|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Novalee enters Lexie's, who is rocking back and forth?
2. How does Novalee locate Forney in Chapter 35?
3. How many children do Lexie and her husband have between them?
4. Where is Sister Husband buried?
5. Novalee learns that all of the Hull men graduated from what college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
2. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
3. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
4. What happens with the women Willy Jack charms?
5. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
6. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
7. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
8. Novalee's dream in Chapter 1 is a similar foreshadowing to what event in Chapter 32?
9. How does the Q-tip help Novalee in her photography?
10. What is meant by Lexie finally finding good luck?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of names, as emphasized by Moses Whitecotton. Further, explain the parallel between names in this book and those of the Christmas nativity.
Essay Topic 2
Novalee wanted her own home. Describe what you believe Novalee's ideal home would be like. Does she achieve this in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
A lot happened to Forney within the story. Show specific ways that Forney has grown in his character throughout the story.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)