|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Willy Jack meets in Chapter 3?
2. At what church do the police cars respond to?
3. How long does Forney read when he visits each evening?
4. While in jail, Willy Jack meets Claire Hudson. Who is she?
5. Who does Novalee visit in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Novalee and Lexie are similar and how Troy and Willy Jack are similar.
2. What are some clues that tell Novalee's life is improving throughout Chapter 23?
3. What are the gifts Novalee receives in Chapter 2 and who are they from?
4. What is ironic about where Sister Husband lives and Novalee and her dream?
5. How does Novalee show her unique perspective of photography at Rattlesnake Ridge?
6. How has Novalee changed over the course of this book?
7. How is Ruth Meyers not like the other women in Willy Jack's life?
8. Novalee visits the Whitecotton place. What does she learn?
9. How does Forney contrast to Novalee?
10. How is Novalee building the life she dreamed of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are times within the story that foreshadowing is a key element. List at least 3 events of foreshadowing evident throughout the story. Do you think that the author used foreshadowing effectively in this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Willy Jack is known to use women and get what he wants. Some of the women Willy Jack encounters are passive while others are assertive. List and describe the women Willy Jack comes into contact with and the interaction between them. Do the women get even with him or not?
Essay Topic 3
How are each of the gifts Novalee receives her first day in town at Wal-Mart symbolic to her own life? Tell what the gift is, what is symbolic about it, and how does this symbolism relate to Novalee.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)