|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Novalee thinks she is dreaming about what at the start of Chapter 37?
2. How many pictures does Novalee end up taking for the photography seminar in Chapter 31?
3. What city do most of the letters written to Americus come from?
4. Novalee learns that all of the Hull men graduated from what college?
5. What is "The Martin"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Novalee talks to the camera shop owner, and why is it significant to Novalee?
2. Why does Brummett call Novalee at the start of Chapter 29?
3. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
4. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
5. Novalee's dream in Chapter 1 is a similar foreshadowing to what event in Chapter 32?
6. How does Forney leaving affect everyone?
7. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
8. What made Novalee take a job as a photographer?
9. How does Sister Husband have an influence on Novalee?
10. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novalee wanted her own home. Describe what you believe Novalee's ideal home would be like. Does she achieve this in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The buckeye tree and the Christmas tree are important in this story. To whom are they important? Why and how are they important? Is there a relationship between these trees and superstition?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of names, as emphasized by Moses Whitecotton. Further, explain the parallel between names in this book and those of the Christmas nativity.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)