|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Willy Jack do to practice for his audition?
2. What agency does Willy Jack go to?
3. Who does the policeman interview regarding Americus' disappearance?
4. "Moses did not take pictures Novalee had thought about." What type of pictures did Novalee think about?
5. What is Forney's sister's real job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ruth Meyers not like the other women in Willy Jack's life?
2. What is the true nature of Willy Jack Pickens?
3. Why is the buckeye tree important to Novalee?
4. What is the significance of Novalee's daughter's name, Americus?
5. Novalee sees Moses at Wal-Mart. What is he doing there and why does it help Novalee?
6. As a result of Novalee's childhood, what does she do for Americus?
7. Explain how Novalee and Lexie are similar and how Troy and Willy Jack are similar.
8. How does Forney contrast to Novalee?
9. How has Novalee's vision of photography changed?
10. How is Novalee building the life she dreamed of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the ten most important events in the story? Explain the events in order of occurrence and explain why you believe they are the most important events.
Essay Topic 2
Photography is a hobby that Novalee enjoys. Who does she learn this hobby from and how does this person help her grow?
Essay Topic 3
The buckeye tree and the Christmas tree are important in this story. To whom are they important? Why and how are they important? Is there a relationship between these trees and superstition?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)