|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Novalee and Americus stay during the natural disaster?
2. What season of the year does Novalee visit Rattlesnake Ridge?
3. The names of Lexie's four children symbolizes her obsession with....
4. Novalee meets a man named Forney at the library. What is distinct about Forney's appearance when they meet?
5. What city does Willy Jack's cousin live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the nativity scene symbolic of the life of Novalee?
2. What does Novalee learn about Benny's heritage through photography?
3. Novalee visits the Whitecotton place. What does she learn?
4. How are Willy Jack and Momma Nell alike?
5. How is Ruth Meyers not like the other women in Willy Jack's life?
6. What is ironic about where Sister Husband lives and Novalee and her dream?
7. How is Novalee building the life she dreamed of?
8. How is Willy Jack trying to change his life after being released from prison?
9. What are the gifts Novalee receives in Chapter 2 and who are they from?
10. Why is the buckeye tree important to Novalee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Novalee wanted her own home. Describe what you believe Novalee's ideal home would be like. Does she achieve this in the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How is Novalee's family similar to Forney's family? How is Novalee's family different from Forney's family?
Essay Topic 3
Novalee has changed from the beginning of the story to the end. List ways in which Novalee has changed, the people involved in helping her change, and what specifically she has done to change.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)