|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Claire Hudson contacts Ruth Meyers because...
2. Who does Novalee take Americus to before going to see Willy Jack?
3. At the start of Chapter 27, how long has Novalee been in HER house?
4. How many pictures does Novalee end up taking for the photography seminar in Chapter 31?
5. Willy Jack sings along to "The Beat of a Heart" on the jukebox sung by....
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
2. In Chapter 33, how are both good and bad luck shown?
3. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
4. Who is Ray and how does he change Novalee's life?
5. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
6. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
7. How is Delphia similar to the kind of woman Willy Jack usually encounters?
8. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
9. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
10. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of names, as emphasized by Moses Whitecotton. Further, explain the parallel between names in this book and those of the Christmas nativity.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the parallel between names in this book and names within the Christmas nativity. What are the religious connections?
Essay Topic 3
What is the connection in the story between Mary Elizabeth Hull, Sister Husband, and Ray? Do they meet at the same place? Explain as much as you can about this connection.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)