|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the photography seminar that Novalee attends in Chapter 31?
2. What is the name of the woman Willy Jack leaves the bar with?
3. The headline is about Willy Jack. Where is Willy Jack?
4. Who dies as a result of the fire?
5. What does Americus give her mom as medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the number 7 in Chapter 38 connect with Chapter 1?
2. Through Chapter 26, how are Novalee and Willy Jack's lives going in opposite directions?
3. In Chapter 33, how are both good and bad luck shown?
4. What is the two-fold meaning of the word "disconnected"?
5. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
6. How does seeing the lights on in the hotel room enlighten Novalee?
7. Who is Ray and how does he change Novalee's life?
8. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
9. How does Novalee attempt to console Lexie throughout Chapter 30?
10. What are the things that Novalee copes with throughout Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the parallel between names in this book and names within the Christmas nativity. What are the religious connections?
Essay Topic 2
One of the major themes of the story is that of heart. How does this theme of heart play out in the lives of Novalee, Willy Jack, Sister Husband, Lexie, Forney, and Benny? Is this theme of heart in relationship to any other theme of the story? What theme? How?
Essay Topic 3
Photography is a hobby that Novalee enjoys. Who does she learn this hobby from and how does this person help her grow?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)