|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Novalee go to see in a hotel in Chapter 34?
2. What does Willy Jack tell Johnny DeSoto that he really needs?
3. Novalee thinks she is dreaming about what at the start of Chapter 37?
4. Who does Novalee take Americus to before going to see Willy Jack?
5. Who watches Americus during the day while Novalee is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
2. Why does Brummett call Novalee at the start of Chapter 29?
3. How is Delphia similar to the kind of woman Willy Jack usually encounters?
4. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
5. How does Sister Husband have an influence on Novalee?
6. What made Novalee take a job as a photographer?
7. What happens when Novalee talks to the camera shop owner, and why is it significant to Novalee?
8. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
9. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
10. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes of the story is that of heart. How does this theme of heart play out in the lives of Novalee, Willy Jack, Sister Husband, Lexie, Forney, and Benny? Is this theme of heart in relationship to any other theme of the story? What theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Photography is a hobby that Novalee enjoys. Who does she learn this hobby from and how does this person help her grow?
Essay Topic 3
Novalee has changed from the beginning of the story to the end. List ways in which Novalee has changed, the people involved in helping her change, and what specifically she has done to change.
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)