|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What make the cellar shake?
2. What season of the year does Novalee visit Rattlesnake Ridge?
3. What city does Novalee travel to for a photo exhibit?
4. Which of these characters did Novalee not meet in Chapter 2?
5. While in jail, Willy Jack meets Claire Hudson. Who is she?
Short Essay Questions
1. Novalee visits the Whitecotton place. What does she learn?
2. What is ironic about where Sister Husband lives and Novalee and her dream?
3. How has Novalee's vision of photography changed?
4. How is the nativity scene symbolic of the life of Novalee?
5. How is Novalee's superstition coming into play?
6. What are some clues that tell Novalee's life is improving throughout Chapter 23?
7. What does Novalee find in the library?
8. Why is the buckeye tree important to Novalee?
9. How has Novalee changed over the course of this book?
10. Why is Claire obsessed with Band-Aids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are each of the gifts Novalee receives her first day in town at Wal-Mart symbolic to her own life? Tell what the gift is, what is symbolic about it, and how does this symbolism relate to Novalee.
Essay Topic 2
There are times within the story that foreshadowing is a key element. List at least 3 events of foreshadowing evident throughout the story. Do you think that the author used foreshadowing effectively in this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the connection in the story between Mary Elizabeth Hull, Sister Husband, and Ray? Do they meet at the same place? Explain as much as you can about this connection.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)