|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bar Willy Jack stops at?
2. Besides two books, what does Forney bring with him every evening when he visits?
3. What is the name of the neighbor who helps during the natural disaster?
4. Who helps Novalee search for Americus at three in the morning?
5. What song does Willy Jack sing at the audition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Lexie's childrens' name change in Chapter 29?
2. What is a way that Lexie has acknowledged her children have change?
3. How does Retha Holloway make Novalee feel insecure about the difference between she and Forney?
4. Who are the police considering as suspects in the disappearance of Americus?
5. Explain how Novalee and Lexie are similar and how Troy and Willy Jack are similar.
6. How does Novalee attempt to console Lexie throughout Chapter 30?
7. How does the media react to Novalee's baby?
8. What is the true nature of Willy Jack Pickens?
9. What is meant by Lexie finally finding good luck?
10. What is ironic about where Sister Husband lives and Novalee and her dream?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the parallel between names in this book and names within the Christmas nativity. What are the religious connections?
Essay Topic 2
There are times within the story that foreshadowing is a key element. List at least 3 events of foreshadowing evident throughout the story. Do you think that the author used foreshadowing effectively in this story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of names, as emphasized by Moses Whitecotton. Further, explain the parallel between names in this book and those of the Christmas nativity.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)