|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 37, who does Novalee see on her porch when she looks outside?
2. Because of Lexie's condition, where do Lexie's children stay?
3. Ruth Meyers and Claire Hudson have both been __________ by Willy Jack.
4. Where are Novalee and Americus going to meet Lexie and her children when Lexie shares that she is pregnant?
5. How much weight has Lexie lost with her mouth wired shut?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the women Willy Jack charms?
2. Novalee's dream in Chapter 1 is a similar foreshadowing to what event in Chapter 32?
3. How does Sister Husband have an influence on Novalee?
4. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
5. How does seeing the lights on in the hotel room enlighten Novalee?
6. How does the number 7 in Chapter 38 connect with Chapter 1?
7. How does Novalee attempt to console Lexie throughout Chapter 30?
8. In Chapter 33, how are both good and bad luck shown?
9. What made Novalee take a job as a photographer?
10. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of names, as emphasized by Moses Whitecotton. Further, explain the parallel between names in this book and those of the Christmas nativity.
Essay Topic 2
Willy Jack is known to use women and get what he wants. Some of the women Willy Jack encounters are passive while others are assertive. List and describe the women Willy Jack comes into contact with and the interaction between them. Do the women get even with him or not?
Essay Topic 3
Three main settings in the story are Wal-Mart, the library, and the hospital. While these are not the only settings, how do these settings contribute to the outcome of the story? Would the story outcome be different if there was no library? Would Forney and Novalee have met? If not, in what setting would they have met to keep with the story line?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)