|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important event happens in Chapter 8?
2. Why is Willy Jack arrested?
3. What room is turned into the darkroom?
4. Where did the policemen find Americus?
5. Who does Novalee travel with on her trip in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forney contrast to Novalee?
2. Why is the buckeye tree important to Novalee?
3. How is the buckeye tree given to Novalee by Benny symbolic for both characters?
4. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
5. Why is Novalee worried about going to the photography seminar?
6. Why does Brummett call Novalee at the start of Chapter 29?
7. How has Novalee's vision of photography changed?
8. How is Ruth Meyers not like the other women in Willy Jack's life?
9. Where do the police find Americus?
10. What does "Look at all you've done, Novalee, look at all you've done for yourself" mean?
Essay Topic 1
Willy Jack is known to use women and get what he wants. Some of the women Willy Jack encounters are passive while others are assertive. List and describe the women Willy Jack comes into contact with and the interaction between them. Do the women get even with him or not?
Essay Topic 2
The media, Sam Walton, Momma Nell, and Lexie are all characters that Novalee encountered at the hospital. How does the hospital turn out to be a transitional point in the story? Give three reasons and explain why they are transitional.
Essay Topic 3
Three main settings in the story are Wal-Mart, the library, and the hospital. While these are not the only settings, how do these settings contribute to the outcome of the story? Would the story outcome be different if there was no library? Would Forney and Novalee have met? If not, in what setting would they have met to keep with the story line?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)