|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Novalee ask of this character when she visits?
2. What is the relationship of Willy Jack Pickens and Novalee Nation?
3. What is the "cabin a couple hundred feet from the house" called?
4. At the hospital, Novalee receives what from different states?
5. Why is Willy Jack arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Novalee's daughter's name, Americus?
2. Novalee visits the Whitecotton place. What does she learn?
3. Where do the police find Americus?
4. How does the media react to Novalee's baby?
5. What is the true nature of Willy Jack Pickens?
6. How has Novalee changed over the course of this book?
7. What are Lexie's children's names and what do they tell us about Lexie?
8. Why is the buckeye tree important to Novalee?
9. Why is Claire obsessed with Band-Aids?
10. How does Forney contrast to Novalee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lexie becomes a key friend to Novalee. Explain ways that she and her children have shown they have matured from the time they were first introduced.
Essay Topic 2
A lot happened to Forney within the story. Show specific ways that Forney has grown in his character throughout the story.
Essay Topic 3
There are times within the story that foreshadowing is a key element. List at least 3 events of foreshadowing evident throughout the story. Do you think that the author used foreshadowing effectively in this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)