|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Praline has had bad dreams and is afraid of....
2. How does Novalee locate Forney in Chapter 35?
3. How much money did Novalee receive from the life insurance check in Chapter 25?
4. Because of the natural disaster, Novalee learns that Wal-Mart was destroyed and would not be rebuilt in it's current location. The new Wal-Mart is being built how many miles away from where it originally was?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 29, who calls Novalee while she is working on photography?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by Lexie finally finding good luck?
2. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
3. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
4. Who is Ray and how does he change Novalee's life?
5. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
6. Why are Certain and Moses suffering with broken hearts in Chapter 25?
7. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
8. How does the number 7 in Chapter 38 connect with Chapter 1?
9. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
10. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Photography is a hobby that Novalee enjoys. Who does she learn this hobby from and how does this person help her grow?
Essay Topic 2
Novalee has changed from the beginning of the story to the end. List ways in which Novalee has changed, the people involved in helping her change, and what specifically she has done to change.
Essay Topic 3
What are the ten most important events in the story? Explain the events in order of occurrence and explain why you believe they are the most important events.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)