|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of Chapter 27, how long has Novalee been in HER house?
2. Novalee cannot stop thinking about someone in Chapter 34. Who is it?
3. Lexie's husband is going to get Brummett into what?
4. Who does Novalee take Americus to before going to see Willy Jack?
5. How long will Lexie require a wire to help with her injuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
2. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
3. What is important to Novalee as she decorates her new house?
4. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
5. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
6. What is a way that Lexie has acknowledged her children have change?
7. How does Sister Husband have an influence on Novalee?
8. How is Delphia similar to the kind of woman Willy Jack usually encounters?
9. Why does Brummett call Novalee at the start of Chapter 29?
10. How does the number 7 in Chapter 38 connect with Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes of the story is that of heart. How does this theme of heart play out in the lives of Novalee, Willy Jack, Sister Husband, Lexie, Forney, and Benny? Is this theme of heart in relationship to any other theme of the story? What theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
A lot happened to Forney within the story. Show specific ways that Forney has grown in his character throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
Novalee has changed from the beginning of the story to the end. List ways in which Novalee has changed, the people involved in helping her change, and what specifically she has done to change.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)