|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simeon Luxe want Sequoyah to do?
2. What happens to Sequoyah after he helps Nora Drake and Rosemary do the chore they asked him to do?
3. Looking back on the events of his past, what does Sequoyah recognize that he wanted then?
4. After Sequoyah does what Nora Drake asked him to do, what makes him angry?
5. What kind of bird flies into Sequoyah's room when he is sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator and what is the time period of the novel?
2. Why had George been afraid of the shed in the back?
3. Who was Simeon Luxe and what happened to him?
4. How are foster homes different than shelters, according to Sequoyah?
5. What is significant about the two books that Rosemary gives Sequoyah to read?
6. What dessert do Milosz and Gertrude bring Sequoyah?
7. What is George's novel about?
8. How does George prefer to communicate with Sequoyah?
9. What does Agnes do to try and make Sequoyah feel welcome the first night?
10. What does Mr. Gillis tell Sequoyah when Sequoyah meets the teacher in the bathroom on his first day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give three traits of the relationship between Sequoyah and Rosemary, providing examples of each trait.
Essay Topic 2
What role do dreams and daydreams play in Sequoyah's life? Why are they important to him? Give three examples of dreams that affect Sequoyah.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the town in creating the atmosphere for the novel. Provide three examples of how the behaviors and/or characters in the town promote the unhealthy feeling of the story.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)