|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is causing Lexie the most pain?
2. How old was Sister Husband when she died?
3. Roger Briscoe, Lexie's boyfriend, did what to Brummett?
4. Why is this character unable to talk?
5. Novalee thinks she is dreaming about what at the start of Chapter 37?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
2. How does seeing the lights on in the hotel room enlighten Novalee?
3. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
4. How does Forney leaving affect everyone?
5. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
6. Why are Certain and Moses suffering with broken hearts in Chapter 25?
7. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
8. How does the Q-tip help Novalee in her photography?
9. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
10. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novalee's superstitions play a role in her decision making throughout the story. Explain Novalee's superstitions and how these affect her decision making throughout the story. Be specific and use specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Photography is a hobby that Novalee enjoys. Who does she learn this hobby from and how does this person help her grow?
Essay Topic 3
What is the connection in the story between Mary Elizabeth Hull, Sister Husband, and Ray? Do they meet at the same place? Explain as much as you can about this connection.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)