|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cowpokes?
2. What does Novalee learn from Moses?
3. At the end of the book, who does Novalee call after talking with Willy Jack?
4. What state did Forney travel to for the funeral of Mary Elizabeth?
5. Why does Certain say Moses is "staying busy with a broken hand"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Certain and Moses suffering with broken hearts in Chapter 25?
2. How does Forney leaving affect everyone?
3. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
4. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
5. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
6. How does seeing the lights on in the hotel room enlighten Novalee?
7. What stages does Novalee see in Benny?
8. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
9. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
10. How does the number 7 in Chapter 38 connect with Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the connection in the story between Mary Elizabeth Hull, Sister Husband, and Ray? Do they meet at the same place? Explain as much as you can about this connection.
Essay Topic 2
Home is a major theme of the story. Describe how this theme is important to Forney, Lexie, Sister Husband, Moses, and Benny.
Essay Topic 3
Photography is a hobby that Novalee enjoys. Who does she learn this hobby from and how does this person help her grow?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)