|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What specifically makes Novalee cry while searching for Americus?
2. Why did Willy Jack go to this agency?
3. What is the "cabin a couple hundred feet from the house" called?
4. Who comes to help Novalee at the important event in Chapter 8?
5. Willy Jack Pickens and Novalee Nation are traveling when this novel begins. What state are they currently in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the true nature of Willy Jack Pickens?
2. How are Novalee and Forney similar?
3. How is Novalee building the life she dreamed of?
4. Why is Willy Jack pulled over?
5. Describe how Novalee helps out during the tornado.
6. Why is Claire obsessed with Band-Aids?
7. What is ironic about where Sister Husband lives and Novalee and her dream?
8. How has Novalee changed over the course of this book?
9. What are the gifts Novalee receives in Chapter 2 and who are they from?
10. What are some clues that tell Novalee's life is improving throughout Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes of the story is that of heart. How does this theme of heart play out in the lives of Novalee, Willy Jack, Sister Husband, Lexie, Forney, and Benny? Is this theme of heart in relationship to any other theme of the story? What theme? How?
Essay Topic 2
Novalee wanted her own home. Describe what you believe Novalee's ideal home would be like. Does she achieve this in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Home is a major theme of the story. Describe how this theme is important to Forney, Lexie, Sister Husband, Moses, and Benny.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)