|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Novalee leaves to do another photography job, who does Americus stay with?
2. Willy Jack sings along to "The Beat of a Heart" on the jukebox sung by....
3. In Chapter 31, Novalee is at a photography seminar that occurs on what day of the week?
4. Through which university does Novalee attend a seminar?
5. As Novalee and Lexie get closer to home, a fire truck passes. What do they learn is on fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ray and how does he change Novalee's life?
2. What is meant by Lexie finally finding good luck?
3. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
4. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
5. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
6. How does the Q-tip help Novalee in her photography?
7. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
8. In Chapter 33, how are both good and bad luck shown?
9. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
10. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Photography is a hobby that Novalee enjoys. Who does she learn this hobby from and how does this person help her grow?
Essay Topic 2
How is Novalee's family similar to Forney's family? How is Novalee's family different from Forney's family?
Essay Topic 3
The buckeye tree and the Christmas tree are important in this story. To whom are they important? Why and how are they important? Is there a relationship between these trees and superstition?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)