|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who drives circles in the front yard?
(c) Mary Call.
(d) Ima Dean.
2. What does Devola dream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A car.
(c) A book.
(d) A present for Roy Luther.
3. Who mentions that they haven't seen Kiser Pease in a few days and he might be sick?
(b) Roy Luther.
(d) Mary Call.
4. What does Kiser Pease give Devola in Chapter 7?
(a) A horse.
(b) A flower.
(c) A pig.
(d) A ring.
5. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
(a) A paper saying the land is theirs free and clear.
(b) His love.
(c) His friendship.
(d) His respect.
6. What does Romey daydream about buying with the money from wildcrafting?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Yellow shoes.
(c) A book.
(d) A car.
7. Romey says what about the burial on the way back home?
(a) The burial made him angry.
(b) It was not ever going to be good enough.
(c) That he thinks it was decent.
(d) Mary Call made the wrong choice.
8. What kind of animal appears during Roy Luther's burial?
(a) A songbird.
(c) A raven.
(d) A rattlesnake.
9. The person who plans to visit Roy Luther in Chapter 5 says she will bring ___________ to the house.
(a) Oatmeal bread.
(b) Medicine for Roy Luther.
(c) More money for wildcrafting.
10. Who gets caught in the rain and takes shelter on Kiser's porch?
(a) Ima Dean and Devola.
(b) Devola and Mary.
(c) Romey and Mary.
(d) Romey and Devola.
11. How long does Kiser tell Mary Call they can stay on without charge?
(a) One year.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Through the summer.
(d) Through the winter.
12. Who died years before the novel begins?
(a) Devola Luther.
(b) Mary Call's mother.
(c) Kiser Pease.
(d) Kiser Pease's mother.
13. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
(a) Cook him soup.
(b) Fry onions to wrap him in and get out the fever.
(c) Make a cold compress.
(d) Take his temperature.
14. What is one thing that is dangerous about the mountains during wildcrafting?
(a) The large animals.
(b) The terrain.
(c) The poisonous flowers.
(d) Other wildcrafters.
15. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
(a) Romey's age.
(b) What they need at home.
(c) Her father's health.
(d) How much money they have.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, Mary Call contemplates what for the first time in the novel?
2. While Kiser is sick, what do the Luther children enjoy?
3. In the midst of the breakdown, who is attacked by hornets?
4. Who takes Roy Luther up to the grave?
5. What does having a witch's keyhole mean, according to the novel?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)