|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Novalee and Lexie got closer to home, what is happening?
2. When Novalee enters Lexie's, who tries to talk to Novalee but can't?
3. What does Americus give her mom as medicine?
4. Where are Novalee and Americus going to meet Lexie and her children when Lexie shares that she is pregnant?
5. Where is Sister Husband buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "Look at all you've done, Novalee, look at all you've done for yourself" mean?
2. How does Novalee attempt to console Lexie throughout Chapter 30?
3. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
4. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
5. Why does Brummett call Novalee at the start of Chapter 29?
6. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
7. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
8. Why are Certain and Moses suffering with broken hearts in Chapter 25?
9. How does the Q-tip help Novalee in her photography?
10. Novalee's dream in Chapter 1 is a similar foreshadowing to what event in Chapter 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The media, Sam Walton, Momma Nell, and Lexie are all characters that Novalee encountered at the hospital. How does the hospital turn out to be a transitional point in the story? Give three reasons and explain why they are transitional.
Essay Topic 2
Home is a major theme of the story. Describe how this theme is important to Forney, Lexie, Sister Husband, Moses, and Benny.
Essay Topic 3
What are the ten most important events in the story? Explain the events in order of occurrence and explain why you believe they are the most important events.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)