Mary Call's mother?
(a) Devola Luther.
(b) Cosby Luther.
(c) Ima Dean Luther.
6. Who asks Mary Call to get razors at the store?
(a) Ima Dean.
(d) Kiser Pease.
7. Who throws out Mrs. Connell's candy?
(a) Mary Call.
(c) Ima Dean.
8. What does Kiser Pease rant about when he is sick and Mary is taking care of him?
(b) The Luthers.
9. Who does Mary Call tell not to listen at the door when Kiser is in with Roy Luther?
(b) Mr. Connell.
(d) Ima Dean.
10. The Luthers mistake goldenseal for what?
11. What does Romey tell Mr. Connell he will do if he encounters snakes?
(a) Proceed cautiously.
(b) Catch them with a net.
(c) Run away.
(d) Kick them in the behind.
12. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
(a) Romey and Mary.
(b) Romey and Devola.
(c) Ima Dean and Devola.
(d) Devola and Mary.
13. When he is sick, who does Kiser mistake Mary Call for?
(a) His sister.
(b) His wife.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
14. What do they say to their father's body before they leave?
(a) They tell him the kids are there.
(b) They say he should not have been so proud.
(c) They tell him not to worry about them.
(d) They say he was always light-hearted.
15. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
(a) That you are superstitious and uneducated.
(b) You will have good luck.
(c) That you are a worrywart.
(d) That you are very smart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Cosby Luther's book that Mary Call goes to find in Chapter 3?
2. How many promises has Mary Call made to her father?
3. Where does Mary Call find Cosby Luther's book?
4. Who is the owner of the general store?
5. What idea do the children come up with after their father's death to keep people away?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)