|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Willy Jack and a woman drive to in Chapter 32?
2. What does part of the letter written to Americus say?
3. What is Cowpokes?
4. How many children do Lexie and her husband have between them?
5. Willy Jack sings along to "The Beat of a Heart" on the jukebox sung by....
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Delphia similar to the kind of woman Willy Jack usually encounters?
2. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
3. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
4. In Chapter 33, how are both good and bad luck shown?
5. What does "Look at all you've done, Novalee, look at all you've done for yourself" mean?
6. What is a way that Lexie has acknowledged her children have change?
7. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
8. How does Sister Husband have an influence on Novalee?
9. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
10. How does Forney leaving affect everyone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novalee has changed from the beginning of the story to the end. List ways in which Novalee has changed, the people involved in helping her change, and what specifically she has done to change.
Essay Topic 2
The media, Sam Walton, Momma Nell, and Lexie are all characters that Novalee encountered at the hospital. How does the hospital turn out to be a transitional point in the story? Give three reasons and explain why they are transitional.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the parallel between names in this book and names within the Christmas nativity. What are the religious connections?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)