|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies as a result of the fire?
2. When the new library is built, who will the be new librarian?
3. Praline has had bad dreams and is afraid of....
4. As Novalee and Lexie got closer to home, what is happening?
5. What does part of the letter written to Americus say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brummett call Novalee at the start of Chapter 29?
2. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
3. How does the Q-tip help Novalee in her photography?
4. What happens with the women Willy Jack charms?
5. How does Sister Husband have an influence on Novalee?
6. What is meant by Lexie finally finding good luck?
7. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
8. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
9. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
10. What happens when Novalee talks to the camera shop owner, and why is it significant to Novalee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The buckeye tree and the Christmas tree are important in this story. To whom are they important? Why and how are they important? Is there a relationship between these trees and superstition?
Essay Topic 2
How is Novalee's family similar to Forney's family? How is Novalee's family different from Forney's family?
Essay Topic 3
Three main settings in the story are Wal-Mart, the library, and the hospital. While these are not the only settings, how do these settings contribute to the outcome of the story? Would the story outcome be different if there was no library? Would Forney and Novalee have met? If not, in what setting would they have met to keep with the story line?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)