|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Novalee calls Sister Husband from the hotel to check on Americus. What is the new song Americus learned while Novalee is on her trip?
2. Besides two books, what does Forney bring with him every evening when he visits?
3. What make the cellar shake?
4. What is the name of the neighbor who helps during the natural disaster?
5. Where does Novalee meet Lexie Coup for lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Novalee's vision of photography changed?
2. What happens when Novalee talks to the camera shop owner, and why is it significant to Novalee?
3. Where do the police find Americus?
4. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
5. Why is Willy Jack pulled over?
6. What are Lexie's children's names and what do they tell us about Lexie?
7. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
8. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
9. What is the significance of Novalee's daughter's name, Americus?
10. Novalee's dream in Chapter 1 is a similar foreshadowing to what event in Chapter 32?
Essay Topic 1
How are each of the gifts Novalee receives her first day in town at Wal-Mart symbolic to her own life? Tell what the gift is, what is symbolic about it, and how does this symbolism relate to Novalee.
Essay Topic 2
What are the ten most important events in the story? Explain the events in order of occurrence and explain why you believe they are the most important events.
Essay Topic 3
Lexie becomes a key friend to Novalee. Explain ways that she and her children have shown they have matured from the time they were first introduced.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)