|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the hospital to visit Novalee and tries to help her find her own apartment?
2. Novalee begins taking birth control after how many dates with Troy?
3. What agency does Willy Jack go to?
4. When Forney and Novalee return to Sister Husband's trailer, what do they see?
5. Who picks up Novalee and Americus from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Novalee visits the Whitecotton place. What does she learn?
2. What are Lexie's children's names and what do they tell us about Lexie?
3. How has Novalee changed over the course of this book?
4. How does Novalee show her unique perspective of photography at Rattlesnake Ridge?
5. How does Forney contrast to Novalee?
6. Describe how Novalee helps out during the tornado.
7. Who are the police considering as suspects in the disappearance of Americus?
8. Why is Willy Jack pulled over?
9. How is Willy Jack trying to change his life after being released from prison?
10. How does the media react to Novalee's baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Novalee's family similar to Forney's family? How is Novalee's family different from Forney's family?
Essay Topic 2
Lexie becomes a key friend to Novalee. Explain ways that she and her children have shown they have matured from the time they were first introduced.
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes of the story is that of heart. How does this theme of heart play out in the lives of Novalee, Willy Jack, Sister Husband, Lexie, Forney, and Benny? Is this theme of heart in relationship to any other theme of the story? What theme? How?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)