|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship did Ray and Sister Husband have?
2. How many months pregnant is Lexie in Chapter 25?
3. Novalee learns that all of the Hull men graduated from what college?
4. What does Willy Jack continually hear Novalee tell him in his head?
5. Novalee thinks the person on her porch should be where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Certain and Moses suffering with broken hearts in Chapter 25?
2. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
3. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
4. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
5. How does the number 7 in Chapter 38 connect with Chapter 1?
6. What is important to Novalee as she decorates her new house?
7. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
8. In Chapter 33, how are both good and bad luck shown?
9. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
10. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are times within the story that foreshadowing is a key element. List at least 3 events of foreshadowing evident throughout the story. Do you think that the author used foreshadowing effectively in this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A lot happened to Forney within the story. Show specific ways that Forney has grown in his character throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Willy Jack is known to use women and get what he wants. Some of the women Willy Jack encounters are passive while others are assertive. List and describe the women Willy Jack comes into contact with and the interaction between them. Do the women get even with him or not?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)