|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "cabin a couple hundred feet from the house" called?
2. What gift did Novalee want for Christmas and not receive from grandma?
3. Who does Novalee visit in Chapter 6?
4. What is Forney's sister's real job?
5. Where does the important event that happens to Novalee occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Novalee show her unique perspective of photography at Rattlesnake Ridge?
2. What is a way that Lexie has acknowledged her children have change?
3. How does Novalee mourn the loss of Sister Husband?
4. How does Forney contrast to Novalee?
5. What are Lexie's children's names and what do they tell us about Lexie?
6. Contrast "pick of the litter" in the conversations between Novalee and Lexie.
7. How have Novalee and Forney helped each other to heal in Chapter 33?
8. How is Delphia similar to the kind of woman Willy Jack usually encounters?
9. Novalee visits the Whitecotton place. What does she learn?
10. What is the true nature of Willy Jack Pickens?
Essay Topic 1
How are each of the gifts Novalee receives her first day in town at Wal-Mart symbolic to her own life? Tell what the gift is, what is symbolic about it, and how does this symbolism relate to Novalee.
Essay Topic 2
The media, Sam Walton, Momma Nell, and Lexie are all characters that Novalee encountered at the hospital. How does the hospital turn out to be a transitional point in the story? Give three reasons and explain why they are transitional.
Essay Topic 3
What are the ten most important events in the story? Explain the events in order of occurrence and explain why you believe they are the most important events.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)