|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who died years before the novel begins?
(a) Devola Luther.
(b) Kiser Pease.
(c) Kiser Pease's mother.
(d) Mary Call's mother.
2. What does Mary Call Luther's family do for a living?
(a) Run a bed and breakfast.
(b) Own a store.
3. Who has a witch's keyhole in his chimney?
(a) Kiser Pease.
(b) Roy Luther.
(c) Mr. Connell.
(d) The traveler.
4. What does Mary Call tell the children about Kiser Pease's warning?
(a) He said freedom comes at a price.
(b) He warned them not to take help from the county.
(c) He wished them bad luck.
(d) He said they were doomed.
5. In the midst of the breakdown, who is attacked by hornets?
(a) Ima Dean.
(b) Kiser Pease.
(c) Mary Call.
6. What happens after the Luthers play with the car for two days?
(a) It breaks down.
(b) It gets a flat.
(c) Kiser Pease takes it back.
(d) It runs out of gas.
7. What is Mary Call's opinion about Roy Luther and wildcrafting?
(a) She tells the children he refused to do it.
(b) She secretly thinks he was too proud to do it.
(c) She thinks he wasn't good at it.
(d) She doesn't know what to think.
8. Why does Roy Luther refuse to see a doctor?
(a) Because one killed his mother.
(b) Because he is tired of doctor visits.
(c) They made him sick once.
(d) Because no doctors live close by.
9. In Chapter One, how old is Mary Call Luther?
10. The person who plans to visit Roy Luther in Chapter 5 says she will bring ___________ to the house.
(b) Medicine for Roy Luther.
(c) More money for wildcrafting.
(d) Oatmeal bread.
11. What is Devola's reaction when she hears of her father's death?
(a) She begins yelling.
(b) She is silent.
(c) She cries.
(d) She screams.
12. Who is the Luther family's neighbor?
(a) The Connells.
(c) Goldie Pease.
(d) Kiser Pease.
13. What does Mary Call lie about during their visit to the store in Chapter 4?
(a) How much money they have.
(b) Her father's health.
(c) What they need at home.
(d) Romey's age.
14. Romey wants to give his father a grand funeral like whose?
(b) A king.
(c) Mrs. Connells' parents.
(d) The mayor.
15. Who is the oldest sister in the Luther family?
(c) Ima Dean.
(d) Mary Call.
Short Answer Questions
1. Romey says he once stole whose car?
2. What does Mary Call get out of helping Kiser?
3. What is the first thing Mary Call does to help Kiser when he is sick?
4. Who notices that Roy Luther is not in the house when the children are gone?
5. How has Mr. Connell treated the Luthers?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)