|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willy Jack continually hear Novalee tell him in his head?
2. How many children do Lexie and her husband have between them?
3. In what year does Chapter 24 take place?
4. The headline is about Willy Jack. Where is Willy Jack?
5. Through which university does Novalee attend a seminar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
2. What made Novalee take a job as a photographer?
3. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
4. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
5. Why are Certain and Moses suffering with broken hearts in Chapter 25?
6. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
7. How does Novalee attempt to console Lexie throughout Chapter 30?
8. What is important to Novalee as she decorates her new house?
9. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
10. What does "Look at all you've done, Novalee, look at all you've done for yourself" mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A lot happened to Forney within the story. Show specific ways that Forney has grown in his character throughout the story.
Essay Topic 2
The media, Sam Walton, Momma Nell, and Lexie are all characters that Novalee encountered at the hospital. How does the hospital turn out to be a transitional point in the story? Give three reasons and explain why they are transitional.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of names, as emphasized by Moses Whitecotton. Further, explain the parallel between names in this book and those of the Christmas nativity.
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)