|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Willy Jack meets in Chapter 3?
2. Who does Willy Jack remind Claire of?
3. Who picks up Novalee and Americus from the hospital?
4. When Forney and Novalee return to Sister Husband's trailer, what do they see?
5. Chapter 23 talks about what natural disaster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Novalee sees Moses at Wal-Mart. What is he doing there and why does it help Novalee?
2. How is Novalee's superstition coming into play?
3. Describe how Novalee helps out during the tornado.
4. How is Willy Jack trying to change his life after being released from prison?
5. What is the significance of Novalee's daughter's name, Americus?
6. What are the gifts Novalee receives in Chapter 2 and who are they from?
7. Where do the police find Americus?
8. Explain how Novalee and Lexie are similar and how Troy and Willy Jack are similar.
9. How does the media react to Novalee's baby?
10. What does Novalee learn about Benny's heritage through photography?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novalee's superstitions play a role in her decision making throughout the story. Explain Novalee's superstitions and how these affect her decision making throughout the story. Be specific and use specific examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
A lot happened to Forney within the story. Show specific ways that Forney has grown in his character throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes of the story is that of heart. How does this theme of heart play out in the lives of Novalee, Willy Jack, Sister Husband, Lexie, Forney, and Benny? Is this theme of heart in relationship to any other theme of the story? What theme? How?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)