|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Willy Jack sings along to "The Beat of a Heart" on the jukebox sung by....
2. Lexie raves to Novalee about what in Chapter 28?
3. Roger Briscoe, Lexie's boyfriend, did what to Brummett?
4. What is the name of the woman Willy Jack leaves the bar with?
5. What city do most of the letters written to Americus come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sister Husband have an influence on Novalee?
2. What made Novalee take a job as a photographer?
3. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
4. What does "Look at all you've done, Novalee, look at all you've done for yourself" mean?
5. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
6. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
7. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
8. How does the number 7 in Chapter 38 connect with Chapter 1?
9. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
10. What happens with the women Willy Jack charms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Willy Jack is known to use women and get what he wants. Some of the women Willy Jack encounters are passive while others are assertive. List and describe the women Willy Jack comes into contact with and the interaction between them. Do the women get even with him or not?
Essay Topic 2
A lot happened to Forney within the story. Show specific ways that Forney has grown in his character throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
How is Novalee's family similar to Forney's family? How is Novalee's family different from Forney's family?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)