|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What agency does Willy Jack go to?
2. Where does Novalee spend most of her evenings?
3. What city does Novalee travel to for a photo exhibit?
4. How old is Americus at the time of her disappearance?
5. What song does Willy Jack sing at the audition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Willy Jack pulled over?
2. How are Willy Jack and Momma Nell alike?
3. How is Ruth Meyers not like the other women in Willy Jack's life?
4. What is the true nature of Willy Jack Pickens?
5. What is ironic about where Sister Husband lives and Novalee and her dream?
6. Novalee sees Moses at Wal-Mart. What is he doing there and why does it help Novalee?
7. How are Novalee and Forney similar?
8. How is Willy Jack trying to change his life after being released from prison?
9. Where do the police find Americus?
10. Why is the buckeye tree important to Novalee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novalee's superstitions play a role in her decision making throughout the story. Explain Novalee's superstitions and how these affect her decision making throughout the story. Be specific and use specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
How are each of the gifts Novalee receives her first day in town at Wal-Mart symbolic to her own life? Tell what the gift is, what is symbolic about it, and how does this symbolism relate to Novalee.
Essay Topic 3
The media, Sam Walton, Momma Nell, and Lexie are all characters that Novalee encountered at the hospital. How does the hospital turn out to be a transitional point in the story? Give three reasons and explain why they are transitional.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)